IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Love and Marriage

samurai_sarah

Yep. It's all about the branding. J&J did not have public wedding planning nor a public registry, which tells me they wanted to do something a little different and more private than before. But Boob AND TLC couldn't let the wedding go by like that. They need the ratings and the bigger the spectacle, the bigger their brand grows. I feel bad for Jinge honestly. I think once she moves to Larado, they will be only be featured occasionally on the show so that she and Jeremy can live their lives without the camera. (Or I hope)

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the name change thing, I'm glad I didn't do that when I married my ex-husband, as it meant I didn't have to go through the process of changing everything back to my maiden name. It also meant that his creditors couldn't harass me even after the divorce was final, as I never used that name for anything. Now, when I get married, I'm changing my name because my batshit crazy uncle has pretty much ruined that name for the rest of us because he's been such an asshole to everyone he comes in contact with. Even if I never visit the city my grandparents lived in their entire lives, I would rather ditch that name due to the association with that uncle I cut out of my life years ago.

22 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I honestly couldn't figure out how to pronounce Vuolo in the beginning. In my head, it's "voo-oh-loh" with three syllables, instead of "voh-loh." I still pronounce it like that in my head.

I remember seeing it and my thought was like "Vulvo?" 

As for names, I grew up and was told that I had two middle names. Which was fine, made my name rather long but fine. Found the certificate that was filled out the hospital and the only name spelled right was my three letter middle name and the names were in the wrong order. Got my actual birth certificate to get my SIN and found out that I have one middle name the three letter one. My first name and last name were both spelled right this time. 

I can't even remember exactly when it was - I think it was after the candle, but while they were waiting on the song to end.  There were a few times where Jeremy looked at her, that I felt like he was going to get emotional all over again.  He looked at with her so much love, that I find myself having far more high hopes for them (at least him not being an abusive a-hole in the basic terms - spiritual abuse not included), than I did before. 

Love isn't the only thing a marriage needs, but it seems like these two have it, so it's a start.
Now if they can keep mutual respect, as high on the totem pole as "mutual attraction", then I'll be ecstatic [emoji6]

Emotions at a wedding ceremony do not determine if a marriage will be a good one or an abusive one. Keep in mind Jeremy is an IFB pastor and on the koolaid too.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Jeremy's church claims to be non-denominational.  The similarities to IFB are many though.

50 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I remember seeing it and my thought was like "Vulvo?" 

As for names, I grew up and was told that I had two middle names. Which was fine, made my name rather long but fine. Found the certificate that was filled out the hospital and the only name spelled right was my three letter middle name and the names were in the wrong order. Got my actual birth certificate to get my SIN and found out that I have one middle name the three letter one. My first name and last name were both spelled right this time. 

I'm a twelve year old boy, all I see is Vulva. :pb_lol:

Not to dissent too much, but if Jinge's options are stay at the cult house or go to Texas with Jeremy, a guy who hangs out with non fundies and has a family that dresses normal, I'd say Jeremy is the best option. He's not my ideal situation for her, but I have hopes that her happiness and freedom is going to increase. 

7 minutes ago, PartriarchydefyinValkarie said:

I'm a twelve year old boy, all I see is Vulva. :pb_lol:

That's all I will see now...oh boy! 

I took my husband's surname mostly out of tradition, but also for financial reasons. Taking his name in no way means I'm a fundie submissive helpmeet. My husband thinks that notion is repugnant. Oh, and I'm a SAHW due to medical problems.

If I ever do get married, I'm never changing my name. There'd have to be some life threatening circumstances to make me do that. My last name is foreign, and I'm proud of that. Even if no one can pronounce it right (it's really not that hard, it just doesn't follow the english pronunciation rules. German speakers have an easier time.)

On 11/17/2016 at 6:16 PM, blackgold86 said:

It is going to hit 92F (33C) today in Sydney! Wonder if they have left yet.. Modesty will be very difficult in this heat!

That's an ordinary summer temperature in Arkansas and much of the U.S., so they're already used to it.

If I ever get married I definitely plan on taking his name.  It's just something I've always wanted to do.  Off of that topic, but this wedding was my favorite.  I loved the flower wall and her dress is even more gorgeous than I thought.  

2 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I took my husband's surname mostly out of tradition, but also for financial reasons. Taking his name in no way means I'm a fundie submissive helpmeet. My husband thinks that notion is repugnant. Oh, and I'm a SAHW due to medical problems.

You do you Rosy!  If it's your choice it's no ones business what you do. Otherwise we are no different than the fundies we complain about not giving their kids choices. 

I'm surprised no one has talked about the fact that Jinger didn't have a blusher (the veil covering her face )   This is from Wikipedia

Veils covering the hair and face became a symbolic reference to the virginity of the bride thereafter. A bride may wear the face veil through the ceremony. Then either her father lifts the veil, presenting the bride to her groom, or the groom lifts the veil to symbolically consummate the marriage.

Veil - Wikipedia 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil

You know - symbolize that she is a VIRGIN (in case anyone had any doubts about her purity LOL) 

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Lurky said:

A bit like them - they're the nearest equivalent, but TimTams are 1000% nicer (I say that as a Brit)

And now I'm craving the special edition Turkish Delight TimTams I was once sent...

Pina Colada and strawberry champagne are the new limited editions here in Oz. To.die.for.

I considered keeping my maiden name, but between getting married at 25 (so no major career going on yet at that point) and having a fairly common maiden name (and my husband's surname is fairly rare but easy to spell/ write/ pronounce usually), I changed.  Glad I did.  And I don't mean that in the sense that everyone should, just that it worked out for me personally.  My sis changed too, to a very long, hard to pronounce name, and then divorced when her kids were little.  She kept the married name to match her kids.  

That's an ordinary summer temperature in Arkansas and much of the U.S., so they're already used to it.

I cannot imagine dressing modestly in that kind of heat. I mean, I'll often wear a knee-length skirt or dress with cap sleeves in the high-twenties, because I do often find a skirt to be cooler than shorts, but I wear ONE layer, none of these extra modesty camisoles or anything.

1 hour ago, alba said:

I cannot imagine dressing modestly in that kind of heat. I mean, I'll often wear a knee-length skirt or dress with cap sleeves in the high-twenties, because I do often find a skirt to be cooler than shorts, but I wear ONE layer, none of these extra modesty camisoles or anything.

Covering your skin can actually be better when it is hot. If you wear a loose-fitting shirt and a long skirt most of the heat will hit your clothes and not your skin and feel cooler than shorts and a tank top. I have tried it out and it works pretty well and it works better the higher the temperature is. It is not just for modesty that many Muslim societies dress the way they do, it is also a practical thing in a hot desert climate. 

15 hours ago, buggers said:

Haha, I can't imagine that 1,000 people is small. Even accounting for knowing mostly families with large amounts of kids, I would think that maybe 200 - 300 would be reasonable. There is no way the duggars know 1,000 people well enough to consider them wedding guest material. It's all to keep their place in fundie world. The wedding becomes a spectacle, the must see event of the season. It's bizarre. 

Although I agree, 1000 people is certainly not intimate and small, the number of guests can quickly climb at a wedding! We planned on having 110, ended up with 170 and we are just your average person where many couples have no kids or maybe 2 max. I would think 500-600 would be considered intimate for fundies. Which sounds absolutely exhausting and crazy to me :)

eta: my excitement over quoting someone properly!! 

Covering your skin can actually be better when it is hot. If you wear a loose-fitting shirt and a long skirt most of the heat will hit your clothes and not your skin and feel cooler than shorts and a tank top. I have tried it out and it works pretty well and it works better the higher the temperature is. It is not just for modesty that many Muslim societies dress the way they do, it is also a practical thing in a hot desert climate. 

Right, I could definitely see a maxi skirt and peasant blouse being more comfortable, but any time I've seen a loose blouse like that on a Duggar woman it's been over a high-necked camisole (even when the neckline isn't low at all), which seems horribly uncomfortable to me in hot weather.

8 hours ago, MoonFace said:

I'm surprised no one has talked about the fact that Jinger didn't have a blusher (the veil covering her face )   This is from Wikipedia

Veils covering the hair and face became a symbolic reference to the virginity of the bride thereafter. A bride may wear the face veil through the ceremony. Then either her father lifts the veil, presenting the bride to her groom, or the groom lifts the veil to symbolically consummate the marriage.

Veil - Wikipedia 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil

You know - symbolize that she is a VIRGIN (in case anyone had any doubts about her purity LOL) 

None of the girls used a blusher. I personally haven't even seen them in weddings, they are quite out of style. Jill barely even wore a veil (it was short and barely there). If Jessa could wear a non white dress and no one questioned her virginity, Jinger can handle not wearing a blusher

36 minutes ago, alba said:

Right, I could definitely see a maxi skirt and peasant blouse being more comfortable, but any time I've seen a loose blouse like that on a Duggar woman it's been over a high-necked camisole (even when the neckline isn't low at all), which seems horribly uncomfortable to me in hot weather.

I don't think it has to be that sweaty to wear a camisole and a thin blouse. The blouse would add very little to making you hotter but probably give you some protection from the sun and the camisole is  more or less the same as wearing a tanktop or t-shirt and most of us wear that at least in public at those temperatures (or am I a total prude for not walking around in a bathing suit regarless of temperature?). A skirt is a good option in hot weather even if it is long, much better than pants in my opinion. If it is really hot you tend to sweat whatever you wear anyway. 

It is funny with heat. I went to Turkey in autumn when Sweden had already gotten pretty chilly and Turkey was very very hot (30-40C) for the season, I think summers can be even hotter. The first day I actually thought for real I was going to die from the heat and I had heart palpitations if I didn't go inside to cool off at times. The next day was hot but I could stay outside most of the time without feeling too bad. Third day I thought the weather had changed because I could be outside kind of the same way I can in summer in Sweden (which is more 20-25C and 30+C considered very hot) but it was actually a degree warmer than the day before but my body had adapted to the heat.

15 hours ago, buggers said:

I think once she moves to Larado, they will be only be featured occasionally on the show so that she and Jeremy can live their lives without the camera. (Or I hope)

eh, I get the feeling that the well-spoken-previously-professional-soccer-player-turned-pastor isn't going off-camera anytime soon.  Not only do we have yet to see all the wedding planning, but how could we live without seeing how Jinger redecorates Jeremy's bachelor pad?!? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

I don't think it has to be that sweaty to wear a camisole and a thin blouse. The blouse would add very little to making you hotter but probably give you some protection from the sun and the camisole is  more or less the same as wearing a tanktop or t-shirt and most of us wear that at least in public at those temperatures (or am I a total prude for not walking around in a bathing suit regarless of temperature?). A skirt is a good option in hot weather even if it is long, much better than pants in my opinion. If it is really hot you tend to sweat whatever you wear anyway. 
It is funny with heat. I went to Turkey in autumn when Sweden had already gotten pretty chilly and Turkey was very very hot (30-40C) for the season, I think summers can be even hotter. The first day I actually thought for real I was going to die from the heat and I had heart palpitations if I didn't go inside to cool off at times. The next day was hot but I could stay outside most of the time without feeling too bad. Third day I thought the weather had changed because I could be outside kind of the same way I can in summer in Sweden (which is more 20-25C and 30+C considered very hot) but it was actually a degree warmer than the day before but my body had adapted to the heat.

Maybe it's just me, but I find a camisole underneath a top much warmer than one or the other, because the warmth gets trapped. For instance, I used to practice karate, and a lot of women I trained with wore a tank top under their gi because they were self-conscious about the gi top falling open while sparring. I took the POV that my industrial strength 30G sports bra covered WAAAAYY more than the average bikini because I couldn't stand the way heat got trapped between the layers and the camisole stuck to my skin.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived