IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and the Shower Rack- Part 21

samurai_sarah

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

No idea, but I would definitely wear that. Actually, I want that outfit.

I would so wear this and I am neither young nor slim! 

9 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

There's no body shaming going on here. I didn't say Jill looks bad. I said she looks pregnant. And I think that's fair game when this family has built their entire fame on their fertility. 

And I don't believe a word Derick says. The Duggars lie whenever it suits them. They always have. 

This whole "quit body shaming" them thing is getting a bit ridiculous. This is a snark board. And I'm in a forum about a family that not only obsessively talks about their fertility but has exploited it for money and fame. If they don't want people speculating about whether or not they're pregnant then they should stop using their fertility as a main plot on their show. 

The hand slapping every time someone thinks they're pregnant is really getting old. 

This. I'm generally against speculating pregnancy; as it can cross the line into creep-ville. It can also seriously hurt those we are speculating, whether it be they have self-image issues or if the couple is having trouble conceiving. Generally it's a taboo topic I would like to avoid. 

HOWEVER. The duggars only claim to fame is the obscene number of children they have. That's literally the only thing that gave them their show. They dangle pregnancies and courtships to keep people interested. They WANT you to speculate their pregnancies because it's the one tiny thing they have to keep their fans interested in them. Honestly I don't like the pregnancy speculation, because it plays right into their game, and a member of family with 19 kids getting pregnant isn't all that newsworthy to begin with. 

I don't think Jill looks pregnant, and I don't think she's pawing Derick, but I do agree Jill's outfit is ill fitting.
Surely there is a fundie version of Stacey London.

Now THAT is a show I'd watch!

My only addition to the pregnancy speculation/body shaming conversation:

I've seen a lot of people use the "this is a snark site" argument when defending their right to engage in more "gossipy" type discussions here. And yes, thats correct. This is a snark site. However, the actual purpose of the site is to discuss the flaws of fundamentalism - meaning their core beliefs rather than their appearance. So criticizing the Duggars for having a shitload of kids they don't care for properly because Jesus is keeping with the spirit of the site's true purpose. Hyper-focusing on clothing choices or whether someone "looks" pregnant really is not.

That said, it's not banned speculation. As long as people follow the few rules we do have that's what counts. If people want to discuss that kind of "gossipy" stuff they're more than entitled to. And others are more than entitled to call them out on it if they take issue with it. Yeah, it gets old for everyone fast and it usually turns into an argument - but everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is free to state that opinion too.

Self-policing is part of what makes FJ work as well as it does. I know it may get annoying at times, but it's a necessary way of preventing tons of Forum rules from being made. Over time, Board culture ultimately works out what is and isn't considered allowable speculation. I have no doubt that'll be the case here too. At some point it'll stop being an issue and the board will either continue discussing it without argument or it'll be an avoided topic.  

Personally, I'd love it if there was less of a focus on the gossip stuff and more of a focus on what actually makes these people dangerous. But I know I'm probably not in the majority on that right now and I'm kind of just tired of taking part in the endless cycle of bickering. So I'm just going to focus more on other forums that actually interest me. I really just wanted to point out why the site actually exists and why self-policing is so useful with a site like this.

9 hours ago, jacduggar said:

I wasn't aware that we could comment on women's figures and say they look pregnant every 10 minutes but it's not body shaming because they are on TV. 

No, it's body shaming. Speculate all day because she's said she wants a mega family. But the second you say her stomach or body looks pregnant, you are body shaming and it's disgusting. All of the snark fodder on these people and you go for the most shallow of all. 

I agree every time we see Jill in an over sized top or with a food baby its she's pregnant. Only time will tell how many kids all these people will have, IF she is pregnant now Izzy will be 2 or almost 2 when she has this baby, that is a perfectly nice age gap. I won't start ragging on her for getting pregnant until she's on baby 5 or 6.  

11 hours ago, jacduggar said:

I wasn't aware that we could comment on women's figures and say they look pregnant every 10 minutes but it's not body shaming because they are on TV. 

No, it's body shaming. Speculate all day because she's said she wants a mega family. But the second you say her stomach or body looks pregnant, you are body shaming and it's disgusting. All of the snark fodder on these people and you go for the most shallow of all. 

If you're going to lecture me about my post, then you could at least talk about what I actually said. I didn't say it was okay just because she was on TV. I said it was fair game because they are exploiting their fertility for fame and money. They don't get to have it both ways. If they don't want people to speculate on their fertility then they need to stop using their fertility to try to make money and gain fame. 

And I don't really care if you think my post was disgusting or shallow. I don't agree with everything that's posted about on this board, but I don't feel the need to lecture other adults about what/how they can post.

But you go ahead and carry on with your lectures on appropriate board behavior if it makes you happy. Makes no difference to me. 

On 11/27/2016 at 1:51 PM, eyerollsforjesus said:

The warped timeline to social media makes it look like Izzy's eye hurt off and on for over a month. (Which of course I hope is not the case). Hopefully he just fell once and they spaced the pictures. I just don't understand why they keep posting without saying he bumped his head. Just odd how they use social media. 

IMG_3763.JPG

To me it looks like the bruise only seems much less pronounced in the first formal/posed photo because it's been blurred out a bit or had a filter applied to it by the photographer. The others are just random snapshots and posted as-is. It just looks like he ran into a doorknob or table corner - some kids are more rambunctious and accident prone than others. I remember one of my brothers had some form of road rash/black eye/missing tooth in every school photo he's ever had.

And for what it's worth, I strongly dislike pregnancy speculation based solely on photos. Mostly because over-analyzing every aspect of a woman's body is only feeding into the objectification of women, and the attitude that women are only valued on their appearance or as a sentient uterus. But also because, in the case of fundies, it's a non-event so who the hell cares.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My only addition to the pregnancy speculation/body shaming conversation:

I've seen a lot of people use the "this is a snark site" argument when defending their right to engage in more "gossipy" type discussions here. And yes, thats correct. This is a snark site. However, the actual purpose of the site is to discuss the flaws of fundamentalism - meaning their core beliefs rather than their appearance. So criticizing the Duggars for having a shitload of kids they don't care for properly because Jesus is keeping with the spirit of the site's true purpose. Hyper-focusing on clothing choices or whether someone "looks" pregnant really is not.

I appreciate that you expressed that view point without being hand-slapping. So thanks. 

But I gotta disagree with you. There are times when we discuss the dangers of fundamentalism on this board, and that's valuable. But about 90% of the board is devoted to other things; recipes, non-Duggar TV discussions, endless discussions about what kind of wedding gown Jinger Duggar is going to wear, speculation about the Duggars' lives that has no grounding in actual fact. None of that accomplishes anything beyond just being mindless talk - and I'm not knocking that. I enjoy the mindless discussions as much as the substantive discussions. But the discussions about the dangers of fundamentalism only comprise of very small percentage of what this board discusses, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the sites true purpose is to discuss the dangers of fundamentalism. 

And like I said, I'm not knocking the board. I enjoy it for what it is - a site that's largely a snark site. But I'm not under any illusions here. There are endless threads devoted to discussing clothing Jinger and her attendants might wear to the wedding, then what they did wear - and those threads exists for every Duggar wedding. And if that's entertaining to people, then good for them. I'm not here to tell other people how to post. But I'm also not going to pretend like every aspect of this board has a deep purpose when some sections are deep and meaningful  (I've had some great political discussions on this site) and some sections are gossip/fluff. And 90% of the Duggar discussions are gossip/fluff. So, as long as the Duggar threads are 90% gossip/fluff, I'm going to continue contributing my gossip/fluff comments.

Izzy and the eye boo-boo. My youngest kid had boo-boos pretty much continuously from about 10 months old until he was probably 5. He moved fast, climbed like a monkey and had NO fear. He has a couple of scars on his eyebrows from slamming into corners, broke his first bone at 3.5. True story...took him to get his cast off from his broken foot (he broke a bone in his foot wrestling with his brother) and stopped at the eyeglass place on the way home to get #1 kid's glasses adjusted. Doctor told 3yo to not run (yeah, right). 3yo ran anyway, was still unsteady on his feet (remember, the cast had come off about an hour before this) and crashed into one of the display cases. He ended up with a 1 inch slice in his eyebrow. So...off to the urgent care for stitches.

So...I can't say much about Izzy and his eye boo-boo. I had a fast moving, not terribly coordinated little hoodlum too.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

OMG! I wish you were on the Joy and Boyfriend thread earlier. Each time I look to see if it has by chance come back to it's original point, they are STILL talking button down shirts. I gave up, SMH.

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I agree every time we see Jill in an over sized top or with a food baby its she's pregnant. Only time will tell how many kids all these people will have, IF she is pregnant now Izzy will be 2 or almost 2 when she has this baby, that is a perfectly nice age gap. I won't start ragging on her for getting pregnant until she's on baby 5 or 6.  

Really, every time we see Jill at all it's she's pregnant.  She's back in the US - she must be pg.  She is sitting down in all the pictures - she must be pg.  She bought new shoes her feet must be swollen - she must be pg.  (OK, she doesn't wear shoes, but still....)  It's that way with all of them.  It will be that way with Jinger and Joy once they have more pictures out there. 

Bruises are normal for young children, my daughter wasn't even very active but a period actually around the age Izzy is now she had bruises constantly. At one time she had a bruise and a bump on her forehead and one under her eye. I don't know how many times I got a concerned look from people so I had to tell them how she got the bruises in hope they would not call social services on me. I think that at times they want to do more than their bodies can handle and they fall and bump into things more than others. My four year old keeps falling over now and she has also grown quite a bit so I think that she is getting used to her new bigger body.

28 minutes ago, elliha said:

Bruises are normal for young children, my daughter wasn't even very active but a period actually around the age Izzy is now she had bruises constantly. At one time she had a bruise and a bump on her forehead and one under her eye. I don't know how many times I got a concerned look from people so I had to tell them how she got the bruises in hope they would not call social services on me. I think that at times they want to do more than their bodies can handle and they fall and bump into things more than others. My four year old keeps falling over now and she has also grown quite a bit so I think that she is getting used to her new bigger body.

My sister was the same, she constantly ran into walls or tables and she always managed to fall on the little toycars and helicopters that were laying around. My mom had to take her to the ER several times to get stitches. One time we nearly missed our flight back home from our vacation, because she had bumped her head on the toilet seat :-(

OMG! I wish you were on the Joy and Boyfriend thread earlier. Each time I look to see if it has by chance come back to it's original point, they are STILL talking button down shirts. I gave up, SMH.

Eh, thread drift is also a widely-accepted part of FJ culture.

6 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

If you're going to lecture me about my post, then you could at least talk about what I actually said. I didn't say it was okay just because she was on TV. I said it was fair game because they are exploiting their fertility for fame and money. They don't get to have it both ways. If they don't want people to speculate on their fertility then they need to stop using their fertility to try to make money and gain fame. 

And I don't really care if you think my post was disgusting or shallow. I don't agree with everything that's posted about on this board, but I don't feel the need to lecture other adults about what/how they can post.

But you go ahead and carry on with your lectures on appropriate board behavior if it makes you happy. Makes no difference to me. 

Speculate on fertility all day but leave her body out of it. It's NEVER ok to body shame ANYONE. Why is that hard to grasp? Justifying discussing Jill's size and how she looks pregnant justifies discussing anyone else's size and how they look pregnant which is not ok. Not now, not ever. It does not matter that they've made millions on being pregnant, no one has the right to discuss anyone else's body size. And I will call anyone out on it any chance I get. 

7 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I appreciate that you expressed that view point without being hand-slapping. So thanks. 

But I gotta disagree with you. There are times when we discuss the dangers of fundamentalism on this board, and that's valuable. But about 90% of the board is devoted to other things; recipes, non-Duggar TV discussions, endless discussions about what kind of wedding gown Jinger Duggar is going to wear, speculation about the Duggars' lives that has no grounding in actual fact. None of that accomplishes anything beyond just being mindless talk - and I'm not knocking that. I enjoy the mindless discussions as much as the substantive discussions. But the discussions about the dangers of fundamentalism only comprise of very small percentage of what this board discusses, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the sites true purpose is to discuss the dangers of fundamentalism. 

And like I said, I'm not knocking the board. I enjoy it for what it is - a site that's largely a snark site. But I'm not under any illusions here. There are endless threads devoted to discussing clothing Jinger and her attendants might wear to the wedding, then what they did wear - and those threads exists for every Duggar wedding. And if that's entertaining to people, then good for them. I'm not here to tell other people how to post. But I'm also not going to pretend like every aspect of this board has a deep purpose when some sections are deep and meaningful  (I've had some great political discussions on this site) and some sections are gossip/fluff. And 90% of the Duggar discussions are gossip/fluff. So, as long as the Duggar threads are 90% gossip/fluff, I'm going to continue contributing my gossip/fluff comments.

I understand that and I pretty much stated that as well. I personally don't enjoy those discussions - at least the ones that are strictly focused on a person's body or devoted to trying to diagnose someone via reality show and pictures (wedding dress discussions I have no issue with because it's really harmless fun. :)) But, like I said, they aren't banned speculation. And I don't think most of it should be formally banned when it comes to full fledged adults willingly choosing to live their lives in the very public eye (minors are a different matter entirely and I was happy to see rules updated to reflect that.) I think board culture is more than sufficient for deciding what is or isn't appropriate in cases like "Jill looks pregnant!" or "Jessa must have W disease because X, Y, and Z!"

That said, I do think people need to be prepared for getting called out by others who disagree. Because self-policing is a big part of the board culture here and it's pretty effective at keeping things on track.

(And I mentioned the actual purpose of the site because people confuse it very easily. It used to appear on the banner, but it doesn't anymore after the redesign. But, ultimately, the reason the site exists in the first place is to discuss the flaws of fundamentalism - the "fluffier" or "gossipy" discussions just grew out of that, but isn't the main purpose or why many people are initially drawn here.)

5 hours ago, sansan said:

:pb_lol: Can't help there - that's more thread drift, a much loved (or maligned, depends on the person) aspect of FJ. Just head back in and make a comment about the actual topic. Anyone reading who wants to talk about it will comment back and eventually the thread will move along again.

My little one had a bruise that took months to dissapear. Luckily, it only happened once. But it's absolutely normal that toddlers have bruises.

I think there needs to be a balance between the "serious" snark and the "gossipy" snark.  When they do/say something patriarchal, oppressive, or plain dumb, we will (and do) talk about it. But I also think it's perfectly ok to talk about the fact that Jill is wearing a baggy sack to Thanksgiving dinner.  

1 hour ago, RabbitKM said:

I think there needs to be a balance between the "serious" snark and the "gossipy" snark.  When they do/say something patriarchal, oppressive, or plain dumb, we will (and do) talk about it. But I also think it's perfectly ok to talk about the fact that Jill is wearing a baggy sack to Thanksgiving dinner.  

brilliant and so good - jill's hair is to long 

is that correct :D 

5 hours ago, anotherone said:

Really, every time we see Jill at all it's she's pregnant.  She's back in the US - she must be pg.  She is sitting down in all the pictures - she must be pg.  She bought new shoes her feet must be swollen - she must be pg.  (OK, she doesn't wear shoes, but still....)  It's that way with all of them.  It will be that way with Jinger and Joy once they have more pictures out there. 

Is this the fundy version of bitch eating crackers? Bitch looking  pregnant? LOL!

8 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Izzy and the eye boo-boo. My youngest kid had boo-boos pretty much continuously from about 10 months old until he was probably 5. He moved fast, climbed like a monkey and had NO fear. He has a couple of scars on his eyebrows from slamming into corners, broke his first bone at 3.5. True story...took him to get his cast off from his broken foot (he broke a bone in his foot wrestling with his brother) and stopped at the eyeglass place on the way home to get #1 kid's glasses adjusted. Doctor told 3yo to not run (yeah, right). 3yo ran anyway, was still unsteady on his feet (remember, the cast had come off about an hour before this) and crashed into one of the display cases. He ended up with a 1 inch slice in his eyebrow. So...off to the urgent care for stitches.

So...I can't say much about Izzy and his eye boo-boo. I had a fast moving, not terribly coordinated little hoodlum too.

This. I have three girls, one of which we called our monkey-girl. She could climb anything, find mischief, and wreck a room in the time it took me to take a leak. Also, (gross) she was a scab-picker. So she had this scab on her nose that took forever to heal because she always picked at it. She was a hot mess. Adorable, but such a handful. I'm betting Izzy is like that too.

5 hours ago, jacduggar said:

Speculate on fertility all day but leave her body out of it. It's NEVER ok to body shame ANYONE. Why is that hard to grasp? Justifying discussing Jill's size and how she looks pregnant justifies discussing anyone else's size and how they look pregnant which is not ok. Not now, not ever. It does not matter that they've made millions on being pregnant, no one has the right to discuss anyone else's body size. And I will call anyone out on it any chance I get. 

I don't know how much clearer I can be on this. I haven't broken a board rule. And you're not a moderator. So I will continue to post how/what I want. And if you don't like it, too bad for you. So continue to waste your time and energy writing your smug, self-righteous lectures if you want to. But it's not going to change the way I post. I have the right to discuss what I want to on this board as long as I haven't broken a board rule, and I haven't. 

So continue trying to pathetically play the posting police if you want to. And I will ignore you from this point on. 

I second everything @VelociRapture says.

@RoseWilder Self policing is a part of Free Jinger. There is also a long history of people disagreeing on topics and preceding to have epic fights/ discussions in thread. Sometimes people even learn new things and change their opinions! ::Gasp:: Bottom line anyone can and will call anyone else out on what they said. 

I prefer the Schrodinger’s Uterus approach. Right now the Duggers have 3 Schrodinger’s Uterus’s (Uteri?) (Anna, Jill and Jinger), 4 if you count Me-chelle. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived