IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Getting Married is Too Much Work!

choralcrusader8613

I like Jinger's the best; the dress looks real and her hair is the best too.  

Anna is so unadorned, Jill's too much neck and shoulder fabric, Jessa....more like a little girl playing dress-up.  

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

I like Jinger's the best; the dress looks real and her hair is the best too.  

Anna is so unadorned, Jill's too much neck and shoulder fabric, Jessa....more like a little girl playing dress-up.  

The top and sleeves of Anna's looks like a plain white t-shirt. The fact that it was not properly fitted adds to the t-shirt effect. 

And borrowing it doesn't excuse the ill fit. If you're going to wear someone else's dress, get it altered to properly fit. My guess, though, is that it fit that badly on purpose to be "modest". 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Best I could do.

IMG_5562.thumb.JPG.662d946f85715198b53e0907b7ad03da.JPG

I believe Anna borrowed her dress from her sister, which is why it may not have fit exactly right. I still think she looked lovely though - ridiculously young looking though! Talk about baby face! Lol!

Thanks for doing this!

My thoughts at this point:

Anna's wedding makes me feel kind of heartbroken, and I can't fully explain why that is -- I think part of it is just the general sentimental vibe paired with how young, sheltered, and vulnerable she was... which you can really see it in that picture. :\ I can't really judge her dress (though I'm not looking to shame anyone who does on here).

I love Jill's veil and much of the fabric of her gown (especially around the neckline) - but that's pretty much it. Ultimately, it's the Dress-That-Could-Have-Been to me, primarily because of how loose and ill-fitting it is and the awkward way the skirt sits... in addition to the sash, which seemed really out of place with the rest of the dress and the season and just... ugggggh not a fan. But yknow, she seems happy in it so that's good at least; I just feel frustrated looking at it given I'm usually a fan of this style of dress and really want to like it, but just can't :\

Jessa and Jinger's dresses are super gorgeous, though I agree with others who've noted that Jessa's has a heavy prom vibe. They fit, though! Which really makes the dresses look that much better.

Maybe it's just me - but the layout and design of Jinger's wedding felt really, really weird to me. Or maybe it was just how TLC filmed it? Idk but I would have loved to see more shots of her dress from the back, facing the altar. And maybe for there to have been a little more on stage than that effin V - like if whatsherface had added some different flowers matching her bouquet next to the sign to tie it all together or something.

If I recall, Anna (and her sisters) sewed her wedding dress. She borrowed the design of the bridesmaid dresses from her sister, but those were made too. 

Was it just an unfortunate shot, or did Anna always carry her head so far ahead of her body?  It looks uncomfortable.

I have to admit though, that I went through a phase where I put my head down and looked up at the camera when someone tried to take a picture of me.  I was simultaneously trying to make my weak chin stand out and show off my long eye lashes.  I eventually realized it wasn't working, but I still can't take a good picture.  At least Anna looks good no matter how she's holding her head.

@mizandryI think part of the issue with Jill's dress is the fact that she was the first daughter married and she doesn't seem overly concerned with fashion. The Duggars and TLC have improved something with each wedding so far. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues with Joy and the others.

I do still like her's though. I'm a big fan of the lace and the general idea of the dress. I think Jill (or maybe her parents) wanted it altered a bit looser because modesty. It doesn't look bad on her though and the modesty alterations on the bodice could have been a lot worse. 

Jessa looked really beautiful. But I do get what people mean when they point out the prom dress thing. It kinda led resemble a prom dress... too bad that's the closest she ever got to attending one. She did a great job of balancing the ridiculous modesty standards with something she liked and looked great in though.

Jinger did even better than Jessa dress-wise. Only complaint I would have about her's is the long train... but I'm also that person who didn't want a train at all and kept her's bundled the entire wedding. :pb_lol:

And just so she isn't left out...

IMG_5569.thumb.JPG.bd101f9463ca984a75f3a3d6c67137c2.JPG

Amy, the little Duggar that 100% missed her Uncle's modesty standard memo.

ETA: I actually loved Amy's dress and overall look. She wore something that fit pretty well, she looked absolutely gorgeous, and she radiates happiness. Their wedding photos are miles better than any of her cousins' - amazing what actually spending time alone with your fiance and getting to do things like holding their hand or kissing them can do.

I personally loved Jessa's dress. I would so wear that myself, it's beautiful. Jingers is beautiful too and I would wear it but I don't like sleeves.

I think they all looked nice... Anna borrowed her dress from her sister (I'm sure she borrowed it, not sewed it), and the t-shirt dress trend was still going pretty strong when she got married in 2008. So aside from the fact that it was too big for her, she was basically on trend in fundie/modest circles. Jill's dress wasn't my favourite, and also didn't fit quite right, but she looked nice. I loved Jessa's dress, and I used to think I'd wear one just like it if I ever got married, but now it does seem a bit too young (I'm in my late 20s, though - she was in her early 20s). Jinger's was probably the best fitting, and I really liked it as well, but I think Jessa's might still be my favourite?

Actually, Amy's was really my favourite. Even though it was too small on top. I'm not saying she had too much cleavage, it was literally too small. But other than that, it was very elegant and flattering and I'm a big fan of the sweetheart neckline.

It'll be interesting to see what Joy wears. I could definitely see cowboy boots making an appearance. Or some kind of other non-wedding shoe, maybe for herself and the whole wedding party, which they'll of course conspicuously show off for the camera. (Not knocking the non-wedding shoe trend - I fully expect to wear Toms if I ever get married - mostly because I want my feet to be comfortable, but still).

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It'll be interesting to see what Joy wears. I could definitely see cowboy boots making an appearance. Or some kind of other non-wedding shoe, maybe for herself and the whole wedding party, which they'll of course conspicuously show off for the camera. (Not knocking the non-wedding shoe trend - I fully expect to wear Toms if I ever get married - mostly because I want my feet to be comfortable, but still).

I wore these really cute patterned Keds that actually went with my colors (white shoes with color accents). I did not complain about my feet once throughout the whole day and love that I still get to wear them frequently. 

My Eastern European seamstress def shamed me for it though :pb_lol:

43 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I wore these really cute patterned Keds that actually went with my colors (white shoes with color accents). I did not complain about my feet once throughout the whole day and love that I still get to wear them frequently. 

I'm a big fan of wearing shoes you feel comfortable in. I bought wedding shoes at David's Bridal - low heel, ivory, pretty crystal work, and on sale (so I paid less than $40 for them.) They weren't super comfortable, but they fit well and I made it through the whole wedding without much trouble. 

The strapless bra/bodice thing I wore was another story. Stupid thing had to be worn tight and was uncomfortable during dinner. I wound up changing into a regular bra during dancing because I was getting a little lightheaded. The back of the bra may have been just visible, but I was comfortable and my hair was long enough to cover most of it. So I'm calling it a win.

(I still own the shoes, bra, and hair clip. I donated my dress to Brides Across America - because it was taking up space and I wanted someone else to feel beautiful in it.)

@singsingsingMaybe whatever Amy wore underneath was too tight? Not sure. The top was a bit too tight. It's easier to see in some photos where her arms are down or by her side.

But she definitely had one of my favorite looks - elegant and classy and fit her personality well. She made the happiest and most relaxed looking bride out of all the Duggars thus far (thank you somewhat normal upbringing!) 

@VelociRapture I'm not a seamstress or a fashion expert (or anything remotely close, lol) but the top of Amy's dress just looked straight up too small to me. I think she just needed to go a size or so up. She looked lovely, though.

It was this photo of Amy's dress that made me think it was too small. It's also the pose of the picture, but combined with the other pictures where Dillon's arms aren't under her chest, the top was definitely pretty tight. Maybe that's exactly the look she was going for, though. She still looked lovely.IMG_6630.JPG.ad231142f495b108f02a94fae9fc670e.JPG

[mention=18856]VelociRapture[/mention] I'm not a seamstress or a fashion expert (or anything remotely close, lol) but the top of Amy's dress just looked straight up too small to me. I think she just needed to go a size or so up. She looked lovely, though.

There was one picture of Amy where I thought she looked ready to pop out of the top

Amy's boobs look great in that photo, IMO. :pb_lol: If I had any to speak of I'd try to push them up too.

Regarding wedding shoes, I don't know if anyone remembers the clothing store Deb, I bought little white lace ballet flats for a few dollars there, they looked gorgeous but after a long, long night of dancing I realized what a mistake it was to buy cheap shoes. The soles were coming off and my foot was bleeding. I was walking like I had just finished a decathlon the next morning. 

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I think they all looked nice... Anna borrowed her dress from her sister (I'm sure she borrowed it, not sewed it), and the t-shirt dress trend was still going pretty strong when she got married in 2008. So aside from the fact that it was too big for her, she was basically on trend in fundie/modest circles. Jill's dress wasn't my favourite, and also didn't fit quite right, but she looked nice. I loved Jessa's dress, and I used to think I'd wear one just like it if I ever got married, but now it does seem a bit too young (I'm in my late 20s, though - she was in her early 20s). Jinger's was probably the best fitting, and I really liked it as well, but I think Jessa's might still be my favourite?

Actually, Amy's was really my favourite. Even though it was too small on top. I'm not saying she had too much cleavage, it was literally too small. But other than that, it was very elegant and flattering and I'm a big fan of the sweetheart neckline.

T-shirt wedding dresses were a trend in 2008? Really? Where? Do you mean a fundy trend? I bought my wedding dress in September of 2008--possibly on the day Josh and Anna got married as it was a Saturday in late September and didn't see dresses with crew necks and t-shirt sleeves anywhere. Not in the bridal salons we shopped at. Not in the magazines. Frankly, at that time, it was a huge struggle just to find anything that was not strapless. I did not want strapless. Or halter style which was the on-trend alternative. I wanted sleeveless but even that was hard to find. 

26 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

T-shirt wedding dresses were a trend in 2008? Really? Where? Do you mean a fundy trend? 

Yes. That's why I said, "she was basically on trend in fundie/modest circles." :) 

I still love Jessa's dress; it may look like a prom dress but I still love it. Anna looks so sweet, it breaks my heart for her. She had no idea what her life would look like nearly 10 years later. :( 

12 hours ago, mizandry said:

I love Jill's veil and much of the fabric of her gown (especially around the neckline) - but that's pretty much it. Ultimately, it's the Dress-That-Could-Have-Been to me, primarily because of how loose and ill-fitting it is and the awkward way the skirt sits... in addition to the sash, which seemed really out of place with the rest of the dress and the season and just... ugggggh not a fan. But yknow, she seems happy in it so that's good at least; I just feel frustrated looking at it given I'm usually a fan of this style of dress and really want to like it, but just can't :\

Agreed--the fit makes it look very matronly to me. And she was only what--22, 23 years old? 

It's funny, the elements of Jessa's dress are all things I don't like--low back, princess style, blush, bling. But all together it is a beautiful dress and looks wonderful on her.

I also appreciate that Jessa and Jinger styled their hair (Jessa has ridiculously gorgeous hair so that sort of helps) and it makes the looks so much more polished. Jill and Anna just look a bit disheveled to me. Like they're trying on their dress in front of family rather than wearing it on their wedding day. I know I'm a total snoot about this, but it just seems like if you're going to have this huge wedding and have a thousand pictures taken, you'd have someone style your hair for the day?

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

My sister wore purple toms at her wedding. :) 

So I'm definitely going against the majority but I like Jill's dress.  I like Jinger's dress too.  I'm no fashionista though.  I don't like Amy's dress. DISCLAIMER: I don't like showing my chest.  I think they all looked good in their respective dresses and they were all happy.  

1 minute ago, Pasta said:

So I'm definitely going against the majority but I like Jill's dress.  I like Jinger's dress too.  I'm no fashionista though.  I don't like Amy's dress. DISCLAIMER: I don't like showing my chest.  I think they all looked good in their respective dresses and they were all happy.  

I'm not a fashionista either. I liked Jill's and Jinger's dresses. I LOVE Jessa's. Amy's is not my cup of tea (at all), but she looked really happy, and so to me she looked gorgeous. 

Thank you @VelociRapture for putting the pics of them side by side. I loved seeing them all together.

P.S. I did not like all the different BM's dresses at Jinger's wedding. Yuck. I'm sure it's my lack of style/fashion sense.

My takes:

Anna -- Oh honey no. Points for simplicity, but that's, as my grandma would say, a schmatte. Doesn't fit, doesn't flatter her at all, just looks kind of thrown on. And what did your very lovely hair do to deserve those crunchy curls? Bridesmaids' dresses were very...high school show choir.

Jill -- She looked very happy and I love her veil and sort of hippie hair (since that's how she rolls), but I wish she'd gone with a more hippie-ish dress to match. The sash was too much, the fit was too loose, and I'm irritated at her for her Modesty Martyr antics with her dress and her bridesmaids' dresses (which were a very nice color, so points for that).

Jessa -- too prom-y for my taste, but she looked incredible. Great hair, beautiful blush color that complemented her skin and hair wonderfully, and it came modest right out of the box. Bridesmaids' dresses were too spring-y for the season and sort of looked like something you'd just grab off the clearance rack at Old Navy rather than a semiformal dress, though I thought the color was nice, and they would make serviceable everyday dresses.

Jinger -- YAS QUEEN. Only one I would wear without hesitation. Loved her updo, loved the dress (though maybe the skirt is just a little too bell-shaped), and loved the bridesmaids' dresses save for color clashing issues.

Amy -- I'm a sucker for simple, so I do like this, though her boobs looked like they were about to escape and the bodice was hanging on for dear life yelling "OK, OK, fine, you can wear pants and go to Crown! Happy now?"

5 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

100% pro wearing comfortable shoes. I wore converse and my wife wore adidas, since that's what we each wear on a regular basis. They matched our dresses. Our seamstresses were beside themselves but everyone else thought it looked cool. Plus when the reception came, dancing was GREAT.

Spoiler

michelle-leslie-elopement-600.thumb.jpg.e228ac603b9e74b5dbcdd3919f713baf.jpg

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived