IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Getting Married is Too Much Work!

choralcrusader8613

I'm about 3 pages late in this comment but I don't think Amy's dress is too low cut. When you have a chest it can be really hard to find a dress. I got married in March and have a pretty large chest. During the fittings and at the wedding, I never felt over exposed in my dress but some of the pictures definitely make it look like my boobs were out. 

As a side note - I always wanted straps because of my chest but ended up loving a strapless dress and didn't want to ruin it ala Dugger-alterations.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, MoonFace said:

Alyssa's bridesmaid dresses make my eyes hurt

I feel your pain.

16 hours ago, divadivine said:

Alyssa's Wedding- It was like Malibu Barbie and her kid sister Skipper threw an 80's themed sorority mixer and a wedding sort of happened in the middle of everything. 

This is on point. lmao:pb_lol:

I wore a ruffled skirt with alternating bright blue and hot pink layers - the same as Alyssa's bridesmaid colours - to my year 10 end of year disco, with a matching hot pink ruffled off the shoulder top.  I regret getting ready at a friend's house, so the only photo of me is in the back row of a group.  Actually, maybe that's a good thing.  Ah, the 80s...fun times!

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Now the tween trap is called Justice. The sparkles and neon colors will blind you!

My DD (17) works there, she gets a kick ass discount so my sister who has a very tall 5 year old girl LOVES its.  My SIL loves it for her Maurice's discount, and I love the Lane Bryant discount. 40% off SWEET.  

My daughter used to LOVE getting her clothes from there so I shopped there a lot.  Had I known about the 40% off I would have gotten a part time job there just to keep that growing like a weed kid in pink sparkly clothes. 

18 hours ago, Karma said:
i didn't recognise her at first.

These Duggar girls/women are competing for the Rapunzel Olympics!  Looks like Joy has both Jessa and Jilly by a few inches.  At least Joy's hair is thick and full unlike Jills scraggle fest.    At a certain length, long hair tends to draw attention to other parts of the body and not their "countenances."

When I worked at Justice, it went up to like size 18. I sometimes had adult women shopping there for themselves. I'm 5'8" and at the time weighed about 150 lbs and I definitely could've fit into a lot of their stuff. The challenge is finding stuff that looks appropriate for an adult rather than a glitter-addicted preteen.

I LIVED in Limited Too clothes in middle school. After I grew out of that it was harder as I didn't like the Abercrombie/Hollister look very popular in schools, so I shopped mostly at Delia's.

Middle school clothing is so hard. I loved the teeny-bopper sparkle look, but I'm the same size now (as an adult woman) that I was in 8th grade (puberty came surprisingly early). Between 7th and 8th grade I grew 3 inches and gained 20+lbs, and went from a 00 to about a 5-7 where I still am (in one year guys). What's worse is that my boobs are small, so it all went to my butt/thighs. @singsingsing maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I could NOT FIT into those teeny bopper skinny sparkle jeans anymore. All this to say, I've pretty much splurged and only worn Express jeans since the 8th grade because they were the only pants that didn't make me cry in the fitting room. Yes, I'm not "fat." Yes, I had years of body image issues that culminated eventually in an eating disorder. But puberty can be so hard for young women, especially when there are limited (ha) clothing options for a GIRL with a more adult shape.

4 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

But puberty can be so hard for young women, especially when there are limited (ha) clothing options for a GIRL with a more adult shape.

Ugh, I feel you. Although, I was the opposite, I didn't have any butt or issues with jeans, but buttons have never been my friend. It was really difficult as a teen to be trying to find things in those stores, realizing that I couldn't fit into many of them. I wasn't fat, just I didn't have the chest room that I need. Or it was super stretched and didn't look right. It was hard! 

21 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

That was one I almost posted here. I ruled it out because of the back - can't have sweet, virginal Joy tempting those lustfilled wedding guests with a shot of her back.

(They could try and alter it to fit their standards. But why wish that on the poor dress? :pb_lol:)

I figured she could wear a white cami under it and her hair down to meet the modesty standards.

6 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

According to Kelly, Erin did want Michael as a bridesmaid, but Michael didn't want to be one. She wanted to stay in the background. She contributed by making the dresses (and she ended up walking one of the flower girls down the aisle because she (the flower girl) started crying. I think it was Callie.) Not sure what changed her mind for Alyssa's wedding.

IIRC, Erin's wedding was filmed for 19kc, and Michael didn't want to be featured. There was no Bates show at the time, and Alyssa's wasn't filmed.

15 minutes ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

IIRC, Erin's wedding was filmed for 19kc, and Michael didn't want to be featured. There was no Bates show at the time, and Alyssa's wasn't filmed.

Alyssa's was filmed, I can't remember by who but it was filmed. It just wasn't filmed by TLC. 

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Alyssa's was filmed, I can't remember by who but it was filmed. It just wasn't filmed by TLC. 

I think it was filmed by ABC news. 

6 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I forgot about that!

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

At which wedding did Gothard receive the birthday cake?

Erin's, I remember that very clearly. Except now it's the groom's cake. ;) 

6 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

You'd be correct. Here you guys go:

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Lifestyle/family-21-throws-wedding/story%3Fid%3D24508676

The only wedding thus far that hasn't been filmed somehow is Zach's. Likely because it was a month after Erin's, so TLC wouldn't have been interested, and Zach didn't marry into the family of a Congressperson (like Alyssa.)

Also possible is that Zach(and or Whitney) wasn't keen on being filmed.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

At which wedding did Gothard receive the birthday cake?

Erin's. I posted a photo of it on a Bates thread in the last month or two. Because the internet is forever, no matter how hard Kelly tries to scrub their blog clean.

I don't know how you all keep the Bateseses names straight. Also, all those bmaid's dresses need to burn in hell... blech

OK. About sizing of clothing for women/girls.

I absolutely HATE the names.

My daughter is tall and curvy and entering into Missy sizes from Junior. She just does NOT have the flat stomach/no ass/no boobs anymore. She can fit (barely, if  you ask me) into some juniors sizes, but they really don't match her shape.But they're JUNIOR, and she's the right AGE for Junior, and will NOT venture into Missy.

Missy fits her much better, with the relaxed fit for a booty, and a slightly larger bust allowance. BUT many stores seem to think that Missy is for OLD MARRIED WOMEN (you know, over 30). She hates the looks and won't shop unless it's "Jennifer Lopez"

And then there's me.. in the PLUS sizes. I admit I'm a large woman, but isn't there some better name! And I don't mind Quacker Factory, (you know, sparkly) but there's been this whole cult built around that, and I just don't want strange women quacking at me.

AACCKK!

6 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@singsingsing maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I could NOT FIT into those teeny bopper skinny sparkle jeans anymore.

I worked there in 2012, so it may very well have changed over the years. Also, I don't remember the jeans all that well. They may not have had the same size range as the rest of the clothes. I never tried any on. I know for sure there were shirts, dresses, and skirts that would've fit me, though. A nursing mother came in once and bought two of the maxi dresses for herself. Again, this was just a few years ago, so things may have changed.

On 4/20/2017 at 10:06 PM, Gillyweed said:

Is it just me, or do they look like siblings? I always find it funny/weird when I see a couple that look alike. 

I don't think so but a lot of people thought my husband and I looked like siblings. That's okay, still together 45 years and only thing alike is our blue eyes.

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Jessa's as the worst. Without all the beading, it would be the T-shirtiest T-shirt dress of them all, and I thought the skirt was kind of shapeless. Wasn't too big on the color either, which is weird because I've always loved unusual colors for wedding dresses. 

Joy, ditch the veil and do what I did, only on a grander scale (she has thrice the hair that I had on my wedding day) eta: except the 90's fringe. Ugh. But hey, it was the height of style then, and my hairdresser was pretty much every stereotype you can think of a gay guy working with hair. Sadly, he died of AIDS a few years later. 

IMG_0030.jpg

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

My daughter is tall and curvy and entering into Missy sizes from Junior...

Missy fits her much better, with the relaxed fit for a booty, and a slightly larger bust allowance. BUT many stores seem to think that Missy is for OLD MARRIED WOMEN (you know, over 30). She hates the looks and won't shop unless it's "Jennifer Lopez"

And then there's me.. in the PLUS sizes. I admit I'm a large woman, but isn't there some better name! And I don't mind Quacker Factory, (you know, sparkly) but there's been this whole cult built around that, and I just don't want strange women quacking at me.

Ugh, I was the same as a teen. I was 5'10" in ninth grade and finally began to fill out. I certainly wasn't overweight, but I suddenly had hips and shoulders and breasts and could not fit into super petite teenybopper clothing anymore. But still, I was fifteen, so I looked a little weird in the elastic waist pencil skirts and nautical themed twinsets in the Liz Claiborne section. I would totally recommend Victoria's Secret clothing to her, but they stopped selling clothes a few years ago, to the pain of tall women under 40 everywhere. 

Also--I always think of The Soup whenever I think of Quacker Factory. I had no idea when two Quacker-sporting women passed each other they were supposed to signify like when two jeeps pass on a highway. 

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

My daughter is tall and curvy and entering into Missy sizes from Junior. She just does NOT have the flat stomach/no ass/no boobs anymore. She can fit (barely, if  you ask me) into some juniors sizes, but they really don't match her shape.But they're JUNIOR, and she's the right AGE for Junior, and will NOT venture into Missy.

AACCKK!

Have you tried H&M? Some of their pants are cut small but you can find some cute non-frumpy pieces there. I have a similar issue- I'm not tall but I'm more hourglass shaped so finding pants etc that fit me is a mess. I'm not a teen (mid-20s) but I also don't really want to look "matronly". American Eagle and Charlotte Russe have good jeans in a variety of cuts and sizes. AE is higher quality but can get pricey, CR carries super small through plus sizes and higher rise options at a low-ish price point. Tops are a bit trickier, and I consider myself ~average~ size wise (c cup) so I'm probably not qualified to offer advice there lol. Kohl's is another good place to look. They're not the coolest place to shop but they have a lot of options and always have great sales.

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

AACCKK!

Has your daughter discovered ASOS online?   They have everything from basics to super on trend pieces for a very very reasonable price.  They have petite, regular sizes and a very extensive "curve" range that includes many of their fashion forward items.  

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived