IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Love and Marriage

samurai_sarah

The last thing I have to say about the wedding was Jeremy's gift to his groomsmen was ADORABLE!!

I snickered that Jeremy wants to be the fire breathing Dragon. hahaha.. come of think of it if Jeremy were a dragon of any sort I'd probably assign him either a Monstrous Nightmare or a Gronkle.. No way he is clever enough to be a Nightfury. :pb_lol:

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On November 16, 2016 at 1:25 AM, marmalade said:

Josie is on Jana's buddy team. Hannie is Jinger's last buddy. Jubilee was going to be hers. Having Josie featured at the expense of Jenni and Jordyn makes no sense at all. 

Ok, one thing we didn't take into account - maybe Josie is the only one young enough to still be a flower girl.

I mean, Hannie is already a bridesmaid.

On 11/16/2016 at 7:48 PM, naatashamaru said:

hey ummm where can i see the full episode of this wedding online...cuz i can't find it and it doesn't seem to be coming back on tlc anytime soon...

also that talk about your nutrients during pregnancy totally creeped me out 

I saw a bunch of this seasons full episodes up on TLC.com. Although if you are outside the US they may not work, that happens frequently and I didn't check even though I'm in Canada. But if you are in the States you're probably good to go for sure!

On 11/16/2016 at 8:54 PM, Carm_88 said:

Make him fly! Mommy! And then Michelle in her baby voice "Yes sweet Josie we'll make him fly." 

Just popping in to note how much I miss GoT right now and how much I appreciated this particular bit of banter. FJ always delivers! 

2 hours ago, trustworthy said:

I noticed this too.  In fact, even the women and sisters all seem to side hug which is so weird.  No one is able to do a platonic, affectionate bear hug with anyone.  I was hugging my guy friends from the time I was in kindergarten I think and no one thought anything of it, and of course I hug my mom and sister with a normal front hug.  Boob never hugs his daughters with anything but a side hug which normally would be weird, but in their case, it must be a relief.

Can you imagine how horrible it would be to never be properly hugged? Like what if you were upset about something and you don't receive a proper comforting hug? Though I guess the Duggars aren't allowed to have negative emotions, so it doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I haven't watched the episode, but I did go looking.

This might be the version they used:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Page_CXVI:Come_Thou_Fount

http://pagecxvi.com/media/charts/PageCXVI_Hymns_ChordCharts.pdf

That's it! That's it! You nailed it! My two days of trying to figure out this song are over. :-)

Thank you so much!  Most beautiful song I've ever heard at a wedding.

So I'm late to the party but this wedding was really well done from what I can see. Especially when Jinger gave JB the gift and he started tearing up. Despite his assholiness, you can actually see the love the has for his daughter. He looked overwhelmed. Mullet looked checked out (especially since I was watching this on youtube and everyone had a chipmunk voice. Sounded like she was on drugs). 

I almost forgot this was a fundie wedding until Chuck Vuolo told Jinger to be a "helper" to Jeremy in marriage. Then I remembered that Jinger and the other girls are still live under an overtly-patriarchal culture. I hope Jeremy treats Jinger well, anything more than that is unlikely. *sigh* 

That train though. 

43 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

So I'm late to the party but this wedding was really well done from what I can see. Especially when Jinger gave JB the gift and he started tearing up. Despite his assholiness, you can actually see the love the has for his daughter. He looked overwhelmed. Mullet looked checked out (especially since I was watching this on youtube and everyone had a chipmunk voice. Sounded like she was on drugs). 

I almost forgot this was a fundie wedding until Chuck Vuolo told Jinger to be a "helper" to Jeremy in marriage. Then I remembered that Jinger and the other girls are still live under an overtly-patriarchal culture. I hope Jeremy treats Jinger well, anything more than that is unlikely. *sigh* 

That train though. 

I'm guessing because Sierra didn't plan it and Jinger/Jeremy might actually have design taste. 

Agreed. However, I find it much more enraging that many "mainstream" people still do this and think nothing of it. I mean, for fundies this is just par for the course. But it's still fairly common among non-fundies too. I don't understand how you can possibly not see how demeaning this is for women. "Tradition," my ass!

We occasionally get cards from older relatives addressed to Mr and Mrs Initial Surname. I refuse to open them because it ain't my initial and it ain't my surname, and it's illegal to open mail that's not addressed to you. Yes, I'm petty. Yes, I've tried talking to people. No, they don't listen.

When I got married, I kept my maiden name.  Half the people were like, "You go girl, keep that independence!"  The other half were like, "Huh??", and I had exactly two people tell me I should legally get it changed asap, so as not to keep "confusing people" (said by like 70 year old men).

I never changed it because after my Dad passes away, that's the end of his family name (all his siblings are half siblings with different names, and the girls of the same father, married and went with their husband's names).  My brothers obviously have our name, but with their special needs, I don't think they'll end up having children of their own.  So our sons actually have my last name, with my husband's last name as a middle.  Most people are cool with it.  My hubby's family didn't mind either, but that's probably because there's like four male cousins who can carry on the name as well :)

On 11/16/2016 at 9:14 PM, SilverBeach said:

Beautiful wedding, audience full of hateful Trump supporters. Lipstick on a pig, once again.

I watched most of the wedding episode and thought the ceremony was, generally speaking, well done.  I liked Jeremy's dad, JB seemed a bit toned down from his usual effusive self, and Jinger looked happy and gorgeous.  The unity candle thing should have been planned out better but stuff happens and not a big deal.  The audience?  No doubt they'd be more than happy to tell me what to believe and take some of my rights away.

I get a very creepy vibe about the marriage.  To each their own, I'm just a TV-watching stranger on the Internet, but Jeremy strikes me as very controlling and Jinger equally submissive.  This may work fine for them but something feels off about it to me.  I don't think I'd want to be around him if he was in a bad mood or happened to lose his temper.  I'm hoping that some of their displayed behavior was driven by TLC and isn't the real substance of their relationship.  I guess time will tell.

19 hours ago, nausicaa said:

As a feminist but also an etiquette snob, I'm torn on this one. Technically "Mrs. Mary Smith" is either a widow or a divorcee, so referring to a married woman that way could confuse some people, and also potentially offend an older woman used to the traditional etiquette of being referred to as "Mrs. John Smith" in formal address. [snip]

What?? I didn't know that! Over here, the etiquette used to be calling a married woman Mrs Lastname, or Mrs Firstname Lastname (i.e. Mary Smith). This would not change in case of death of husband or divorce, IIRC. Before the 1900s neither women nor men changed their last names when they married. 

Nowadays we don't use titles at all here in Scandinavia. People regardless of gender or matrial status are refered to as Firstname Lastname in professional settings. Often only Firstname the rest of the time. Only the president and prime minister get to be Mrs or Mr ;) 

16 hours ago, trustworthy said:

I noticed this too.  In fact, even the women and sisters all seem to side hug which is so weird.  No one is able to do a platonic, affectionate bear hug with anyone.  I was hugging my guy friends from the time I was in kindergarten I think and no one thought anything of it, and of course I hug my mom and sister with a normal front hug.  Boob never hugs his daughters with anything but a side hug which normally would be weird, but in their case, it must be a relief.

The side hugs always look like something they do because they don't actually want to hug at all and they're just being polite or doing what's required/expected of them, but that's just me.

16 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

b6eca9df-1eb4-4e9a-ba6f-d681f896f774.jpg

Was this photo and caption part of the gift, or just fanhumper artwork? I ask because "Vuolo" is spelled wrong...

Agreed. However, I find it much more enraging that many "mainstream" people still do this and think nothing of it. I mean, for fundies this is just par for the course. But it's still fairly common among non-fundies too. I don't understand how you can possibly not see how demeaning this is for women. "Tradition," my ass!

I hate to say it but i really want to take a husband's name. I see the issues but I want it. However, my last name is awesome and the man I'll probably marry has just the most boring last name ever. So I might not take it just for that reason.

I don't mind a woman taking her husband's name.  Nor do I mind her keeping her name OR her husband taking her name.  I think it's cool when BOTH parties take each other's names (by hyphenating them), but that is really only practical for shorter surnames, so....not mine.  

As a genealogy nerd, AND as one who has had to deal with naming changes/discrepancies from Indian Registration Rolls/Immigration docs, I dislike when the couple makes up a surname.  I get that it is trendy and cool now, but if your descendants ever need your documents for something or need to trace your family tree, you just made their lives a whole lot harder.  It is a headache and a half to show that someone called XY is the same person who shows up in other places called QZ.  Plus, it's a semi-permanent decision that is in style now but may make you look foolish later.  

But, that's their life.  If they feel that is what they want to do, fine by me.  I view trends in life the way I view trends in decor: incorporate them in easily changeable aspects, and leave them OUT of anything permanent. 

I do, however, always find some hypocrisy when someone tries to control or shame a woman for her choices on the basis of "feminism".  Empowerment is not swapping one gendered prescription for another.  

Maybe I'm weird, but I love being Mrs. Mister Puddleduck. And I do like etiquette rules, so there's that that too. 

O was pleasantly surprised by their wedding. I get the feeling that they're very much in love; their feelings were much more palpable than the other couples at any rate. And they seemed very comfortable with each other, I thought it was adorable when she wiped lipstick off of his teeth lol. 

21 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

As a genealogy nerd, AND as one who has had to deal with naming changes/discrepancies from Indian Registration Rolls/Immigration docs, I dislike when the couple makes up a surname.  

Stunning that this is possible in the US, making up a new name. When my mother got married she had to take my fathers last name. A few years later the law changed and now it is possible to keep the name or make it a double name. I kinda want my mothers maiden name because it sounds more local. My normal last name sounds just like a typical German one. And I always have to add "with h" so that people write it correctly. There are several ways to spell it. (Well, my Mum's maiden name would be difficult for northern Germans I guess because we pronounce some letters different down her.)

No snark on the wedding. It was beautiful and much more classy/toned down than the rest of the Duggar weddings. Jinger's dress was stunning.

The last name thing, I have my husband's last name. When I got married I changed my middle name to my maiden name, and professionally I still go by. I don't really know why since I got in my field 10 years after I was married but it's just the way things went for me. Fun side note: both my daughters have my maiden name as their middles names. I lack naming creativity and middle names are pretty useless so in my sleep deprived, post labor stupor they got the same one. All three of my boys share a middle name too *shrug*

On 11/17/2016 at 1:10 PM, Queen said:

I'm tempted do the opposite of what these patriarchy-lovers do. Hence, from now on Jinger and Jeremy are Mrs and Mr Jinger Duggar. 

And Boob is of course Mr Michelle Hermaidenname! :D 

I have a friend who is married and has a doctorate, and we like to call them Dr. and Mr. Smith because in the tradition it would have been Dr. and Mrs. Smith, since obviously the husband would be the doctor.

9 minutes ago, kmary1 said:

I have a friend who is married and has a doctorate, and we like to call them Dr. and Mr. Smith because in the tradition it would have been Dr. and Mrs. Smith, since obviously the husband would be the doctor.

I am working on my Masters right now and the ONLY reason I would want to go on to PhD is for that very reason. :my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Was this photo and caption part of the gift, or just fanhumper artwork? I ask because "Vuolo" is spelled wrong...

Probably Jinger told someone what she wanted and someone else made the notes for her, spelling the name wrong.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived