IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and the Shower Rack- Part 21

samurai_sarah

10 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Who said anything about his personality? Personally I think Izzy seems like a spitfire and I love it. But if my grandpa was a douche I wouldn't want to look like him either. If Israel ever breaks free when he grows up (or before!) it would probably suck to be a physical reminder of the cult he came from. That's all I meant, speaking for me, not sure about the person I was responding to. But in any case, I won't comment further.

If you want to snark on Jim Bob, snark on him directly.  Go ahead.  There's no need to involve Israel in some (possibly imaginary because I really don't see it) resemblance to his grandfather.   If Israel does ever break free then I doubt he'll care about what Jim Bob looks like or think that some vague family resemblance sucks.

You are right though, I should have called out the other person too.  Here you go:

18 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That kid looks so much like Jim Bob, I just can't look at those photos lol. 

16 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Oh gosh I knoooow. Every time I look at that kid I feel bad. He is the spitting image of Grandpa Boob.

It sounds like you are mocking the kid for his looks when you say you can't look at his cute pictures, and say you feel bad when you look at him.  It's not cool to mock kids.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the resemblance either. I do recall seeing a baby photo of Jill and I think Israel looks a lot like she did. I think he's pretty cute. 

He does look like Jill's baby picture, but also like Derick's.  He's a mix.  Funny that people think he looks like JB and people think Spruge looks like JB, but to me Israel and Spurge look nothing alike.

Yeah, in an adult relationship, if a partner says they want to do this thing, or that thing, the other partner should take them at their work, because otherwise life is a hellish mess of trying parse what they really mean (shudders, I'm never doing that again).  And equally, having a partner second-guess everything you say is unhealthy too.
I totally get that it would be harder for Jill than for a lot of people, to say she doesn't want to go back, BUT if this is how she feels, she's not helping anyone by not speaking up.
But to jump on my own speculation bus:  I was wondering if her recent post about Nepalese bracelets means maybe they'd want to go back to Nepal instead?  She visited there, and he has history there, and people wouldn't expect her to learn the language...  I wouldn't be surprised if they tried a missioncation in a different part of the world...

I wonder if there is Zika in Nepal. Other than earthquakes how is the safety over there.

Personally, if I was set on being a missionary in another country AND planned on having eleventy kids I'd go to Canada. Closeish to home, same language (and Québécois), and most importantly access to first world health care. After a birth like Izzy, I'd be VERY reluctant to give birth in Sintral America. I'm sure they have hospitals and great doctors but why take that chance. I'm sure they could find some "Native Canadians" to try and save.

Please keep in mind I am not a very big fan of missionaries. I am Jewish and we don't really actively convert people, so I find the whole idea kinda weird. I am not saying it is a good idea not an ok one to try and convert the tribes up in Canada. The history of abuses against them is horrendous and they don't need flyers and fundies to deal with. I would look up specific tribe names but my phone is a piece of poop and won't let me google search for some reason so I have no idea what the correct nomenclature is in this situation. For that I apologize.

35 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

He does look like Jill's baby picture, but also like Derick's.  He's a mix.  Funny that people think he looks like JB and people think Spruge looks like JB, but to me Israel and Spurge look nothing alike.

I think SES is a very good mix of both Jessa and Ben. I do not see Derick in Izzy.

Some pics I think Izzy looks like a tiny blonde replica of JB. I don't understand why its an issue to point out family resemblance. It doesn't mean he'll act at all like JB, just that he resembles his grandfather. People tell me I look like my father, but I never took that to mean I'm going to abandon my own children.

21 minutes ago, missegeno said:

Some pics I think Izzy looks like a tiny blonde replica of JB. I don't understand why its an issue to point out family resemblance. It doesn't mean he'll act at all like JB, just that he resembles his grandfather. People tell me I look like my father, but I never took that to mean I'm going to abandon my own children.

As @Palimpsestsaid, there's nothing wrong with pointing out a resemblance. But it is unfair to make fun of a kid for how they look. What you said here is perfectly fine. But someone saying things like "I can't look at his pictures because he looks so much like Boob" or "I feel bad because he looks like Boob" is making fun to a certain extent. 

23 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

I wonder if there is Zika in Nepal. Other than earthquakes how is the safety over there.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/active-countries.html

The US, Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, Cape Verde, and some Pacific Islands including Papua NG have reported cases so far.  Nepal would be safe for Christian missionaries when it comes to Zika but is really not keen on them.  Actually, it is hostile to them.  Evangelizing (trying to convert people to another religion) is illegal - and that is why Derrick pretended to be doing "humanitarian" work when he was there.

I wouldn't really wish these fake missionaries on Nepal anyway.  Jill and Derrick are the last things Nepal needs.

Personally, if I was set on being a missionary in another country AND planned on having eleventy kids I'd go to Canada. Closeish to home, same language (and Québécois), and most importantly access to first world health care. After a birth like Izzy, I'd be VERY reluctant to give birth in Sintral America. I'm sure they have hospitals and great doctors but why take that chance. I'm sure they could find some "Native Canadians" to try and save.

Oh, no! Not Canada, particularly with First Nation people!

Let's see.  Scotland and the UK have plenty of missionaries trying to convert the heathens there (see the Hodnetts).  Not Africa and beyond, Shrader has that covered.  Australia and NZ might be good, they both have active IBLP headquarters.  And they speak English there too.

Nah.  I think these two need to stay in the US not pollute other countries with their religion. Perhaps they can go to Memphis and convert the Pentecostals there to the right kind of Christianity.  Or I'm sure there are lots of heathens in Nashville.  If they don't even want to leave Arkansas - there's always Little Rock!

56 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

I am Jewish and we don't really actively convert people, so I find the whole idea kinda weird.

One of the most attractive things about Judaism in my opinion. :)

I would love to see them try and convert people in the US. You are lazy if you go to a country, whose language you don't speak, and say you are spreading the word of God to people who have no idea what you are saying and already know about Jesus. You basically want to pretend you are doing something but don't want to have to deal with the response from someone who speaks your language and may be able to out Jesus you. How can you go to a primarily Catholic country and think they have never heard of Jesus? It is the height of stupidity. I would love for the Duggars/Dillard's to try and convert me from Catholicism. I would have no problem going all Catholic School girl on them. 

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

If you want to snark on Jim Bob, snark on him directly.  Go ahead.  There's no need to involve Israel in some (possibly imaginary because I really don't see it) resemblance to his grandfather.   If Israel does ever break free then I doubt he'll care about what Jim Bob looks like or think that some vague family resemblance sucks.

You are right though, I should have called out the other person too.  Here you go:

It sounds like you are mocking the kid for his looks when you say you can't look at his cute pictures, and say you feel bad when you look at him.  It's not cool to mock kids.

I'm mocking myself more for being unable to see past it, tbh. 

2 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

Considering what missionaries did the Aboriginals, I think they would tell the Dillards to fuck off. Also many Aboriginal groups such as the Inuit and Innu live in the northern regions, so I can't see Derrick and Jill surviving -40C. Might be worst than Danger America, pray for us there's a blizzard coming. Yeah, no. 

14 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm mocking myself more for being unable to see past it, tbh. 

Fair enough.  Probably one of those times when intent and tone don't convey over the internet. 

Regarding the tree, I could have sworn that I'd seen one before, but then found some conflicting evidence down in that rabbit hole.  Here's Josh walking People through the TTH, discussing their traditions (he is at peak smugness here, be forewarned). MEchelle comments to the cameras that they really prefer to focus on Jesus for the holiday: http://people.com/tv/19-kids-and-counting-duggar-family-celebrates-christmas-video/  

But then there's also this from youtube from a few years earlier, featuring a tree.  Perhaps they've grown more godly since then? It's worth watching for the vintage Duggar hair and attitudes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgntDB4_-0

So as usual, they provide us with information which contradicts itself, but still keeps the cameras on them.   

20 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Regarding the tree, I could have sworn that I'd seen one before, but then found some conflicting evidence down in that rabbit hole.  Here's Josh walking People through the TTH, discussing their traditions (he is at peak smugness here, be forewarned). MEchelle comments to the cameras that they really prefer to focus on Jesus for the holiday: http://people.com/tv/19-kids-and-counting-duggar-family-celebrates-christmas-video/  

But then there's also this from youtube from a few years earlier, featuring a tree.  Perhaps they've grown more godly since then? It's worth watching for the vintage Duggar hair and attitudes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drgntDB4_-0

So as usual, they provide us with information which contradicts itself, but still keeps the cameras on them.   

Theres a shot of a 2004 tree at 1:28

I'm a little weirded out by them asking for the cops' "autographs" at 4:10.  

There is DEFINITELY a tree here in Little Rock house (2010) - you can see it at the very beginning of this clip in the preview for the episode and again at 3:18 where they exchange gifts.  Christmas morning was pretty normal, with kids ripping into gifts... so Michelle needs to remember that the internet never forgets when making shit up.

duggar rules.jpg

They probably didnt have a tree the year of the walk through because they were headed on their mission trip. I just love the sign behind Joshly... "always tell the truth," "laugh at yourself..." 

I recall a video from when the older kids were little where there was a Christmas tree. I remember Amy was in it and she was just a little kid. Don't know at whose house it took place. 

I like the (CHRIST)MAS shirt, because the rest of us don't know the meaning of  Christmas. Good thing we have the Duggars to remind us. Duh.

Wow!  The smug is strong with that one! 

I had forgotten how tiny Josie was.  I would be so afraid to touch her for fear I would hurt her.  I wonder if those kids truly understood just how fragile Josie's condition was.  I also wonder if the sperm and egg donors can look through that photo album (in Josie's 1st xmas)  today and name all their spawn.

One of the rules is HUG OFTEN. What????? Shouldn't it say, SIDE HUG OFTEN. Don't want us poor heathens being defrauded.

9 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

Please keep in mind I am not a very big fan of missionaries. I am Jewish and we don't really actively convert people, so I find the whole idea kinda weird. I am not saying it is a good idea not an ok one to try and convert the tribes up in Canada. The history of abuses against them is horrendous and they don't need flyers and fundies to deal with. I would look up specific tribe names but my phone is a piece of poop and won't let me google search for some reason so I have no idea what the correct nomenclature is in this situation. For that I apologize.

There could be conditions for Zika transmission in the very south of the country near India, but there haven't been any reported cases in Nepal or India. There have been in Singapore, where a lot of Nepalis go for work, though.

As for actual safety in Nepal, earthquake reconstruction is still underway (and two useless uneducated white people blathering about Jesus and not spending a lot of money on the local economy will not expedite that process) and it's a very poor country that attracts a lot of (comparatively) wealthy tourists, so petty crime and some violent crime are an issue. And then even before the earthquake, Nepal is pretty rural and infrastructure is difficult to build and maintain (not much money to do it and, ya know, giant mountains that turn into super humid jungles on top of heavy seismic activity), so Mother Nature (be she in the form of disease, weather, altitude, or seismic activity) is probably the biggest danger they'd have to worry about. It's likely a lot safer in terms of crime than a lot of places in Central America, but I wouldn't be especially eager to move there with a baby and little to no language skills or a steady job.

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

There is DEFINITELY a tree here in Little Rock house (2010) - you can see it at the very beginning of this clip in the preview for the episode and again at 3:18 where they exchange gifts.  

Yep, but that was a friend's house that they were able to stay at for a little while. None of their own furniture, decorations, etc. 

And holy baby jesus, I mean, Josh in that video, wow. Noone's needed a good dick punch quite like that smug manbaby.

Oh please not Canada. Most people here aren't overly or fanatically religious, and it would be great if we could avoid Duggars or other similarly inclined evangelicals encouraging zealotry.

And certainly not the First Nations. They have already suffered enough at the hands of various stripes of Christian Missionaries. Given the resurgence of Native spirituality and how accepting the Catholic Church here seems to be of incorporating aspects of it into their practice, I can't see any First Nations group wanting a lot to do with a group of utterly useless do-gooders from another country coming and telling them if they don't put aside their culture and do/think/believe x, they are going to burn in hell. They've already been through that - and the whole Residential Schools mess is still an ugly scar for a lot of people who remember all too well what the damage that kind of ridgid Christianity caused, as well as their friends and family members who were collateral damage as they had to deal with the PTSD and other resultant issues of the survivors.

I could see well funded, respectful missionaries with a reasonable level of knowledge regarding first nations cultures being tolerated if they were doing something significant to help the community they were located in (so long as they made a point of not pushing religion), but it wouldn't surprise me much if those of a Duggaresque bent found themselves completely ostracised by the community or run out of town.

On the practical upside, I doubt that the Canadian government would be too quick to issue work visas or extended stay visas to people who were planning on doing nothing but preach at people, and I can't imagine a Tribal Council allocating land or housing to missionaries...

Izzy is cute.  I haven't watched the show lately except for the Jinger wedding episode... do Jill and Derrick call him Izzy?  Or just Israel?  He's really tall for his age.... wonder how tall he'll end up.  

16 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't see it either, now Spurgey. That boy looks so much like Boob, but he's cute, and those curls. 

21 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I like the (CHRIST)MAS shirt, because the rest of us don't know the meaning of  Christmas. Good thing we have the Duggars to remind us. Duh.

I quite like the humorous T shirts (as opposed to their more extreme ones!).

One of elders of my local church has a 'God The Builder' T-shirt done in the style of UK kids' favourite 'Bob The Builder' which always makes me laugh.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived