IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what is it with the patriarch and all his naps? He's always takin' naps. Its not like he works.

I wondered about the same thing. I knew a man much younger than Steve who worked full time, and who used to take naps. Only after he had heart surgery did his wife put 2 and 2 together and realized that the need to nap was actually a symptom of his heart issues. I've thought about this every time someone has mentioned that Steve takes naps.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for helping me connect the dots on the nap thing moreorless. The current hubby napped a lot pre heart attack and still does, but I think that is a function of his depression as well.

Thanks for helping me connect the dots on the nap thing moreorless. The current hubby napped a lot pre heart attack and still does, but I think that is a function of his depression as well.

I hope your husband is doing better.

I'm assuming Steve naps on days he does a lot of driving, which makes sense to me.

What I don't get is why he doesn't trade off driving with some of the older children. If Sarah is just too delicate for bus driving, why not Joseph and John?

Those skirts aren't too freaky - from a distance one might think they're a pair of cropped mesh workout pants (I have several pairs of these lovely workout pants from Target; the looseness hides a multitude of post-baby body issues). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they bought something like these:

12032815.jpg

Then split the crotch seam (oh, that sounds wrong) and sewed them up again to make a skirt. Alternatively they could buy mesh and sew themselves but I don't think they'd bother with the side trim that I see on all three of the fundie exercise skirts, so my bet is on repurposing loose fitting mesh capris/crops.

With a good sports bra and a tee shirt a casual observer probably wouldn't even notice that they're not pants, but the modesty vests just bring it to a new level of odd. There's nothing wrong with wearing a vest to stay warm, but it's nowhere near cold enough for that as is evidenced by their sleeve lengths. I agree with those who think they actually draw attention to the chest area due to the trim/piping.

If I saw just the guys with the weights and kettlebell, I might think that the bus was occupied by Cross Fit enthusiasts. :lol:

Where exactly in Alaska are they going? Alaskans, help me out here: I remember, years ago, having read about traveling the trans-Alaskan highway, and the kinds of emergency supplies and replacement parts that the law requires to be on a vehicle before it's let onto the highway.

I don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling about Uriah's success or safety on the roads of the 49th state.

I'm wondering if they are the swim skirts from hydrochic. They look very similar to me.

Where exactly in Alaska are they going? Alaskans, help me out here: I remember, years ago, having read about traveling the trans-Alaskan highway, and the kinds of emergency supplies and replacement parts that the law requires to be on a vehicle before it's let onto the highway.

I don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling about Uriah's success or safety on the roads of the 49th state.

The commenter who left the "wish" said Fairbanks/North Pole. I don't think you can drive to North Pole. You can drive to Faibanks. We flew into Anchorage and drove south to Seaward and about 50 miles north of Anchorage. This was in late August and we really didn't feel comfortable going any further in a rental car.

The commenter who left the "wish" said Fairbanks/North Pole. I don't think you can drive to North Pole. You can drive to Faibanks. We flew into Anchorage and drove south to Seaward and about 50 miles north of Anchorage. This was in late August and we really didn't feel comfortable going any further in a rental car.

You can drive to North Pole. It's on the Richardson, I believe. I live in Anchorage and have never actually driven to Fairbanks, I always fly up for work. North Pole school district is near Fairbanks.

(psst. it's Seward, not seaward. Seward was the guy who bought Alaska from the Russians. I think. )

And you should have totally driven more than 50 miles north. The terrain changes and it actually looks like Alaska, instead of just about any other rural part of North America.

Just getting my usual Maxwell fix, their latest blog post is about their conference in Charlotte NC. With all the talk lately about the Maxwell conferences running slightly dry, and not so many happening, this part of the blog caught my attention (written by the lovely John people :) )

The conference itself was a blessing. We had a good group of folks show up. I admit, although a bit stoic in the beginning, they warmed up in the end.

Now I had to look up "stoic" - this is a definition I found online:

of or pertaining to the school of philosophy founded by Zeno, who taught that people should be free from passion, unmoved by joy or grief, and submit without complaint to unavoidable necessity.

Now this to me sounds like the Maxwells themselves, not the conference goers! But looking at the post, do you think it means the people this time were not really "feeling" the Maxwells? Not really getting them? Not expressing joy and, most importantly, agreement in everything the Maxwells said? I just wonder because we normally get "we were so welcomed, everyon was so blessed and encouraged, we have produced lasting fruit blah blah blah" - do you think they had their first conference where they met some closed doors or maybe even critism/sceptisism of their beliefs?

I was just coming here to post.

What got me was this (from John);

"After set up, we ate dinner. Some of the ladies from the local homeschool group made the meal. I don’t know if North Carolina qualifies as the south (in my book it does), but that southern cooking was fantastic. Personally, I would rank it as one of the best on-the-road meals, that we have had."

Now, I hate to snark on the handsome John, but in whose book is North Carolina NOT in the south?

Is this a failure of the SOTDRT?

And how difficult is it reporting on conferences that Sarah needed a break?

John likes to eat, anyone of our single gals here wanna make John a nice "Southern" meal?(Poor John wasn't sure if North Carolina is considered the south poor,dumb thing...)

Maybe the word "North" just throws him slightly. In fact I am shocked the post was allowed by Stevey - Sarahs always so positive, whereas John, to me sounded honest :)

I'll have him round for dinner and show him some even better dinner :D

I thought the same thing....um yeah North Carolina is in the south, John. SOTDRT fail!

I also felt the same about John's post feeling more real, or honest. He might need to edit the line where he says the important thing was that he liked the food and the fellowship. Sounds a little too worldly for Papa Maxwell's liking. He might have to eat Wheat Thins alone in Uriah for his next meal.

I think when I was in, like, 2nd grade I thought "North Carolina" was part of the north and "South Carolina" was part of the south.

I think when I was in, like, 2nd grade I thought "North Carolina" was part of the north and "South Carolina" was part of the south.

I think I kept thinking this way until as an adult I read Elsie Dinsmore. (The Dinsmore plantation is in NC.) Sometimes people just aren't good at geography.

They were in Charlotte, NC?! I should have taken an overnight trip and had a FJ meet up at the conference with other NC free jingerians. I had no clue they were going to be in NC. I hate I missed them. And yes, this is the south. LOL

They were in Charlotte, NC?! I should have taken an overnight trip and had a FJ meet up at the conference with other NC free jingerians. I had no clue they were going to be in NC. I hate I missed them. And yes, this is the south. LOL

Too bad you missed them as Lisa Metzger was there too!

I don’t know if North Carolina qualifies as the south (in my book it does), but that southern cooking was fantastic

As my Auntie Mamie Lee would say, "Bless his heart, he doesn't know he's stupid."

It was nice to "hear" from Johnny. This is the first time I remember him posting. His writing sounds rather like a 5th grader writing a homework paper. :( Glad he enjoyed his dinner! Hope he had a nice dessert, too. Not just animal crackers.

Archived