IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Getting Married is Too Much Work!

choralcrusader8613

I didn't realize I guess until now how low Jessa's neckline was and that it was scoop.

Also I haven't been married, but for my sorority semi formals and formals, I always wore my uggs to catch the bus while everyone else wore their heels and I will definitely keep this up if I get married. My heels were always under the table and I would only whip them out for pictures. I think I was also really used to dancing in socks because of the many times I used to go to bar/bat mitzvah's growing up :P

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing that has always confused me about fundie weddings is why dont they just buy off the rack modest instead of taking a nice dress and making it look weird. When I was shopping for dresses several of the dresses I tried on would have fit their modest rules, I wasnt looking for anything modest it just so happened that some of the dresses I liked were more covered up than others.

Hell even davids bridal has stuff that would be very modest

I think poor Anna demonstrates here why some women desire a vow renewal.  She is a beautiful woman and has updated her hair (and everything) from this horrific crunchy-I'm-godly-as-shit look.  So, maybe we will see Anna and Josh renew their vows.  And, if they do, I think we will know the real reason.  :wink:

And I still think that Jinger looked beautiful and elegant and classic.  Her entire look is my favourite, so far.

I don't know. I think Anna would try to wear the same dress. She certainly can still fit into it; it might be even bigger on her now. And the girls would be able to wear the same bridesmaid dresses. I'm sure they're hanging around somewhere.

I don't care about modesty standards, but Jessa's dress is 110% something I would wear myself, but like someone else noted, maybe not now because I am 30 years old and it might seem a little young if I wore something like that for my wedding. As someone who is very busty, I'll likely have to go the 'modest' route for a wedding dress because anything strapless or low-cut because I don't want to be too 'cleavagey' in my wedding pics. 

Back to Jessa though. Her dress managed to be modest in the way she wanted (or should I say, the way her controlling parents demanded) it to be without being ugly or looking frumpy. I also liked jinger's dress a lot. JillyMuffin (along with Erin Bates) was a classic example of why you should just pick something already modest rather than sewing a T-Shirt into a strapless dress. It's not like it is impossible, places like Latter Day Bride or Allure's modest line have a huge selection of 'modest' dresses. 

I liked Amy's look actually.....but a lot of it was because she looked happy and that radiated in her pictures. 

As for Anna, I feel so sorry for her. Setting aside the issues of WHO she married, it was a mess of a look. She is actually a reasonably pretty woman, but that isn't reflected in the crunchy curls and bland and ill-fitting dress. 

(Look back at wedding pics has made me realise JUST how badly Joshley and DeWreck have aged). 

I don't get why they couldn't adorn Anna's dress AT ALL. A little glittery/jeweled belt, or hell even just some jewels sewn along the end of the sleeve maybe. SOMETHING to make it not look like just a white sack. Surely that can't be so hard they would have been incapable of it? I can't imagine Anna really wanted her dress THAT plain (but if she did then hey, good for her)

21 minutes ago, zadie said:

I don't get why they couldn't adorn Anna's dress AT ALL. A little glittery/jeweled belt, or hell even just some jewels sewn along the end of the sleeve maybe. SOMETHING to make it not look like just a white sack. Surely that can't be so hard they would have been incapable of it? I can't imagine Anna really wanted her dress THAT plain (but if she did then hey, good for her)

yes! if you look at Priscilla Waller's wedding dress it was similar in "style" to Anna's, but Priscilla's fit so much better than her sister's and had some lovely detailing to the bodice. if I were Anna I'd be jealous haha.

1 hour ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

yes! if you look at Priscilla Waller's wedding dress it was similar in "style" to Anna's, but Priscilla's fit so much better than her sister's and had some lovely detailing to the bodice. if I were Anna I'd be jealous haha.

Rereading this I realize I got all Jill Rodrigues with the unnecessary emphasis. :pb_lol:

What can I say? I'm very passionate about other people's wedding dresses!

11 hours ago, louisa05 said:

T-shirt wedding dresses were a trend in 2008? Really? Where? Do you mean a fundy trend? I bought my wedding dress in September of 2008--possibly on the day Josh and Anna got married as it was a Saturday in late September and didn't see dresses with crew necks and t-shirt sleeves anywhere. Not in the bridal salns we shopped at. Not in the magazines. Frankly, at that time, it was a huge struggle just to find anything that was not strapless. I did not want strapless. Or halter style which was the on-trend alternative. I wanted sleeveless but even that was hard to find. 

You mean this neckline? :pb_lol: DH & I circa 1996 (9-21-96 to be exact).  The dress wasn't my idea, I guy pressured by everyone to get it because they were "bored" an hour into my 1st store appointment, we had 2 other others that day we canceled on. 

1384195_10151725926113736_1830418624_n.jpg

Out of all the dresses, I like Jessa's. It looked like it was made just for her...the color, the fabric, and the bling.

My wedding shoes were silver ballerina slippers with a little bit of bling. My bridesmaids (my nieces) bought them and added the bling. I loved them! It was so sweet of them to do that.

12 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My takes:

Anna -- Oh honey no. Points for simplicity, but that's, as my grandma would say, a schmatte. Doesn't fit, doesn't flatter her at all, just looks kind of thrown on. And what did your very lovely hair do to deserve those crunchy curls? Bridesmaids' dresses were very...high school show choir.

I' going to say something positive about Anna's and her bridesmaids' dresses. Out of all the Duggar girl wedding gowns I liked her's second best (after Jinger's wedding dress). Why? Because it was simple, very modest (the most modest one out of all of them), and timeless. Plus I think it fitted her very well, not too small, as some people here said. I thought  Jessa's and Amy's dresses look too much 2010-ish and too much of their time period. They will look at their wedding pictures in 10 or 20 years from now and say, oh well, that was the fashion back then (the blush color (Jessa), the shoulderless, backless, deep cleavage dress (Amy)), and as for Jill, I'm sorry, but the fitting was bad and she should have worn shoes and done something different with her hair.

But overall, they all looked happy and had dresses that fitted more or less to their style and personalities. So the dresses are not that bad, sorry, if it  sounds that way in the passage above.

Plus: Anna's bridesmaids' dresses looked so elegant and timeless. I would wear then in a heartbeat!

11 hours ago, psycho-hope said:

The one thing that has always confused me about fundie weddings is why dont they just buy off the rack modest instead of taking a nice dress and making it look weird.

Price and time. I believe the modest line of Allure Bridal (what Jessa had) would cost at least $1k. I believe the Venus and Bonny modest lines are a bit cheaper but not by much. Especially if you have multiple other daughters to buy dresses for and you don't have TLC forking out the $. 

(This is why I think the Duggar wedding dresses have got progressively more expensive, once the focus went strongly on the weddings as Very Special Events).

And even if you can afford it, most dresses take 6 months to make and fundie engagements are shorter than that. I think Jessa might have got lucky and got a sample, or a TLC-sponsored rush order. I think Jinger's was ordered directly from China via her bridal store so that's normally quicker - but again, not a cheap option. 

Hell even davids bridal has stuff that would be very modest

Not modest enough though. I just looked then, and while there are quite a few with high necklines, they're mostly sheer or illusion necklines, which I believe is out under Gothard rules, or they have low, sheer or keyhole backs.

The only ones I could find is this, but it's $1.3k and the back may be too low, this ($500, a bit sheer though), this ($650, also possibly too sheer) and this ($500). 

The main one that fits the bill is this one, because not only is it the right style, it's also $99. Which explains why I think I've seen it at quite a few fundie weddings. Even then, I think the neckline might be 1/2 inch too low for the Maxwells and a few others.

I mean, I was reading about Chatfield's bridal, which is a modest-only bridal store out of St Louis. The owner ended up having to close the physical store because, even though her dresses were mostly under $1k and cheaper than the standard bridal labels, she was finding her customers basically wanted to spend under $300 on their dresses and she couldn't sell enough of them.

I'm very interested in seeing which style Joy (and eventually) Jana go for, for their weddings.

Joy will probably have a country themed wedding, with cowboy boots under her dress. The most casual dress of them all.

Jana, I imagine her in the most lace-adorned dress yet. A trumpet style.

3 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I'm very interested in seeing which style Joy (and eventually) Jana go for, for their weddings.

Joy will probably have a country themed wedding, with cowboy boots under her dress. The most casual dress of them all.

Josie will be in a sequined mini-dress at an Elvis-themed chapel in Vegas. A girl can dream.

On 29 April 2017 at 7:08 AM, Jinder Roles said:

If I recall, Anna (and her sisters) sewed her wedding dress. She borrowed the design of the bridesmaid dresses from her sister, but those were made too. 

Didn't Anna borrow her dress from Esther?

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You mean this neckline? :pb_lol: DH & I circa 1996 (9-21-96 to be exact).  The dress wasn't my idea, I guy pressured by everyone to get it because they were "bored" an hour into my 1st store appointment, we had 2 other others that day we canceled on. 

1384195_10151725926113736_1830418624_n.jpg

It's a lovely dress. I chose sleeves that length back in 1989. 

So many people 'advised' me what dress they thought would suit me that I gave up, and went shopping by myself very early one Saturday morning. I bought the second dress that I tried on having spotted it on a sale rail!

Low heeled comfy ivory shoes from the same store and hugely discounted due to sale prices. Sorted!!

I hate shopping.

Yes, Esther wore the same dress that Anna did.

I liked JInger's dress the most of all.

I like Michael Bates Keilen's dress ,too.

I love Jinger's dress and I think she looked amazing. However, if I had to choose MY wedding dress  out of those, it 100% would be Jessa's. It is less princessy and more fun. Jinger's pick was really a good decision for the church they had the ceremony in, it was very elegant and classy. The one Jessa had looked much more comfy, and I do love the color! Amy's dress looked great on her, but I personally don't like the style. Kudos for keeping it simple.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:02 AM, singsingsing said:

-snip-
It'll be interesting to see what Joy wears. I could definitely see cowboy boots making an appearance. Or some kind of other non-wedding shoe, maybe for herself and the whole wedding party, which they'll of course conspicuously show off for the camera. (Not knocking the non-wedding shoe trend - I fully expect to wear Toms if I ever get married - mostly because I want my feet to be comfortable, but still).

I was going to share a pic of my cowboy boots from my reception, but couldn't find any in the five minute search on my computer :P  But yeah, I loved wearing mine!  My mother about had a heart attack when I said I was going to wear them in the church, and insisted on something "classier" - the compromise was me changing into them as soon as we left the church ;)  Most of the guests (and vendors) got a kick out them (no pun intended)

23 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

- snip -
(I still own the shoes, bra, and hair clip. I donated my dress to Brides Across America - because it was taking up space and I wanted someone else to feel beautiful in it.)

Thanks for sharing this!  I've been contemplating donating my wedding dress, and sounds like a great organization :D

I'd love to see Joy in something like this:

94dc0cc6e8fbb64af4f706e2fe297d19.jpg

She seems like she'd be into the whole country-chic look, and I've seen her in full skirts a lot, so I think she'd look super cute in this.

Though she'd look even cuter in pants, far away from her family, single af, and going to college or working.

My older sister rented her wedding dress.  She said that keeping it was just going to take up space and by the time any of her future children got married the styles would be so different that they wouldn't want to wear it anyway.

I bought my wedding outfit, but it was just a skirt and top set I got for around $25, and I gave it to Goodwill after that because I hate dresses.

My younger sister bought her dress, paid to have it cleaned and stored after the wedding, and fully expected at least one of her daughters to want to wear it.  But after her first marriage broke up, she got rid of it, she never wanted to see it again.

55 minutes ago, Fun Undies said:

Thanks for sharing this!  I've been contemplating donating my wedding dress, and sounds like a great organization :D

You're welcome! It's a really great charity to work with. They help military Brides/military fiancées find nice dresses. Made me really happy that my dress would be able to help another couple make some beautiful memories.

Fpr anyone interested, here's the website: http://bridesacrossamerica.com/

6 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I hope Joy goes for a short dress, just for the fun of it.  She's so young and still has a bit of spunkines in her, so a cute and flirty (as flirty and the wardens will allow) a cute birdcage veil. It would show off how young and fun she is but still be bridal and glamorous. 

Not sure about a trumpet dress for Jana, I see her in more of a lacy sheath with cap sleeves and small scoop neckline. 

This is my pick for Joy: something young, poofy and fun but not as lacy/girly as what her sisters wore:

TB7698-1000x1320.thumb.jpg.4bf18ac83d78f2118834ff377622263c.jpg

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived