IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Love and Marriage

samurai_sarah

So on the name thing. My fiance is the only male cousin with his last name so it's up to him to keep the family name going. I have no particular attachment to my last name especially since my parents got divorced and I have a male cousin to carry on that family name. So when fiance and I get married I will take his lovely Dutch last name and I get to finally ditch my (difficult for a whole lotta people to pronounce) Italian last name. 

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2016 at 10:12 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Can you imagine how horrible it would be to never be properly hugged? Like what if you were upset about something and you don't receive a proper comforting hug? Though I guess the Duggars aren't allowed to have negative emotions, so it doesn't matter.

It's pretty shitty, let me tell you.

My last actual comforting hug was more than five years ago when my mom was still alive. I can't imagine growing up as a Duggar with only side hugs.

On names... I kept my "maiden" name when I married the Mister. I don't really have a strong emotional connection to my last name, but it just seemed weird to change it as it's who I've always been. The Mister kept his as well. Don't think we'll ever become parents but our plan for if we did was to give our kid its own last name, separate from our family names. Both of our families are full of people who only caused suffering and sorrow - we see no need to burden a new human with all of that baggage.

And at this point, it would basically be tradition. I have a different last name from pretty much all of the relatives I'm still in contact with due to marriages, divorces, step-parents, etc.

10 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I considered keeping my maiden name, but between getting married at 25 (so no major career going on yet at that point) and having a fairly common maiden name (and my husband's surname is fairly rare but easy to spell/ write/ pronounce usually), I changed.  Glad I did.  And I don't mean that in the sense that everyone should, just that it worked out for me personally.  My sis changed too, to a very long, hard to pronounce name, and then divorced when her kids were little.  She kept the married name to match her kids.  

After my divorce I took my maiden name back which at least some of my former inlaws found highly insulting.  About the kids I was asked  "How are people going to know you're their mother?" 

Idk - maybe because I'm the one wiping their noses, buying them shoes, showing up at parent teacher meetings, doing their laundry, helping them with homework, know their vaccination schedules, favorite foods, allergies, and aversions, clean their rooms, teach them table manners, stand over them to make them write thank you notes, bandage their owies, worry about their futures, help them spell classmates names on Valentine's cards, plan their birthday parties, make sure they bathe, help them channel their adhhhd, read favorite bedtime stories for the millionth time, take them to CCD, protect them from grown up problems they shouldn't have to worry about, cuddle them to sleep after nightmares, go to 7 different stores to get the exact Yu-Gi-Oh collector set for Christmas, went to endless school pagents, art shows, and sporting events, was the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, Santa, and Halloween costume maker, their fiercest advocate and most vigilant protector...

And when I fell asleep for an unexpected nap in shorts and the then 4 year old drew over pirate stuff on every inch of my legs and arms with black sharpie I blamed myself, not him, for having the spend the rest of the summer in pants and long sleeves.

the last name?  Not so much the definition of who mom is IME.  The kiddos still recognized me. :) 

My mom kept her married name when she divorced my dad but went back to her maiden after second divorce.  People should do whatever works for them.

when my youngest changed his name because he hated it some people still don't believe his taking my maiden name wasn't a statement about his paternal family or dad or some kind of emotional tribute to me.  It's like they've never met him!  I was there through that - it was aesthetics plain and simple.  His dad's last name (the one he had until that point), his step dads last name (my married), and my maiden.  He picked the one that sounded the coolest to him.  Period.  

27 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

After my divorce I took my maiden name back which at least some of my former inlaws found highly insulting.  About the kids I was asked  "How are people going to know you're their mother?" 

Idk - maybe because I'm the one wiping their noses, buying them shoes, showing up at parent teacher meetings, doing their laundry, helping them with homework, know their vaccination schedules, favorite foods, allergies, and aversions, clean their rooms, teach them table manners, stand over them to make them write thank you notes, bandage their owies, worry about their futures, help them spell classmates names on Valentine's cards, plan their birthday parties, make sure they bathe, help them channel their adhhhd, read favorite bedtime stories for the millionth time, take them to CCD, protect them from grown up problems they shouldn't have to worry about, cuddle them to sleep after nightmares, go to 7 different stores to get the exact Yu-Gi-Oh collector set for Christmas, went to endless school pagents, art shows, and sporting events, was the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, Santa, and Halloween costume maker, their fiercest advocate and most vigilant protector...

And when I fell asleep for an unexpected nap in shorts and the then 4 year old drew over pirate stuff on every inch of my legs and arms with black sharpie I blamed myself, not him, for having the spend the rest of the summer in pants and long sleeves.

the last name?  Not so much the definition of who mom is IME.  The kiddos still recognized me. :)  

So true. Here none changes her last name after marriage and somehow we manage.

1 hour ago, weirdemmaline said:

It's pretty shitty, let me tell you.

My last actual comforting hug was more than five years ago when my mom was still alive. I can't imagine growing up as a Duggar with only side hugs.

I just so want to give you a hug right now. I'm truly sorry you haven't had a deep hug in so long and I hope you will find one soon. 

My husband and I are super affectionate and we joke a lot that we are bringing hugging back. We've turned most of our friends into huggers now ;-)

6 hours ago, pfled said:

eh, I get the feeling that the well-spoken-previously-professional-soccer-player-turned-pastor isn't going off-camera anytime soon.  Not only do we have yet to see all the wedding planning, but how could we live without seeing how Jinger redecorates Jeremy's bachelor pad?!? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Silly @pfled, redecorating is Jana's jurisdiction, not Jinger's. I'm sure TLC will be filming a Jana visit to Laredo as soon as the couple returns from their honeymoon.

On 11/15/2016 at 10:43 PM, eleanora3 said:

And the full wedding invitation...all courtesy of tumblr

15032112_306420519751391_6690716325378968432_n.jpg

Can we please just discuss how tacky this invitation is?  

16 minutes ago, rosebud95 said:

Can we please just discuss how tacky this invitation is?  

Oh come on, it's not that bad.

2 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

Oh come on, it's not that bad.

My inner traditional Southern belle is crying at the lack of engraving or calligraphy.  It's not their fault, though.  Bless their hearts.

5 minutes ago, rosebud95 said:

My inner traditional Southern belle is crying at the lack of engraving or calligraphy.  It's not their fault, though.  Bless their hearts.

Compared to Jessa's and Jill's; that's amazing. :P 

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this anywhere yet, but has anyone else seen this picture from the keeping up with fundies tumblr?

IMG_9428.PNG

1 minute ago, Rosierose1222 said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this anywhere yet, but has anyone else seen this picture from the keeping up with fundies tumblr?

IMG_9428.PNG

Why? Why????!?!?!?! 

I don't need to see all of these people kiss. 

I feel like that JimBoob/Mechelle were like "it's their first kiss! People need to know where Jinger got all her skills from!" or something of that nature.

24 minutes ago, Rosierose1222 said:

IMG_9428.PNG

Can Jim bob be anymore of an attention whore?

42 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

But I feel like the invitation would have worked more as a Remember the Date type thing?

The day of the wedding a Hartano had a picture of the invitation in their insta-story and that wasn't it? Same fonts, but no picture of JinJer - just pretty watercolor flowers. 

But really though..my step sister had one of the most stunning wedding invitation suites I've ever seen. Mother of pearl details, black and gold.. stunning. I kept it a little longer than I do other invitations because it was so pretty, but at the end of the day it ended up in the trash like every other invitation eventually does. When she told me the cost I almost fell out of my chair. The cost of her invitations for her Staten Island wedding could easily provide dinner for an entire wedding reception in the south. 

AND the Duggars needed over 1000 invitations. 1000 of anything isn't cheap. I think the invitations were nice and I am glad they saved enough money to let the guests have a snack and dessert. 

They wouldn't need 1000 though.  They only have to send one per family. 

37 minutes ago, Rosierose1222 said:

IMG_9428.PNG

Oh god. Why does this have to exist? Why did it show up when I was going to eat? 

Aaaauuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhh! Downvoting, blocking and reporting everyone in this thread so that I can eradicate the horror of that smooch-orgy photo from my psyche.

I'm totally late to this party, but I love her dress. It doesn't look like the typical white tshirt like so many of the fundie girls wear.  The train is gorgeous.  Good job, Jing!

8 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

None of the girls used a blusher. I personally haven't even seen them in weddings, they are quite out of style. Jill barely even wore a veil (it was short and barely there). If Jessa could wear a non white dress and no one questioned her virginity, Jinger can handle not wearing a blusher

Both Jill and Jessa had blushers, even though their veils were elbow and fingertip length. You can see in the wedding videos that both had their veils covering their faces when JB walked them down the aisle. 

Hey y'all, I'm new here so I have a little question.  I've noticed that none of the Duggar or Bates brides wore wedding veils that were longer than fingertip length, so I'm just curious about whether or not there are fundie rules against chapel-length and cathedral-length veils? 

50 minutes ago, Rosierose1222 said:

IMG_9428.PNG

Why are they doing this ? What is it about showing people that you're kissing ? This is so unneccesary, gross and senseless....

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived