IGNORED

BOOK REVIEW: "The Power of a Transformed Wife"

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

I was going to leave a comment on Amazon, letting them know that Lori is threatening legal action and looking up personal information on people who give her a negative review. Since I would be a "verified purchase" reviewer, it instantly directed me to my recent Amazon purchases, one of which would most likely disclose who I am. Can everybody see that?  I'm trying to decide if I'm up for a fight with Ken and Lori.  I mean, I have no doubt they'd be coming after the wrong person and they would be nothing more than an annoying gnat for me. But is it worth it???  Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. 

I think it is very important for Amazon to know that one of their authors is behaving in such a threatening and vindictive manner so I might just go for it.  Maybe I'll just wait until I leave my own review and sit back and wait for the legal summons to arrive. 

Seriously, Ken and Lori; if you want a fight, choose carefully. 

You can make your profile settings private to better control what is and isn't shared. 

eta: I notice Lori has completed ignored Jilly's comment highlighting one benefit of consent --

I love that my Beloved asked me if he could kiss me before he did, he is such a Gentleman. Not once did he ever behave in an unGodly way i love that about him he has never asked me to do anything that would leave me feeling unworthy of love or uncomfortable in my role as a wife or woman. I thank God daily for my Hubby, he is a big blessing. 

Yeah, can't have consent being labeled as godly when Lori is too busy supporting rape culture and doxxing innocent bystanders! 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Hisey said:

No offense, but I think it's "8-year old". I don't believe there is ever a reason to put a hyphen between "year" and "old."

It's an 8-year-old kid who is 8 years old.

Hyphenate the compound adjective.

Seriously though, I've read the comments, and Lori was practically salivating to get that woman's name.  Wonder what she plans to do with it....

33 minutes ago, polecat said:

You can make your profile settings private to better control what is and isn't shared. 

I figured out how to do this because of my review- I wanted to make sure I am as locked down as possible. (I hope I am!)

Go to your amazon profile then go to edit profile - remove anything you don't want shown from this tab (for example: I removed my location) and then go to "edit privacy settings" and I clicked "hide all activity on your profile" and unchecked everything above it. ("Hide sensitive activity" was already checked on my account, I think that is default because amazon explains that hides personal purchases such as hygiene products to products sexual in nature)

19 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

Many style sheets recommend writing out numbers below 10, resulting in an eight-year-old child. This is a matter of style rather than correctness. Consistency is what matters. I intend to start paying attention to that in Lori's writing so I can snark about it. She bugs me just that much.

3 minutes ago, molecule said:

Many style sheets recommend writing out numbers below 10, resulting in an eight-year-old child. This is a matter of style rather than correctness. Consistency is what matters. I intend to start paying attention to that in Lori's writing so I can snark about it. She bugs me just that much.

I'm in journalism mode this morning, correcting papers, and AP Style uses numerals for all ages. I'm with you on consistency being the key.

1 hour ago, older than allosaurs said:

You're right! Learned something today.  I always thought it was an "8-year old kid who is 8 years old."

I think her overt persecution of Mary Ann is one of those self deprecating hang ups. Rape, in their world, indicates that a woman did something wrong.  The only scenarios in which rape happens is:  A. the man is a monster and just does awful, horrid things-period or B.  she temped him way too much and he couldn't control his urges. aka, she asked for it.  Given that the guy she wrote about wasn't a psycho (because he stopped when she said stop, albeit by her own admission he was angry) that means she is admitting to having been a temptress.  Her failings fall on her parents who allowed she and her siblings to date and wear "inappropriate" clothing.  She takes all the blame for anything amiss all on herself.  

Her anger at the appropriate verbiage Mary Ann used fired her up the same way the Duggar's get fired up over anyone mentioning that their son is/was a molester in some form or fashion.  The term is technically correct but in their context, because he was ignorant for whatever reason ("normal" male) then the verbiage MUST be:  Wrong Choices.  Lori can't allow someone to say the word 'rape' in any context regarding her, it would mean she lead him on...she caused what happened and would have to address that shame and internal degradation.  Because he stopped when she said stop...no wrong doing occurred...in her world he did exactly what a young man should do given the circumstances the choice to "allow" it fell directly on her.  

53 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

I'm in journalism mode this morning, correcting papers, and AP Style uses numerals for all ages. I'm with you on consistency being the key.

I've been grading college composition papers, where numbers below 10 are written out. :)

I don't see anywhere in the Bible that your babies must sleep with you or that you can't allow them to cry or you must wait until they are one years old to discipline. 

Lori is one of those insufferably obnoxious people who uses the Bible as reference– or not– as it's convenient. 

Here's a few other things the Bible also doesn't discuss.

• Cars
  • Social Media
  • Blogging
  • Dentistry

She is just so hateful, spoiled, and willfully ignorant.  

She posted another notebook doodle.  People (nicely) disagreed with her, so she put on her privilege blinders and argued them (something she says a feminine woman should never do):

Lori:

If a wife loses her husband, you think it would be good for the children to lose their mother to a full-time job? It's the last thing that should happen. Either relatives or the church should support her or she prays and asks the Lord to show her how to make money from home. God wants her home with her children and what He commands He provides but it takes trusting Him. He is able.

1) I know of exactly one church that supports widows.  One.  

2) I know TONS of people whose relatives can't afford to support them and a houseful of children.  Does she even think about things like medical insurance? There's more to life that just putting a few extra plates on the table.  Raising kids is expensive no matter how you slice it.  I know a handful of people that could actually afford to take on an entire family and support them.  There willingness to do so, is another story altogether.

3)  She talks about working from home, but she never provides examples of jobs that pay enough to support a family and offers health insurance.

If God provides what he commands, then why are so many widows going without?  Is she so ignorant that she thinks people don't get their power shut off or go to bed hungry?

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Seriously though, I've read the comments, and Lori was practically salivating to get that woman's name.  Wonder what she plans to do with it....

Probably do her best to contact people the woman knows and humiliate her. But in the end, Lori will be the one looking like a fool. "She left a bad review on the book I wrote" is going to make Lori look like the crazy person. 

Lori wrote this morning "No, I am not going to go after all of the negative reviews of my book anymore. It’s all in the Lord’s hands!".   Let's see how long this lasts.....

17 minutes ago, Koala said:

3)  She talks about working from home, but she never provides examples of jobs that pay enough to support a family and offers health insurance.

I thought of one but then you left the caveat that it needed to offer health insurance too. The oldest profession in world does not provide health insurance.

And I would like to know how is working from home trying to balance a job and kids and possibly homeschooling not being there for your kids. I mean come on- yes the widow may physically be at the house but s/he would not be there mentally. Verses many jobs you can leave at the door of the employer when you walk out. Or if you are a teacher you could get lucky and be in the district your kids attend and still have the same time together and get a good education.

What does All Mighty Lori say men must do if they are left widowed? Marry the first "Christian" lady that comes along?

12 minutes ago, Colby said:

Lori wrote this morning "No, I am not going to go after all of the negative reviews of my book anymore. It’s all in the Lord’s hands!".   Let's see how long this lasts.....

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

(I know, we're not supposed to reply with just an emoji, but I really just can't stop laughing at this)

28 minutes ago, Loveday said:

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

(I know, we're not supposed to reply with just an emoji, but I really just can't stop laughing at this)

Yeah...but that is my favorite emoji EVER. I wish I could use it on Facebook, in texting, Instagram....EVERYTHING! 

Pardon my lack of recall at the moment, but was "Mary Ann" the woman who left the super thoughtful and thorough review and recommended a few Christian authors at the end (Wendy Alsup and Jen Wilkin) as good alternatives to Lori's writing? I definitely appreciated her input but I can't find it anymore.

31 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Yeah...but that is my favorite emoji EVER. I wish I could use it on Facebook, in texting, Instagram....EVERYTHING! 

If I could use it on Facebook, my life would be complete. :laughing-rolling:

CHAPTER TEN: Birth Control and Having Children

This chapter is basically what you'd expect from Lori.  Having babies is mandated by God.  Many babies are possible for a married couple because men are almost always ready for sex. 

She warns against birth control pills because they "stop a normal bodily function, which is the woman's monthly period, and some pills can even abort the egg if it's been fertilized." Um...not all oral contraceptives stop a woman's period.  It is my understanding that the "mini pill," which contains only progestin will likely stop menstruation.  A regimen of the combination pill, which contains estrogen and progestin, will allow the woman to menstruate during the last seven days of the pill cycle.  Also, the whole idea of the pill "aborting the egg" is highly debated. 

Lori should not be giving advice if she is not diligent enough to do the research on these issues and then share the information in great detail. 

She mentions that a diaphragm comes with a warning about cancer.  Then she lists a few types of birth control and the side effects of each. She discusses sterilization, vasectomy, IUD, birth control pills, condoms and natural family planning. 

According to Lori, birth control measures "come with health risks and unwanted side effects, and some take the fun and spontaneity out of making love..." but each couple should decide for themselves with the husband having the final say.

Lori gives this piece of advice "Outside of your marriage, you must not approach couples and tell them how many children they should have.  It's none of your business."  I really like how Lori is against giving unwanted advice and butting into the marriages of others.  That's a really great rule to live by.  Maybe she should start a blog in which she writes posts that don't include telling others what to do in their marriage. 

She ends this chapter with a post from her blog and mentions the great diaphragm destruction.  After telling her readers how she poked a hole in her diaphragm, she says this "Now I don't recommend using deceit to get your way.  I wasn't a submissive wife back then, but I did get to stay home."  So, basically...yeah, it was kind of sneaky, but I got what I wanted so I don't regret it.  She then tells us that nothing is worth harming the relationship between husband and wife and that she should have waited and trusted in God in this matter.  I thought Ken told us that he and Lori had a good laugh over her sabotaging their birth control.  If that's the case, why would she feel the need to mention it being harmful?  I find it hard to believe that Ken wasn't pretty angry to learn of his wife's deceit in this matter.   The level of sneaking and lying she sunk to is just astonishing to me. It's just so immature and controlling, I can't wrap my mind around it.  But she has freely admitted that she always gets her way.  I guess she can't really say she regrets it because that would be like saying she regrets her second child; however, she's never seemed concerned with sparing her children's feelings. 

Next up: The Dating Scene and Sexual Purity. 

Lori would have a heart attack if she saw my profile, because my Amazon Smile charity is Planned Parenthood.

another winner from Ken "A stay at home mom’s job isn’t that exhausting unless she makes that way and has many, many children...Certainly we men need to be faithful in doing what we can to show our love and consideration for our wives, but it does them no service to talk about exhausting jobs as SAHM’s unless shes has 3-4 young children running around."

While Mr. Bonkers would prefer me not to get a full-time job while the little Bonkers are...little, I was able to find a good balance. I do part time work at the COLLEGE I attend! (my work hours are while the little Bonkers are in school) So if, heaven forbid, Mr. Bonkers kicks it prematurely , I've got a degree to fall back on.

and this lovely  little thing called insurance . 

1 hour ago, Showtunesgirl said:

Pardon my lack of recall at the moment, but was "Mary Ann" the woman who left the super thoughtful and thorough review and recommended a few Christian authors at the end (Wendy Alsup and Jen Wilkin) as good alternatives to Lori's writing? I definitely appreciated her input but I can't find it anymore.

I believe she deleted all her comments on Amazon because Lori and leghumpers are doing her.

---

@usmcmom & @Loveday

I too want this emoji:laughing-rolling: outside of FJ too!!

Some of them are being pretty snotty (and ignorant) on the sahm FB post.  "Well there's a thing called life insurance".

Umm yeah, there's also a thing called long term illness and disability.  Life insurance doesn't pay out for those things.

Look- I get it.  I am a sahm myself.  I haven't worked in almost 20 years.  That said, I realize there are risks, and I don't expect everyone else to be willing to incur them just because I do. 

If staying at home is worth the risk to you, so be it.  If someone else thinks it's too high a risk, that's their choice to make.  And it's okay.  Different things work for different families.  

On another note, she's plugging her book again on FB:

People have left reviews on Amazon that have said that my book is the same as my blog. I have been asked if this is true. No, it's not. All of my chapters are brand new but the theme of my book is Titus 2:3-5 as is my blog. At the end of some chapters are some of my most favorite posts. I had amazing editors help me so you get some of their insights too. I have given this book to women who are not Christians and even they like it. It is not offensive in any way as some would suggest. Yes, it speaks Truth but in a way that even may convict and challenge unbelievers without causing them to dislike Christianity but be drawn to it instead because doing life God's way is SO good.

1) If the book isn't the same as the blog, why did Lori ask sheeple people who had never read the book to leave her a 5 star review?

2) I don't really think you can make a blanket statement that no one is offended by your book.  I think the fact that it has so many negative reviews speaks to that fact.  Whether someone finds something offensive or not is a matter of perspective.  

3) Guess we know what the Alexanders are giving for Christmas this year...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived