IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:animals-chickencatch: I coudn't resist!! I was raised in the Hindu faith (am now non-practicing), so I think it's great if they actually don't eat beef ;) , bur geeze, how unhealthy can you get, I would rather pay money to eat a healthy meal, but that's just me. Isn't there something in the bible about one's body being a temple or something like that?? If so, then wouldn't it be a sin to eat junk food????? :think:

I think the polyface guy is happy to talk to anyone who will listen to his message -and really, why wouldn't he? He's passionate about his farm and everybody's gotta eat, right?

(I'm basing this opinion on the fact that he seems to pop up everywhere - in documentaries, in Michael Pollan's book, on blogs that I read, etc. Also, he strikes me as...well, fiercely individualist and somewhat crunchy/hippie, so he might have a live and let live attitude.)

It pays to be subtle

I had my comment posted. I congratulated "Anna and Christopher" on the baby, not the "Maxwells", or "Christopher and Anna Marie." It IS Anna who is pregnant, and I hate how the Maxwells have changed Anna's name to suit them. They also changed her sister's name to Gracie, but she was either Sarah or Mary...

This from the perspective of someone who would like to raise her own meat but has difficulty squashing bugs. :roll:

I've always wondered how 4H kids who raise animals for the state fair did it. They seem so attached to their cow, lamb, pig, whatever. But then to see them sold to the highest bidder to be made into human food, I couldn't do it.

I've always wondered how 4H kids who raise animals for the state fair did it. They seem so attached to their cow, lamb, pig, whatever. But then to see them sold to the highest bidder to be made into human food, I couldn't do it.

No kidding! How do you raise an animal and then butcher it or sell it to someone who will? Ethics, anyone???? Watching the Sanders post photos of their chicken-killing party pushed me over the edge. Who the hell does stuff like that???

The older I get, the more my concept of prayer changes. It's much less "give me this thing/condition I want," and more "give me the strength to persevere and to do the good I must."

This.

They take so many "freebies", food, shelter, gifts, etc. But they NEVER post how they've given in return. :naughty:

They should be paying it forward like so many are doing now, and not just religious folks.

Dontcha know, the Maxwells don't have to actually give to others because their existance here in this world to show us the one true way of living is gift enough. At least that is probably how they feel.

The Maxwells haven't given me any gift as far as I know. Personally, if they think that showing people their brand of life is a gift then they need to visit a dictionary.

I wonder if all the freebies are accounted for and declared as gifts on their income tax? Free housing at the "river house", free food at Chik-fil-A, and all those other things.

Since they aren't a church, they aren't tax exempt are they?

The Maxwells haven't given me any gift as far as I know. Personally, if they think that showing people their brand of life is a gift then they need to visit a dictionary.

They actually have given me a gift. They have made me grateful for the life I've lived, the family I have, the way I was raised and the mistakes I've made in life. I come from a pretty dysfunctional family with a not so happy-go-lucky childhood, but every time they post something about life in their family and world, I develop an appreciation for the things that were right in my life and family and I say my thanks for that.

My cousins daughter in Wisconsin went to county and the state fair each year for the past 4 years with steers she's raised. She was FFA president and is now in college ( on an FFA Scholarship) studying animal husbandry so she can continue her grandparents farm when she graduates. She ribboned at all the fairs and she knew the steers were going to be dinner for someone. Since she spent a good portion of her life on their farm she knew why animals were raised and why they were slaughtered.

A little OT, but I was at the MN state fair a couple of years ago and in the show ring they were judging bulls. I was watching the kids get their animals ready and they amount of hair product sprayed on them was crazy. Just like a real fashion show, no cowlicks on these boys. It was fun to see.

Interesting how they keep running into people with car trouble or accidents, along with all the problems that they keep seeming to have.

Sounds to me like God's hand really has been in all of this--trying to stop them. Who wrecked the transmission? The countless windshields? All the other troubles they mentioned? The delays for helping people at the side of the road. God wants to keep them at home, and keeps throwing up all these delays.

Seriously, He's sending them a message to stop but they are too self centered to realize it.

But they are convinced it's Satan doing all these things to stop them from getting God's word out. Apparently no one would know what God wants us to do unless the Maxwells tell us.

The Maxwells are posting so often this week I can't keep up.

Today Sarah got to see a manatee, and praised God for it. God, being a multi tasker, apparently can fix their transmission and allow for manatee spotting.

I had to laugh at the picture of Mary doing her school work with her iphone (with ear buds) on her book. If you didn't know better you'd swear she was a typical teen. Wish it were so.

Are they in Florida? That is the only place I have seen a manatee. (they are graceless and kinda ugly, everyone was excited and I was like 'really?')

Why would Mary even have an iphone? She has no friends to call or text and her family doesn't let her out of their site so what is the point?

I wanted to see a Manatee in Fl. and all we saw were sharks(and of course I was on my period the one damn week we are in the Keys so I cannot even go in the water or attract more sharks to eat my kids :/ Damn Sarah and her manatee spotting! IF only God loved me as he loves Sarah.... :violin:

No kidding! How do you raise an animal and then butcher it or sell it to someone who will? Ethics, anyone???? Watching the Sanders post photos of their chicken-killing party pushed me over the edge. Who the hell does stuff like that???

Wouldn't you prefer to know that the animal had a humane life and quick death, rather than to be locked in a cage for it's entire life? (though, as others have said, it's not done for beef cattle) I do not see how it is an ethical issue to raise your own meat and butcher it or have it butchered for you.

I think the polyface guy is happy to talk to anyone who will listen to his message -and really, why wouldn't he? He's passionate about his farm and everybody's gotta eat, right?

(I'm basing this opinion on the fact that he seems to pop up everywhere - in documentaries, in Michael Pollan's book, on blogs that I read, etc. Also, he strikes me as...well, fiercely individualist and somewhat crunchy/hippie, so he might have a live and let live attitude.)

These two books also make me think that he might identify with VF- well, and the fact that he's spoken at more than one conference for them.

visionforum.com/browse/product/tilling-the-soil-cultivating-an-entrepreneurial/?search=salatin&sortby=0

polyfacefarms.com/2011/07/25/family-friendly-farming/

And an event scheduled with them next July polyfacefarms.com/joel-schedule/

I wonder what it means when God allows dolphins to approach you and let you touch them. God must really, really like me and my sons better! lol

I saw the manatee from a boat. It was one of those swamp boat rides on the Everglades. I hated it: hot and humid, and wouldn't the time be better spent at Disneyworld? This was when I was in high school and I was such a bitch about it.

Wouldn't you prefer to know that the animal had a humane life and quick death, rather than to be locked in a cage for it's entire life? (though, as others have said, it's not done for beef cattle) I do not see how it is an ethical issue to raise your own meat and butcher it or have it butchered for you.

I don't think it's an ethical issue, I just think it must be hard. And yes, a humane life and quick dea th is much preferable to caged.

Has anyone read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair? I didn't eat meat for several months after that.

Archived