IGNORED

Jinger/Jeremy: Not as Interesting as Jingerbread

choralcrusader8613

@Rachel333 Still figuring out how to quote, but yes it was my friend's phrasing. She's married to an Episcopal priest, so it's a busy time for her too and is always looking for preacher's wife friends to share the burden with!

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cascarones said:

@Rachel333 Still figuring out how to quote, but yes it was my friend's phrasing. She's married to an Episcopal priest, so it's a busy time for her too and is always looking for preacher's wife friends to share the burden with!

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense!

11 hours ago, Dubiousclaire said:

Weighing in on Jingers pants...yay!  My opinion is that since she moved away, and they are not dependent on Jim Boob for their house, job (Jessa, Jill) she felt comfortable "breaking" her father's rules. She is still completely modest in my opinion. Now, I would like to see her get about six inches of hair chopped off....

I can totally see Jessa being totally snarky about the pants.  

I hope this is an example for Joy...when she marries Austin (still icky), I'd they are living/working at his family's campground, she will wear pants/shorts and sensible shoes, like tennies or hiking boots.  Skirts and flipflops are not practical, and I wouldn't say skirts are modest when riding horses or canoeing. 

Pants! Pants! Hurray! She is wearing proper pants in every day life! I saw the picture on Tiffany's blog and got so excited. Maybe Jinger is free at last. I am so incredibly happy for her. 

Pants! Trousers! Shorts! What next? A one piece bathing suit? 

I like  seeing Jinger in pants and I'm surprised to see Sierra and Jessa in above-the-knee skirts without leggins underneath. Normally, you can only see Duggar knees when they sit down or when they are covered with leggins. hm....

I bet Jinger thought before going even shorter with skirts why not wear pants, they are wind-proof. IMO pants are more modest anyway if they are not too tight.

Looking at the picture, none of them looks fundie to me which is scary! In the beginning of 14 kids and pregnant again or 17 kids and counting, they kind of had the fundie look. Now it's gone and they are all "fashionably modest, instagrammy" fundies, which means: pretty much invisible.

14 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I like  seeing Jinger in pants and I'm surprised to see Sierra and Jessa in above-the-knee skirts without leggins underneath. Normally, you can only see Duggar knees when they sit down or when they are covered with leggins. hm....

I bet Jinger thought before going even shorter with skirts why not wear pants, they are wind-proof. IMO pants are more modest anyway if they are not too tight.

Looking at the picture, none of them looks fundie to me which is scary! In the beginning of 14 kids and pregnant again or 17 kids and counting, they kind of had the fundie look. Now it's gone and they are all "fashionably modest, instagrammy" fundies, which means: pretty much invisible.

It's absolutely the scariest part.  When they dressed in frumpers, it was easier for people who don't do their research to see outwardly that these people were off.  Now? They blend in too well, which makes them and their horrific beliefs even worse IMO.  Makes it easier to draw people into their way of thinking.

While I am happy to see Jinger in a very cute pair of jeans, until she changes her beliefs, it's simply a change in fashion choice. Alyssa Webster and Whitney Bates are as fundie as ever despite their heathen jeans-wearing ways (though for reals, I want to raid Alyssa's wardrobe -- she always looks cute af and I'm a fellow tiny girl in need of fashion inspiration).

Wow, go Jinger. Bermuda shorts, now pants. Good for her. She looks genuinely happy. 

Next hope is that her visit to the university, in those Bermuda shorts, was really to enroll her in college after all. I can hope!  

3 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Until they open their hateful mouths, then its a dead give away. 

2 hours ago, freealljs said:

Wow, go Jinger. Bermuda shorts, now pants. Good for her. She looks genuinely happy. 

Next hope is that her visit to the university, in those Bermuda shorts, was really to enroll her in college after all. I can hope!  

Not really meaning to snark at you specifically, but I've seen several people say that the only way she's going to be really free is to go to college. 1. these kids aren't going to any college anytime soon, not with the SOTDRT "education" they won't pass entrance exams. 2. Xan we stop the bull shit notion that you MUST have a college education to be successful. The U.S. is facing a MAJOR crisis in employment sectors of skilled trades, plumbesr, electricians, HVAC, welders, mechanics etc.. those dirty looked down upon jobs that "poor" people do. Many of these trades are saying by 2020 they will be in such high demand that the trained ones can be making close to 6 figures because they are in that high of demand. Any one of those Duggar men and women can get a trade job and make more than enough to support themselves, and a family, no 4 year degree and 10s of thousands of dollars in debt required.  Yes it is dirty back breaking work but we need to get away from the notion that the peole who do this are less than, because with out them we'd be living in tents and swimming in shit & piss. //hops off soap box 

Sorry, I'm very passionate about our blue collar workers, the mostly men who work in horrible heat and freezing cold who come home from work, filthy and exhausted.  Its just very sad that over the last 17 or so years we've started looking down on these people as lazy takers instead of the hard workers who make society move smoothly.  

@allthegoodnamesrgone I don't necessarily think people look down on those types of jobs or think they are all lazy and dirt poor. We've just been conditioned to believe that success equals a 4 year degree and employment as lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc. I think people mainly hear about manual labor jobs and think they aren't glamorous and the education involved isn't as intense. 

I completely understand your sentiment though, without blue collar workers, we would be in a world of hurt!

To add to this, I have noticed schools in my area are pushing technical schools. Welding, mechanics, electricians & heavy equipment operators are all being presented as worthwhile careers. A lot of kids here will never be able to afford college but they already know they can make $$$ with a tech certificate. People are discovering that the 4 year degree isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

I currently live in the poorest state and one of the poorest counties in the country. I guess we're figuring it out faster to survive. 

I don't think people understand how smart students need to be to go into the trades now. Our regional trade school is very competitive.  Students have to be ready to go into algebra, have a minimum Lexile reading level of 800, great grades, and no discipline issues. I constantly tell my students college is not the only path, especially with the cost in the USA.

I WOULD love for a Duggarling to get into a secular trade school. But I also wonder if they would be able to meet the math requirements.

I live in Canada, but my nephew, who became an electrician, makes as much as my niece, who has a university degree and needed to get a college certificate afterwards to get a job.

I saw a news story earlier that showed Jeremy's tattoo. I think it was In Touch. Does anyone know what it says?

I wonder if old JB knew about it because it seems like that would be a big red flag on Jeremy's questionnaire. He defiled his body with Satan's evil ink.

Personally I am glad to see it. I too enjoy defiling my body with ink. Hehe.

1 hour ago, PumaLover said:

I saw a news story earlier that showed Jeremy's tattoo. I think it was In Touch. Does anyone know what it says?

I wonder if old JB knew about it because it seems like that would be a big red flag on Jeremy's questionnaire. He defiled his body with Satan's evil ink.

Yep, there's a picture of it here: http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jeremy-vuolo-tattoo-130123

I didn't know that! Neat. Picture under spoiler (hope I'm doing this right):

Spoiler

jeremy-vuolo-tattoo-750-400.jpg?fit=crop

2 hours ago, Joyfully Available said:

@allthegoodnamesrgone I don't necessarily think people look down on those types of jobs or think they are all lazy and dirt poor. We've just been conditioned to believe that success equals a 4 year degree and employment as lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc. I think people mainly hear about manual labor jobs and think they aren't glamorous and the education involved isn't as intense. 

I completely understand your sentiment though, without blue collar workers, we would be in a world of hurt!

To add to this, I have noticed schools in my area are pushing technical schools. Welding, mechanics, electricians & heavy equipment operators are all being presented as worthwhile careers. A lot of kids here will never be able to afford college but they already know they can make $$$ with a tech certificate. People are discovering that the 4 year degree isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

I currently live in the poorest state and one of the poorest counties in the country. I guess we're figuring it out faster to survive. 

Thank you so much for your post.  My son spent 3 years getting his masters mechanics degree. (Deisel and auto mechanics combined). He spent the next 6 months paying off a rather small student loan.  The next 12 months he saved his money for a down payment on his first home.  This week he qualified for a home mortgage.  I'm going out house hunting with him next week and I am so excited and proud of him.   By the way....he is 23 years old!!!

People in the trades that have certifications and/or have mastered their skills  have always been able to make a good living in New York City.

The thing is that there is a lot of work and study that goes into being a skilled blue collar worker. To get an apprenticeship then to journeyman level, then master level takes drive and ambition, plus hard subject work.

Duggar level messing around is not mastery of anything.  Putting on a tool belt doesn't make you knowledgeable.   I doubt that they could get any skilled job, or into a  certificate program since they don't have a good education as a base.   

I think the hope that Jinger or any Duggar kid would go to college, just to be exposed to diverse people and ideas, not in a censored way.  I certainly wouldn't expect them to get a full degree, just maybe take a few classes. Jinger could take a photography course. 

I have one kid going to a traditional university, and one in a career tech program for automotive. He is then going to go to community college where he will get his master certifications.  

Most community colleges have degrees and certificates for trade jobs.  These are often developed in partnership with the trade unions and are part of the apprenticeship program.  For example, the electrician program at Laredo Community College (LCC) found at http://www.laredo.edu/online_catalog/electrical-technology-dftg-elpt-eltn-rbpt.htm#o4975.

I would think if Jinger wanted to take courses, her best bet would be LCC.  They will admit home school or other non GED/HS diploma holders with individual approval (I'm guessing after accessing scores on placement tests).  http://www.laredo.edu/cms/mobile_nav_lcctemplate.aspx?ID=18032&menu_id=112&ekfrm=&imagelabel=Admission.  She could practice for the placement tests and I'm guessing (work in a different CC system) that if she could score with one or two levels of college ready, they would admit her and let her take developmental coursework to get to college level. 

33 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Good for her for realizing pants aren't defrauding. What's next, a bikini?

Yes, and she will wear it to her college classes. :laughing-rolling:

15 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I think he has a cross as well. I personally think he got much more religious more recently. I know the church he preaches for had issues in the San Antonio branch when I was in high school a decade ago, there was a huge scandal to where my parents didn't want me going to any of their bible study things or hanging out with the girls involved unless it was at our house. Though to be fair to the church, the associate youth pastor involved was also a high school teacher and probably used church activities as a cover.

My 2 cents: college is over crowded and a lot of the degrees people get are pretty much useless. But not everyone is made for blue collar work. I know I'm not. I just don't have the ability to be in those jobs. I'm quite comfortable behind a desk somewhere, pushing papers. It really depends on the person. 

4 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm quite comfortable behind a desk somewhere, pushing papers. It really depends on the person. 

I'm the same way. Before I started making good money with my pet sitting business I loved working in an office. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived