IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen: Part 24- Duggars, Duvets and stuff

samurai_sarah

42 minutes ago, Karma said:

Happy 18th Jed and Jer. You helped with concreting and got icecream.  Phew, another heartfelt birthday post done,

No kidding,  that was a sad greeting, but still, better than the video of poor Jordan looking like she had been kidnapped by strangers. 

Maybe JB and M read the many comments about that clip, some even on their DFO facebook page, and decided to avoid videos for the lesser known children as they seem to backfire. 

And, I love how that messy icecream thing is the official Duggar Birthday treat.  Typical,  No work for Michelle or JB in fixing a cake, making cupcakes or a special meal.  Just go to a restaurant that gives away a free dessert on your birthday and call it done.  Yet  preach to the world how you can never have too many kids and that it is possible to know them all and treat them all well. 

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/12/2016 at 3:06 AM, Pasta said:

Five bucks says Bobchelle is fixing up that house to keep Joy close to home and not letting her move to the camp. 

Actually, I wonder if he's fixing it up to improve one of the boys' prospects for courting?  JD's a good catch, with his own home, marketable skills etc, but all the rest of those manboys aren't exactly what anyone other than a leghumper would want for their daughter.  Moving into the girls' room, or if they're lucky, the grandmother's old room off the laundry room, is hardly an inviting prospect.

Just checked out the Mannequin Challenge video. Why does Jennifer have bare feet? It's December, does it not get cold in NW Arkansas?

What you're not considering is that the Duggar family is a Godly family. Watched over by God. Blessed at least 20 times (21 if we trot out J'Caleb for whatever purpose) - who cares if winter comes to NW Arkansas? Jenny will be protected, crappy, secondhand shoes or not. And if we want to send boxes of shoes and socks for all the lost girls and howlers then that's just Satan's interpretation of the situation, see?

Poor Jenny.

On 12/30/2016 at 0:55 AM, nst said:

TLC posted a new commercial with new images of everyone - with signs on Jessa and Jilll reading Expecting and both courting the twins idea 

link? I just spent an embarrassing amount of time on the TLC website and facebook looking, and I dont want to give them any additional clicks.

15 hours ago, Karma said:

Happy 18th Jed and Jer. You helped with concreting and got icecream.  Phew, another heartfelt birthday post done,

Aw but it's the end of the year! So now they have to start all over again. :dislike:

It seems like we haven't seen the Bates hanging with the Dugs as much.  I know that some were at the wedding, but I don't recall seeing Kelly and Gil.  I wonder if they are not as close, or if they are mandated to stay off each other's social media due to different shows on different networks. 

It seems in years past we have seen several Bates kids at the Christmas and New Years gatherings.  If Dr Paine was there, then were Erin and Chad there? 

On 12/30/2016 at 6:36 PM, Suz8710 said:

And somehow they still get gigs...

(JB & M speaking at marriage retreat in Branson at end of Jan)

http://www.gfellowship.com/marriage-retreat.html

I was able to get the program for the retreat. Some of the talks look great:

"A prayerful guide to hiding your teenage son's molestation addiction...And still landing a TV show!"

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff: Sex Offenders are Godly, as Long as They're Straight"

"Nailing the Cheerleader: How to parlay your fleeting high school insecurities into a lifetime of indirectly talking about your ability to ejaculate into a popular girl to a national audience"

"Submitting Joyfully, aka His Ego, His Choices: Learning You Don't Matter as a Woman or Human"

"Reproductive Choice: An Oxymoron" 

21 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Just checked out the Mannequin Challenge video. Why does Jennifer have bare feet? It's December, does it not get cold in NW Arkansas?

I think their weather is similar to ours in middle TN, and it was over 70 degrees f on Christmas Day.  It had been icy and around 30 just the week before, but it never fails that Christmas week it warms right up and we get nothing resembling a white Christmas. I wore flip-flops to a yoga class and still got hot on the way there. Just saying it's possible. 

41 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

I think their weather is similar to ours in middle TN, and it was over 70 degrees f on Christmas Day.  It had been icy and around 30 just the week before, but it never fails that Christmas week it warms right up and we get nothing resembling a white Christmas. I wore flip-flops to a yoga class and still got hot on the way there. Just saying it's possible. 

Cold isn't the only reason for footwear, though. In the past six or seven years, I'm aware of two kids, unrelated and in areas ten to fifteen miles apart, picking up hookworm . No way to verify it was because of going barefoot, but in both cases, it was thought to be plausible because both kids went barefoot much or most of their time outdoors.

While hookworm isn't life threatening, it's not something you'd hope for, either.

Plus, it's icky.

2 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

Cold isn't the only reason for footwear, though. In the past six or seven years, I'm aware of two kids, unrelated and in areas ten to fifteen miles apart, picking up hookworm . No way to verify it was because of going barefoot, but in both cases, it was thought to be plausible because both kids went barefoot much or most of their time outdoors.

While hookworm isn't life threatening, it's not something you'd hope for, either.

Plus, it's icky.

Yes, hookworm and all parasites are a phobia of mine and sound very icky! I grew up in the country never wearing shoes outside, as pretty much all kids around me did (I'm in my 20s now, so this wasn't so very long ago). I never heard of anyone picking it up, but then we DID wear shoes in the woods, pasture, barn, etc. But if we were just playing in the yard, NO WAY! Not saying you have no argument there, but that's just how it is in the country and certainly not specific to the Duggars. (Our dogs, etc., never used the yard for a bathroom, either, since we had so much space.) I felt like a "tough" kid because I could walk on gravel, etc., and never be bothered. I get  your point, but personally I can't harp on the Duggars for that one.

ETA: I always thought it more likely that kids picked up parasites from actually putting their hands in their mouths (after playing in dirt, for example), which can happen with or without shoes.

1 hour ago, luxfilia said:

Yes, hookworm and all parasites are a phobia of mine and sound very icky! I grew up in the country never wearing shoes outside, as pretty much all kids around me did (I'm in my 20s now, so this wasn't so very long ago). I never heard of anyone picking it up, but then we DID wear shoes in the woods, pasture, barn, etc. But if we were just playing in the yard, NO WAY! Not saying you have no argument there, but that's just how it is in the country and certainly not specific to the Duggars. (Our dogs, etc., never used the yard for a bathroom, either, since we had so much space.) I felt like a "tough" kid because I could walk on gravel, etc., and never be bothered. I get  your point, but personally I can't harp on the Duggars for that one.

ETA: I always thought it more likely that kids picked up parasites from actually putting their hands in their mouths (after playing in dirt, for example), which can happen with or without shoes.

Yuck, yes, poor hygiene, and really, how many little kids are good about hand washing, and when they do, how effectively do they do it?

Usually they pass something like the common cold, but sometimes, not.

Running around barefoot doesn't bother me. I don't know the temperature where they live... It would bother me if she went shoe less in frigid temperatures and it DOES bother me that they wear inappropriate footwear in places where that's really a bad idea.

Remember the episode early on where they all went to a construction site? Flip flops. Didn't Jessa once say that the Duggar girls can do anything in skirts and flip flops?

I can't recall any other instances, but if I were in charge of the construction site, I'd have prohibited entry to anyone not wearing close toed and close healed shoes. Ridiculous.

On 31.12.2016 at 10:16 PM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Here in Viking land it's very uncommon with shoes indoors, no matter what time of the year (and degrees below 0 Celsius). Socks is common though, except for kids who hate them (and adults that take them off the moment they step through the door :p) 

I have to add that when I watched the Duggars' mannequin challenge, I turned on "Black Beatle" on Spotify and imagined they were normal kids. hahah

The 3 youngest girls were all shoeless for the challenge.  I'm not surprised, easier to play in than flip flops.  And for the record, if they've done a mannequin challenge it is officially DONE.  

I saw the twins birthday post too.  I don't know whether to be happy for them that they didn't have to sit for lunch with their parents or sad that they only got to pick up their special treat on the way to do more work.  They were smiling so they seem to have liked how it worked out.   

Now I want one of those chocolate messes.  But that may be the baby talking. 

it was close to 80 in San Antonio on Christmas, lol...

And as far as bare feet being icky, that's a personal thing... I grew up running around barefoot... I could manage Houston summers when it was so hot we could peel the asphalt off the roads with sticks and fling it at each other, lol. And I never got worms or infections, or anything more than a sticker/splinter/piece of glass in my foot.  I still prefer bare feet (although my feet aren't nearly that tough anymore), unless I have to put shoes on , and my son runs around barefoot a lot too.

Count me in with the shoe haters! I hate shoes, I hate socks, I hate hose. I may wear sandals or flip flops from April to November here in the high desert, and whatever comfortable shoes that go with my outfit from December to March. The minute I come in from wherever I am, the footwear comes off. I'll drive barefoot too most of the time (easier to feel the clutch). 

My mother had FITS when I would go barefoot as a kid. To her, going barefoot meant you were too poor to afford shoes (she had major issues). I could walk down the middle of the street in a Tidewater Virginia summer and take on gravel too. 

Hubby...no barefoot for him, EVER! I think it's a thing...we grew up in the same area. He won't even wear sandals. Kids...some liked shoes, some hated them. 

Now...when it comes to certain things, you're damn skippy I will be sporting the appropriate footwear...heavy socks and steel-toed boots. There was no way I was going to traipse through semi-conductor fabs, construction sites and a shipyard in anything less than that. 

40 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Count me in with the shoe haters! I hate shoes, I hate socks, I hate hose. I may wear sandals or flip flops from April to November here in the high desert, and whatever comfortable shoes that go with my outfit from December to March. The minute I come in from wherever I am, the footwear comes off. I'll drive barefoot too most of the time (easier to feel the clutch). 

My mother had FITS when I would go barefoot as a kid. To her, going barefoot meant you were too poor to afford shoes (she had major issues). I could walk down the middle of the street in a Tidewater Virginia summer and take on gravel too. 

Hubby...no barefoot for him, EVER! I think it's a thing...we grew up in the same area. He won't even wear sandals. Kids...some liked shoes, some hated them. 

Now...when it comes to certain things, you're damn skippy I will be sporting the appropriate footwear...heavy socks and steel-toed boots. There was no way I was going to traipse through semi-conductor fabs, construction sites and a shipyard in anything less than that. 

I grew up in the country and we used to run around without shoes on all the time.  At the beach, on the grass, over hill and dale. Playing in the cement mixing plant next door, never wore shoes.  Now, I'm a total wuss and even wear slippers in my house!

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Hmm, so if the kids are aware of the Mannequin Challenge, does that mean they have access to Youtube or insta videos?

I was thinking this too.  Loosening of the reins?  The married girls showing their sibs?  TLC suggesting it as a normalising thing, so Jana responsible for finding godly examples for the lost kids? (My bet is the latter)

3 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Absolutely! My son is a Cub Scout, and making sure he is wearing the right shoes is something I'm drilling into him... No flip flops on a hike in this family!

3 minutes ago, Pasta said:

Who are they putting up a welcome home sign for?? Who left? 

IDK. It does not look like Jill's "house."

Uh oh. Are we for certain that Jinjer moved to Laredo? Is it possible that they didn't and that Jeremy moved to Arkansas? I have a bad feeling, y'all... 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived