IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Love and Marriage

samurai_sarah

Just now, Chickenbutt said:

@Casserolehahhahahaha Olden days? Are you calling me old? Which is fine if you are, because I am old.

LOL no. Dad will only be 57 this year. He's a yougin' but no way his birth cert/SS card combo that got him his first passport would have flown today. 

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. Life was so much simpler in the "olden days".

ETA: Back in the olden days, we got our SS card when we got a job, age 15 or 16.  Mine was in XXXXXX, and I didn't have to show anything to get that either. We didn't get SS#'s at birth like my kids did.

18 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Definitely was much less strict in the "olden" days. My dad JUST found out the middle name he thought was his is actually wrong. He was renewing his license and they noticed his social security and birth certificates had different middle names. He and his parents never knew. The worker at the DMV didn't know what to do, so his newest license is Dad MiddleNameA MiddleNameB Casserole.

His dad stopped at the irish pub prior to going to the registry office to fill out his birth certificate when he was born. Oops. 

For years I thought my middle names were hyphenated. It wasn't until I got my driver's license that I realized it was actually two separate names. I pointed it out to my mom and she was just like "Huh. It was supposed to have a hyphen." I guess she didn't realize the mistake either!

Hubby's family has also had their share of naming mistakes. My brother-in-law's name was supposed to be John Cameron Lastname (using fake names for example), and somehow his birth certificate came back as Cameron John Lastname. Everybody still called him John anyway. He recently got it fixed because he's getting married and he wanted it to be correct on his marriage license. And hubby's great-grandfather was an immigrant and during the immigration process his first and last name got switched. So technically, our surname should be something completely different.

4 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Really, Jinger should look into changing her first name. It can't be fun having people pronounce your name like "Finger" with a J.

Like Anne Curry (the Journalist) did on one TV segment-

3 hours ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Okay  finally watched.

1. I definitely see Catholic/Eastern/"traditional" (what I think of as traditional) wedding traditions - walking the Moms and Grams down the aisle.

2. Wonder how much sermonizing was cut out for tv

3. Like everyone else,  what was the Josie crown "princess" thing? Made no sense.

The first thing I thought when I saw the Josie crown was, Why isn't it floral? Why leaves?  The second thing I thought was when they put it on her -- that she looked like the Statue of Liberty.

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Really, Jinger should look into changing her first name. It can't be fun having people pronounce your name like "Finger" with a J.

I would love to see what would happen if she changed the first letter to a "G."  I think the TTH would tilt and spin.

She probably had one as an opportunity to score some household items, but we never actually found one. Anna, Jill, and Jessa all had registries.

I imagine they had a website set up and it was in the invitations, like normal people do. I'm glad they didn't famewhore themselves out like the others. 

I didn't keep my maiden name when we married, we considered a double-barrelled name but alas the combination of our names is rather rude :pb_lol: my surname is a verb and his is a noun, it pretty much translates as Mrs FuckaDuck.

I wish I had kept it though, I don't get on well with the in-laws and have never really felt part of their family (didn't help when MIL suggested we give our newborn a double barrelled surname with her maiden name instead of mine - I mean seriously WTF!).

20 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

I changed my name when we got married, but we are now planning on changing our name as a family. My husband was adopted and has no real attachment to his surname and it's a funky one to say and spell in the States. Now that his adopted father has passed on we want to start over as our own family unit. It's a statement for us and we chose a name that we both liked and was easy to spell. Maybe it's like the new Millennial trend of not holding on to family heirlooms, we just don't have desire to pass on a name we dislike. I know this might bother some people, but I think your name should make you happy, not others. YMMV

My parents did the same thing over 50 years ago, when my mother was pregnant with me.  My dad's adopted name was long and challenging to spell, so they changed it to something they liked that was fairly easy to spell.

24 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

I didn't keep my maiden name when we married, we considered a double-barrelled name but alas the combination of our names is rather rude :pb_lol: my surname is a verb and his is a noun, it pretty much translates as Mrs FuckaDuck.

I wish I had kept it though, I don't get on well with the in-laws and have never really felt part of their family (didn't help when MIL suggested we give our newborn a double barrelled surname with her maiden name instead of mine - I mean seriously WTF!).

What the actual...?? That is downright dismissive.

@VooDooChild you have no idea ;) 

In context, this was about a year after my own mum had died and me and MrCoveredInBees had debated for some time over whether we should use her name for DD. We had discounted the idea because 1) it was too soon (dad had pretty much vetoed the idea because it was too painful) and 2) we knew MIL would have thrown a hissy fit.

If you want a really shocking story, she also rang the hospital while I was in labour and pretended to be my mum in order to get more info (unsuccessfully). My first interaction with the outside world after having DD was a nurse telling me my mum was on the phone.

There are many, many other stories ;) but those are the showstoppers :) 

I'm one of two daughters and my dad's brother never had kids so unless my sister or I keeps our maiden name, the family name ends. I got married last weekend and thought a lot about what I wanted to do about my name. Ultimately, I've decided to take my husband's name. We plan on having kids soon and I like the idea of us all having the same last name. We talked a bit about hyphenating (both for me and for us both), but it would be quite a mouthful. Unlike Jinger, the decision was all mine. Husband and father were actually fairly unhelpful in the decision making process...both said to do what I want!

19 minutes ago, sta_sha said:

I'm one of two daughters and my dad's brother never had kids so unless my sister or I keeps our maiden name, the family name ends. I got married last weekend and thought a lot about what I wanted to do about my name. Ultimately, I've decided to take my husband's name. We plan on having kids soon and I like the idea of us all having the same last name. We talked a bit about hyphenating (both for me and for us both), but it would be quite a mouthful. Unlike Jinger, the decision was all mine. Husband and father were actually fairly unhelpful in the decision making process...both said to do what I want!

I regret not keeping my maiden name or at least hypenating this time.  I do have maiden married in my email which is my small concession to myself.  

But as @Curious says mine is a hot mess and she can't remember either one even though they are right there in my email, guess it's good I didn't hyphenate. :) 

i do miss my maiden name though.  One of my kids changed their name and took it which was cool but he found out fast what it's like to always have to spell it after saying it.  Usually at least twice.

eta your avatar always makes me smile.  Loves.

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

The way Josie's crown is being described reminds me of the time Lily was a flower girl on Modern Family

modern-family-little-bo-bleep.jpg

That's it! Except with Big green leaves instead (eucalyptus?).

12 hours ago, trustworthy said:

The first thing I thought when I saw the Josie crown was, Why isn't it floral? Why leaves?  The second thing I thought was when they put it on her -- that she looked like the Statue of Liberty.

Yeaaaahh! I *totally* thought of the Statue of Liberty too!!! 

Furthermore, I live in a country with a monarchy. Everybody here knows that princesses wear leaf crowns with lights in them! :my_biggrin:

Just to change the subject, what happened to the small intimate wedding? Is 1,000 small in fundie circles?

22 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Just to change the subject, what happened to the small intimate wedding? Is 1,000 small in fundie circles?

Haha, I can't imagine that 1,000 people is small. Even accounting for knowing mostly families with large amounts of kids, I would think that maybe 200 - 300 would be reasonable. There is no way the duggars know 1,000 people well enough to consider them wedding guest material. It's all to keep their place in fundie world. The wedding becomes a spectacle, the must see event of the season. It's bizarre. 

21 minutes ago, buggers said:

Haha, I can't imagine that 1,000 people is small. Even accounting for knowing mostly families with large amounts of kids, I would think that maybe 200 - 300 would be reasonable. There is no way the duggars know 1,000 people well enough to consider them wedding guest material. It's all to keep their place in fundie world. The wedding becomes a spectacle, the must see event of the season. It's bizarre. 

Yeah, I figure that fundies would have larger weddings, on average, because their social circles include large families and they make a big thing about being friends with ~families~ not individuals, but No. Frakking. Way. is JRod on Jinger or Jeremy's (or Jichelle's or Jim Boob's) list of besties.

47 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My hunch is that J&J wanted a smaller wedding but JB wouldn't allow it.  Have to look huge and popular to show how big the brand is.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived