IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Getting Married is Too Much Work!

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

modest-vintage-wedding-dress-1.jpg

I would also love to see Joy in something like this! classic/vintage-y and very natural looking. she could make the neckline a little higher, like Jinger's was, and it would still look so gorgeous on her. 

That kind of reminds me of Michelle's / grandma Mary's dress.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I thought these were all of Anna at first! 

Annas dress flowed well at the back. It was a plain dress but it did suit Anna. She has a slight build. Anything too fussy would have looked overwhelming on her.

Anna is a beautiful woman. Compare Josh in his wedding photos to Josh at the Easter gathering at the Blue Pecan house. Wow. Different guy. He is not aging well.

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

That kind of reminds me of Michelle's / grandma Mary's dress.

I don't know if it does to me. :think:

modest-vintage-wedding-dress-1.jpg.468ab48369cbd6d24b45307ac8948ec8.jpg

Screenshot_20170501-155359.thumb.jpg.f4dd74af0d27648006264d892c75d20e.jpg

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

With all the "seamstresses" in the family why don't these girls MAKE their own wedding dresses?  A gal I went to HS did this, I was looking at her wedding pictures and complimented her dress and she said thanks I made it myself.  It would have to be cheaper to make a dress to your asinine modesty standards than to buy one and pay to have it altered.  Or in Anna's case save from having to wear your sisters ugly/plain ill fitting dress. Anna and her sisters made all the brides maids dresses why not add a wedding gown into to that? 

I can't really hold this against them. Their wedding dresses are probably the first items of clothing they haven't had to share with anyone. I don't think it's unreasonable to want something they don't have to make themselves or something they may not have the skills to sew themselves (though it'd be phenomenal if they picked dresses that are either already modest or easy to alter to be modest rather than sacrifice an innocent dress who did nothing wrong.)

I have never seen evidence that any of them can sew well enough to do other than mend. If you look at the blue bridesmaids dresses worn for Anna's wedding, they are the most complex sewing done, and some of them were clearly not clipped over bust seams, nor were they pressed very well. There were puckers at seamlines, and while not horrifying, they were very amateurish.

The dresses for Jill's wedding? The added on pieces were uneven and horrible looking.  If these people truly did a lot of sewing, there would be evidence of it in these garments. Of course, if nobody ever told them to:

change a machine needle periodically, at least once per garment

dust out the bobbin area

check the tension on a scrap piece first

get their scissors sharpened periodically

use the proper weight thread in both top and bobbin

use the proper stitch length

use the proper stitch setting when sewing knits (such as Jill's bridesmaid dresses)

Then they would get bad results, as they clearly have.

22 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I can't really hold this against them. Their wedding dresses are probably the first items of clothing they haven't had to share with anyone. I don't think it's unreasonable to want something they don't have to make themselves or something they may not have the skills to sew themselves (though it'd be phenomenal if they picked dresses that are either already modest or easy to alter to be modest rather than sacrifice an innocent dress who did nothing wrong.)

But Anna didn't get her own dress, she got her sister's hand-me down dress, I know her parents were broke but they could have gotten material or found a David's Bridal deal and gotten a dress for $100.  I do agree the way they torture slutty wedding dresses to make them Godly, why? 

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I don't know if it does to me. :think:

Oh geez. Nothing alike. Maybe I was thinking of her prom dress.

I loved Jinger's wedding dress, I think she looked stunning. Jessa's dress was beautiful but the blush color thing wasn't my favorite for a wedding. I vaguely remember Sarah Jessica Parker saying one of her biggest regrets was not wearing white at her wedding, but I think she might have worn black?

Off to look online at wedding dresses for myself now, thanks for reminding me that I still haven't chosen one. I'm the worst bride-to-be in terms of wedding planning, but we're eloping so it's a lot more low key.

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Oh geez. Nothing alike. Maybe I was thinking of her prom dress.

Is this the dress you were thinking of?

Spoiler

20170501_193539.thumb.png.735b8734a0a4ba737557ff02b729a467.png

It's a lot closer to the one @ihaveanexamintwodays posted.

Spoiler

modest-vintage-wedding-dress-1.jpg.68fc7cf35c30441db9bd0c5a94da85fb.jpg

I could see this with cowboy boots. No alterations needed and plenty of room in the skirt to show off her kicks if she so chooses (since we're all sure she's going the cowboy boot route...or barefoot...no in between with Joy)

m531f_large.jpeg

11 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

modest-vintage-wedding-dress-1.jpg

I would also love to see Joy in something like this! classic/vintage-y and very natural looking. she could make the neckline a little higher, like Jinger's was, and it would still look so gorgeous on her. 

My 1983 Prom Dress....lol

I loved it, still in the closet. It was off white.

Of all the Duggar wedding dresses, I think Jill's was by far the worst. A wedding dress isn't supposed to just be pretty, it's supposed to enhance the bride.  I always feel that when a bride finds the dress it really shows; the dress compliments the bride and the bride in turn also make the dress look even better. Jill's imo did absolutely nothing for her; the top was way too bulky and the waistline seemed off. I wish Jill instead would have gone full bohemian look, perhaps a bit like Tatiana Santo Domingo's wedding dress but with a more defined waistline.

Spoiler

4868920b40da5717f90c2348a236785f.thumb.jpg.2be820812ad54164065bcf5f34f82e45.jpg

As for Anna wearing her sister's dress: Has she ever discussed why she used Rebekah's dress? Perhaps wearing her sister's dress was very special to her, and something she actually wanted to do. The current Swedish king has 4 older sisters, two of whom were always very close. They decided when they were young (teenagers I believe?) that they would wear the same dress, so when princess Desirée got married in 1964 she wore the same dress her older sister Birgitta had worn three years earlier. 

Now that you've posted Michelle's/Gma Mary's dress, I'm going to cast my vote as that one is my favorite Duggar wedding dress. Michelle looks stunning there, much better than her vow renewal monstrosity. 

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

But Anna didn't get her own dress, she got her sister's hand-me down dress, I know her parents were broke but they could have gotten material or found a David's Bridal deal and gotten a dress for $100.  I do agree the way they torture slutty wedding dresses to make them Godly, why? 

Anna may have wanted to wear that dress. Or maybe she decided to save the money allocated for making a dress to spend elsewhere. It fit her relatively well and she looked happy enough. 

But I was actually thinking more about the Duggar daughters (sorry for not being clearer.) The Duggar biological daughters have more money to work with because TLC. So, as I said before, I'm not going to fault them for wanting to buy a dress rather than sew it themselves. You shouldn't really spend money you don't have, but if you have the money you can do what you want as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know, @MoonFace. That one looks a little TOO literal. I see Joy Anna in something like lace or tulle with the filthy boots.

I'm loving the thread drift. As a non girlie female it's good fun. Cowboy boots would be fun and practical for everyday life after the wedding. Please not bare foot Joy!

4 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I don't know, @MoonFace. That one looks a little TOO literal. I see Joy Anna in something like lace or tulle with the filthy boots

Another option?

5b3e1765671d4130266da76e50031062.jpg

What is it with so many  thinking Joy is an 80's cowgirl?  She may not be a fashionista but I don't think she is dated/cliche either.  I think most people picture rustic country charm not 80's cowgirl.  Besides there is no way Jessa, Jinger or Jana would let her wear anything as, unflattering as some of the options shown here. 

6 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Another option?

5b3e1765671d4130266da76e50031062.jpg

NO!  Something more like this.  

dress neckline.jpg

Even something like this would be fun and cute, especially if they get married at the camp, in the fall.  Maybe loose the bow or make it smaller but I love the skirt. 

eskuvo-ruha-oszi.jpg

So this thread has prompted me to look at all the Duggar/Bates wedding dresses and bridesmaid's dresses.  IMO the best dress of the bunch is a tie between Jessa and Jinger, loved them both.  Jill's was awful and Anna's was restricted by budget.  It wasn't terrible but it was a simple tee shirt dress.  Erin and Michael's dresses were terrible "Let's make these dresses modest" ridiculousnesses.  Whitney's was moderately better.  Alyssa's was the best.  The bridesmaid's dresses are generally bad.  Jill's were cheap and poorly altered, Jessa's were ok but too plain and I admit I hate the color.  Anna's were ok for the time and budget, very old school.  Alyssa's were that hideous sateen in obnoxious colors.  I'd have liked them marginally better if she only did one color.  Michael's were super frumpy and while I didn't mind the pink ones the beige ones were hideous.  Jinger's would have been nice if she had limited the colors a little.  Some of the colors I really liked and others just didn't go.  Whitney's were the nicest of all.  I don't generally like black bridesmaid's dresses, but they were elegant.  

I can see Joy in something like this: simple, outdoorsy , country, and I think it'll really suit her body type

IMG_0996.PNG

1 minute ago, VBOY9977 said:

I can see Joy in something like this: simple, outdoorsy , country, and I think it'll really suit her body type

IMG_0996.PNG

I want this for myself....but alas at the rate I'm going I won't be married for another 10 years.... 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived