IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

For those wondering about why Steve and the Maxwells might avoid pork.

Jews don't eat pork because it was one of the foods the G-d declared "impure." You've probably heard about something being "kosher" meaning it's okay. Pork isn't kosher, so it's not okay to eat (because pigs are carnivores). Shellfish and crabs are another one people know aren't kosher.

Muslims also don't eat pork for the same reason, though some/many of their dietary restrictions are different (don't really know enough to say, sorry). Though I know that alcohol is strictly forbidden and meat must be slaughtered ritually "in the name of Allah."

Here's an interesting link that goes over 12 different religions in the world and the dietary restrictions of each religion. Basically IMHO, it all boils down to: you are what you eat.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/07/20/cla ... trictions/

Christians are allowed to eat any food they want because of some verses in the New Testament, but some Christians decide that they want to follow the food laws from the Jewish Writings anyway. Even then, chicken is a-okay!

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting link that goes over 12 different religions in the world and the dietary restrictions of each religion. Basically IMHO, it all boils down to: you are what you eat.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/07/20/cla ... trictions/

Yazidism / Yezidism

Off the menu: Legendarily, lettuce, cabbage and butter beans.

Well, I have no clue what this religion s but any religion not allowing those 3 foods is one I coud join. :P

I forgot Jews couldn't eat shellfish. I can't because of allergies but my philosophy is to eat nothing that comes out of the water. Maybe seaweed but nothing else.

No kidding! How do you raise an animal and then butcher it or sell it to someone who will? Ethics, anyone???? Watching the Sanders post photos of their chicken-killing party pushed me over the edge. Who the hell does stuff like that???

Well, the Sanders party thing was crazy. A long time ago my family did raise rabbits and some poultry for meat. My dad is very tenderhearted and he would get the shakes and apologize over and over when he was going to butcher something, and none of the rest of us could do it either, so we quit. It was of course still a much better ending for the animals than the ones that predators got to, but it was just too hard for our sensibilities. I would like to raise a beef cow at some point because you can shoot them and it is so instant that it seems like the kindest sort of meat to eat. I'm a fan of Temple Grandin, BTW. So yeah, I sort of dislike eating chicken because of it's not being such a quick process to kill them.

Anyway, it is not a fun topic and I do not enjoy killing animals, but I figure if I want to eat it I should be prepared to participate in the raising and preparation aspects.

The site is totally wrong about why Jains don't eat root vegetables. It is because it kills the plant. They only eat things that do not involve an organism (plant or animal) dying. The Jain people I knew would not walk on grass or other plants if they could avoid it. It is a very conscientious lifestyle that respects all life equally.

What is not quick about ringing a chicken's neck?

That's how my grandmother, father, and ex-mil did it. Over and fried before you knew it!

I saw manatees in 1966. Yep way back in the dark ages, in Florida. They were neat in a homely sort of way.

My daughter paid $135US to swim with dolphins in Cabo San Lucas and loved it. She even got kissed by a big male one named Cuervo. And I wasn't even there to chaperone her.

Damn, I was gonna ask you to go fishing and get me some walleyes or bluegills and freeze em and ship em to me.

Those are the only fish I really like. Cod from Long John Silvers doesn't count. I do love shrimp and crab and lobster though. But no ocean fish.

A mama and baby humpback whale breached for us 5 or 6 times as close as we can legally get on our 'what some would call a vacation this year'

God likes me best.

I'll tell you, no matter how attached you are to a cow, once you've spent a few months shoveling steer shit and having them bump you with their GIANT heads and drop snot on your collar and push on the fence while you milk the other cows, it's pretty damn satisfying to know they're going to be hamburgers.

Pigs I can understand getting really attached to, but cows are just giant and clumsy and stupid.

Why would Mary even have an iphone? She has no friends to call or text and her family doesn't let her out of their site so what is the point?

Surely she uses it to listen to Bible lectures or similar?

I've seen ads on some fundie Jewish sites for iPods (this was before iPhones) that came preloaded with lectures by famous rabbis, religious seminars.

If it's a real iPhone or iPod touch though, yeah, I do have to wonder if she ever uses the web browser to read on her own. But perhaps she's too brainwashed to want to, by now, I have no idea.

I think Mary, Anna and Sarah all wear athletic skirts. I've seen them pictured exercising in them and hiking in them. I imagine that's a skirt...

I think Mary, Anna and Sarah all wear athletic skirts. I've seen them pictured exercising in them and hiking in them. I imagine that's a skirt...

I agree, it is a skirt.

Surely she uses it to listen to Bible lectures or similar?

I've seen ads on some fundie Jewish sites for iPods (this was before iPhones) that came preloaded with lectures by famous rabbis, religious seminars.

If it's a real iPhone or iPod touch though, yeah, I do have to wonder if she ever uses the web browser to read on her own. But perhaps she's too brainwashed to want to, by now, I have no idea.

Unless they were Bible lectures prerecorded by Steve, I can't imagine they'd let her listen to Bible lectures. Maybe she has an audio recording of the KJV on her iPhone. That's the only thing I could see them letting her listen to.

Damn, I was gonna ask you to go fishing and get me some walleyes or bluegills and freeze em and ship em to me.

Those are the only fish I really like. Cod from Long John Silvers doesn't count. I do love shrimp and crab and lobster though. But no ocean fish.

Oh I could do that, just don't ask me to cook them or eat them. 8-)

Guest Anonymous
I'll tell you, no matter how attached you are to a cow, once you've spent a few months shoveling steer shit and having them bump you with their GIANT heads and drop snot on your collar and push on the fence while you milk the other cows, it's pretty damn satisfying to know they're going to be hamburgers.

Pigs I can understand getting really attached to, but cows are just giant and clumsy and stupid.

Cows will never be as smart or as tasty as goats :lol:

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. In my experience, goats are stupid beasts, as dumb as sheep, and I don't like goat meat. I have eaten plenty. It is gamier than elk even. Ugh.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. In my experience, goats are stupid beasts, as dumb as sheep, and I don't like goat meat. I have eaten plenty. It is gamier than elk even. Ugh.

They must have been fed wrong, the goat I've eaten has been as gamey as lamb at the most. I want sheep someday, but I do think that goats are smarter than sheep by a teeny bit. (I have friends with both)

Unless they were Bible lectures prerecorded by Steve, I can't imagine they'd let her listen to Bible lectures. Maybe she has an audio recording of the KJV on her iPhone. That's the only thing I could see them letting her listen to.
Good point. :think:

Now that you mention the KJV, though, it reminds me that you can in fact get Bible apps for the iPhone - full text, searchable, etc. I seem to recall a post by the Maxwells mentioning that they do read the Bible on their phones, though not sure what app they have for it.

I personally have no Bible apps but I do have a lot of reference books and dictionaries on there - that's what pushed me over the edge to buy it in the first place. I would very much recommend an iDevice for studying, there are a lot of really great things on there, you can save your back not carrying so many references around. It's at least several feet of bookshelf there in my pocket, with a better lookup system!

HOWEVER, I have no problem with the internet, so my sensibilities about it are probably different from the Maxwells'...

Guest Anonymous

They must have been fed wrong, the goat I've eaten has been as gamey as lamb at the most. I want sheep someday, but I do think that goats are smarter than sheep by a teeny bit. (I have friends with both)

I respect emmi so I'm not gonna shiv her simply because she has had some poor goat experiences :D

Boer goats grown for meat are slaughtered young, males are neutered early to keep their meat from being gamey. Around here the male goats go to the Halal butcher who raises them for the Muslim community and their needs. But a young boer doe fed on grass and grain is a tender delight.

"They take so many "freebies", food, shelter, gifts, etc. But they NEVER post how they've given in return. "

Maybe Daddy on his knees?

titus2DOTcom/ecommerce/products/prod_listing.php/3000

Archived