IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen: Part 24- Duggars, Duvets and stuff

samurai_sarah

David Burtka (Neil Patrick Harris' husband) posted a picture of tatertot casserole. It made me think of the Duggars. 

He's a professional chef, though, so hopefully his is a bit healthier than their's. 

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Karma said:

The only thing which surprises me about this promo photo is that Jessa's belly isn't being promoted. With her being bent over, you can't even tell she's pregnant.

Yeah. Last time she had that baby in every shot, like she was so proud she was the only one there with a baby. Itseemed a little to in your face for me.

9 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Plus, as far as anyone knows, none of the Kardashians have molested anyone nor have they covered up molestation.

Eh, they allowed Tyga to groom Kylie from when she was 14 and are racist and fetishize black people. They're awful. Not as bad as the Duggars, but shitty as well. 

I haven't been on in awhile, so this may have been covered already.
But. Watching the Sessions committee hearing...
Ted Cruz is really starting to resemble Josh Duggar. It's like all Evangelicals are becoming one. Surely that's a sign of the Rapture.

Don't lump this Evangelical in the mix. Cruz, Duggars are faux Evangelicals.

6 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

David Burtka (Neil Patrick Harris' husband) posted a picture of tatertot casserole. It made me think of the Duggars. 

He's a professional chef, though, so hopefully his is a bit healthier than their's. 

You can make it without the canned soup but it will never be healthy. It's comfort food now but back in the day it had a real purpose. All that fat and calories were consumed by doing physical labor it helped fuel the menfolk and women where doing lots of physical labor too. My husband sews on a treadle sewing machine, think grandma's with a pedal, he put his pedometer on his ankle while he was sewing one day. By the time he finished his small project he had almost 20 miles on his pedometer. 

2 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Eh, they allowed Tyga to groom Kylie from when she was 14 and are racist and fetishize black people. They're awful. Not as bad as the Duggars, but shitty as well. 

Thank you. I was going to say this but it would likely devolve into a rant about all the money the Kardashians make off of their gross cultural appropriation and the whole Tyga/Kylie underage situation. 

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Thank you. I was going to say this but it would likely devolve into a rant about all the money the Kardashians make off of their gross cultural appropriation and the whole Tyga/Kylie underage situation. 

Np! The whole "KyGa" situation grosses me out... He was a grown ass man with a child and she was a teenager and her parents and siblings were okay with that, wtf. Also, the cultural appropriation is off the charts with them.

4 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Np! The whole "KyGa" situation grosses me out... He was a grown ass man with a child and she was a teenager and her parents and siblings were okay with that, wtf. Also, the cultural appropriation is off the charts with them.

Not to mention, Kris is dating someone younger than her daughters. I know people do fall in love with a 20+ age gap (my best friends parents did), but Kris and Corey don't seem like a match AT ALL. it just screams gold digger to me. 

10 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

You can make it without the canned soup but it will never be healthy. It's comfort food now but back in the day it had a real purpose. All that fat and calories were consumed by doing physical labor it helped fuel the menfolk and women where doing lots of physical labor too. My husband sews on a treadle sewing machine, think grandma's with a pedal, he put his pedometer on his ankle while he was sewing one day. By the time he finished his small project he had almost 20 miles on his pedometer. 

Interesting side note - during the great depression, scientists and prominent homemakers (like the first lady) spent a lot of time and energy devising caloricaly dense meals made from cheap, easily avalible ingredients. Think mock apple pie (from crackers) and casseroles. That period totally changed the way American families thought about food and meal planning. The three square meals concept originated then.

I actually watched an episode of one of those food documentary shows recently where they talked about breakfast.  They said breakfast in the US was very simple until a PR guy hired by a meat company was tasked with trying to increase bacon sales.  He did this by using the "appeal to authority" gambit and ran lots of commercials/ads where he would hire doctors to say that a full breakfast including bacon and eggs was necessary for good health.  The campaign took off and the average breakfast went from something simple and usually toast/bread based to fat/protein based.  

52 minutes ago, JMO said:

I actually watched an episode of one of those food documentary shows recently where they talked about breakfast.  They said breakfast in the US was very simple until a PR guy hired by a meat company was tasked with trying to increase bacon sales.  He did this by using the "appeal to authority" gambit and ran lots of commercials/ads where he would hire doctors to say that a full breakfast including bacon and eggs was necessary for good health.  The campaign took off and the average breakfast went from something simple and usually toast/bread based to fat/protein based.  

well, in all reality, that actually is better for your blood sugar levels..

On 1/9/2017 at 5:01 PM, Bad Wolf said:

@smoochie They're not allowed to hold hands before an engagement, even in a prayer circle. They are allowed a quick side hug when   courting 

So, if a group of people are gathered together for a prayer circle how does it work for any unmarrieds?   No hand touching at all?    Do all the single guys hold hands and all the single women hold hands and a married person connects the circle?   

Do they touch elbows or anything or is that forbidden as well? 

6 hours ago, MoonFace said:

So, if a group of people are gathered together for a prayer circle how does it work for any unmarrieds?   No hand touching at all?    Do all the single guys hold hands and all the single women hold hands and a married person connects the circle?   

Do they touch elbows or anything or is that forbidden as well? 

I remember when Jessa and Ben (I think) were dating and went out to eat with their parents, Jim Bob gave them *permission* to hold hands while praying

3 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I remember when Jessa and Ben (I think) were dating and went out to eat with their parents, Jim Bob gave them *permission* to hold hands while praying

But Meechelle was still flipping her lid over it.

22 hours ago, BackseatMom said:

Interesting side note - during the great depression, scientists and prominent homemakers (like the first lady) spent a lot of time and energy devising caloricaly dense meals made from cheap, easily avalible ingredients. Think mock apple pie (from crackers) and casseroles. That period totally changed the way American families thought about food and meal planning. The three square meals concept originated then.

Speaking of that, I remember seeing a recipe on the Neely family website for apple crisp (but using zucchini instead of apples). I haven't tried it myself, but I bet it'd be pretty good (not to mention that it's also a good use of extra zucchinis.)

8 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I always thought that seemed really staged to me.

What? The Duggars stage things?!? No way. 

that was the night supposedly before they got engaged so JB knew what was going to happen supposedly the next day 

Michelle just was insane 

I wonder if she screamed in her pillow every time Jinge and Jeremy got around each other 

20 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I think I just sprained something rolling my eyes so hard. Why do they have to make everything so complicated?

3 minutes ago, BackseatMom said:

I think I just sprained something rolling my eyes so hard. Why do they have to make everything so complicated?

Because they're better (holier) than the rest of us.

I'm thinking back to an older time, when I was fourteen. You see, I'd been walking, alone or with my sister or the neighbor girls, to a city park that was about 3/4 mile away from our house, since I'd been about.... seven.. But on this sunny summer day, I'd arranged to meet... A BOY there. My mother knew. She thought nothing could happen in the broad daylight, in a park full of picnickers, wedding parties, kids, and family reunions, and she was probably right. Short of me getting my feet wet in the lake, or drinking from a public water fountain that always kind of tasted like lake water..

Anyway, on that sunny summer day, my friend, who was a BOY, and I, having hiked all over the park, and, due to my expert knowledge of park layout, occupation, and hiding places, (great place for a giant hide and seek game!) we found a shady, secluded spot, sat down on a rock, and I .... had my first kiss. 

That boy and I "went out" a few more times, met at some school dances, and introduced each other to others... and my first kiss is still a happy memory of that summer. It was chaste, it was innocent, and it was something none of them will ever have because their first kiss has turned into a public production.

Do I remember the first kiss with my husband? Yes. Was it special? Only in retrospect. But my Very First Kiss was private, and it was his and mine, all mine. ETA: I neither know nor care if it was HIS first kiss. I rather suspect it was not. So it's definitely mine all mine.

Sorry. It must be throwback Thursday or something.

21 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Yeah, because you don't want to be distracted from prayer by having hand sex!   

1 hour ago, MoonFace said:

Yeah, because you don't want to be distracted from prayer by having hand sex!   

Well, now I'm torn. On the one hand, restricting hand holding and all physical contact because URGES!!1! Is ridiculous. However, their hyper-focus on sex does make their hand holding pretty obscene (a la smuggar and Anna).

Damnit, Duggars, you ruin everything!

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Because they're better (holier) than the rest of us.

And because they don't have anything else to do (school, college, job) than exagerating all that quasi-holy stuff to feel more important and smart.

On 12/22/2016 at 8:57 PM, candygirl200413 said:

Flash mobs are usually about dancing... and they don't dance...

It was just so awkward. I would just be like what the eff is going on?

I agree it was awkward - BUT there have been some very successful flash mobs that were just singing ... but it would be an opera company or large skilled church choir doing the entire Hallelujah Chorus in a store with wonderful acoustics or a professional movie theater group singing "One More Day" from Les Mis with all the parts in the center of the mall.    Not amateur singers, spread out too far, in a space with bad acoustics.        But teens have been known to do worse in Walmarts :)

On 1/11/2017 at 8:25 PM, Gillyweed said:

and actually, from a pure viewpoint of consent, wasn't that a bad thing to do?   If, as they say, the couple had set their own boundaries, then springing it on them like that wasn't giving either an easy way to say "no" to it ...  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived