IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

8 minutes ago, mpheels said:

They don't have venue loyalty because they don't see physical church buildings as strictly holy/religious spaces. They see the churches as pretty spaces available for rent. They believe holiness comes from the presence of people worshiping together, and doesn't necessarily require a formal space. I know there are other advantages to hosting home churches, but I do think they honestly believe that you don't need a specific building to have a church.

This is one of the few things I agree  with these people on, I do believe as the bible says that where ever two or more gather in my name I am there, you don't need a church to have faith. But I have major issues with organized religion and the man made bastardized rantings therein that is today "church".   As the bumper sticker says I have no issues with God, it's his fan club I can't stand. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mpheels said:

They don't have venue loyalty because they don't see physical church buildings as strictly holy/religious spaces. They see the churches as pretty spaces available for rent. They believe holiness comes from the presence of people worshiping together, and doesn't necessarily require a formal space. I know there are other advantages to hosting home churches, but I do think they honestly believe that you don't need a specific building to have a church.

Interesting. That explains why certain denominations love megachurches with thousands of members. To me, that looks like a red flag for a parking lot I don't want to know about. 

As a camper, I've bought much equipment over the years, including sleeping bags, cookware, totes, Hitch Haul for carrying it all... but those are MINE and those are USED, some of them, used pretty hard. If my kids registered for new camping stuff, I'd understand completely. If they want to continue camping, they'll want their own, and something nice that hasn't been washed till it's faded. If they wanted any  of the   old stuff, I'd probably give it to them if they asked,

Another reason to buy new: Although Austin has worked at that camp for his lifetime, I'm betting he's actually slept in a bed... not a cot on a sleeping bag. He may not have camping equipment per se. I can almost guarantee that Joy doesn't. Why would she need it?

I have had several friends register for camping equipment - one couple met as camp counselors, and continued camping for most of their vacations (including their honeymoon!). Another couple were getting ready to join the Peace Corps - they weren't going to have any use for nice china or silver for several years, but did have an immediate need for camping/hiking equipment. If Joy and Austin expect to spend a lot of time camping, hiking, and hunting together, it makes perfect sense to register for things they will use.

3 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Interesting. That explains why certain denominations love megachurches with thousands of members. To me, that looks like a red flag for a parking lot I don't want to know about. 

We live down the block from a mega church. It has a huge main building, and then two still large buildings- one for Sunday school and one for the overflow of people who can't get in the main building and they watch the service on CC tv. My husband refers to it as "the compound". We don't leave the house Sunday Mornings, because the parishioners they have directing traffic are not the best. 

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Side note: You don't need college to be successful in life. My FIL has done extremely well without one due to a lot of hard work and some lucky breaks. So I hope no one takes the above the wrong way. It's just that for the jobs listed above, you do need a college education.)

We've talked about this recently in my family science class. It's true that you can get lucky without a college education, but nowadays it's very rare. Jobs that don't require at least some sort of degree have disappeared, something that has made the gap between upper and lower class even bigger, and it has also led to many middle class families being unable to support themselves. It sucks for everyone involved. 

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This is one of the few things I agree  with these people on, I do believe as the bible says that where ever two or more gather in my name I am there, you don't need a church to have faith. But I have major issues with organized religion and the man made bastardized rantings therein that is today "church".   As the bumper sticker says I have no issues with God, it's his fan club I can't stand. 

Same here - I can't fault them or anyone else for choosing to worship at home or in informal spaces. That's how Christianity started, and it's pretty clear in the Bible that the church is about the community not the building.  

I grew up in a church that started as a small meeting under a grape arbor in the 1800's. The congregation eventually built a santuary so they would have some protection from the elements, but the building was very simple and the emphasis was always on the congregation and community, not on the physical space.

I go to a mega church in SC... but they have multiple campuses so at max there's 1000 at one place. They each do their own worship and then live stream the sermon from the main campus.

makes traffic not nearly as bad. Plus many churches here have a police presence to help direct traffic.

i do live in the "holy city" though

Meanwhile back at hunting as a pass time together.  If Jinger can grab a pair of shorts, jeans must be in Joy's future.  What brand though? And what leg, boot cut?

7 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

Meanwhile back at hunting as a pass time together.  If Jinger can grab a pair of shorts, jeans must be in Joy's future.  What brand though? And what leg, boot cut?

I think Joy would wear pants all the time if she had the option - when the older girls did their trip to Branson, she talked about not liking dresses. Her sisters were quick to remind her that she can wear skirts if she isn't comfortable in a dress, but I got the impression that it isn't a skirts vs. dresses issue for her. We may never see it, but I expect she will at least wear pants when it's appropriate in terms of safety (based on pics of people wearing pants on the family camp website). I can see her using a broad set of criteria for safety-necessitated pants wearing. "Yes, I am only going to the grocery store, but I think I saw some briers in the parking lot last week..." 

16 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

Will they be mom jeans? 

I see her more as a park-ranger-in-khakis type. I can picture both Austin and Joy dressing like UPS drivers or park rangers pretty much full time. 

37 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Will they be mom jeans? 

I see her more as a park-ranger-in-khakis type. I can picture both Austin and Joy dressing like UPS drivers or park rangers pretty much full time. 

Hey!  I never thought of that!  A job for Joy as a UPS driver, real progress regular life-style.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I remember being excited when I heard this Bible verse as a kid and feeling relieved that I was off the hook from organized religion.

If they don't specifically need a church, can a Duggar have an outdoor wedding? For example, at a Christian camp? 

11 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I remember being excited when I heard this Bible verse as a kid and feeling relieved that I was off the hook from organized religion.

If they don't specifically need a church, can a Duggar have an outdoor wedding? For example, at a Christian camp? 

If that's what they want, then I'm sure they will do it. If anyone asks, they will quote the Bible.

7 hours ago, mpheels said:

I think the reason they don't go to a physical church is because that requires to be on someone else's time, not Duggar Time. This is unfamiliar territory for the Duggars as they've not marched to the beat of another's drum for a good long time. Plus, physical churches usually like [some require] members to donate time, talent and treasures. The Duggars are above that.

TL:DR- too lazy and cheap to attend and support a physical church.

Yes I agree that they would probably be boot cut. Those would look good with cowboy boots or hiking boots as she's working at the camp. Seems like they would fit in with the theme.

Maybe it's just because I'm fat but I would have a really hard time doing physical labor work and wearing a skirt. I wore my denim skirt the other day and could. Arely get in and out of my SUV without flashing everyone at the gas station.

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

*Snip Snip* TL:DR- too lazy and cheap to attend and support a physical church.

Hit the nail on the head. The Duggars don't want to support anything but themselves. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I think the reason they don't go to a physical church is because that requires to be on someone else's time, not Duggar Time. This is unfamiliar territory for the Duggars as they've not marched to the beat of another's drum for a good long time. Plus, physical churches usually like [some require] members to donate time, talent and treasures. The Duggars are above that.

TL:DR- too lazy and cheap to attend and support a physical church.

I'm not sure exactly how long it has been going on, but the Duggars have been attending Lighthouse Baptist Church (where Kendra Caldwell's father is the pastor) for some time.

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm not saying this is real or not, but y'all are SERIOUSLY underestimating the absolute bat shit crazy that lives in this world and has access to the internet.  Have you ever watched my strange obsession? People fucking cars, inflatables, the woman who eats toilet paper, or the one who drinks gasoline? These people who make the Duggar's and the Bates' look NORMAL.  Wearing a skirt to pee in the yard is damn logical by some of these people. 

I don't know what this person is but I am now fascinated by it. It's trolling/parody at a masterful level or absolute unfiltered crazy. Can we devote a separate thread to it? There really is so much to discuss.

3 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Yes I agree that they would probably be boot cut. Those would look good with cowboy boots or hiking boots as she's working at the camp. Seems like they would fit in with the theme.

Maybe it's just because I'm fat but I would have a really hard time doing physical labor work and wearing a skirt. I wore my denim skirt the other day and could. Arely get in and out of my SUV without flashing everyone at the gas station.

You need to get you some of these, they are cotton, and are thin like a slip but they are shorts and keep your thighs from starting fires and cover up everything else, so no flashing anything either.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VAYAL5O/ref=twister_B00BF21Z2O

It's surprising that Jinger got married on a college campus, because all (albeit Catholic) universities I know with churches require that at least one of the people getting married be an alumni, student, employee, etc at that school.

46 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I don't know what this person is but I am now fascinated by it. It's trolling/parody at a masterful level or absolute unfiltered crazy. Can we devote a separate thread to it? There really is so much to discuss.

I broke down and looked. Ashleigh, Troy, and their (imaginary?) offspring, Nataleigh, Kaileigh, Baileigh, Kimberleigh,  Matthew, Nathan, and Kadijah. As far as trolls go, she gets creativity points, but is kind of lazy at content creation. 

13 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

It's surprising that Jinger got married on a college campus, because all (albeit Catholic) universities I know with churches require that at least one of the people getting married be an alumni, student, employee, etc at that school.

I was also surprised that the school was available to rent to the general public. John Brown University (JBU) has an events page promoting their venue options, including the Cathedral of the Ozarks, where Jinger got married. It also seems odd that a woman not allowed to get an education would get married on a University campus. I'm glad she did though. The venue is beautiful. I wish I had an excuse to tour the campus. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived