IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen: Part 24- Duggars, Duvets and stuff

samurai_sarah

My FIL told me my morning sickness was in my head. Other than that, he was a great guy.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My FIL told me my morning sickness was in my head. Other than that, he was a great guy.

IIRC men didn't have ovaries or other girly" parts.  They do have 2 heads, both of which they misuse all the time.

23 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Gonna make the "and I delivered EVERY ONE OF THEM" part hard!

Yup. Though I think they could keep the 19 number/brand and save the graphic artists some time by disowning Josh. It's kind of like how if Puerto Rico gained statehood, we could just merge the Dakotas so that 50 Nifty United States could still be a song.

2 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

It looks like the Duggar girls redecorated their bedroom again since the last time

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.25.46 AM.png

Ok, the thread title made me notice it I suppose.. but, no topsheet and no duvet-cover on that bed there :pb_lol:

43 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Ok, the thread title made me notice it I suppose.. but, no topsheet and no duvet-cover on that bed there :pb_lol:

Wait what is a top sheet? Their bed looks exactly like mine and most people's in my dorm room-- with a comforter (granted ours has sheets under the comforter, but you can't tell if they do in that picture)

10 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Wait what is a top sheet? Their bed looks exactly like mine and most people's in my dorm room-- with a comforter (granted ours has sheets under the comforter, but you can't tell if they do in that picture)

I'm not too sure what the difference is between a duvet and a comforter, all I know is that in my country that thing on the bed in the photo is a duvet (albeit a summer version, we have thicker ones for the colder months) and we put covers over them. We don't use topsheets with them, for what would be the point? 
To answer your other question, a topsheet is just a sheet, only used on top of you... at least I think that's how it got its name. :pb_wink:

4 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

I read once that your feelings towards pregnancy can affect morning sickness.  It stated (IIRC) that women who  embrace their pregnancy with love are less likly to have it than women who are not thrilled "over the moon with it".  I thought , and still do , that this was BS.  Daughter embraced both pregnancies  like a giddy kid as did her husband.  She had morning sickness for 80 weeks. (Two babies in ten months)  What can I say- They were living in a FEMA trailer with lots of time for "Sweet Fellowship"?

That is ridiculous and I can't believe people would even think that. I was super excited to be pregnant and had nausea for 6 or 7 months.

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

Yeah, you can't really tell in the photo is there is a top sheet under the comforter. I have never had a proper duvet or duvet cover. I don't really think that's a "thing" where I come from. The bed looks normal to me in the photo.

AFAIK, a duvet is meant to be inside a duvet cover, much like a pillow is meant to be inside a pillowcase.  You can use the duvet without a cover, but  they are usually difficult/impossible/costly to wash, depending on what they are filled with.  That's why you use a cover on them.  Personally, I hate putting on and taking off the duvet cover so I do use a top sheet as well, which means I don't have to wash the duvet cover quite as much, but lots of people skip the top sheet and just wash the cover more often. 

A comforter has a non removable cover (which often has an attractive pattern on it) Many comforters are washable, but I would still use a top sheet with one because the filling makes them take a while to dry,so I wouldn't want to be washing a comforter very often. 

To confuse matters further, there is also the coverlet.  Those are much thinner.  They are basically sort of a quilted blanket, often made of cotton.  Mostly they just look good on top of the bed (like a thicker type of bedspread) but they also work quite well for when you need a little warmth, but not too much.

The thing on the Duggars need looks like either a duvet without a cover or a very ugly plain beige comforter. Either way, it should have  a top sheet.  I can't tell if there is one or not, however I think it's not exactly a heinous crime if they don't. 

Right now I have an alpaca wool duvet in a duvet cover and it is the best thing ever.  We bought it from this NZ guy who is sort of the mad scientist of beds and bedding. He runs his shop out of a warehouse full of wool pillows and latex matresses (also the bomb) and is clearly obsessed with all things related to bedding. He was all enthusiastic about NOT using a duvet cover because he felt it would interfere with the magical breathing properties of the wool in the duvet.  Acording to him, even Pjs would be unnecessary.  He also said that the duvet should never be washed, since that would clump up the wool and remove its natural oils or something.  It's a wonder we bought the duvet at all, because I was having a hard time trying not to picture the poor man snoozing naked under his increasingly dingy duvet. Ew. 

I always thought that a top sheet was to keep body oils and such from getting the blankets dirty so you don't have to wash them so often? 

I have a down comforter that is made of a sheetlike material with down feathers in it.   I bought a duvet (comforter cover) to keep it from getting grubby.  It's easier to take that off and wash than it is to wash a comforter - especially down.   

I also use pillow covers over my pillows but under my pillow cases - to help keep the pillows clean .

On 1/6/2017 at 11:38 AM, momofsquid said:

They're integrating Tyler into the media circus confident that he will be acknowledged as Duggar#20. They believe everyone will forget that J'Chelle didn't produce him, and they're probably correct in the case of the humpers who will fondly recall the episode when Jyler was born. They really should do something about that pesky letter "T" before it makes someone pause and scratch their head...

Won't surprise me if he decides to go by a nickname that just happens to begin with "J".

25 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Won't surprise me if he decides to go by a nickname that just happens to begin with "J".

Jurisdiction? 

Oh no, let's not start the duvet/doona conversation again. We did that last thread!

And yes, I know thread drift is a thing, but just not yet please!

I had 4 pregnancies each with differing morning sickness. Kid 1, just enough to mark the occasion. Kid 2, hyperemesis. I barfed all day, every day, til the day she was born.. Kid 3 just the first 6 weeks or so. Kid 4 not once.  But kid 3 made up for it with ruptured uterine ligaments.... Good times, good times

i had morning sickness exactly one day with each pregnancy.  I did develop dislikes for certain foods when pregnant.  And I was really turned off of meat.  It felt like it was getting bigger in my mouth when I chewed it and I often would feel queasy if I tried to swallow it.  But that was it.  

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My husband told me the same thing until I threw up on his shoes...

When will another of the boys "court"? I wonder if there are a lot of girls throwing themselves at the boys for a come-up. 

I have to wonder if Josh has ruined things for all the other boys? Maybe fundie parents are reluctant to 'give away' their daughter to this family now?

Lots of leg humpers would love to marry a girl to a duggar despite Josh.  Jill for example would think she won the world if Nurie got a Duggar.

Just like Jana has said she's waiting for Mr Right, I expect the boys are also being picky.  Plus everyone knows Josh was married off so his urges could be filled in marriage and to try and stop a repeat of his prev sins.  Being older than Josh (John & Joe), shows they're well behaved and trust worthy and have self control.  Plus marrying and supporting a family and possibly having a clinger (like they see Jill being with Derrick), means they lose a lot of freedom and independence.

Also money is getting tight - JB has lost show revenue and is supporting 3 married couples and kids (Josh, Jessa & possibly Jill).  John is one of the few kids bringing in a profit.  John can work, support himself, save for the future and still give to parents (in a weird form of rent/being helpful).  John marries - on one hand JB won't have to support him and those grands, but JB loses that money.

Joe we don't know about, but he too may be working and contributing (after John he seemed to have the best work ethic).

I think that the big boys are picky and don't want to marry yet, but I don't think JB is desperate to move them on either.

He also knows that the girls are more charismatic for the show.  I quite like JD and Joe, but the idea of them carrying a courting season - neither are comfortable enough on camera for that.   Josiah is courting age and the boy twins are nearly there, all 3 of whom better on camera if JB needs to marry off a boy for the show after Joy marries (if Jana refuses/he & M decide that Hannie isn't well trained enough to be head girl).

This may not be allowed and yes it is something entirely different. Believe me, I am not a fan of the humongous families and some of the dynamics it creates but I saw this article and could not forget how much the Duggars have failed their children. They could not do many of the things this family did but most of it yes, they could have done. http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9zM5hQ/:1_O9l8V$L:l7lLkfHT/qz.com/165716/how-i-made-sure-all-12-of-my-kids-could-pay-for-college-themselves

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I thought this was appropriate. 

Screenshot_2017-01-08-10-51-49.png

This is basically my MO when it comes to trying to change the bed, yeah...

6 hours ago, imokit said:

Lots of leg humpers would love to marry a girl to a duggar despite Josh.  Jill for example would think she won the world if Nurie got a Duggar.

Just like Jana has said she's waiting for Mr Right, I expect the boys are also being picky.  Plus everyone knows Josh was married off so his urges could be filled in marriage and to try and stop a repeat of his prev sins.  Being older than Josh (John & Joe), shows they're well behaved and trust worthy and have self control.  Plus marrying and supporting a family and possibly having a clinger (like they see Jill being with Derrick), means they lose a lot of freedom and independence.

Also money is getting tight - JB has lost show revenue and is supporting 3 married couples and kids (Josh, Jessa & possibly Jill).  John is one of the few kids bringing in a profit.  John can work, support himself, save for the future and still give to parents (in a weird form of rent/being helpful).  John marries - on one hand JB won't have to support him and those grands, but JB loses that money.

Joe we don't know about, but he too may be working and contributing (after John he seemed to have the best work ethic).

I think that the big boys are picky and don't want to marry yet, but I don't think JB is desperate to move them on either.

He also knows that the girls are more charismatic for the show.  I quite like JD and Joe, but the idea of them carrying a courting season - neither are comfortable enough on camera for that.   Josiah is courting age and the boy twins are nearly there, all 3 of whom better on camera if JB needs to marry off a boy for the show after Joy marries (if Jana refuses/he & M decide that Hannie isn't well trained enough to be head girl).

I am confused by your statement re: JD and paying rent.  Do we have any evidence that JD is paying rent to Jimbob?  And do we have any evidence to support that JD is still living in the TTH,  in the Boy's dorm?  And I guess I just would find it odd that JD pays rent, while Ben and Jessa don't and Jill and Derick don't. 

I agree that JD and Joe, seem to have a decent work ethic, but,  I believe they are hindered yet again by their parents by not being allowed to actually work.  Yes,  JD has been constable, which is just very part time, and I believe was not a paid position.  He knows how to operate big equipment and he can fly.  Yes,  he could work full time at some of those things, but it seems as if, in true Jim Bob Duggar fashion,  they do a little bit of this here, a little bit of that there, and then call it work. 

Are any of these kids truly skilled enough to work an actual job?  Other than JD's pilot License,  are any of them certified, or apprenticed officially in any of those skills or trades?

In an episode last fall JD talked about still living at home.  It fits with Jim Bob's philosophy. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived