IGNORED

Peter Bradrick files for Divorce

Marian the Librarian

1 hour ago, refugee said:

Regarding Tim Bayly: He didn't say a word about homeschooling when he visited our heavily homeschooling (and a number of people being "homeschool-only" and "let's abolish those useless, ungodly public schools") church. What sort of schooling does he espouse?

Tim does not feel that people with penises should be under the authority of women-- no matter how young they are. 

“Mary Lee and I put several of our children in public schools at various times, and we also homeschooled one son for three years. Most of our children's schooling, though, was done in Christian schools and this is the educational method we believe best for most parents and children—particularly boys who are becoming men. After years of watching homeschoolers in our churches and the broader Christian (and alternative) world, starting no later than Junior High School we think most boys do much better being taught by men than women. Especially their mothers.” 

http://baylyblog.com/blog/2013/06/homeschooling-church-discipline-and-education-our-children

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Wow, this article comes up with every excuse in the book to try to avoid admitting that the obvious issue here is boys and young men not being taught to respect their mothers (and women in general.)

Women teach at Christian and Public schools (and are even gasp Principals).  Silly Timmy.

Okay, I’ve never seen this before, but some guy named Hal live-blogged Peter and Kelly’s wedding! According to this blogger, in Scott’s lecture, which was part of the ceremony (ugh), Scott referred to P + K’s engagement as a “strategic engagement” rather than a “random engagement” and their marriage as an “arranged marriage but not a forced marriage.”

http://inundatedcalvinist.blogspot.com/2006/10/scott-brown-biblical-thinking-for.html

The always-insane Vaughn Ohlman comments that forced marriage has been given a bum rap.

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Okay, I’ve never seen this before, but some guy named Hal live-blogged Peter and Kelly’s wedding! According to this blogger, in Scott’s lecture, which was part of the ceremony (ugh), Scott referred to P + K’s engagement as a “strategic engagement” rather than a “random engagement” and their marriage as an “arranged marriage but not a forced marriage.”

http://inundatedcalvinist.blogspot.com/2006/10/scott-brown-biblical-thinking-for.html

So that was note ms on the sermon at the wedding of P&K? Where was the Christ? These people are Christians, aren't they? Where was the blessing and advice for a happy life?

Answer: Nowhere! This sermon was a total paean to SCOTT BROWN! Visionary! Man O' Gawd so perfect that Gawd must hide His countenance in embarrassment!

i just hope the wedding party were allowed to be seated during this self-serving blast of braggadocio. It must've lasted at least 40 minutes!

24 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

So that was note ms on the sermon at the wedding of P&K? Where was the Christ? These people are Christians, aren't they? Where was the blessing and advice for a happy life?

Answer: Nowhere! This sermon was a total paean to SCOTT BROWN! Visionary! Man O' Gawd so perfect that Gawd must hide His countenance in embarrassment!

i just hope the wedding party were allowed to be seated during this self-serving blast of braggadocio. It must've lasted at least 40 minutes!

Remember the David Botkin/Nadia Noor nuptials? The entire Botkin clan sat above the masses in overstuffed and shawl-wrapped comfy, using the wedding as an opportunity to "teach, encourage and exhort the attendees," while their worshipful guests sat on folding chairs in an open-air riding ring, enduring freezing temps courtesy of a May cold snap. Papa Geoff's topic? Why, "the importance of marriage in an anti-marriage culture," of course! (Pay no attention to those perennially-single daughters up on that dais...)

http://botkinsisters.com/2011/05/david-and-nadias-wedding

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.35.13 PM.png

Good grief, and I thought typical weddings were boring. I can't imagine sitting through all these ass-achingly dull speeches in my dress clothes, then fart around listening to each and every one of their bazillion family members give them a personal shout-out before the wine is served. No thanks, I'll just send a Fry Daddy and my kindest regards in the mail. 

26 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Remember the David Botkin/Nadia Noor nuptials? 

The blog post from a guest that I used when I reported on it on Datalounge is now gone, but snippets of it remain in my posts: "We arrived at the wedding around 9:30 am. Teaching began around 10 am and lasted until noon." 

40486268.jpg

13 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Good grief, and I thought typical weddings were boring. I can't imagine sitting through all these ass-achingly dull speeches in my dress clothes, then fart around listening to each and every one of their bazillion family members give them a personal shout-out before the wine is served. No thanks, I'll just send a Fry Daddy and my kindest regards in the mail. 

Oh, I came so close just now to spitting seltzer water all over my laptop...:pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol:

48 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

The blog post from a guest that I used when I reported on it on Datalounge is now gone, but snippets of it remain in my posts: "We arrived at the wedding around 9:30 am. Teaching began around 10 am and lasted until noon." 

40486268.jpg

Two hours of teaching in the cold. I wanted to hurl at the memory of hearing about it!! 

Sorry to hear your Datalounge stuff isn't here any more? I loved those. 

11 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Sorry to hear your Datalounge stuff isn't here any more? I loved those. 

You can pull some of them up by googling, but a lot of the VF-related stuff I linked to is gone now, so... 

On 2017-01-26 at 1:30 PM, Clementine said:

I was looking at a site that sells vintage style makeup today and apparently Jennie Chancey likes their cake mascara that sells for $25.

It was really strange to see a name that was familiar on that site. Is the 40's style the new thing for the fundie women? I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Phillip's daughters buy their makeup from Besame.

https://besamecosmetics.com/blogs/blog/top-10-reasons-to-use-cake-mascara

I love Besame - the lipsticks and powders are awesome and the makeup brushes are beautiful. They don't do 40's makeup exclusively - they have products that honour styles from many eras - including the "woman's liberation" days  - in fact my favourite lipstick is Chocolate Kiss which is based in 70's makeup. Besame advertises itself as classic cosmetics for the modern woman and was founded by a woman so if fundies are looking to this brand as a throw back to the "good old days" they really should look elsewhere. 

(ps can you tell I really like this brand and take any fundie encroachment personally? :my_shy:)

That sounds like the most shit wedding ever. Knowing myself and my friends, we'd all have flasks and play drinking games in the back.

On 1/27/2017 at 3:36 PM, DomWackTroll said:

Tim does not feel that people with penises should be under the authority of women-- no matter how young they are. 

“Mary Lee and I put several of our children in public schools at various times, and we also homeschooled one son for three years. Most of our children's schooling, though, was done in Christian schools and this is the educational method we believe best for most parents and children—particularly boys who are becoming men. After years of watching homeschoolers in our churches and the broader Christian (and alternative) world, starting no later than Junior High School we think most boys do much better being taught by men than women. Especially their mothers.” 

http://baylyblog.com/blog/2013/06/homeschooling-church-discipline-and-education-our-children

Does this mean there are single sex conservative Protestant schools out there? I've never heard of such a concept, since Protestants in general were opposed to private schools until the 1950s. Even today, all of the Christian schools that are associated with BJU, HA, et al are co-ed as far as I know. 

I'm surprised that Jordan Niednagel hasn't made any thinly-veiled remarks about the Bradrick divorce on social media yet. He's another one who loves to gossip, and he openly pines for the "good ol' days" of VF

With Peter and Kelly divorcing and the absolute cluster that is the Alan and Katie Smith situation, I wonder if fundies are missing the irony gene or are somehow genetically or intellectually incapable of seeing the irony of their insistence that the courtship process headed by/ under the authority of the family patriarch Does. Not. Work.

ROTD told us that Scottie had Peter write position papers on every nuance of their wacky doctrine for months and months. Scottie vetted Peter within an inch of his life to ascertain he was the perfect godly partarchal man to be Kelly's headship/ husband.  Peter told us in the film he and Kelly spent the 5 months of their courtship discussing every nuance of their wacky doctrine.

So this should have been the perfect marriage to last forever.  And 10 years later they are divorcing.

Katie Morton allowed her father to decide she should marry Alan Smith as she had never made a decision in her life and was thus incapable of doing so. So Patriarch Daddy decided Alan was a wonderful godly man and they should get married.

They followed Captn Bret Smith insane Biblical courtship model.  So what should have been another perfect forever marriage has Alan Smith in jail awaiting arraignment for child molestation and Katie and her 8 children back home with Patriarch Daddy Morton.

Do none of these people see that this process doesn't work?  Don't they care?  Don't they care about the damage they've done to their daughters' lives?  Or are they so fixated on their nutty beliefs that they forge ahead with them whether or not they work, conveniently ignoring the damaged lives of wives and children and unhappy marriages?

4 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Do none of these people sees that this process doesn't work?  Don't they care?

A question for the ages.....

30 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

With Peter and Kelly divorcing and the absolute cluster that is the Alan and Katie Smith situation, I wonder if fundies are missing the irony gene or are somehow genetically or intellectually incapable of seeing the irony of their insistence that the courtship process headed by/ under the authority of the family patriarch Does. Not. Work.

ROTD told us that Scottie had Peter write position papers on every nuance of their wacky doctrine for months and months. Scottie vetted Peter within an inch of his life to ascertain he was the perfect godly partarchal man to be Kelly's headship/ husband.  Peter told us in the film he and Kelly spent the 5 months of their courtship discussing every nuance of their wacky doctrine.

So this should have been the perfect marriage to last forever.  And 10 years later they are divorcing.

Katie Morton allowed her father to decide she should marry Alan Smith as she had never made a decision in her life and was thus incapable of doing so. So Patriarch Daddy decided Alan was a wonderful godly man and they should get married.

They followed Captn Bret Smith insane Biblical courtship model.  So what should have been another perfect forever marriage has Alan Smith in jail awaiting arraignment for child molestation and Katie and her 8 children back home with Patriarch Daddy Morton.

Do none of these people see that this process doesn't work?  Don't they care?  Don't they care about the damage they've done to their daughters' lives?  Or are they so fixated on their nutty beliefs that they forge ahead with them whether or not they work, conveniently ignoring the damaged lives of wives and children and unhappy marriages?

They probably tell themselves that heathen marriages are much worse. 

26 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Yep. Surely they will point to all their successes [sic] and since the baby boomers of this movement were actually educated in schools, will do the maths to show that their children's success/divorce ratio is way better than the 50/50 of worldly and merely Christian (not patriarchal) marriages. 

"Typical heathens, to judge our gawdly movement by a few high-profile divorces. The vast majority of our GenX - GenY - Millennial marriages are doing WONDERFULLY! IT IS PREDESTINED SO TO BE!!!"

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Yup, nothing like "fasting of hands" with colored ribbons and jumping over a broom.   And fundies would have the biggest beef with a handfasting  being performed in the spirit of lasting for a year, with both parties going their separate ways should they so desire.

To be honest, I don't know of anyone whose handfasting I've been to has actually broke it off after a year.  They've all stayed married.

57 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

Katie Morton Smith has a GoFundMe page:

https://www.gofundme.com/2h46m793

Maybe one will be set up for Kelly, too.

Good grief.  That's quite the heart-rending photo on the gofundme.  One clueless donor said: "Praying for Alan and Katie and family."  Sigh.  At least the description is up front: 

My sister katie smith's husband  was arrested recently. Alan Smith's arrest leaves his wife and 8 children without income and reliant on her family and friends for housing and financial support for the forseeable future . Any funds raised will be given over to katie smith to use wherever she needs.

It's not about happiness to these people. It's about breeding soldiers for God's army and out breeding us heathens. Love and happiness are not required.

3 hours ago, Granwych said:

To be honest, I don't know of anyone whose handfasting I've been to has actually broke it off after a year.  They've all stayed married.

I do. My former husband did a handfasting with a girlfriend a few down the line after me. They lasted maybe another 6 months after that. It made me sad partly for them, though the whole wide world could have predicted they were not destined to go the distance, but more for me. My kids were skeeved by the whole scenario, including the ceremony, so when I found the right guy myself some years later, handfasting was off the table. I think it's a very sensible idea, and romantic too.

My husband and I had a handfasting during our wedding ceremony. It was romantic and sweet.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived