IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Love and Marriage

samurai_sarah

18 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I am THAT girl who genuflected when I went to a Lutheran church with my friend, and I always cross myself when the Trinity is invoked, no matter where  I am. I'm SO obvious.

Lutherans used to do that all the time, too...some still did at my old church...

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, danni9242 said:

But don't you know as he (pretended he) repented all is hunky dory again?

Whatever.  Forgive if that is your bag.  But the idea of forgiveness for them, seems, to me, that if one is forgiven they don't need to deal with the consequences (AKA: Satan's attacks).  That is utter BS.  I know a couple people forgave my molester, but they also cut ties with him because he's a pig and they were concerned with the safety of their loved ones.  They didn't hang around because god forgave him. Repenting doesn't negate the harm already inflicted.

Sorry.  I should back off.  This is triggering.  

Maybe we will see more of Jeremy's siblings in the planning of the wedding episodes in January?
I am a non practicing Catholic . My church had an "altar" and not a "stage" as it is referred to by the Duggars. Is stage the common word for what I would regard as an altar in Baptist churches? Just asking.

I work in a church similar to what I think a lot of these types attend. We call it a stage. (Although we do have altar call, near the stage...)

I think most contemporary churches are going the "stage" route.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Agreed. However, I find it much more enraging that many "mainstream" people still do this and think nothing of it. I mean, for fundies this is just par for the course. But it's still fairly common among non-fundies too. I don't understand how you can possibly not see how demeaning this is for women. "Tradition," my ass!

As a feminist but also an etiquette snob, I'm torn on this one. Technically "Mrs. Mary Smith" is either a widow or a divorcee, so referring to a married woman that way could confuse some people, and also potentially offend an older woman used to the traditional etiquette of being referred to as "Mrs. John Smith" in formal address. I know I have an aunt who was offended if she were referred to in the first style before she became widowed.

I don't know what I would do if I were sending out formal wedding invitations. It looks like my elopement desires have allowed me to dodge yet another bullet. ;)

Ha, please if I were to ever get married Hiccup is taking my name and becoming Mr. Hiccup Hofferson. lmao

Also Jinjer's wedding was the best one yet. Man when you don't use Sierra you have one hel of a nice wedding. Woodland theme was fantastic. 

Just watching the wedding now. 

Some thoughts; 

1) did anyone else catch Jeremy mouthing 'you look beautiful' to Jinger when they were standing with boob. I thought that was very sweet

2) Mr Vuolo's preaching style was nice and he seems quite a personable man. I like that he made jokes and talked about the importance of friendship and the importance of a husband listening to his wife

3) Jeremy's parents seem to have a genuine love and affection towards eachother. I can only hope Jeremy emulates that with Jinger 

however, that wedding was a whole load of fundie that the world does not need

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

It's a small Fundie world.  The Maxwell's chore chart was front and central product placement on the show.  The Duggars mentioned Managers of the Home in 20 and Counting.  JB wrote a foreword to Buying a House Debt-free.  Steve thinks Duggar is Godly even though he allows his family to be shown on The Beast.

They sold their products through IBLP/ATI.  Steve seems to have marketed to most Fundie groups.  They belong to the Church of Stevehovah though.  We believe that Steve thinks IBLP doesn't shelter children enough.  

I very much doubt it.  Far too much like FUN.  And competition.  The Maxwells have (or used to have) their own conferences.

Not to my knowledge.

We do have a whole Maxwell subforum, you know. :)

Thank you. Sorry for being a needy, lazy member. I can not get hooked into another crazy family. It's all too depressing and such a time suck.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I guess since I grew up Catholic, I always treated any church the same as I treated my home church. Basically, the Eucharist in a Catholic church is left in the tabernacle. If the Presence Light is on, you genuflect to the Presence of God, and behave as if you are at Mass or other services: respectfully, quietly, reverently.

So no running up the aisle, yelling, or playing in a Catholic church, ever, and no hat wearing by males. Yarmulkes are ok.

I am THAT girl who genuflected when I went to a Lutheran church with my friend, and I always cross myself when the Trinity is invoked, no matter where  I am. I'm SO obvious.

Anyway, it's interesting to me that it's a building any time church isn't in session in other places.

Former RC who now attends a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. At the end of the service last week our minister gave a nice departing message and I said aloud, "and also with you." He knows I used to be a Catholic and we accept everyone so it wasn't too embarrassing. LOL!

The running and no shoes just floored me too.

1 hour ago, VooDooChild said:
1 hour ago, VooDooChild said:

Whatever.  Forgive if that is your bag.  But the idea of forgiveness for them, seems, to me, that if one is forgiven they don't need to deal with the consequences (AKA: Satan's attacks).  That is utter BS.  I know a couple people forgave my molester, but they also cut ties with him because he's a pig and they were concerned with the safety of their loved ones.  They didn't hang around because god forgave him. Repenting doesn't negate the harm already inflicted.

Sorry.  I should back off.  This is triggering.  

Sorry this is triggering you. I was trying to be sarcastic and I in no way believe that a. Josh is genuinely sorry and repentant b. he will ever actually be made to c It is acceptable, even if he were truly repentant, to brush the whole thing aside like they did.

On 11/15/2016 at 6:51 PM, eleanora3 said:

I don't get why it's modest to sew skin-colored material underneath lace. People will still think they're looking at your skin so it's not going to stop any impure thoughts (not that I think lace even stirs up impure thoughts to begin with)

I agree, that's the whole reason we weren't allowed to wear skin-colored material in our prom dresses five years ago. As the 'illusion' of skin showing was just as bad as the skin showing itself. 

19 minutes ago, danni9242 said:

It's okay.  I understand you were being sarcastic.  The situation just miffs me and the more I typed the angrier I got.  I think it's the fact that there was no legal justice for me or the Duggar girls that pisses me off so much.  Community service doesn't count.  

Anyway, it's nothing that a little Kraft mac-n-cheese and a glass of wine can't handle.  I hope I didn't make you feel bad.  

Just watched J & J's wedding.  I thought it was incredibly sweet and I loved the interaction between them.  I loved the way Mr. Vuolo simply asked Jeremy to love her no matter what, but asked Jinger to counsel him from her own intuition and wisdom.  Suprisingly non-Fundie and respectful of her.  Do you think they cut out part of his words?  They both looked so happy and I loved the way he was whispering to her.  Go Jing!

Also, Jeremy's mother is incredibly stylish for this crowd ... her dress was a knockout.

Awww.  Jeremy actually showing emotion was so sweet. It made me tear up to see it! I can't believe she found a guy who tries so hard and actually shows he cares, the world watching and all!! I really hope that stays! 

On the name thing....I went to a meeting at the school that 3 of our kids (2 of mine, one of his), go to this morning. They know we got married over the summer, but rather than say "Mrs.His-last-name is here..." , she said "Mrs. My-last-name is here for your meeting."  each time she called someone to come down. She's said "Ms. My-last-name" since my oldest has been there and just changed it to Mrs. rather than say "Child's mom" if she thought saying his last name would confuse them or whatever.   It made me chuckle! :-D

FTR- I still haven't changed my name but I've never mentioned that, and he put me down as Mrs.His-Last-Name on paperwork (including the ER one night when we'd been married 2 days lol) so I don't know?!

5 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

Here's the glimpse we get of the pianist - I was pretty sure that was her, no?

erinbates.png

Hmmm...doesn't look like Erin to me.  Perhaps some others will chime in.

Also, I can't recall...does Erin even sing?  Or does she just play?  (I know she's made some CDs but am not sure if they are instrumental only or whether they contain vocals, too).  The person who played the song ("Hallelujah we sing?" I'd really like to find out the name of this song) during J&J's attempt to light the unity candle was definitely singing and playing the piano at the same time.

http://www.kencollins.com/glossary/architecture.htm

yall got my brain working with discussions of Boob's terminology for areas within a church. 

The link above appears to call the raised area on which the altar sits, "the sanctuary."  The altar in Lutheran and Catholic Churches is the table on which the elrments of the Eucharist (the bread and wine) are set during the distribution (in RC church)  and throughout the communion service in Lutheran worship. 

The raised area where the altar, pulpit and lectern stand is the chancel. 

The area a few steps lower where the pews & worshipers are, is the nave. 

I confess: I look at Boob with contempt, that he has all his father-idolizing passages memorized but never thought to ascertain the proper names of places within a traditional church. 

But then I am contemptuous of him generally. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting that Stevhovah took a seat right in the center aisle where he'd most certainly be photographed.  I thought he disdained churches, with all their idols. He and The Rodruigii certainly placed themselves cannily within camera range.  

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, MoonFace said:

Is it lustful for a dad to front hug a daughter?    At what point did Jimboob stop hugging his little girls like a normal daddy and turn that in to a sexual experience? 

I noticed this too.  In fact, even the women and sisters all seem to side hug which is so weird.  No one is able to do a platonic, affectionate bear hug with anyone.  I was hugging my guy friends from the time I was in kindergarten I think and no one thought anything of it, and of course I hug my mom and sister with a normal front hug.  Boob never hugs his daughters with anything but a side hug which normally would be weird, but in their case, it must be a relief.

Spotted some (new to me at least) pics, courtesy of tumblr.

The "rollo" one is what I guess got included in the bridesmaids gift jars (which I did notice had Rollo's in it).  Don't know if she, or someone else, came up with the rhyme.  But I have to admit, it's adorkable and I like it.

Also, no big shocker, they're filming their honeymoon (if you zoom in on the pic though, you'll notice jinger's wearing a shorter skirt/dress . . . I see knees!  Though to be fair, they are in tights, and the hem might fall several inches shorter when she's standing).

0a7088a5-55c6-4c8f-b99c-756c9418c217.jpg

b6eca9df-1eb4-4e9a-ba6f-d681f896f774.jpg

7 hours ago, Dept. of Redundancy Dept. said:

Speaking of the music, does anyone know the name of the song which was being performed while Jinger & Jeremy were [trying] to light their unity candle?  The very end of it had the words "Hallelujah we sing, Hallelujah we sing, Hallelujah we sing."  But I tried looking up the names given above (Keith & Kristen Getty, Stuart Townsend) and couldn't find anything that seemed to fit.

My mom thinks that it was "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing".

24 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

My mom thinks that it was "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing".

Thanks!  I was wondering that, too.  But of all the versions of "Come Thou Fount" I've listened to so far online, none of them end with "Hallelujah we sing, Hallelujah we sing, Hallelujah we sing," as the version at J&J's wedding did.  It has me perplexed.  It might just be a different version, but I wish I could find an online example to be sure.

(I really wish I hadn't deleted the show from my DVR already!)

Thanks again.

I am sure they cut out all of the more distasteful (to mainstream viewers) parts of the wedding. For example, there was no prayer during the whole ceremony, otherwise. Now, I'm not a churchgoer, but I am confident that praying for the couple is usually part of a Christian wedding, no? If that is missing, I'm sure all the other stuff is too. Mr Vuolo started out with something about the 'covenant relationship' of marriage, so I'm sure there was some covenant marriage shit in there, and all the other fundie stuff, just edited out by TLC. 

On 16 November 2016 at 6:41 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

^I didn't think of it that way, but it makes me feel a bit sad for Jenni. Jill had them all, Jessa only had Jordyn, and now Jinger had Johannah (I can never use the name Hannie) and Josie. So really, Jennifer hasn't gotten a chance to feel "special" yet.

I guess Joy will have to use her. 

Just wandering if Jennie chose not to be part of the wedding. She has been a flower girl before (at Jills wedding?)

Jennie has always seemed more lost than the other lost girls. If only one of the Duggerlings defects completely it may be Jennie.  

I hope that Grandma Duggar and Auntie Deanna make sure she has a good future if she does defect, especially if she wants to attend a real university somewhere.

48 minutes ago, Fun Undies said:

Spotted some (new to me at least) pics, courtesy of tumblr.

The "rollo" one is what I guess got included in the bridesmaids gift jars (which I did notice had Rollo's in it).  Don't know if she, or someone else, came up with the rhyme.  But I have to admit, it's adorkable and I like it.

Also, no big shocker, they're filming their honeymoon (if you zoom in on the pic though, you'll notice jinger's wearing a shorter skirt/dress . . . I see knees!  Though to be fair, they are in tights, and the hem might fall several inches shorter when she's standing).

0a7088a5-55c6-4c8f-b99c-756c9418c217.jpg

b6eca9df-1eb4-4e9a-ba6f-d681f896f774.jpg

Hard to tell but Jinger's skirt looks absolutely adorable from what I can tell.  What a bother to have one's honeymoon taped ... I hope they give them respectful distance and just arrange a small amount of time to film.  So weird not being absolutely alone for that time.

8 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

Here's the glimpse we get of the pianist - I was pretty sure that was her, no?

erinbates.png

The woman that we can see just left of Jinger's head looks to be Heidi Query to me. I know the Query siblings do a strings quartet, but that doesn't look like what is happening here. I don't know if they sing. The other woman's face/coloring is too obscure to be sure, but it's possible she could be another Query sister.

38 minutes ago, Dept. of Redundancy Dept. said:

Thanks!  I was wondering that, too.  But of all the versions of "Come Thou Fount" I've listened to so far online, none of them end with "Hallelujah we sing, Hallelujah we sing, Hallelujah we sing," as the version at J&J's wedding did.  It has me perplexed.  It might just be a different version, but I wish I could find an online example to be sure.

I haven't watched the episode, but I did go looking.

This might be the version they used:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Page_CXVI:Come_Thou_Fount

http://pagecxvi.com/media/charts/PageCXVI_Hymns_ChordCharts.pdf

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived