IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Pt. 3: Fundie Cat Fights, Ahoy

FundieFarmer

On 12/16/2016 at 10:14 AM, fundiefan said:

John Morton commented on Bret's post that it's such a blessing.

Evidently, there isn't as big a rift between the Smiths & Mortons as we've all come to think/imagine.

I can't say why, really, but I find that disappointing.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when I went to look at that comment it immediately came off to me as sarcastic, particularly since bret didn't reply or like it.  "Wow what a blessing" from a young adult just strikes me as a deadpan, snarky statement. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Capt'n Bret is so very special to his god that a few prayers brought back the email & Internet that were down for a couple of days.

Sorry, people of the world who are sick, suffering, in life altering situations. God couldn't answer your prayers because he was too busy turning the Smith's Internet back on.

Apparently in the last six months the 'stacks' have double up for the Smith clan. Or, at least Capt'n Bret.

In other news, I am probably reading too much into it, but there were pictures shared by people connected to the situation of the courthouse yesterday.

And Jacque posted on FB on Sunday after weeks of silence (again).

Probably means nothing, could mean something.

Most importantly, Capt'n Bret is still a special, special man who is the best Christian ever. Last week he posted about Jesus carrying the cross and prophesy and failure and...well, I don't do his religion so I don't understand it but I got the impression he was claiming he is like Jesus and if you aren't you can come to him for help.

The man is so sick in the head and makes me want to vomit.

6 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

In other news, I am probably reading too much into it, but there were pictures shared by people connected to the situation of the courthouse yesterday.

I wouldn't make much of that-- in a smallish county seat town, the courthouse is usually a pretty central landmark, something that you might go past a few times a day, and the biggest/ most picturesque building around.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:37 PM, Bethella said:

I'm at work so I don't have the list, but IIRC the first was really premature (like 3 or 4 months early?). I don't know if they have insurance or scamaritan, they might even *gasp* use government assistance. I think this baby will be fine, he was only a few weeks early.

Her first was like 12 wks premature and spend months in NICU. The second only went to term because Bethany spent weeks on hospital bed rest, and was still 2-3 weeks early. 

I didn't actually realize they'd had a third, much less a fourth, but somehow I'm not surprised.

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Capt'n Bret is so very special to his god that a few prayers brought back the email & Internet that were down for a couple of days.

Sorry, people of the world who are sick, suffering, in life altering situations. God couldn't answer your prayers because he was too busy turning the Smith's Internet back on.

Apparently in the last six months the 'stacks' have double up for the Smith clan. Or, at least Capt'n Bret.

And Jacque posted on FB on Sunday after weeks of silence (again).

Probably means nothing, could mean something.

Most importantly, Capt'n Bret is still a special, special man who is the best Christian ever. Last week he posted about Jesus carrying the cross and prophesy and failure and...well, I don't do his religion so I don't understand it but I got the impression he was claiming he is like Jesus and if you aren't you can come to him for help.

The man is so sick in the head and makes me want to vomit.

@fundiefan, I really have to thank you, because again you managed to speak right from my heart. But in much better words!

I have to admit, I can not deal with their profiles anymore. At least not when I'm sober.

18 hours ago, fundiefan said:

When I was 13 I flirted with Christianity, after a charismatic Evangelist preacher came to my school - but I just couldn't, even at that age, believe in a God that would eg listen to my prayers and help me pass an exam I hadn't studied enough for, or give me the things I wanted, but ignore the people starving, suffering, dying around the world. I never had a proper explanation for that.

Katie has her own Facebook page now (or did she always?) with this on it:

Katie Smith I wanted to say Thank you for each person who has helped,prayed and walked with us in the difficult trial. Thank you so much. I have found first hand that God is faithful. He is the Wonderful Councilor. He is the Almighty God the everlasting Father and the Prince of peace.Trusting him and giving your life to Him is a safe investment. He is the Healer. He is the Restorer. What the enemy meant for evil. He will turn it around for good.

51 minutes ago, cami said:

Katie has her own Facebook page now (or did she always?) with this on it:

Katie Smith I wanted to say Thank you for each person who has helped,prayed and walked with us in the difficult trial. Thank you so much. I have found first hand that God is faithful. He is the Wonderful Councilor. He is the Almighty God the everlasting Father and the Prince of peace.Trusting him and giving your life to Him is a safe investment. He is the Healer. He is the Restorer. What the enemy meant for evil. He will turn it around for good.

The extent to which I don't care about the "God, God, God" stuff with so much at stake is profound. I just want confirmation that she's kicking Alan's ass to the curb and setting a good example for the people around her! Is that too much to ask? 

Rhetorical question. Of course it is. 

42 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

That's not how I read it. I read it as she has forgiven Alan.

Yeah, that's my fear as well. I'm perhaps overly optimistic.

40 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I guess you can forgive someone and still cut them out of your life. I assume there's no hope of him getting out of jail anytime soon so I can't imagine how she could strike up much of a relationship when she has 8 yong children to take care of and no job. I see her as saying she has clung hard to religion like so many fundies do. 

46 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Yeah, that's my fear as well. I'm perhaps overly optimistic.

That's how I read it, and how I've interpreted most of the tidbits over the last several months.

When she is called a great godly woman and the like, the only thing I see is "god says you can't divorce your husband even if he rapes a child. You have been a perfect godly wife in your forgiveness and marriage". 

She hasn't really made any steps towards independent live - she & her kids are all living with her parents & unmarried siblings. Her parents moved back to the US & set up house for her & the kids. But, they are all just living in that house as if biding their time. 

I realize we don't know or see details, but not even random IG pictures show any kind of life development or change. 

I have had a feeling for a while (based on nothing but what I see and know of them, no facts obviously) that they're just waiting it all out with the intent of 'repairing' the family or some other bullshit designed to forgive a child molestor and keep a woman and children in bondage to him.

I believe (want to believe?) that she's thankful for the family members/friends/gofundme donors who gave her the resources to get through the last few months without having to worry about food or shelter, but she completely lacks the language to articulate those feelings so she just repeats some sunday school one-liners. It's all she knows how to do. I don't see (want to see?) any indication that she's forgiven the pedo rapist.

She's just so tragic to me. Her parents did something horrible to her by raising her the way they did.

39 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

I believe (want to believe?) that she's thankful for the family members/friends/gofundme donors who gave her the resources to get through the last few months without having to worry about food or shelter, but she completely lacks the language to articulate those feelings so she just repeats some sunday school one-liners. It's all she knows how to do. I don't see (want to see?) any indication that she's forgiven the pedo rapist.

She's just so tragic to me. Her parents did something horrible to her by raising her the way they did.

I fully acknowledge that this fact creates a huge bias in my impression of things. There is not one ounce of her make up that has the courage, self serving respect or desire to take control and do what needs to be done, entirely outside her religion. Her religion is not separate from or even a part of her existence. She is her religion; she is what her parents created her to be which is all consuming, awful bible interpretation, patriarchy, a made up god. There was never any Katie as person, ever. Thinking that now there would be just doesn't seem possible.

I'd give anything to be wrong but her parents created a mindless wife & breeder. I don't know how she would even know there is another way to be. 

I don't think we have enough info to read anything particular into that statement. She is likely just saying "thank God for all the people that have helped me out recently." Or "this has been a hard time but things are starting to get better." If she is finding some kind of peace after all this, good for her. Doesn't necessarily mean she's diminishing what happened or covering it up.

I will also say, in the pictures of her that family has posted recently, she looks great. It probably feels good to be free of that scumbag.

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Speaking of trials (!), any word on the fate of the perp?  Hearings?  Trial date?

My biggest fear is that they somehow got the victim to recant and charges have been dropped.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from Katie. She was raised to believe that her father is her boss until marriage then her husband takes over. Now her husband is in jail and she's gone back to living with her parents. Her dad is her boss again. She gave birth right after he went to jail. She has 8 young kids. She has no job history or skills beyond childcare and sewing. Her entire life was turned completely upside down 6 months ago. She's probably just been going through the motions and taking care of her kids these past few months. What else was she going to do? She's doing exactly what I expected her to do. And the larger family is doing what I expected them to do. To fight and take sides. The only surprise is they did some of it on fb. 

17 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

That is my biggest fear! And sadly that is in the realm of possibilities.

16 hours ago, fundiefan said:

That's how I read it, and how I've interpreted most of the tidbits over the last several months.

When she is called a great godly woman and the like, the only thing I see is "god says you can't divorce your husband even if he rapes a child. You have been a perfect godly wife in your forgiveness and marriage". 

She hasn't really made any steps towards independent live - she & her kids are all living with her parents & unmarried siblings. Her parents moved back to the US & set up house for her & the kids. But, they are all just living in that house as if biding their time. 

I realize we don't know or see details, but not even random IG pictures show any kind of life development or change. 

I have had a feeling for a while (based on nothing but what I see and know of them, no facts obviously) that they're just waiting it all out with the intent of 'repairing' the family or some other bullshit designed to forgive a child molestor and keep a woman and children in bondage to him.

I don't think she has ever learned to make any steps towards an independent life. She was raised to be a helpmeet and broodmare and that's what she is. And even if Katie was a worldly, educated woman that has lived an independet life I would not expect her to be a single, working mom of 8 kiddos only 6 months after having all hell break loose.

Forgiving Alan is one thing, resuming any kind of life with him, especially a life that includes access to their children, is another.

Hoping that forgiveness is all that's going on here.

Agree with everyone here who's pointed out that Katie has very few choices in this situation that will comport with the toxic belief system she's been raised in. Credit to her family for rallying around her but brickbats to them for creating this nightmare, in large part.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived