IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

@VineHeart137--A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for the pictures! It should help the discussion. :)

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Depending on the photographer, I've sometimes ended up posed for pictures in ways I would never stand or put my arms or hands in regular life. The senior picture where the photographer had me hold my necklace with 2 fingers and my thumb and slightly twist it was particularly stupid looking.

I just pictured your avatar sitting and posing and twisting a necklace and just made myself crack up. So thanks for that!

4 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I couldn't figure out if Anna's dresses were deep purple or dark grey. Another poster called them dark grey, so I assumed she knew more than me.

I completely agree that the lilac dress at Jinger's wedding clashed. It was a clear, warm, spring color. An autumn palette is muted and warm. She had clear colors, muted colors, warm colors, cool colors. I like the idea of what she was going for, but it went off target. 

ETA: Dying and modifying dresses is a great idea. How many bridesmaid dresses must these girls have by now? Home schooling didn't hurt their social calendars. They receive plenty of invites.

i always thought Anna's bridesmaid dresses were navy-ish haha, but who knows with that fabric. also, thanks for the pictures of the J/A wedding, those throwback hairdos are priceless :D:D:D

I figured Jill's dress at Jinger's wedding was a lighter color because johannah wanted to be in pink...Jill could've been in darker/cooler violet but then Hannie would've stuck out like a sore thumb. I figured it was nice and sweet and gracious of Jinger to let her little buddy be in pink at the outdoor-autumn-themed wedding lol

1 hour ago, send*the*ferrets said:

The cops usually come out on holidays and my husband gripes about how our tax dollars shouldn't pay for the church traffic :my_rolleyes:

Yeah, it's every Sunday!  Some other times, too.  And not even a Mega Church. I mean, it's really big but not former basketball stadium or whatever they're called huge lol.

The pic of Joy and her boy-man - is he wearing a purple suit??

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I just pictured your avatar sitting and posing and twisting a necklace and just made myself crack up. So thanks for that!

Well, I couldn't find him/me in a necklace, but there's always this:

Spoiler

Mg0Kb8W.gif

8 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

Holy crap! The Dugarettes' hair in the Joshanna wedding!!! :wow:

I know :D  I just notice it now, but I think Jana used to be a blond? Or just a blond faze? :)

In the Growing Up Duggar book Jana described how she tried to highlight her hair with hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice upon the advice of one of her friends. 

Then she worked in the garden and somehow the chemicals reacted with the sun and her hair turned orange. Her parents dyed her hair to cover the damage. 

That might be why her hair looked a different colour then.

10 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

The fabric of those dresses made them look different colors depending on the angle and lighting. Looking at these pictures, I can kind of see why there's confusion as to whether they're deep purple, dark grey, or navy blue.

storymaker-josh-and-anna-wedding-picture

2ef641fedc4b6cc0f37f75b9bd6913c8.jpg

I admit to always having liked the style of the above bridesmaid's dresses. Classy-looking, & it could (theoretically) be worn again. I'd like to see them in black, too.

42 minutes ago, elvirajane said:

In the Growing Up Duggar book Jana described how she tried to highlight her hair with hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice upon the advice of one of her friends. 

Then she worked in the garden and somehow the chemicals reacted with the sun and her hair turned orange. Her parents dyed her hair to cover the damage. 

I didn't this when I was about 12/13, I got a bottle of peroxide and poured about 1/2 into a squirt bottle filled the rest of it up with water and would "spritz" my hair and go lay out, I did it over the summer because I wanted to change my shit brown hair into something more fun and my mom wouldn't let me color it. 

1 hour ago, elvirajane said:

Of course! If you apply lemon and expose to the sun depending on the area it can cause damage and a change of pigmentation. 

I think they're more purple than navy. I seem to recall the episode where they made the dresses in the trailer they were surrounded by yards and yards of purple fabric. I think the lighting changes them.

13 hours ago, send*the*ferrets said:

The cops usually come out on holidays and my husband gripes about how our tax dollars shouldn't pay for the church traffic :my_rolleyes:

If it makes your husband feel better, the church is almost certainly paying for the police to be there, and probably paying time and a half. It's pretty common practice to hire off duty police for crowd control and security. I've helped organize a few events that required police security according to local ordinance - The police department worked up an estimate for the cost of overtime wages for the number of officers needed, and then coordinated with the officers to find people who wanted to overtime. We paid the full cost of their wages, plus fees to cover the department's obligations (e.g. worker's comp insurance). I also used to live in a city that had a system to hire off duty officers for security at late-night venues. They would have a bouncer to check IDs, and also a uniformed officer to immediately respond when drinked behavior tipped into criminal behavior.

If traffic back up from church attendees was rare and unexpected, the police would respond to "keep the peace" just as they would with any other traffic tie up. If the traffic is routine and predictable, they are going to ask the church to cover the cost and use off duty officers so it doesn't impact the department's ability to fulfill their other duties.

13 minutes ago, mpheels said:

If it makes your husband feel better, the church is almost certainly paying for the police to be there, and probably paying time and a half. It's pretty common practice to hire off duty police for crowd control and security. I've helped organize a few events that required police security according to local ordinance - The police department worked up an estimate for the cost of overtime wages for the number of officers needed, and then coordinated with the officers to find people who wanted to overtime. We paid the full cost of their wages, plus fees to cover the department's obligations (e.g. worker's comp insurance). I also used to live in a city that had a system to hire off duty officers for security at late-night venues. They would have a bouncer to check IDs, and also a uniformed officer to immediately respond when drinked behavior tipped into criminal behavior.

If traffic back up from church attendees was rare and unexpected, the police would respond to "keep the peace" just as they would with any other traffic tie up. If the traffic is routine and predictable, they are going to ask the church to cover the cost and use off duty officers so it doesn't impact the department's ability to fulfill their other duties.

That actually will make him feel better! When we bought our house we backed up to a large field, and the city sold half the land to the mega church and half the land to a new shopping center development- they had to rezone it and everything. My husband was not pleased! Our traffic has gone through the roof. He is pretty much the grumpy old man yelling at cars going by ;)

I think photographs will show that most of the girls have had highlights, at least. 

I'd forgotten that Michelle was pregnant at Josh's wedding.

I liked Anna's bridesmaid dresses, and I always thought they were navy.

1 hour ago, send*the*ferrets said:

That actually will make him feel better! When we bought our house we backed up to a large field, and the city sold half the land to the mega church and half the land to a new shopping center development- they had to rezone it and everything. My husband was not pleased! Our traffic has gone through the roof. He is pretty much the grumpy old man yelling at cars going by ;)

Also, in my city a lot of times the police officers we see directing traffic for the churches attend that church and are doing it voluntarily without pay.  My best friend's husband is one of 6 officers that attend their church and they have a schedule so the officer's know which week is theirs to wear their uniform and direct traffic after the services.

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I didn't this when I was about 12/13, I got a bottle of peroxide and poured about 1/2 into a squirt bottle filled the rest of it up with water and would "spritz" my hair and go lay out, I did it over the summer because I wanted to change my shit brown hair into something more fun and my mom wouldn't let me color it. 

Many moons ago (aka, high school), I applied straight peroxide on the right side of my head for a while (but in a streak). For some odd reason, I thought it looked good. :: shrugs ::

I have a hairdresser friend that makes a concoction color for me, & it's now a reddish/auburnish color. Which reminds me: I need to call her ASAP; my hair is currently suffering through looks-like-shit-itis. :P 

I never occurred to me to put peroxide in your hair. I knew a few kids in my high school who used some type of koolaid mixture to put blue/green/etc streaks in their hair. 

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I never occurred to me to put peroxide in your hair. I knew a few kids in my high school who used some type of koolaid mixture to put blue/green/etc streaks in their hair. 

I used to dye my hair blue with crepe paper. It lasted two showers.

I had a bad dye job once in college that fried my hair. As soon as I could, I dyed over it, and then cut my hair really short to get the frizz out - I'm lucky and have hair that grows pretty quickly. How would fundies handle that? Would that be a case where it's ok to hack off a few inches, or would you have to just wait it out and suffer? I guess that's assuming your dad allowed you to dye it in the first place.

On the subject of bad dye jobs, let me share; 

When I was sixteen, a sophmore, I finally got tired of my mother not allowed me to cut or color my hair. 

Naturally, I allowed a girl I hardly knew to chop ten inches off and dye half of my hair blonde and the bottom half black.

Of course, with my luck, I ended up with bright yellow/white hair and leopard spots underneath! 

I got called highlighter for a year afterward, and my hair took forever to grow back!

7 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I admit to always having liked the style of the above bridesmaid's dresses. Classy-looking, & it could (theoretically) be worn again. I'd like to see them in black, too.

As a matter of fact, they DID wear them again, at their parents' vow renewal. (Michelle and Anna basically switched outfits).

storymaker-duggar-vow-renewal-pictures2-

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived