IGNORED

Pickles and Hairspray

CorruptionInc.

What kind of gun, and which state?

I am in Illinois and its not simple at all. First, you have to get a Firearms Owner ID card, which is $10, an online application, and a background check by state police. Mine took a month from application to getting card in mail. Some people get them back in a week or two. The card is good for 10 years.

Then, when you buy a gun, you have to show the card BEFORE you can handle a gun. Once you decide on a gun, you pay for it but it is held while the State police do ANOTHER check to make sure you can have the gun. Last time my husband bought a rifle, it was a 3 day hold until he could get it. After you are cleared, you can pick up your gun from the store you bought it at.

This is for those who go through legal channels to own guns.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With this whole Dillon soon to be duggar disscusion, i would like to ask how easy is to actually buy a gun in your states. Pure curiosity from europe

Not very difficult in Ohio. For pretty much anything you need to pass the NICS background check and you walk with it. Occasionally they will put it on hold if they need to do further checking on you, but I know nobody personally who had to wait.

I only bought my biathlon rifle, and I bought that from a guy at the range. I'm 90% sure that buying a gun in my state consists of only whatever is required by the Federal government.

The license that is required to look at guns in Illinois seems insane to me.

With this whole Dillon soon to be duggar disscusion, i would like to ask how easy is to actually buy a gun in your states. Pure curiosity from europe

You have to be 18. You can't be a felon. You have to pass a background check. There may be a 7-day waiting period but I don't remember.

In Ohio, very easy. You can go to a gun show and get a gun with no background check. Some places do have a background check, but not all. My dad has quite an arsenal. You can buy guns from private owners who don't want them anymore. Craigslist, newspaper want ads, etc. I think it's harder to buy a BB gun from Walmart than it is to be a 357 magnum any other way. :-/

My dad blamed me once that he couldn't get approved for a background check. I had been interviewed about a crime my boyfriend at the time had committed (his dumb ass and his dumb ass friends set up a robbery with another dumbass they knew at a convenient store 3rd dumbass worked at.) I was never charged with any crime as I was not involved and had informed them all they were dumbasses. Anyway, a few months/year after, he couldn't get approved, so it was my fault. (My dad is an ass.) You know, it couldn't have been due to the fact that he was employed by a mental health hospital who didn't want guns anywhere near their patients....

No licenses or training required here. You have to be over the age of 18, or your parents have to buy it for you. You (or purchasing adult) have to have a clean background. There is a 48 hour waiting period for handguns, but none for long guns, which I believe includes assault rifles. You can use them pretty much wherever there aren't people outside the city limits, and at a range within. If driving with them, short guns have to be out of the reach of the driver (i.e., trunk. Console and glove compartment don't count.) but long guns can be in the back seat; both must be secured in a case with chamber empty/magazine out. Fine to transfer over state lines in the South.

Wait wait wait. You have to be over 18? You can't get alcohol but you can get a gun? With an online application? Is it that fucking easy? Oh my... :pink-shock:

You know, I really hadn't thought about it, but that does make it seem crazier. It's definitely very easy, though. You don't even have to apply here. You just give the gun store your driver's license and if you come back clean, they just hand it on over.

Pickles is overreacting to Dillon ' s owning guns. They're not "death toys". I'm not trying to start a gun debate but many of my family have them for hunting. And before we get into the hunting debate, they eat what they kill. And the animals they hunt have happier lives and easier deaths than chickens and cows raised for public consumption. The surviving wildlife are left with more resources instead of ultimately starving from overpopulation.

I suppose we don't know the Douche Pickle is a hunter, if he is then I understand. But on the face of things, he's a twice arrested man with DWIs, hasn't learned his lesson, and has a bad temper. So basically someone I can't see wanting to get married to.

Wait wait wait. You have to be over 18? You can't get alcohol but you can get a gun? With an online application? Is it that fucking easy? Oh my... :pink-shock:

Well, in some states you can start driving when you are 14, drive alone when you are 16, smoke and buy a gun when you are 18 (but you can also have guns when you are younger), and buy marijuana and alcohol when you are 21. Oh, and you can vote when you are 18, but you have to pay taxes when you start working. And you can get a job when you are 14 (or younger if you work in a family business.)

Personally, I'd like to do away with all age based restrictions and instead have more comprehensive testing. You want to smoke pot? Okay, but you need to pass this maturity assessment. You want to buy and drive a car? Sure, but first we need you to pass a much more comprehensive drivers education course, and a personality assessment. If you test positive for traits like "road rage" or "likely to be distracted," more education. Guns? Personally, I don't know people who are irresponsible with guns, but I guess more education before you can buy one is ok. And stop letting 15 year olds pay taxes. It's not right. If they can't vote, they shouldn't have to pay.

At 18, one can join the armed forces. Old enough to carry a gun, old enough to own one for yourself.

At 18, one can join the armed forces. Old enough to carry a gun, old enough to own one for yourself.

But not old enough to have beer. Old enough to die for your country, but too young to have a shot of jack. Or legally buy marijuana in Colorado or Alaska. (Not sure what the laws are in Washington.)

A popular argument for lowering the drinking age is that when you turn 18 you are old enough to die for your country but still can't drink a beer.

A popular argument for lowering the drinking age is that when you turn 18 you are old enough to die for your country but still can't drink a beer.

In fort hood in TX you can drink on the base if you are enlisted and 18.

But not old enough to have beer. Old enough to die for your country, but too young to have a shot of jack. Or legally buy marijuana in Colorado or Alaska. (Not sure what the laws are in Washington.)

Gotta be 21 in Washington as well.

This. And not only that, but at 18 you can also sit on a jury that potentially could determine whether someone should be put to death. Crazy.

I agree the drinking age should be lowered to 18!

Many people are drinking way before then anyway :lol:

I didn't know that about Fort Hood. Is that the case for all bases?

Carrying a gun as trained armed services is not comparable to any 18 year old Tom, Dick or Harry walking in and buying a gun.

Carrying a gun as trained armed services is not comparable to any 18 year old Tom, Dick or Harry walking in and buying a gun.

Granted. But most people take a gun safety class. It's required for hunters in any case. And as for my family, they were shooting since they could walk. And we're serious about gun safety.

Many people are drinking way before then anyway [emoji38]

I didn't know that about Fort Hood. Is that the case for all bases?

This used to be the case at my husband's navy base in Washington, but no longer is. However, the bar on base is iffy about carding, and if a chief or something catches you, they're just likely to ask if you know the number of the duty driver, not call your command. The stores on base card very diligently for alcohol, though.

I used to be fine with Pickles but her popularity has gotten weirdly annoying... anytime I comment on something there anymore I have three to five replies basically chastising me for not being harsh enough. And I'm not even remotely apologetic for the Duggars, so it surprises me every time. :? It's like if you aren't just blindly echoing what Pickles herself has just said, they take it as a criticism or something.

Hi, my name is Sabrina and I a part time lurker for a year or so. (That was meant to sound more like the opening of an AA meeting). ;)

Honestly, recently (actually a little longer) I became really disgusted with the pickles and whatever page. I started searching and found this wonderful thread. Sometimes you just have to snark on snark.

I agree with what others have posted. She is a narcissist and I am assuming a little crazy. You are NOT allowed to disagree with her.

I’m trying to catch up on the threads, but can someone tell me if Pickles, Digger and the Diana woman are one in the same.

Thanks and happy to be here!

Hi, my name is Sabrina and I a part time lurker for a year or so. (That was meant to sound more like the opening of an AA meeting). ;)

Honestly, recently (actually a little longer) I became really disgusted with the pickles and whatever page. I started searching and found this wonderful thread. Sometimes you just have to snark on snark.

I agree with what others have posted. She is a narcissist and I am assuming a little crazy. You are NOT allowed to disagree with her.

I’m trying to catch up on the threads, but can someone tell me if Pickles, Digger and the Diana woman are one in the same.

Pickles and Digger, yes; Diane Stadtherr, no. Diane was a different kind of...special than Pickles.

There seems to be more dissent than usual on Pickles' most recent photo offering of pregnant Jessa, many calling her out on body shaming a pregnant woman.

Maybe she just hasn't got around to deleting the dissenters yet...

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived