IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Even then, it only takes a couple of days for the results to come in. At my job (as a camp counselor) they accepted everyone and just told us to get fingerprinted before orientation. 

Seconding this. I've never had a job that didn't involve children and it's never taken longer than a day for my boss to get my results.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill? Taking a Bible class? And writing a research paper for it? And being smart enough to have her husband proofread it for her? 

IMG_3149.PNG

Any idea on where this class is held and why she may be taking it? I'm guessing it's just for fun or enrichment, but I think it's good she's doing something to mentally stimulate herself.

Jill and Derrick are going hog wild! Man buns, substitute teaching, using slang, writing papers, sort of waiting awhile to get pregnant! It's mutiny!

I wonder what Derick thinks about Jill's research paper? Maybe this is exactly what he needed to see before  Jill starts homeschooling Izzy.

On a positive note, good for the Dillards for doing something with their lives beyond procreating. The others should all take note.

As a former sub (I now work in a school, but not as a teacher) I have to hand it to Derick for subbing in a high school. I only subbed in middle and elem because I don't have thick enough skin to handle HS. I'm sure Derick heard many a curse or sexual innuendo that would have horrified Duggar and Co. 

I went to a "good" rural school and the majority of kids were assholes to subs. Unfortunately I'm sure years later it's not too different.

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Do private schools have a sub system?

In my area the local Catholic schools (and charter schools) have access to the same sub list as the public schools- that's how they got my name. I suspect they might have had other people they called who weren't on the public schools' list but I'm not sure about that. You were more likely to get called by the Catholic schools if you were Catholic, although in my case since I was Christian (Methodist), knew the basics of Catholic theology and was wiling to teach religious education I did get called a couple of times a month. They were much nicer to work for than the local public schools.

I don't envy Derick the task of "kindly" proofreading Jill's paper.

I imagine it goes something like, "I see you've used the word "totally"  ten different times. Maybe we can substitute some other words." 

44 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder what Derick thinks about Jill's research paper? Maybe this is exactly what he needed to see before  Jill starts homeschooling Izzy.

On a positive note, good for the Dillards for doing something with their lives beyond procreating. The others should all take note.

Hopefully not too many of Jill's references are to "Daddy".

Good that Derick has a job outside of Duggar, Inc.  I think he may have chosen subbing because he can choose the days he's available to work (around the filming schedule and whatever else he considers important) and because there's no long-term commitment.

34 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

As a former sub (I now work in a school, but not as a teacher) I have to hand it to Derick for subbing in a high school. I only subbed in middle and elem because I don't have thick enough skin to handle HS. I'm sure Derick heard many a curse or sexual innuendo that would have horrified Duggar and Co. 

I went to a "good" rural school and the majority of kids were assholes to subs. Unfortunately I'm sure years later it's not too different.

I've subbed for all grades up to 10th, and I actually found middle school to be the hardest. High schoolers can be foul mouthed but for the most part, they're mature enough that you can have real conversations with them, reason with them, and even somewhat joke around with them without it getting too out of hand. The middle schoolers I worked with needed more of an iron fist, plus they're starting to discover the opposite sex and trying to impress each other.

17 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

There are a lot of things I fault this family for but I find it hard to be critical of a member of the duggar family doing an honest day's work. 

I'm not criticizing his choice to work - I actually think that teaching is probably the most useful job he's had in his adult life - I'm just finding it puzzling that his current chosen line of work is in something he was openly critical of only a short time ago. It's not like the concept of public schooling has changed dramatically in the past few months, so it's unclear to me why Derrick suddenly changed his mind about it and is now going all in. It's not necessarily a bad thing (though that depends on his motivations,) it just seems a little strange.

I wonder how he'll respond to having gay or transgender kids in class, or kids of a different religion. 

48 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I've subbed for all grades up to 10th, and I actually found middle school to be the hardest. High schoolers can be foul mouthed but for the most part, they're mature enough that you can have real conversations with them, reason with them, and even somewhat joke around with them without it getting too out of hand. The middle schoolers I worked with needed more of an iron fist, plus they're starting to discover the opposite sex and trying to impress each other.

Yeah, in the middle school I had some really tough days! I worked in one rough elementary school where the fifth graders seemed much older-- and not in a good way.

Maybe I would have had a simular experience to yours, @VineHeart137, but I just couldn't get the nerve to enter high school! Maybe it was an irrational fear! 

12 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

I think it was just a need for extra subs for the funeral. Arkansas has 2 types of subs and he would have fallen under the substitute catagory that only needs a HS diploma or GED plus a criminal background check. 

But doesn't it take some time to get a background check? He must have worked on this before their was a need. 

I have a college friend who's state requires 2 years of college before you can sub so she would sub during school breaks and then at the end of the year because college would get out sooner than the schools in the area. 

Another point. Derick probably only brought home $60 for the day. A sub in Little Rock makes $9.81 an hour.

I agree with you. Unless it's a very long period, subs are usually just brought in to pass on the teacher's lesson plan --these are decided well in advance -- and keep the kids from burning down the school while the teacher isn't looking. So what he thinks or his ability to teach wouldn't matter to anybody.

Much as I detest the jerk, have to give him credit for getting off his behind and putting in a day of work. Although now that I think of it, for him it might have been a blessed few hours away from his clingy wife and her family circus, and no one can fault him for it because he's working. Maybe like Ben studying in a coffee shop instead of setting up an area in some corner of the TTH or family warehouse.

I've got to admit that Derick is looking much better. In fact, this may be one of the few times I think a man bun works...

Tbh, I love how the bun looks on Derick. I hate it when men have such nice-looking buns and I can't do a tight one to save my life!

19 minutes ago, season of life said:

Tbh, I love how the bun looks on Derick. I hate it when men have such nice-looking buns and I can't do a tight one to save my life!

It looks greasy... yuck!

1 hour ago, season of life said:

I'm into the man bun too -- normally I'm not a huge fan but it's such an improvement on his long hair worn down. It actually does good things for his face, especially in profile.

I may be getting my hopes up, but it seems like Jill and Derrick are sort of doing their own thing. I'd love to see it continue, and for them to wait a while before they add another arrow to their quiver.

The man bun seems so out of place in Duggarville. I don't like man buns but it's better than the jeans and polo combo Jill's brothers have down pat. I hope JB hates it.

Maybe Derick and JB had some showdown behind the scenes. I wish!  

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Depends on whether it's just local or federal. Lots of places will let you start before the results are back. They probably shouldn't. I've started jobs and not been finger printed till a week later.

I had a job that took three weeks to get the results from my fingerprints, but they wouldn't let me start until I cleared since it was dealing with sensitive data.  I didn't realize some places let you start before your prints clear!

32 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I had a job that took three weeks to get the results from my fingerprints, but they wouldn't let me start until I cleared since it was dealing with sensitive data.  I didn't realize some places let you start before your prints clear!

I've worked at my current job for about three and a half years; when I started, I was able to job shadow while waiting for my prints as long as I wasn't alone with a client. The regs have since changed, and people being hired now can't even tour the sites or start orientation till their prints come back. So it depends not only on the place, but on what the rules are for your state at the time, which can change a lot in a fairly short period. 

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

What is all that crap on the floor? They have a toddler!

That is why you have crap on the floor. And everywhere else. At least my tods were fascinated by testing out gravity. It took them forever to confirm beyond doubt that even stuff in containers and baskets would all move downwards when turning the container upside down. Oh the look of power and triumph when they could magically make stuff move downward and could even force a nice 'thud' or 'crash'. They figured out that testing gravity was also an excellent way of getting parental attention. 

3 hours ago, foreign fundie said:
9 hours ago, Buzzard said:

What is all that crap on the floor? They have a toddler!

That is why you have crap on the floor.

That's exactly what I was going to say. :)

For us to have clean floors we'd have to move everything up to roof level and then lock up everything you could climb on. Sometimes I wonder what he's thinking about us always picking everything up. Probably ”Oh no! I just poured that out. Why can't they just leave it. Parents are so annoying!”

Gravity only seems like a constant thing because kids test it all the time, didn't they teach you that in school? ;-)

Flashback memory to my daugther at about 18 months. She asked for milk and got a glass of milk. She had mastered drinking from a proper glass instead of a sippy cup and I figured she would at least have 2-3 sips before being interested in pouring it out. I figured wrong and she poured it out immediately and said something in Swedish similar to: "That's a job well done!" and ran off. 

I am amazed there isn't a pregnancy announcement yet. Derick has a job (for now), Jill is writing an essay, Izzy is growing up without being a bug brother. What alternate universe is this?

Re: Derrick's man-bun.  I suspect he's just growing out his hair in order to properly rock the hippie-Jesus look.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived