IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Chik-Fil-A is a commendable “fast food†chain of restaurants. They aren’t open on Sundays so their employees can go to church. They don’t serve any beef and have very clever billboards depicting cows encouraging customers to eat more chicken.

Do any chicken places serve beef? The Colonel and Pollo Camparo don't. Why would they if they are a chicken place?

And it's okay to kill chickens but not cows? I don't get it. :geek:

Fundies don't eat pork? Why?

And I don't even want to start on the lifespan of chickens. I know a little too much about it and don't want to talk about it. It's short and hideous and abusive.

From what I've gathered reading the Maxwell blog, they don't really eat meat. Maybe too expensive or something? I don't think they are vegetarian (or certainly they would blog about it, right?), but their menus they've posted don't look like they eat much meat or other animal products except dairy.

WonderingInWA, Chik-Fil-A does mean that they sell boneless chicken sandwiches. I don't know what Steve's problem is with beef. Afraid of Mad Cow perhaps? I do know I've seen too many trucks loaded up with white leghorn chicken jammed into crates on their way to the slaughterhouse here. It's one of the reasons I became a vegetarian. Feedlots are terrible places, but factory-farm chicken houses are, IMO, worse. The cows in a feedlot *may* have had some time in an actual pasture.

The big reason Steve's so up on Chik-Fil-A besides the free goodies is that the company was started by a fundie Baptist in the Atlanta area. Their kid's meal prizes tend towards the preachy -books based on the Kid's Book of Virtues and things like that.

Some fundies don't eat pork, but I think that is far from universal among fundies. I think it's mostly the ATI crowd and the fake Jews that shun pork.

See, I'm in the middle of getting my kitchen remodeled, and, in mid-job, discovered I needed to replace my dishwasher. I asked the Lowe's project coordinator how quickly a new one could be delivered. He said, "Follow me to the store and pick one out. If I have it in stock, I'll deliver it today.". So I did, and it was--but it was dented. So the guy called another Lowe's, found a good one, and I had it an hour later.

He also advised me against a certain model, and recommended one $200 cheaper.

Now, I don't see the personal hand of Jesus in this--just the efforts of a hardworking kid doing his job well. (Oh, and I WILL let his boss know how pleased I am!)

I think the no beef thing is supposed to appeal to people who think that eating red meat is bad for you, for whatever reason. I don't think it has to do with the way the animals are treated.

Yeah coz frying up chicken is so much healthier than 1/2 inch beef patties... uh wait no! that's not true!

It's really stupid that they'd support chick fil'A because it does not serve beef. Beef has hormones, and chicken get antibiotics and a ridiculous manipulation of their growth to keep them for lesser amount of time. Guess Steve should start reading worldly newspaper once in a while!

Fundies usually associate people who care about animal rights or suffering as godless/pagan librul hippies. I've seen conversations of such turn into, "OK, fine dogs shouldn't suffer, but what about the children??!!" As if the concern for one doesn't allow for the concern of the other.

I meant to post it here recently but while skimming the Pissing Preacher's (Anderson) FB page, someone asked if animal cruelty was against God or something like that and he said, "Nope." Some answers came back about dominion, but at least the guy who asked the question wouldn't let it go and brought up things like senseless cruelty.

As for why Steve doesn't appear to like beef, well, chalk it up to another thing like Pepsi. Or something like that.

Riffle

Fundies don't eat pork? Why?

Doesn't that go back to the Old Testament? I don't know the O.T. well, but the same verses used by the Jews to not eat pork.

Yeah coz frying up chicken is so much healthier than 1/2 inch beef patties... uh wait no! that's not true!

It's really stupid that they'd support chick fil'A because it does not serve beef. Beef has hormones, and chicken get antibiotics and a ridiculous manipulation of their growth to keep them for lesser amount of time. Guess Steve should start reading worldly newspaper once in a while!

Oh, believe me -- I've seen the whole poultry farm gig in action. It's hideous, and yes, they accelerate their growth so they can get eggs for a few weeks and then send them to the slaughterhouse. It's disgusting. They never leave their cage. Go to You Tube and search for How It's Made Egg Processing or Chicken Processing.

I think the beef reference here may just be a guy who doesn't do pop culture clumsily explaining a pop culture reference to an audience that doesn't really do pop culture either. He can't just say "Chik-Fil-A is the place that has those funny ads with the talking cows". He can't just assume his audience has actually seen the ads.

On the other hand, maybe Steve has decided that beef is an idol. I know it was in my (christian) family when I was growing up in Nebraska. Mmmmm, Omaha Steaks....

Gothard is the one that forbids pork, I don't think it is a problem for most other fundie flavors, except the Torah Tulips, of course.

Oh, believe me -- I've seen the whole poultry farm gig in action. It's hideous, and yes, they accelerate their growth so they can get eggs for a few weeks and then send them to the slaughterhouse. It's disgusting. They never leave their cage. Go to You Tube and search for How It's Made Egg Processing or Chicken Processing.

I buy my eggs from supposedly cage free chickens, but in a supermarket. So do you think they really are from cage free chickens? They cost more but having seen some of those films about chicken processing I can't bring myself to pay less for other eggs, and chicken too. The same with beef, it's marked as free range beef and cost more. I hope consumers aren't being duped.

Guest Anonymous
We had a nice evening last night. A sweet family has given us unlimited Chik-Fil-A until the 15th here in this area. What a blessing! Thank you!

I think I feel my arteries clog. :?

The Chik- Fil-A part of the post has been amended - it no longer specifies that they were offered unlimited amounts.... do you think Steve thought they were making an idol of their fast food? Or maybe they were receiving 'stolen' goods from an employee? :lol:

If anything sinful went on at the restaurant last night, they'd better all be sat in the van, in full view of the diners, eating dry crackers for supper tonight..... :naughty:

I think they can be called free range or cage free if they spend a certain amount of time everyday outside the barn. I'm not sure though.

I have a friend who will only buy meat from farmers that he knows. He has personally been over to the farm and seen the cattle in the fields, the chickens pecking around in a yard, etc.

See, I'm in the middle of getting my kitchen remodeled, and, in mid-job, discovered I needed to replace my dishwasher. I asked the Lowe's project coordinator how quickly a new one could be delivered. He said, "Follow me to the store and pick one out. If I have it in stock, I'll deliver it today.". So I did, and it was--but it was dented. So the guy called another Lowe's, found a good one, and I had it an hour later.

He also advised me against a certain model, and recommended one $200 cheaper.

Now, I don't see the personal hand of Jesus in this--just the efforts of a hardworking kid doing his job well. (Oh, and I WILL let his boss know how pleased I am!)

Dude. You were totally blessed.

It can't be that the heathen people are actually really nice and hardworking. No, it has to be God.

Maybe God is the one making Uriah have so many problems and the heathens are thwarting his will!!!

I have a friend who will only buy meat from farmers that he knows. He has personally been over to the farm and seen the cattle in the fields, the chickens pecking around in a yard, etc.

I would prefer that but I'd have a very long drive, probably at least 2 hours. If I get a freezer (if I move to a bigger place) I would buy half a cow and a pig from a butcher who only did free range animals.

I think they can be called free range or cage free if they spend a certain amount of time everyday outside the barn. I'm not sure though.

The most delicious piece of beef I've ever had was from a small farmers my uncle buys from. It was melting in my mouth.

Okay, yes egg laying conditions can be horrid. Hens live in cages over a manure pit for 2 to 2 1/2 years. The age/ breed determines their egg size and most commercial laying hens are either white leghorns (white eggs) or one of a few brown laying hybrids. Their laying slows down as their eggs get bigger and generally they are shipped off to be canned meat at that point. The kind of chicken you buy fresh or frozen is nearly always a hybrid called a Cornish cross. They grow fast, without hormones, and can be butchered at two to three months old. Hens don't start laying until they are over 4 months old, and usually closer to 6.

Free range means that they have access to outside. Cage free usually just means that they were kept loose in a big barn.

Yes, I raise my own hens for eggs, and have raised Cornish cross for meat too.

THanks for the cool link. We don't have one in my area, so I have never eaten there or heard much about them.

About the Chik-Fil-A fundie issue (what a SOTDRT spelling btw), they have a right to support right wing causes and people have the right to not dine there. I don't see it as a huge issue like This Needs To Be Stopped!!!, but I would certainly be unsettled about giving them my money considering they are actively fighting gay marriage.

Cage-free doesn't mean that the chickens have access to the outdoors. It just means that they are not confined to battery cages. Free-range chickens are to have some access to the outdoors and fresh air everyday, but it may not be very much at all. Most free range chickens don't have lives like the chickens did on my grandparents' farm where the chickens wandered around the farmyard all day and roosted in the henhouse at night. They weren't confined at all except that the henhouse door would be shut at night to keep the foxes out.

I know that Chick-Fil-A supports really right wing causes, but dammit, if they don't put crack in those deliciously sinful nuggets, I don't know anything.

THanks for the cool link. We don't have one in my area, so I have never eaten there or heard much about them.

About the Chik-Fil-A fundie issue (what a SOTDRT spelling btw), they have a right to support right wing causes and people have the right to not dine there. I don't see it as a huge issue like This Needs To Be Stopped!!!, but I would certainly be unsettled about giving them my money considering they are actively fighting gay marriage.

The internet ate my post! Emmiedahl pretty much said I was going to. They have a right to support what causes they want, and for that reason, they will not receive any of my money. Which is a shame, because the food is pretty good and I do like that they give all their workers Sunday off.

Total count of burritos eaten:

Total count of prayers unanswered:

Total count of fellowships enjoyed:

Add number of times Christ raised Uraiah from the dead.........and number of times things were taken away/stopped for becoming idols.

Um..... there are LOTS of Christian farmers out there. It's a majority religion, and *gasp* a majority of farmers consider themselves Christian too. My personal favorite are the farmers of Polyface Farms, who believe God calls them to be good stewards of the land both now and in the future. They were featured in the NY Times and in the movie Food, Inc as well (in a good way).

Also the food tastes great.

Archived