IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and the Shower Rack- Part 21

samurai_sarah

My (15 yr old with food issues) daughter ate a bacon cheeseburger a couple of months back. I nearly cried [emoji3]
It had CHEESE ON IT! I can't remember the last time she ate cheese....... but she was probably under 2 
(and yes, I too was a fussy eater [emoji6] )

Oh my another non cheese eater!!!!! Although I am not as picky about cheese as I used to be. And I use the "no cheeseburgers for Jews" line even though I'm not kosher.

Other than that I'm a pretty adventurous eater!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Not this month please! No visiting fundie Duggars in SF, I mean. I'm taking GrandGirl and I have no idea how I would answer, "Mimere, who are those weirdos and why are cameras following them?"

You need to get GrandGirl to LA(Louisiana, not Los Angeles) around Mardi Gras.  California has nothing to compare with it.  Would love to see the Duggars visit Bourbon St., slide into one of the gay bars thinking it was a "happy place" and see the beautiful costumes , clothes and makeup the cross dressers wear.  Let's see them try to 'save' all those  sinners.

@NewOrleansLady, I would LOVE to take GrandGirl to Mardi Gras in NOLA!!! We have a small very family friendly Mardi Gras in a small town near us. This is the first year she gets to go and the question is already can we go to NOLA next time and then to Baton Rouge (LSU). She's fine with cosplayers and general San Francisco weirdness, Bible thumpers not so much.

On 12/7/2016 at 7:07 PM, imokit said:

My pet peeve is people fighting illness especially cancer.  If they die, does that mean they didn't fight hard enough?  If they realise that things are incurable and go for palliation is that failing to fight?

I get that its meant to be uplifting but to me it just makes people who die seem like they didn't fight hard enough :(

The "lost the battle"/"battling cancer"/"cancer warrior" rhetoric annoys me precisely because of that. I think people have come to see palliative/hospice/end-of-life care as "giving up" because of rhetoric that paints cancer as a war and those who are cured or in remission as successful "warriors" who "beat" it. And while that's definitely comforting for some people and can be a good motivator to keep your spirits up and work hard to recover, it also stigmatizes measures that allow people to die in comfort and dignity, and/or to enjoy the time they have left with minimal pain and suffering. It's not "giving up" or "losing the battle" -- it's acceptance and a form of agency over one's body and destiny.

In general, I think the way we talk about illness and disability really interesting, but also really limiting and problematic, because it so often stigmatizes being sick or disabled, or puts the blame or onus on the afflicted (like how you mentioned that it sounds like people who die of an illness didn't fight hard enough) for not getting better and becoming normal again.

I'm pretty sure Jill and Derrick are preventing pregnancy. We all knew how Jill got pregnant faster than lightning and she knows how to track her fertility given her doula training. I think Derrick has encouraged her to prevent for some reason and she submitted to him. 

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

I'm pretty sure Jill and Derrick are preventing pregnancy. We all knew how Jill got pregnant faster than lightning and she knows how to track her fertility given her doula training. I think Derrick has encouraged her to prevent for some reason and she submitted to him. 

They're definitely not. In that interview episode they were clearly upset she wasn't pregnant yet. She said she's taken a ton of pregnancy tests and was surprised (and from her face, frustrated) that Jessa got pregnant first. I think it's more likely that they're having trouble getting pregnant this time around. Maybe there were problems after the c-section? 

On 12/7/2016 at 3:19 PM, SuchABlessing said:

I'm glad Cathy isn't having a relapse. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

What I do wish is she be a little more sensitive when talking about how God  cured her cancer when there are thousands of good people each year that die from it. If you're in a "public" spotlight like Cathy, you're basically disrespecting everyone who ever lost someone to cancer by saying God chose to cure you and not them. 

God, if there is one, doesn't cure cancer any more than he inflicts it.  It bothers me too when I hear someone thanking God for curing their cancer, because my brother died at 47 from cancer, leaving a wife and 3 children who needed him very much.  But I understand why they are so thankful and know they don't mean their God  decided not to spare my brother.  

5 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@PennySycamore, (zombie arms out, moaning) coffee, french market cofffe and then beignets! :my_biggrin:

Normally, I take my coffee black, but that French market cafe au lait is wonderful!

8 hours ago, halcionne said:

I went to the Dillard blog looking for any clues as to why Derick might fly into SFO. I didn't get any insight because I was distracted by the riguas recipe. I'm salvadoran by ex-marriage (not really a thing, I know :pb_lol:) and was unfamiliar with the dish, so I googled it. Now I'm annoyed because the Dillards used a stolen picture to illustrate their recipe, which is basically the recipe whose photo they used, uncredited, translated into English. Double theft! Is it really so hard to say recipe and photo credit courtesy of _______.com? No, it isn't.

Back to the flight. Could it have been a layover on the way to an international destination? Perhaps Nepal? :think: Tell us more, Dillards. 

He confirmed it was a layover today on Twitter. Could they be going back to Nepal (filmed, of course)? Hawaii for a second honeymoon? Duggars have already done Asia, so I doubt that's it, besides, the rest of the family is home, unless Jessa is posting ultrasounds and Duggar Films posting videos of pumpkin balls from Tahiti. 

8 hours ago, halcionne said:

I went to the Dillard blog looking for any clues as to why Derick might fly into SFO...Back to the flight. Could it have been a layover on the way to an international destination? Perhaps Nepal? :think: Tell us more, Dillards. 

I doubt that he was going from Little Rock to Nepal via SFO - the leg from Little Rock to SFO is going in the wrong direction, to get to Nepal fly towards Europe and keep going. SFO isn't any airline's hub either. I just flew in & out of SFO internationally 2 & 4 wk.s ago & it's not really a huge connecting airport for Europe & beyond, in fact it's international terminal is relatively small, plus it is prone to delays, it'd make more sense to head to someplace like Chicago or the east coast to connect from Little Rock.

They don't fly out of Little Rock. They fly out of Fayetteville, and their connecting flights are usually out of Dallas. I just speculated about Nepal, not saying it was a certainty by any means. I think they went to Hawaii, for which SFO IS a huge connecting hub. 

11 minutes ago, marmalade said:

They don't fly out of Little Rock. They fly out of Fayetteville, and their connecting flights are usually out of Dallas. I just speculated about Nepal, not saying it was a certainty by any means. I think they went to Hawaii, for which SFO IS a huge connecting hub. 

Hawaii makes sense, or even to connect to Australia, New Zealand, Asia.

Dallas is a big hub for American Airlines, right?

Is Fayetteville a big airport? I've been in/out of Little Rock once - years ago, and must admit that I'm not really familiar w/ flying in and out of Arkansas as I'm west coast based.

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The "lost the battle"/"battling cancer"/"cancer warrior" rhetoric annoys me precisely because of that. I think people have come to see palliative/hospice/end-of-life care as "giving up" because of rhetoric that paints cancer as a war and those who are cured or in remission as successful "warriors" who "beat" it. And while that's definitely comforting for some people and can be a good motivator to keep your spirits up and work hard to recover, it also stigmatizes measures that allow people to die in comfort and dignity, and/or to enjoy the time they have left with minimal pain and suffering. It's not "giving up" or "losing the battle" -- it's acceptance and a form of agency over one's body and destiny.

In general, I think the way we talk about illness and disability really interesting, but also really limiting and problematic, because it so often stigmatizes being sick or disabled, or puts the blame or onus on the afflicted (like how you mentioned that it sounds like people who die of an illness didn't fight hard enough) for not getting better and becoming normal again.

Yeah, I agree with you, NH. 

When I had my brush with cancer some years ago I did my treatments but I didn't feel like I was 'fighting' anything. It was just something I had to do. It sucked and I endured it. I'm glad to be done with it and I don't want any medals.  ;)

DH and I didn't tell anyone except our families and our closest friends and whoever else absolutely needed to know. It was bad enough that I had cancer, I didn't feel like being anyone's hero.  

I think all that stuff makes people on the periphery of the disease feel better, it doesn't do much for the sufferer. I understand that. I've been on both sides. 

Every year when October rolls around I have to brace myself for all the pink business and just concentrate on Halloween. :)

34 minutes ago, sndral said:

Is Fayetteville a big airport? 

No, it's a very small airport. Sercuity has taken me about five minutes the last two times. They have a mini Walmart gendering machines like Best Buy has in some malls and airports. A fair amount of promotional material for the Walmart measuem and a nice little bar by American Airlines. Plus the big chess board that's fun to play with.

Outsode of Dallas their flights tend to be to either Chicago or Charolett, SC or NC. It's a really nice airport out in the country where you drive pass a petting zoo. 

As for why San Fran he could be on his why to some preacher event conference. Or maybe his flight was rerouted for the lay over 

3 hours ago, kjmackin said:

No, it's a very small airport. Sercuity has taken me about five minutes the last two times. They have a mini Walmart gendering machines like Best Buy has in some malls and airports. A fair amount of promotional material for the Walmart measuem and a nice little bar by American Airlines. Plus the big chess board that's fun to play with.

Outsode of Dallas their flights tend to be to either Chicago or Charolett, SC or NC. It's a really nice airport out in the country where you drive pass a petting zoo. 

As for why San Fran he could be on his why to some preacher event conference. Or maybe his flight was rerouted for the lay over 

I know gendering machine is a typo, but considering the Duggars' (and fundies in general) obsession with putting baby girls in metric tons of lace and flowers to show that they're girls, it's a little too apt.

Also, as someone who travels a lot, small airports for the win (except for maybe Hong Kong Airport, which is just awesome).

SFO is a huge hub for Asia, particularly with all the silicon valley types flying towards Japan and elsewhere. Or they could be going toward Canada, Mexico, Seattle, anywhere really. 

I have a Christian, non fundie friend who posted on facebook that her grandpa "beat cancer and is now with the lord". :my_huh: that is something I really just can't get behind. 

I know gendering machine is a typo, but considering the Duggars' (and fundies in general) obsession with putting baby girls in metric tons of lace and flowers to show that they're girls, it's a little too apt.
Also, as someone who travels a lot, small airports for the win (except for maybe Hong Kong Airport, which is just awesome).

I'm still trying to figure out what a gendering machine is.... I can't even come up with something autocorrect might have mistaken it for.

12 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

God, if there is one, doesn't cure cancer any more than he inflicts it.  It bothers me too when I hear someone thanking God for curing their cancer, because my brother died at 47 from cancer, leaving a wife and 3 children who needed him very much.  But I understand why they are so thankful and know they don't mean their God  decided not to spare my brother.  

I don't begrudge anyone their personal journey through cancer. Some people I don't think need to believe in God to help get them through and as long as they aren't judging others for not believing or outwardly projecting that belief I'm okay with that. Kind of like you said. And the reverse is true too. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason sometimes so no judgment to those who get angry when people start mentioning God or telling people they have to remain "positive" or they aren't fighting hard enough. 

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I have a Christian, non fundie friend who posted on facebook that her grandpa "beat cancer and is now with the lord". :my_huh: that is something I really just can't get behind. 

To many Christians heaven is a reward and is considered "home". A memory just popped up on my facebook the other day for the anniversary of the death of my husband's grandpa. My husband had posted how his grandpa had gone home to the Lord. He was happy that his grandpa was no longer suffering and was now reunited with his wife who had passed about a decade before him. To him death is the end of suffering and the beginning of a reward well deserved after enduring hardships on earth. 

40 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

To many Christians heaven is a reward and is considered "home". A memory just popped up on my facebook the other day for the anniversary of the death of my husband's grandpa. My husband had posted how his grandpa had gone home to the Lord. He was happy that his grandpa was no longer suffering and was now reunited with his wife who had passed about a decade before him. To him death is the end of suffering and the beginning of a reward well deserved after enduring hardships on earth. 

My mom worked for a man with MS caring for him and went with him to his sister's funeral. She was an officer in the Salvation Army and my mom told me how strange it was that the funeral was very "happy". All the songs sung were very joyful and so was the speeches. Everyone was so thankful their sister in Christ now was with God and at peace. My mom didn't really mind and could really understand why they did this but it was quite a contrast from our church which kind looks at both sides, both the pain of the living and the promise of heaven. 

It beats my grandmother's funeral in a Pentecostal church. They spent most of the time trying to convince people of the need to convert to the "right" form or Christianity and the rest talking about how grandma had wanted to die since she lost my dad (dad died at 56). Yes, it was a hard blow to grandma, no doubt, but she did have a good life after dad died too. There was also a forced sing along of religious songs at the coffee and cake afterwards and everyone was upset we didn't have a lot of speeches and poems to read in her honor. It was not that we didn't miss her, we just preferred to talk about her more casually while sitting at the table. My church might have ideas about the ceremony itself but I have never heard of them having views about any activity afterwards. 

6 hours ago, Trynn said:

I'm still trying to figure out what a gendering machine is.... I can't even come up with something autocorrect might have mistaken it for.

Vending machine? Fits the context too.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived