IGNORED

Pickles and Hairspray

CorruptionInc.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
picles is retired by the way, s either shes invalid or shes quite old. and old peeps can be odd.

hi, you probably didn't know but inv*lid is considered a very offensive word for disabled people, just so you are aware.

sorry, in most european languages it isnt.

It's not here either. It just means someone disabled or weak. It's just a regular word here.

It's not here either. It just means someone disabled or weak. It's just a regular word here.

Actually to split hairs 'disabled people' is not politically correct either. Person with a disability would be appropriate. Like everything else with PC issues it's best to ask the person you are trying not to offend. Intent is far more important than some catch all term.

Agree though, I think people forget there is a large world out there other than just where they live.

I just can't with the asterisk thing. How the f*ck does that make a word less offensive :lol:

hi, you probably didn't know but inv*lid is considered a very offensive word for disabled people, just so you are aware.

No, disabled people is an offensive word for people with disabilities because you are putting the disability before the person. That is a core principle of People First language.

Invalid is antiquated but not offensive unless you just want to take offensive for the sake of being offended.

Disabled person here. I don't care how you call me as long as you are nice to me. :) How I call myself changes all the time. The only thing that annoys me like hell is being called "sick". Autism is not a flu or something like that.

She has pictures of Anna with that Rodreigues woman on her page, and when others were talking about the cage she makes her baby sleep in the closet, Pickles got weirdly defensive over the Rodreigues woman, now all the comments including the picture of the crib cage are gone. Why on Earth would anyone defend them? I'm only on art 4 of the R threads and I think that. lol

No, disabled people is an offensive word for people with disabilities because you are putting the disability before the person. That is a core principle of People First language.

Invalid is antiquated but not offensive unless you just want to take offensive for the sake of being offended.

I've never heard this before. I'm permanently disabled and I really only take offense to cripple or gimp. How else would you be expected to describe my physical ailments?

I've never heard this before. I'm permanently disabled and I really only take offense to cripple or gimp. How else would you be expected to describe my physical ailments?

Some take offence at being defined as their disability. As in disabled person versus person with a disability. You don't and when you make that clear it informs how others can or will address you.

PC terms are the stuff of nightmares.

Some other views.

These are all ways of describing the same sort of thing but from different eras really. Invalid could also apply to someone who was convalescing from a long illness.

the following applies to Britain and probably most other countries.

The only one that is genererally acceptable today is disabled. It is better to say 'a person with a disability' rather than a disabled person, as people with disabilities do not like, understandably, being defined by their disability rather than any thing else about them. people with disabilities got very 'political' about this a decade or so ago (well, longer than that but it took a while for society to take them seriously) and will be offended at being called 'handicapped'. Many people with disabilities do not consider themselves handicapped by their disability.

sorry for the PC lecture but it is always best to attempt to avoid offending anyone.

In North American it is not politically correct nor respectful to say handicapped, invalid or disabled anymore. We refer to people with physical challenges. The reason for this is that a person born with a 'disability' does not think of it as such: their's is a normal way of being, not abnormal for them. It is also not proper to say that someone is 'suffering' from a disability for the very same reason. An 'acquired disability' might be okay to say... just might be, however it is still better to say 'facing some physical challenges.'

ok - here goes. I was born with a birth defect and use crutches, braces and sometimes wheelchair. Plus I was born long before the Americans With Disabilities Act.

I started as a crippled Mexican-American, a crippled Chicano, a Handicapped Hispanic, a Physically Challenged Hispanic and I guess now I'm am a Disabled Latino.

"Handicapped" replaces the word "crippled". Disabled was intended to replace "handicapped". The idea was that "handicapped folks" wanted to make non-handicapped folks accept us better so the idea was to tell them that we are "disabled", much along the same way as when "you all break an arm or sprain an ankle....etc". You wouldn't think of using the term handicapped or crippled for yourself - so handicapped folks thought it would be better to be called "disabled". It would take away the stigma of "handicapped" or "crippled" being someone who was completely different or strange. Of course, this opened up the door for practically anyone being able to fall under the category of "disabled" and thus qualify for any benefits that were meant for "handicapped folks".

Awhile back I saw something that said we should go back to using crippled. Because there is no doubt what it means. It refers to someone who uses crutches, braces, wheelchair, or is blind or deaf or has something like Downs or Autism. This would separate us from the "wanna be". My father taught me "Some people come into this world crippled and others turn themselves into cripples".

Oh - as for Physically Challenge - dang - that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Think about it - Physically Challenged Hispanic - dang - sounds like a Cuban trying to climb Mount Everest!

So we all have to be slaves to political correctness! Well, excuse me, but I happen to be a person with several legal disabilities, and I much prefer the term "handicaps". To me it sounds much more neutral, as with a handicap in a golf game. When I hear the word "disability", it says to me dis - meaning not - plus able = not able. Like a "disabled" car abandoned by the roadside. Why would anyone choose that description, unless it's just a matter of conformity?

Actually I think it's great for people to have more freedom of expression, as in the "Free Speech" days of the '60's. It supposedly promotes brain cell growth!

This is why asking the person is probably wisest :lol:

I've said this before on FJ, I think. As a disabled person, I kind of hate the whole "person first" movement, because IMO it doesn't really DO anything. I don't give a fuck if you call me a disabled person or a person with a disability or a martian. What MATTERS is how you treat me. None of that changes just because you call me a person with a disability rather than a disabled person.

Some people still don't see people who are different from them as whole people deserving of respect. It does not matter what you "force" them to call us to be politically correct. They are still going to treat us like second class citizens.

Also, what someone calls me doesn't define me nor should we tell our children who may have differences or challenges that what people say about them defines them.

I find it amusing that we aren't supposed to use the word handicapped anymore, but parking spaces are still called handicapped parking spots (at least every place I have ever lived) and the placard/license plates are also called handicapped parking placard.

I've never heard of invalid being offensive, but I can't really think of the last time I've heard it used in conversation, either.

{snip}

I find it amusing that we aren't supposed to use the word handicapped anymore, but parking spaces are still called handicapped parking spots (at least every place I have ever lived) and the placard/license plates are also called handicapped parking placard.

I've never heard of invalid being offensive, but I can't really think of the last time I've heard it used in conversation, either.

as a differently abled person, this was the first thought that entered my mind

(Granted, those placards are issued by the government and we all know how quick they are to adopt non offencive language.)

I've said this before on FJ, I think. As a disabled person, I kind of hate the whole "person first" movement, because IMO it doesn't really DO anything. I don't give a fuck if you call me a disabled person or a person with a disability or a martian. What MATTERS is how you treat me. None of that changes just because you call me a person with a disability rather than a disabled person.

Some people still don't see people who are different from them as whole people deserving of respect. It does not matter what you "force" them to call us to be politically correct. They are still going to treat us like second class citizens.

Also, what someone calls me doesn't define me nor should we tell our children who may have differences or challenges that what people say about them defines them.

You learn a new thing everyday! I did not even know there was a 'person first movement.'

I do know no matter how hard you try at times somebody will be pissed off and there is always somebody more obsessed with the correct terms than they probably are the individuals they are being politically correct about.

I think intent and a willingness to say or ask for clarification is better than trying to learn every political term that pops up ...... It's nigh impossible .

heres a big can of worms. i didnt realise it was a movement. i have heard about saying people with autism vs autistics but dint see it was exrending to other area.

picles is retired by the way, s either shes invalid or shes quite old. and old peeps can be odd.

I'm not wild about "invalid" because I think most people like to be considered "valid." I surely do, but then I'm one of them retired, quite old peeps, so maybe I'm just odd. But then I was pretty odd when I was five, too.

I 'spect Pickles has been on the far side for most of her life.

ETA: morri, don't worry about "stepping in it"--this is a culture which calls *nothing* by its true name--starting with bathroom and restroom. Even "toilet" is a French name for Crapper. Morticians morphed a number of times to the current "funeral home director." People don't die, they pass away.

as a differently abled person, this was the first thought that entered my mind

(Granted, those placards are issued by the government and we all know how quick they are to adopt non offencive language.)

Differently abled is how Dd refers to herself. I just asked her if invalid was offensive to her and she said no, not at all.

Also? That pickles page is downright strange. I poked around there for a while last night. Just....odd.

I got corrected for saying hearing impaired once on a blog. You now say just deaf or hard of hearing. Deaf people dont like to think of it as an impairment."Dumb' used to be a term for 'can't speak'. What s PC changes all the time. I read some think saying' honey' is a form of sexual harassment.

I like your posts, Curious, and it's more than our shared attitude about Kate Gosselin!

I have a number of issues going on in addition to old lady stuff. I've decided I like the term "shut-in". Itmakes it seem like someone should be bringing me meals in bed. I can dream!! :wink-penguin:

I got corrected for saying hearing impaired once on a blog. You now say just deaf or hard of hearing. Deaf people dont like to think of it as an impairment."Dumb' used to be a term for 'can't speak'. What s PC changes all the time. I read some think saying' honey' is a form of sexual harassment.

I refer to myself as hearing impaired. I am!

well if you call some passing woman on the road honey(a term of endearment) you may catch an annoyed look, no one is allowed to endear me without knowing me. :lol:

I find it really weird that Pickles was defending Jill Rodrigues. Why would she do that?

I do too, and she scrubbed all the posts showing the baby cage. Makes no sense. They're equally as snark worthy. Jill must be her "source" lol

Yeah I noticed she seemed oddly defensive about Jill R as well. It made me wonder if she has some connection with her. Like maybe they are distant cousins or something.

She definitely was coming to her defense and deflecting comments away from her.

Yeah I noticed she seemed oddly defensive about Jill R as well. It made me wonder if she has some connection with her. Like maybe they are distant cousins or something.

She definitely was coming to her defense and deflecting comments away from her.

Yeah, I'm wondering if she is somehow connected to her, too. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who Pickles would like but apparently Pickes does like her. So strange.

EDIT: Just to reword my second to last sentence a bit.

Thanks for your contribution, Curious!

I'm realizing more and more as I've gotten invested in my language choices that the preference is really so specifically to age group (and region). You would think this would have been obvious, but apparently not. For example, my age group (20s) of disabled people (myself included) is very particular about our language and does not like person first language. We (i'm using we generally here, not to say that every single person in my age group believes this) generally feel like using person first language holds the disability/ies at arms length and that our disability/ities are important identifiers and not just "with" us- we can't be separated from them, if that makes sense. This holds especially true for a lot of autistic people and otherwise neurodivergent people.

However, I was in another city on the opposite side of the country listening to a disability activist speak that I hold in very high regard (i think she was in her 40s), and she was very adamant that people should use person first language. I am attributing this more towards age difference than region, though region may be a contributing factor and I'm sure it contributes to this discussion in many cases.

I assumed that inv*lid was considered enough of an inappropriate word in most places that it made sense for me to say something, but that may not be the case after all.

(and for whomever made the comment about the asterisks, i'm going to continue using them when I use words I determine to be slurs that are offensive to a group of people- if it wouldn't come out of my mouth I use an asterisk. i'm not sure how this inconvenienced you. Other people can make their own decisions especially disabled people w/r/t reclaiming words)

Addition: the point here is that even though both groups have different ideas of language (which are all valid and formed by strong feelings), the idea behind the language is that that disabled people (or people with disabilities if that's what is preferred in your neck of the woods) should be treated equally. Language is only one step of the equation (it is a step though that shouldn't be written off). You can get all the language right and still treat people like crap, or you can get it wrong and treat people great.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived