IGNORED

Jinger/Jeremy: Not as Interesting as Jingerbread

choralcrusader8613

@snarkysuki1724@Four is Enough@Fourcard5At least  you two have an excuse! I don't have one. While I am good in choosing a t-shirt-jeans combination (well, I am totally able to wear a green shirt with coral pants and a violet jacket) , I am horrible when it comes to formal or glamorous dress codes. But at one point during my dressing education process I decided that the colorful not matching style is definitely my style. 

Sorry fourcard5 the problem is either my tablet or me,I will have to go to the help thread to learn to delete these wrong @ persons. 

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

You mean Jinger right? I just googled, because I'm at work and should be working, Josh and Anna got married  Sept 26, 2008 and Mac was born Oct 6 2009 so a week after their 1st anniversary.  So yeah if she isn't with in days of giving birth on her anniversary she will be the 1st. 

Yes, sorry. All these damn J names.

And oddly enough, it appears that the Duggars and Sierra, as well as Sarah Maxwell, visited San Antonio too late for the "Christian Worldview Film Festival" which was last month: http://www.christianworldviewfilmfestival.com/

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And I have to add that it's interesting that Sierra had 5 kids all pretty close together and now her youngest is almost 18 months and still no announcement. I'm wondering if she's doing something to avoid. 

My guess is the reality that children cost lots of money. She is always trying to sell or make money.  So maybe she has realized having a zoo full of children might not be a good idea.

11 hours ago, cascarones said:

• 'The pretty one', my guess Jessa, was being cross and seemed to be having a disagreement with Jinger over their plans and when the same friend was asking Jinger how swamped they were at her church during the Lenten season there was a lot of eye rolling from 'the pretty one'.

The Lenten season? That's interesting. Do you know if that wording is from your friends or from the Duggars? Their version of Christianity doesn't usually observe Lent (that's for Catholics), though in my experience they do observe Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and of course Easter.

12 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

The Lenten season? That's interesting. Do you know if that wording is from your friends or from the Duggars? Their version of Christianity doesn't usually observe Lent (that's for Catholics), though in my experience they do observe Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and of course Easter.

That could have been why there was eye-rolling: if someone was asking Jinger about whether her church was busy with traditionally Catholic things.  

Episcopal have a busy week before Easter, too. I seem to remember Presbyterians did a lot, Maundy Thursday, etc. Not just Roman Catholic.

26 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

and of course Easter

:naughty:  Resurrection Sunday, if you please!

Yes, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, and some (perhaps most) Presbyterians also observe Lent. 

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Episcopal have a busy week before Easter, too. I seem to remember Presbyterians did a lot, Maundy Thursday, etc. Not just Roman Catholic.

Yeah, there are plenty of Protestant denominations that observe Lent, but it still is associated with Catholicism for a lot of fundies.

Weighing in on Jingers pants...yay!  My opinion is that since she moved away, and they are not dependent on Jim Boob for their house, job (Jessa, Jill) she felt comfortable "breaking" her father's rules. She is still completely modest in my opinion. Now, I would like to see her get about six inches of hair chopped off....

I can totally see Jessa being totally snarky about the pants.  

I hope this is an example for Joy...when she marries Austin (still icky), I'd they are living/working at his family's campground, she will wear pants/shorts and sensible shoes, like tennies or hiking boots.  Skirts and flipflops are not practical, and I wouldn't say skirts are modest when riding horses or canoeing. 

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's true, but Lent is much longer than just the week before.  Lent actually ends mid-way through Holy Week (and before most of the Holy Week celebrations), so Holy Week is generally treated as it's own season and not part of Lent.  

Lenten activities/the Lenten season is most commonly associated with Catholic and Orthodox communities.  Some Protestant denominations do observe Lent, but I do not believe many treat it as the same season of fasting, penance, etc. that Catholics/Orthodox do.  Catholics also often have Lenten social activities such as Stone Soup Suppers, Stations, Fish Frys, etc.  It is a very busy time for a parish, and while I've heard of Protestant churches doing extra things during Lent, I've never gotten the impression it's treated as the huge deal it is in Catholicism.  

Holy Week is generally busy for everyone, but I feel like there may have been less eye rolling if the person was asking Jinger about Holy Week/Preparing for Easter at her church instead of asking about something that it is very unlikely she observes.  

41 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Lutherans, also. Today is Maundy Thursday, tomorrow is Good Friday. My old church did (maybe still does) a Tenebrae service...

1 hour ago, Dubiousclaire said:

I hope this is an example for Joy...when she marries Austin (still icky), I'd they are living/working at his family's campground, she will wear pants/shorts and sensible shoes, like tennies or hiking boots.  Skirts and flipflops are not practical, and I wouldn't say skirts are modest when riding horses or canoeing. 

I thought that Austin's mom and sister were also skirts-only. Doesn't seem to have made a difference that they run a campground. Maybe I was wrong though.

But in any case, I have always thought that if any of the girls (at least Joy and older) were to switch to pants, it would be Joy. Not as a reflection of changing beliefs or whatever, but just because she has expressed she isn't a fan of skirts and dresses.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

That's true, but Lent is much longer than just the week before.  Lent actually ends mid-way through Holy Week (and before most of the Holy Week celebrations), so Holy Week is generally treated as it's own season and not part of Lent.  

That's news to this cradle Catholic. I learned that Lent ended at the beginning of Easter vigil, when the priest lights the first candle!

The Tridium, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter, are the three busiest days of the Catholic liturgy calendar. But Lent it is, until that vigil Mass.

2 hours ago, Dubiousclaire said:

I've always seen Joy as a skinny jeans and converse girl, I can't look at her any other way. A skirt on her just looks weird in my mind's eye. I have a 13 year and 17 year old, and Joy has the look of my kids' friends, more so than any other Duggar. I was so disappointed when I heard she was getting hitched.

So... Jumping  back a few pages... I'm a certified legal professional, but I was a SAHM for a bit  before my unfortunate and devilish divorce.  Well.  It wasn't really unfortunate.  

I was a lot busier then than I was when gainfully employed TBH.  

I just wasn't paid.  

I rather paid work. 

18 hours ago, ophelia said:

Her "wifey" shirt somewhat made me mad. But then again she has nothing else that defines her life and personality. She could have added "mother" and the picture would have been perfect.

18 hours ago, marmalade said:

The Wifey shirt was first seen on her wedding day. She probably got it as a shower gift. She also has the Blessed Mama one as well. 

My sister knows a girl whose instagram handle is "LastnameWifey." It's sad to me when women wrap up their whole identities in being a wife and/or mom. It also perpetuates the idea that marriage is some big prize and accomplishment…but ONLY for the woman.  It's hilarious that all the Duggar girls so far are worth more than their husbands. 

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My RCA (Reformed Church in America) church had a Maundy Thursday service tonight. We do advent, lent, all of that. Not just Roman Catholic at all.

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Yes, sorry. All these damn J names.

And oddly enough, it appears that the Duggars and Sierra, as well as Sarah Maxwell, visited San Antonio too late for the "Christian Worldview Film Festival" which was last month: http://www.christianworldviewfilmfestival.com/

The description for one of the movies on that website is "A woman uncovers the origins of Planned Parenthood and it's intended genocide of African-Americans".

Please excuse me while I scream.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:35 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And I have to add that it's interesting that Sierra had 5 kids all pretty close together and now her youngest is almost 18 months and still no announcement. I'm wondering if she's doing something to avoid. 

IIRC, in the past Sierra mentioned having PCOS

6 minutes ago, Bethella said:

IIRC, in the past Sierra mentioned having PCOS

PCOS is an interesting type of infertility as it can vary in how much of a problem you have conceiving. I've known a few people who have it and didn't have a lot of problems getting pregnant while others with it took a long time to get pregnant. 

4 hours ago, Darwinesque said:

I've always seen Joy as a skinny jeans and converse girl, I can't look at her any other way. A skirt on her just looks weird in my mind's eye. I have a 13 year and 17 year old, and Joy has the look of my kids' friends, more so than any other Duggar. I was so disappointed when I heard she was getting hitched.

I completely agree. Skinny jeans she with holes in the knee, a pair of converse shoes, and an oversized flannel. That's how Joy should be dressing in mind. 

Jinger would dress like an artsy hipster in my imagination. With turquoise tips in her hair, a lot of piercings in her ears, oversized Granny cardigan, skinny jeans, and plain ballet flats. 

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

PCOS is an interesting type of infertility as it can vary in how much of a problem you have conceiving. I've known a few people who have it and didn't have a lot of problems getting pregnant while others with it took a long time to get pregnant. 

I'm just pointing out that she has a known medical condition that causes fertility problems. Using Occam's Razor she's more likely to be having problems conceiving this time instead of using contraception (although stranger things have happened on FJ!)

2 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I'm just pointing out that she has a known medical condition that causes fertility problems. Using Occam's Razor she's more likely to be having problems conceiving this time instead of using contraception (although stranger things have happened on FJ!)

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. It's possible she didn't have trouble before but is finally as she ages and has 5 kids. It may mean she will have only a few more kids mostly spread out.

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Lenten activities/the Lenten season is most commonly associated with Catholic and Orthodox communities.  Some Protestant denominations do observe Lent, but I do not believe many treat it as the same season of fasting, penance, etc. that Catholics/Orthodox do.  Catholics also often have Lenten social activities such as Stone Soup Suppers, Stations, Fish Frys, etc.  It is a very busy time for a parish, and while I've heard of Protestant churches doing extra things during Lent, I've never gotten the impression it's treated as the huge deal it is in Catholicism.

I'm not an expert in comparative religion but as a Protestant married to a Catholic, I haven't noticed much more than cosmetic differences  in how Lent is treated. Both churches place Easter as the most important event of the year (because both see the Events of Easter as central to the Christianity) and both seem to regard Lent as a vital part of preparing for the events of Holy Week.

Yeah, us Anglicans don't have officially prescribed days of fasting and abstinence, nor do we do the Stations of the Cross, but that doesn't mean Lent isn't a big deal, it's just that the way that looks is different.  We are encouraged to use Lent as a time of contemplation and prayer,and some definitely practice some form of abstinence during Lent. Some of the prayer etc. is done privately, but there are some extra (sometimes rather somber because if the season) services held at the church.  As far as fish Frys and Stone Soup Suppers, I suspect that varies from parish to parish rather than being a Catholic/Protestant thing. My Anglican church has done the Stone Soup thing during Lent, my husband's Catholic church doesn't usually do any social functions during Lent. 

20 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I'm not an expert in comparative religion but as a Protestant married to a Catholic, I haven't noticed much more than cosmetic differences  in how Lent is treated. Both churches place Easter as the most important event of the year (because both see the Events of Easter as central to the Christianity) and both seem to regard Lent as a vital part of preparing for the events of Holy Week.

Yeah, us Anglicans don't have officially prescribed days of fasting and abstinence, nor do we do the Stations of the Cross, but that doesn't mean Lent isn't a big deal, it's just that the way that looks is different.  We are encouraged to use Lent as a time of contemplation and prayer,and some definitely practice some form of abstinence during Lent. Some of the prayer etc. is done privately, but there are some extra (sometimes rather somber because if the season) services held at the church.  As far as fish Frys and Stone Soup Suppers, I suspect that varies from parish to parish rather than being a Catholic/Protestant thing. My Anglican church has done the Stone Soup thing during Lent, my husband's Catholic church doesn't usually do any social functions during Lent. 

Anglicans are a lot different from other Protestants, though. There's also a big difference between how the mainline Protestant churches (Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.) observe the Christian calendar and how, say, Baptists and Evangelicals do. In my experience they celebrate Holy Week (though I never heard it called that) but don't observe Lent, and I wouldn't expect them to talk about the "Lenten season."

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

That's news to this cradle Catholic. I learned that Lent ended at the beginning of Easter vigil, when the priest lights the first candle!

I believe that in Orthodoxy at least, Lent starts on a Monday and technically ends on the evening of the Saturday of Lazarus.  Palm Sunday onward is  Holy Week and not included as part of Lent, even though the fasting rules remain the same and there are suddenly lots more church services :) 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived