IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

1 minute ago, Gillyweed said:

Weren't J&J alone the morning of their wedding to say prayers or something?

Alone with the camera crew and Jill could have been sitting elsewhere in the room unseen. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time poster, lurking creepily for a while now (a big ol' throwback thanks to razing ruth's blog who led me here during her scandal).  It just took me a while to decide to engage.

There are so many things to make me sad about this engagement (although I hope they're happy together), but in the engagement announcement video Joy said she was looking forward to getting to know Austin better during the engagement.  I'm pretty sure at least one other daughter said something along those lines during their engagement as well (blanking on who), but it's just... sick and mind-boggling.  I knew my husband damn well before I agreed to tie myself to him for life, and we both have a much easier out if we really needed it than those stupid covenant marriages.

But I guess since they only need to have that heart for the lord in common, it doesn't matter if they know each other at all.  I swear fundie marriages must be beyond dull.  I mean, you can only spend so much time having sex, right?  And the bible is only so long.

14 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Wait wait wait wait, do teenagers actually roleplay the Duggars online? Is that a thing? Do people enjoy doing that? It must be so boring! "I fill the washing machine for the 8th time today, who's watching the littles?"

Not knocking roleplay by the way, I'm heading out tomorrow for a weekend of H.P. Lovecraft-inspired horror live action roleplay. But c'mon, what's more exciting- facing eldritch horrors, or making tater tot casserole? :tw_octopus:

I haven't roleplayed in years, but I'd choose facing eldritch horrors over making tater tot casserole any day. I love me some H.P. Lovecraft stories. :my_heart:

Food for thought -- if Austin flips houses, shouldn't he already HAVE those tools that the registry has? 

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

Food for thought -- if Austin flips houses, shouldn't he already HAVE those tools that the registry has? 

He may have borrowed them from his dad, or they may be lower end versions of what he's registering for,  My husband works with tools for a living, he has several of every tool (but the most expensive), they break easily so it is nice to have spares, perhaps he wants them so Joy can join in his flipping business until she's too pregnant to do it.  I see tools as I do shoes, you can never have too many, and when I tell my husband yes I need 6 pairs of black shoes, they are all just a little different. 

17 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I can see using a wedding registry as a way to upgrade some of the things you have. For example, if your sheets/towels were of the "grabbed from the folks' linen closet as I was moving out" variety or the cheapest ones you could find at a discount store, I could see wanting to ask for decent sheets/towels (not the highest thread count, but some good enough that they'd last a number of years without pilling, or towels that cover a larger area.) I can see tools working this way also. If I were just starting out on my own and didn't have a father/grandfather who would surplus some of his tools to me, I could see getting some of what I needed from estate sales and the rest the cheapest tools that would do the job. If I wanted to make a living at it, I could see asking for some tools that were better quality on a registry. I guess I'm of the mindset, especially for those the ages of Austin and Joy, that, if people are going to get you gifts for your wedding, you might as well ask for things you want, as opposed to giving them no guidance and ending up with 4 crock pots. 

I remind myself that Austin and Joy are 22 or 23 and 19. They've never lived apart from their parents. A wedding registry would really help them set up a home. It's different for a couple who are in their late 20's/early 30's, who have lived independently or together and have started to acquire home goods that are post college/ surplussed from relatives. 

While I agree that wedding gifts aren't mandatory, I know that many still give/receive them instead of checks. It does make sense to me to at least have some suggestions.

@Mela99 Maybe he was using his dad's tools, and now that he will be a real man now (because marriage changes you and all that), he will need his own for his own household.

Their logic reminds me of a funny Jewish meme I saw one time. For those unfamiliar, a Bar (boy) or Bat (girl) Mitzvah happens usually when a Jewish kid is 13 and is supposed to be the official (traditional) entrance into adulthood in the Jewish faith. This meme had a picture of a boy on his Bar Mitzvah, and it said "Today I am a man. Monday I return to 7th grade". I still find it funny years later.

13 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Since they've replayed that wedding to death, I've watched it a few times.  There is a scene where Jill is heading to church to have morning prayers with D and then get ready.  JB specifically asks her who she is taking as a chaperone and she immediately responded Joy.  They don't show Joy during the scene so I'm assuming she was off to the side.  They showed the end of the prayers when J and D were in a big hall on two chairs and called his Mom to see if she was up to coming to the wedding.  This scene was discussed a bit because of the gross ridiculousness.  They are getting married in a couple of hours, there is a camera crew filming them, and they need a babysitter while they pray and check in with his mother who is very ill with cancer.  

All that spec for nothing if all we had to do was click on an item to find out the date was fake. :pb_lol: 

49 minutes ago, JMO said:

Since they've replayed that wedding to death, I've watched it a few times.  There is a scene where Jill is heading to church to have morning prayers with D and then get ready.  JB specifically asks her who she is taking as a chaperone and she immediately responded Joy.  They don't show Joy during the scene so I'm assuming she was off to the side.  They showed the end of the prayers when J and D were in a big hall on two chairs and called his Mom to see if she was up to coming to the wedding.  This scene was discussed a bit because of the gross ridiculousness.  They are getting married in a couple of hours, there is a camera crew filming them, and they need a babysitter while they pray and check in with his mother who is very ill with cancer.  

Because you never know, they may run to a closet somewhere and smooch and later decide that they don't want to get married; if left alone two before getting hitched. It happens. Ha

Heck, Jessa and ben were alone sans chaperone for the first time DURING their wedding for the first kiss! They couldnt even wait til the ceremony was over hehe.

As for the registry, I still think its way too small to be a Duggar registry. Also, I am surprised that a man of 23 who's parents have a camp wouldn't already own hiking shoes. And sleeping bags, etc.

5 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

Heck, Jessa and ben were alone sans chaperone for the first time DURING their wedding for the first kiss! They couldnt even wait til the ceremony was over hehe.

As for the registry, I still think its way too small to be a Duggar registry. Also, I am surprised that a man of 23 who's parents have a camp wouldn't already own hiking shoes. And sleeping bags, etc.

Just because his parents have stuff doesn't mean they don't want their own.  When I moved out out my own my parents had everything I needed, and it stayed with them, because it was THEIR stuff. J & A are presumably going to live on their own so it stands to reason they want their own stuff. 

I'm not aiming this exclusively at you because several others have mentioned it.  but why are people so stunned that two young adults starting out on their own would register for their own stuff? Why is this so mind boggling to people?  I'm sure hunting is a big thing with these two, so camping and hunting gear would be something they want. 

As for the 8 place setting, there are 2 of them that is plenty, we all know when ever they have the family over they will eat on paper plates and drink from paper cups.  What the hell should they register for stock in Waste Management and Chinette? 

11 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

Their first kiss was after the ceremony, not during it:

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/tv/jinger-duggar-vuolo-jessa-duggar-seewald-jill-duggar-dillard-talk-first-kisses-counting-on-exclusive/amp/

Its one of the few things I don't mock or make fun of them for. I wouldn't have wanted my first kiss broadcast like that either.

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

Their first kiss was after the ceremony, not during it:

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/tv/jinger-duggar-vuolo-jessa-duggar-seewald-jill-duggar-dillard-talk-first-kisses-counting-on-exclusive/amp/

Its one of the few things I don't mock or make fun of them for. I wouldn't have wanted my first kiss broadcast like that either.

My mistake! But still, no non-chaperoned moments until they are officially married. And I remember Derick and Jill making a big fuss about it on the morning of their wedding, too.  

19 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

They were at the Pool House. You betcha that Jill, D-Wreck, or Hannie was right off-camera. Similarly, no chaperones were shown when Jill and D-Wreck did their "first look."You know Joy was hovering right off-camera.

I always feel a bit guilty when people talk about only couples in their early 20s really NEEDING a wedding registry. I started dating my husband at age 19. We never lived together, but planned on getting married one day. We did get married last year when I was about to turn 27. All those years from 19-27, I worked a low-paying job and didn't worry about updating my kitchen with the best dishes or my home with the best decor because I knew we'd eventually start a home together. In the meantime, I was scraping by and saving money. We ended up getting some lovely gifts like real, pretty place settings, handmade pottery, trays, nice sheets, and all that kind of thing. I may have been in my later 20s, but my field just doesn't pay very well and decor wasn't going to be a priority for me personally until I got married, since I'd pretty much planned on marrying this guy from age 19 (after I got two degrees and he got one). 

ETA: I live in the south and people kept asking where I was registered and others also offered to throw me bridal showers without my ever referring to such a thing. It seemed understood and just simpler if I gave people a list. But maybe that's partly a southern thing, too. 

Over here almost everyone that gets married already live together and already have two of everything from when they moved in together. :)

We still use the old pots my grandmother gifted me when I went to uni. And I think about her every time I take them out. 

5 hours ago, luxfilia said:

I always feel a bit guilty when people talk about only couples in their early 20s really NEEDING a wedding registry. I started dating my husband at age 19. We never lived together, but planned on getting married one day. We did get married last year when I was about to turn 27. All those years from 19-27, I worked a low-paying job and didn't worry about updating my kitchen with the best dishes or my home with the best decor because I knew we'd eventually start a home together. In the meantime, I was scraping by and saving money. We ended up getting some lovely gifts like real, pretty place settings, handmade pottery, trays, nice sheets, and all that kind of thing. I may have been in my later 20s, but my field just doesn't pay very well and decor wasn't going to be a priority for me personally until I got married, since I'd pretty much planned on marrying this guy from age 19 (after I got two degrees and he got one). 

ETA: I live in the south and people kept asking where I was registered and others also offered to throw me bridal showers without my ever referring to such a thing. It seemed understood and just simpler if I gave people a list. But maybe that's partly a southern thing, too. 

My parents had passed and I was the only grandchild on my mom's side so I got all of mom's stuff and all of grandma's stuff.  I had lived independently for several years and my husband was divorced so he had a fully functioning home.  We announced our engagement and instantly everyone wanted to know where we were registered and what my china and flatware patterns were. 

8 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

My mistake! But still, no non-chaperoned moments until they are officially married. And I remember Derick and Jill making a big fuss about it on the morning of their wedding, too.  

I know there was a  "rumor" about Jinger catching ben and Jessa all hot and bothered after their first time alone in the church that was debunked. But I sort of believe it to be true. They were alone for the first time to kiss right after the ceremony. Seriously are we to believe they aren't going to get handsy? They have been waiting forever and are finally alone! Ben is a horny teen who has been waiting a year and you expect him and Jessa not  to finally enjoy one another? I'm sure they were all over each other.  But at some point someone in the family is freaking out and decides that enough time has passed and sends someone to get them? And who do they send? Jinger is the logical option which is consistent with the rumor. This is why I totally believe that she caught them going at it. Her face was supposedly horrified. It makes complete sense to me but I don't blame them it's just the natural outcome of not touching your girlfriend/boyfriend for a year.

8 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I know there was a  "rumor" about Jinger catching ben and Jessa all hot and bothered after their first time alone in the church that was debunked. But I sort of believe it to be true. They were alone for the first time to kiss right after the ceremony. Seriously are we to believe they aren't going to get handsy? They have been waiting forever and are finally alone! Ben is a horny teen who has been waiting a year and you expect him and Jessa not  to finally enjoy one another? I'm sure they were all over each other.  But at some point someone in the family is freaking out and decides that enough time has passed and sends someone to get them? And who do they send? Jinger is the logical option which is consistent with the rumor. This is why I totally believe that she caught them going at it. Her face was supposedly horrified. It makes complete sense to me but I don't blame them it's just the natural outcome of not touching your girlfriend/boyfriend for a year.

What are you talking about? Her face was totally horrified when? I don't recall ever seeing a scene where Jinger returns from searching for Ben and Jessa during their private kiss. This rumour was started by shitty tabloids only after they learned that the first kiss was private. There's literally not a shred of evidence that anything like it ever occurred. Tabloids are really not a reliable source to base your assumptions on, and frankly this one is just about as gross and ridiculous as the more recent tabloid story that Joy is pregnant out of wedlock.

You really think they thought they'd have enough time to 'go at it' with their 1000+ guests out there? In their full wedding regalia? Two virgins who had never even kissed? And were right in the middle of being filmed for the TV show which seems to be their livelihood? And that the Duggars suspected something so they sent one of their unmarried, sheltered, virginal daughters to see if they were 'going at it'? What??

Edit: this came out ruder than I intended,  but tabloid gossip taken as truth is a huge pet peeve of mine. It drives me nuts. My annoyance is mainly directed at the tabloids which publish this utter garbage just to get clicks.

That rumor wasn't even shitty tabloids, it was a parody blog. One post on said blog was about how she liked to wear skirts because she could just squat and pee in her yard. Come on. Use a little sense.

2 minutes ago, jerkit said:

That rumor wasn't even shitty tabloids, it was a parody blog. One post on said blog was about how she liked to wear skirts because she could just squat and pee in her yard. Come on. Use a little sense.

You're right, it did originate on a parody blog and then the tabloids picked it up. People just east this shit up. I get wanting to believe salacious things about the Duggars because it's fun or whatever, but come on, there's enough real stuff to snark on without having to make things up.

On 3/16/2017 at 5:16 PM, justmy2cents said:

Wouldn't it be embarrassing when 1000 people are invited but you don't make the cut?  I wanted to say if she doesn't get invited maybe she'll learn her lesson, but this is Jill.

I really hope they invite both Jill R. and the Maxwells.  I'd love to see a photo of Jill defrauding Steve Maxwell with her green eye-liner and contrasting buttons.  Steve would be so unimpressed by Jill's concept of modest dress and her overly-enhanced countenance.

17 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

but why are people so stunned that two young adults starting out on their own would register for their own stuff? Why is this so mind boggling to people?  

I don't think that is the issue at all. It's the fact that the registry is so downright reasonable compared to the gift grab registries both Jill and Jessa put up that surprises me.  Jill had enough towels listed on her registry to stock the average motel.  

Yes, they are setting up house-keeping from scratch and I see power tools on many registries. As far as dishes and things, some Fundie maidens actually have carefully stocked hope chests but this doesn't seem to be the case with the Duggarettes.  

I don't find the hiking boots and sleeping bags on the registry outrageous either if that is a hobby they enjoy.  I am quite surprised they haven't listed a couple of guns to "catch" deer with, but perhaps Joy's hope chest was actually a gun cabinet.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived