IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

Kayaks are small. I can't see them having one in the boat with them. and what good would it do to have it in the boat when it capsizes and floats away.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kayaks are small. I can't see them having one in the boat with them. and what good would it do to have it in the boat when it capsizes and floats away.

Teri is in a sit-in so hers could easily be down by her legs (though I am doubting it). Steve doesn't appear to have one with him on the sit-on because it would be pretty easy to spot. My husband and I both have swim trunk shorts we wear when we go, and we usually keep ours attached to our shorts in some way. I tend to use my PFD as a back rest because the one in my kayak loves to slip back and be uncomfortable. I haven't had any issues grabbing mine the couple of times I have capsized, but I haven't needed it because it's been in the knee/thigh-deep river and rocks and logs are a more immediate concern for my safety than drowning. And no way in hell would I ever want to face something like that in jeans or a long (denim, no less) skirt! To me, that is almost more stupid than not having a PFD. You want quick-drying clothing that won't hinder you in water. That's common sense rule #1.

I'm definitely not defending their decision to forgo the PFDs. I think it's pretty stupid in a choppy ocean, just as some of you may think I'm stupid not to wear mine on the local river, but I felt the need to comment since I am quite familiar with kayaking. They are lucky they didn't meet up with the DNR. There can be a hefty fine for not having the required equipment, and here in Indiana at least, they can seize your boat as well.

Steve figures God will part the waters and let them walk back home on dry land. Or maybe a manatee will swallow them and vomit him back on the beach after 3 days and 3 nights.

Guest Anonymous
Steve figures God will part the waters and let them walk back home on dry land. Or maybe a manatee will swallow them and vomit him back on the beach after 3 days and 3 nights.

Barring that, a dolphin will let him climb on its back and ride back to shore.

I don't always wear mine either. I usually just sit on it. But there are some areas in Florida where it is required - like state parks for instance. If I get yelled at, I put it on. Or if there's a lot of boat traffic. Or if its windy/choppy/strong current. Of course, my kid will always have it on. And its always best not to kayak with kids in places where alligators or crocodiles might be present - that's just a random bit of advice I threw in to show how smart I am. ;)

I'm kind of glad to see the Maxwells out kayaking and seeing manatees and such. Good for them. I hope they just enjoy themselves instead of making a big, preachy, Jesus-y deal out of it.

I got a laugh when I glanced at the previous blog entry and saw this:

We continue to see the Lord’s Hand on every aspect of this transmission replacement.

It reminds me of that family who went to some Gothard function and got the shits. They made it into some big deal about spiritual warfare. Teeheeheehee. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a fundie blog.

I got a laugh when I glanced at the previous blog entry and saw this:

It reminds me of that family who went to some Gothard function and got the shits. They made it into some big deal about spiritual warfare. Teeheeheehee. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a fundie blog.

OMG, is that for real? Funniest thing I've heard all day!

Polyface farms only looks like a nice crunchy hippy place until you scratch under it and find a fundie. The guy won't take on female interns, only male. Went to Bob Jones, all those sorts of earmarks of fundiedom. Like most people, he's neither all good or all bad.

I have one friend who preferred to eat lamb because "Sheep are dumb and deserve to be eaten."

ooo lamb is so good!!!!

I love lamb, I even like mutton prepared certain ways. Sheep are very, very dumb and not very nice either.

Somebody emailed them abt the kayak's. Steve replied that the water was almost to shallow for the boats. He also said the girls were wearing skirts.

:shock: Could they have possible been from a FJ'er???? :mrgreen:

Can't abide sheep or goats. Never liked the taste of the meat.

I like venison sometimes.

We had bison burgers the other night and the kiddos said they were so much leaner than ground beef.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. In my experience, goats are stupid beasts, as dumb as sheep, and I don't like goat meat. I have eaten plenty. It is gamier than elk even. Ugh.

Haven't had goat meat but had a pet goat. I like goats. I like sheep too, even if they are dumb. Lamb tastes good too. I don't like elk meat. I don't like venison.

We had bison burgers the other night and the kiddos said they were so much leaner than ground beef.

Bison is very good. Your kids were right.

[

Haven't had goat meat but had a pet goat. I like goats. I like sheep too, even if they are dumb. Lamb tastes good too.

Yeah, I don't mind having dumb animals around. If I didn't want them around, I wouldn't have the chickens. Especially the silkies. I'd like some sheep, but a smaller breed, not a full fledged meat breed. (though, my friend had a very sweet suffolk that they let live out her life as a pet after eating most of her offspring.)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I don't mind having dumb animals around. If I didn't want them around, I wouldn't have the chickens. Especially the silkies. I'd like some sheep, but a smaller breed, not a full fledged meat breed. (though, my friend had a very sweet suffolk that they let live out her life as a pet after eating most of her offspring.)

Argh sheep and wool maggots, a memory I'd like to purge :pray:

Argh sheep and wool maggots, a memory I'd like to purge :pray:

Ick, it's dry enough here that those aren't something I've ever seen in friend's sheep. However, I have seen an angora after a bot fly attack. Probably not any better. And I don't understand why people think muelsing is horrible, it's temporary pain- otherwise it is a really ugly death.

Can't help but sing some Gorillaz:

"Up on melancholy hill sits a manatee..."

manateep.jpg

Manatees are so freaky-looking. The freak the shit out of me. I don't ever want to see one.

A good rhyme for vanity though. Almost makes you want to write a poem for Sarah. A mocking one natch.

I see manatees all the time. When fishing, when walking or riding my bike. I catch sharks (they taste great, but you have to bleed 'em). I've seen dolphins 'catch' fisherman. They grab your bait, and just swim around with it until they get bored and go find something new to play with. Remember, even if the dolphin approaches you in the wild, you are not allowed to touch it. Way against the law to harass them. One of my husbands co-workers tells of being at the beach one day, and a manatee approached him. It kept swimming around him, and some woman on the beach started screaming at him for harassing it. He screamed back that it was harassing him. he was actually afraid to move.

We have a resident pair of red shouldered hawks in our yard. An Owl, which I have never seen, but heard. The racoons got into the shells I was soaking in a bucket the other night, scattered them all over the porch. A friend just showed me the many gopher tortoise holes in her yard. I watched a pair of osprey parents try to coax their chick out of a tree the other day. Watched the bald eagles soar. Had a mammoth monarch butterfly buzz me the other day. There is also a cute little tree frog living in my pineapple plant. Saw a three foot Nile monitor lizard in the park the other day. But can't catch that dumb armadillo that keeps digging up my yard.

I know a manatee is a big deal to her, but it's not like it was a special miracle or anything. It's an everyday occurrence for many. Most people just don't bother to pay attention to what's going on around them.

I recently found out that the alligator in our local park is bigger than I thought it was and ate a St. Bernard some idiot woman let loose in the park after midnight last year.

Also, those dolphins in the pools at such places as Cabo, well, they are what is keeping the dolphin slaughter in such places as Japan going. When the fisherman round up the dolphins, trainers from all over the world buy the best ones for hundreds of thousands of dollars each. The rejects are slaughtered by the fisherman.

Archived