IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Pt. 3: Fundie Cat Fights, Ahoy

FundieFarmer

Bret has a history of saying that repenting solves problems and there should be no other consequence. For his type of Christian, of course. He is all full of many forms of consequence and 'suffering' for people who commit his version of crimes and no amount or repentance could save one from Bret's version of justice.

Child abuser friends of his were on the run, with help from he and his wife, because they were being persecuted - the state was charging them with abuse but in Bret's world, that's persecution and nothing else. Because the child doesn't matter; the abuse doesn't matter. The poor "Christian" is being persecuted because his/her 'repentance' isn't enough for the secular legal system...

Reality is so twisted in his head that he has zero concept of it anymore.

For all the fundies/people talked about here - of those I personally participate in discussion with/about - there are six men/bubbles created by me who make me want to vomit whenever I think of them...

Steve Maxwell

Steven Anderson

Dough Phillips is a Tool

Bill Gothard

Bret Smith

Russ the dick

Of course there are plenty I disagree with and would enjoy smacking and who astonish me and piss me off, but these six walking penises make my skin crawl so badly it's often painful.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From everything I've read about pedophilia, it doesn't just pop up in a person's life.  A pedophile may not act on the desires until they are older. They may never act on them at all.  But the need, want, desire, impetus is, and always was, there. That's why convicted pedophiles are required to.stay away from children.

Is Alan a true pedophile (clinical definition)?  Don't know.

Is Alan merely modelling behavior that he was taught at - and seen at - home?  That this is how a person is initiated (as a child) into the world of sex?  Does he really believe this is the way the rest of the world operates and that what he did was normal?  Didn't he know it was illegal as well as immoral?   Don't know.

No question that what Alan is accused of is vile, disgusting, horrible, etc, etc., etc.  No question that if he is guilty he should be under the jail for a 100+ years, no matter the reason.

But the Why behind it interest me.  Pedophile or a brain washed man whose soul and psyche were completely twisted and warped by a toxic, evil upbringing in a toxic home, run by an evil man?

Is he a victim who in turn victimized others, because he really didn't know any better?  

Not white knighting Alan at all (he deserves what he gets), but is it possible that his father set all of this in motion many years ago.

The more I see and read about Capt'n Bret and the more I read of his horrible drivel,  the more I think that he is the root of all this evil.

Lurky, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, not my intent at all.  And I apologize to you and anyone else I offended.

I'm not speculating about the victims of abuse at all.  My questions are trying is make sense (if that's even possible) of why Alan did what he seems to have done.

There are studies that men who physically abuse their wives and children often grew up in homes where that happened.

Are there studies along the same lines about sexual abusers? 

9 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Lurky, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, not my intent at all.  And I apologize to you and anyone else I offended.

I'm not speculating about the victims of abuse at all.  My questions are trying is make sense (if that's even possible) of why Alan did what he seems to have done.

I completely get where you're coming from, and I absolutely don't want to come over as having a go at you - and I'm really sorry if I sound harsh, I just find this so difficult to talk about.  It's really hard, isn't it, because I absolutely understand, and am with you, on wanting to try to make sense of something so awful.

But I don't see how that question can be asked without speculating about other victims, because if there was witnessing, eg, there was something to witness, you know?  I completely get that I have a different bar for what speculating is, and that I could be a total outlier on this (and wrong, too), but I feel personally that it would be bad for us as a site to be talking about that - especially before a court case even starts.  There are just too many unknowns, and I'd really hate for people to see us speculating about them.  

(I agree that Captain Brett is most likely the root, and I loathe the experimenting on children for his own ego.  We've seen that these families seem to see child molestation/abuse as normalised in their circles, and wow, that would give me so much pause as a parent, to say "what is going on?" and doing everything I could to prevent my children being victims and perpetrators)

The rules specify that we do not speculate on minors/kidults when it comes to abuse. Alan is an adult and therefore, as uncomfortable as it is, it doesn't break a rule.

I believe that there are statistics about the cycle of abuse, which is what I think you're getting at here.

Addie's latest IG post has a caption that shows pretty decent Spanish skills. I mean I'm not fluent myself, but she seems comfortable with her grammar and has better-than-101 vocabulary. I know there was some speculation as to whether they were actually learning Spanish down in Paraguay, so I'm glad to see that she got the chance to study for real and learn some useful skills that go beyond stay-at-home daughter busywork.

I think what bothers me about Cap'n Bret's wall'o'text is that he says there's no need for remorse in repentance. 

So, as long as you acknowledge what you did was wrong, it's okay if you aren't sorry for it.

That's pretty damn sociopathic. 

There is a new video up on his youtube. For those that loved *cough* the older one of his kids doing synchronized dancing, you'll love this one. All the kids still trapped at home dancing and Bret singing with his whiney, smarmy voice. I am on my tablet and for the life of me can't figure out how to copy the youtube url.

That "turn the heart of the father toward his children" verse (or a variation of it) was the header of Alan and Katie's old blog, and the Cap'n also posted it on FB before Thanksgiving. Do these fooligans only know one Bible verse?

Watching Sitara in that dance made me want to cry (the tall daughter). How in the world are these evil families allowed to adopt. 

ETA: I feel awful for all the kids, including favored and much praised slave-daughter Madi. Sitara just looks particularly miserable. 

No words for that video - I never know what these things are for.  Well, of course, there's this little gem in the intro.  No passive aggressiveness here, not trying to send messages to his wayward daughters, oh NO!   

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 10.09.58.png

But I can't imagine what he thinks they'd achieve.  None of the little kids look like they're enjoying it at all, and I'm with @usedbicycle, Sitara looks especially unhappy. 

It's a standard Captain Brett approach - he's the one enjoying himself most, and the kids just seem like they're anxiously trying to remember the steps.  I don't know if it's because they don't rehearse much, or if he's a bad director, or they all just really really hate doing these, but it's been consistent throughout all these I've seen.

It's all about his ego, but with all the millions of restrictions on the children's lives, getting them to make bad pop videos is a really strange thing to allow...

14 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I believe that there are statistics about the cycle of abuse, which is what I think you're getting at here.

Plenty.  Here's one. http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/179/6/482

Conclusions The data support the notion of a victim-to-victimiser cycle in a minority of male perpetrators but not among the female victims studied. Sexual abuse by a female in childhood may be a risk factor for a cycle of abuse in males.

The take-home message from all the reliable empirical studies I've come across is that childhood abuse (including sexual abuse) does not mean that the victim will become an abuser in adulthood.  It is, at most, a risk factor not a predictor.  Also, not all abusers (including sexual abusers) were abused as children.

When it comes down to it I think some people were just born with a screw loose.  Non-clinically speaking, of course.

Sitara was adopted domestically when she was 7 or so. She knows life outside the Smith bubble. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding her being available to adopt in the first place, she knows what it's like to not be a Bret Smith puppet/not be pimped out for his crap.

I can't imagine that being healthy at all. With the other kids, they were international adoptions and while their adjustments were no doubt even harder than Sitara's because of cultural issues, at least when they adjusted to Smith life, they don't know that it's not normal US life. Sitara does know and has lived the difference.

Her face and lackluster 'performance' in that video seriously and honestly brought tears to my eyes.

6 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Sitara was adopted domestically when she was 7 or so. She knows life outside the Smith bubble. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding her being available to adopt in the first place, she knows what it's like to not be a Bret Smith puppet/not be pimped out for his crap.

I can't imagine that being healthy at all. With the other kids, they were international adoptions and while their adjustments were no doubt even harder than Sitara's because of cultural issues, at least when they adjusted to Smith life, they don't know that it's not normal US life. Sitara does know and has lived the difference.

Her face and lackluster 'performance' in that video seriously and honestly brought tears to my eyes.

Sitara was also the one causing a lot of problems with her behavior in the past few years but Jackie posted at some point this year that she's doing much better. She probably gave up and is now just doing what they say and her light has now been stamped out. Hopefully she's just biding her time until her 18th birthday when she tells her parents to fuck off and goes to live with an older sister. That's my secret hope.

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sitara was also the one causing a lot of problems with her behavior in the past few years but Jackie posted at some point this year that she's doing much better. She probably gave up and is now just doing what they say and her light has now been stamped out. Hopefully she's just biding her time until her 18th birthday when she tells her parents to fuck off and goes to live with an older sister. That's my secret hope.

That seriously just fucking breaks my heart.

That girl has had nothing but shit thrown at her all her life. Knowing what Bret thinks of corporal punishment, and his cries that child abuse charges are 'persecution' - - it's god's discipline, don't you know - -I ache thinking how that poor girl 'fell in line'.

That's only the second Bret video I've seen.  That poor man has lost whatever mind he ever had.

You have to wonder that Jackie doesn't see videos like this and take him aside to say, "Honey, I know you're the head of our household and all... but you are EMBARRASSING us."

Poor Sitara.  How old is she now?  The boys seem to be trying to remember their steps and Madara is the only one looking truly happy to be there.  Flee Sitara.  Flee!  Find your birth certificate and other legal records and run away. 

14 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

That "turn the heart of the father toward his children" verse (or a variation of it) was the header of Alan and Katie's old blog, and the Cap'n also posted it on FB before Thanksgiving. Do these fooligans only know one Bible verse?

Fooligans!! Hee-heh. Love it!!

In a more just world, Bret would have been encouraged, or at least permitted to follow his passion for musical theater. He would have moved to NYC in his late teens, gotten a role as a chorus boy in community theater productions while supporting himself by waiting tables or answering phones, until he got his big break on Broadway. He wouldn't have had to inflict this humiliation on his children. Most likely he wouldn't have had children. In short, the world would be a somewhat better place.

12 hours ago, JMO said:

Poor Sitara.  How old is she now?  The boys seem to be trying to remember their steps and Madara is the only one looking truly happy to be there.  Flee Sitara.  Flee!  Find your birth certificate and other legal records and run away. 

She's 13 or 14.

On 1.12.2016 at 11:04 PM, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Addie's latest IG post has a caption that shows pretty decent Spanish skills. I mean I'm not fluent myself, but she seems comfortable with her grammar and has better-than-101 vocabulary. I know there was some speculation as to whether they were actually learning Spanish down in Paraguay, so I'm glad to see that she got the chance to study for real and learn some useful skills that go beyond stay-at-home daughter busywork.

Addie was always interested in learning other languages. I remember an old blog post where she was talking about learning french. Good for her that she now learns spanish. If you are willing and open about learning it is so easy to learn languages, especially spanish and especially if you are living in an enviroment where the desired language is spoken.

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

A part of me hopes the same - that she will get away from Bret and Jackie. Although I don't know wether her older sisters would be the best choice. They all will have tons of children at that point and she'd end up being a helpmeet to them. And let's face it - even if she enjoyed more freedom and people would care more about her, none of her older sister would send her to college. Maybe she would be allowed to have a paying job outside the family when money is tight due to the quiver full of children her sisters produced over the years.

FREE SITARA!!!!!!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived