IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

3 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

i went to the website, it is Springdale high school

well this is interesting 

a) that Boob allows this   B) that Derick wants to do this,  that he IS EARNING money and joining an established thing and doesn't claim it as his own invention cough BEN cough 

see education does work wonders 

and his appearance is more normal 

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But is JIll going to be good with this? We all remember her not being able to stay away from him when he worked at Wal-Mart...and if it is a regular public school, then there's the possibility of a lot of "NIKE" to be seen on campus..:pb_eek:

I'm kind of confused about this since his last "job" was converting catholics. Seems a bit odd TBH, but maybe he is realizing that the real world is not so bad after all. I have a feeling the Dillards' mission trip dreams are over and they'll stay in AR popping out babies.  

Qualifications for subs vary state-to-state, I think. When I was teaching in Virginia, you could sub with just a high school diploma, but you were paid less and you couldn't do a long-term assignment, just day-long fill-ins. That said, I didn't know any sub that wasn't at least in college for teaching.

Since Derick has a bachelors degree, bed be paid at a higher rate than someone with just a diploma, but less than someone with teaching credentials. I can't remember if he would be allowed to do anything long-term or not; I don't think so. We had a fair number of subs in this category because unemployment was high at the time and people needed work. You do have to be fingerprinted and background-checked, so it's not just random people off the street, but it's not always someone with teaching knowledge. 

Jill made a comment on Instagram about dericks diet last night. They're well aware people are concerned and think it's funny. Hi Jill if you're reading this! 

59 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

But is JIll going to be good with this? We all remember her not being able to stay away from him when he worked at Wal-Mart...and if it is a regular public school, then there's the possibility of a lot of "NIKE" to be seen on campus..:pb_eek:

I think that circumstances have changed and Jill could have changed with them since they first got married. She went from a house filled with people to being completely alone most of the day. Then they spent a year (off and on) in Sintral America far away from family and where she likely would have spent part of the day away from Derick (whether he was preaching or at class or whatever).

So him being away to substitute teach may not be so bad for her because she's much closer to her family right now and she may have realized that she's survived while being alone for far longer.

I don't quite understand whether or not Jill and Derick make income from being soul savers in SintralMurica, Perhaps they just need some money. Other than having to beg from Jboob. THis is all conjecture, If you need money in your wallet you just do. Maybe he will enjoy a bit of real life. 

5 hours ago, colliemae said:

Since Derick has a bachelors degree, bed be paid at a higher rate than someone with just a diploma, but less than someone with teaching credentials. I can't remember if he would be allowed to do anything long-term or not;

He could probably teach an accounting class. My High School had accounting as an elective, and both my computer science teacher and my acting teacher didn't go to school for education. They majored in CS and acting, yet they ended up getting permanent positions teaching.

A bit off topic, but Derrick could always make money doing people's taxes.

Unless Derrick truly wants to teach kids what is taught by this public school, he shouldn't be "teaching". I say this because the last thing those kids need is someone who is going to either bring religion into a public school or try to "encourage" them down the Dillard/Duggar path, which I could see Derrick doing as part of his ministry. Although I really can't see Derrick as a teacher since his public speaking abilities leave much to be desired. I also worry that pics of his students will end up on his instagram to show how he ministering to the public school kids. 

I doubt he is really substitute teaching. Most likely this is some kind of school event where local celebrities teach for the day. It's also likely something being filmed for the show. Further, substitute teaching a day here and there isn't going to support his family, they will still need TLC money. I don't see Derrick wanting a real job, even if it is only once a week. 

Maybe he's the Spanish sub. It would be a good way for him to keep up with it while he's home. 

Also, on a sad note, maybe a lot of the teachers and regular subs were at the funeral and the school needed extra sub help from the community.

I feel like he could come off as the cool, nerdy hipster, traveler type teacher, or the totally lame,braces wearing, doofy teacher kids take advantage of.

Maybe Derick is thinking about his dad, who worked to provide for his family. Perhaps he would like to emulate him instead of Boob. With one child, and maybe one on the way, he's realizing that the life of itinerant missionary isn't practical.

Who am I kidding?

I'm a little bewildered by this turn of events because it was only a couple of months ago that Derrick was speaking disparagingly on social media about how proselytizing is not allowed in public schools in the United States. I wouldn't see it as anywhere near as odd if he were teaching in a Christian school, but it seems like he's done a complete reversal in his thinking about public schooling very abruptly if he's now working at one.

I hope it's because their experience in El Salvador and Guatemala has helped Derrick mature, broadened his perspective, and opened his mind. I hope he has become more realistic about having a life plan other than reality TV and professional grifting, and realized that educating young people is a useful and rewarding job. Or hell, maybe they just needed the money, and that's fine.

I can be a bit cynical, though... and I can't help but wonder if he's trying to set up a God's Not Dead/"persecution" scenario either for attention or for a plotline for the show. I can't help wondering if he's hoping something negative will happen as a result of his religious faith so that he can claim bragging rights for how much he struggled. 

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong about even speculating that. I hope he's genuine. It just seems like a very strange choice for him to make after so recently making comments that seem to be the total opposite of what he's suddenly diving headfirst into doing.

Went onto his Instagram post and people are so blunt with their questions about certification. I would stay quiet. Duggar fans jump on you like a drunkard jumps on free shots at the club.

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I'm a little bewildered by this turn of events because it was only a couple of months ago that Derrick was speaking disparagingly on social media about how proselytizing is not allowed in public schools in the United States. I wouldn't see it as anywhere near as odd if he were teaching in a Christian school, but it seems like he's done a complete reversal in his thinking about public schooling very abruptly if he's now working at one.

I hope it's because their experience in El Salvador and Guatemala has helped Derrick mature, broadened his perspective, and opened his mind. I hope he has become more realistic about having a life plan other than reality TV and professional grifting, and realized that educating young people is a useful and rewarding job. Or hell, maybe they just needed the money, and that's fine.

Maybe he's trying to get experience so he can become a teacher at a Christian school? I could actually see him enjoying that line of work. Then maybe izzy could go to an actual school!

There are a lot of things I fault this family for but I find it hard to be critical of a member of the duggar family doing an honest day's work. 

9 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

Maybe he's the Spanish sub. It would be a good way for him to keep up with it while he's home. 

Also, on a sad note, maybe a lot of the teachers and regular subs were at the funeral and the school needed extra sub help from the community.

I feel like he could come off as the cool, nerdy hipster, traveler type teacher, or the totally lame,braces wearing, doofy teacher kids take advantage of.

A Spanish sub? If so, Bob help all of those students!

I think it was just a need for extra subs for the funeral. Arkansas has 2 types of subs and he would have fallen under the substitute catagory that only needs a HS diploma or GED plus a criminal background check. 

But doesn't it take some time to get a background check? He must have worked on this before their was a need. 

I have a college friend who's state requires 2 years of college before you can sub so she would sub during school breaks and then at the end of the year because college would get out sooner than the schools in the area. 

Another point. Derick probably only brought home $60 for the day. A sub in Little Rock makes $9.81 an hour.

34 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

But doesn't it take some time to get a background check? He must have worked on this before their was a need. 

Not necessarily. Every time I've been fingerprinted for a job my employer got the results within a business day. 

Depends on whether it's just local or federal. Lots of places will let you start before the results are back. They probably shouldn't. I've started jobs and not been finger printed till a week later.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Depends on whether it's just local or federal. Lots of places will let you start before the results are back. They probably shouldn't. I've started jobs and not been finger printed till a week later.

I believe jobs that involve direct contact with children or vulnerable adults, at least in local and state government here, require a completed background check beforehand, not just pending results.

1 hour ago, withaj said:

I believe jobs that involve direct contact with children or vulnerable adults, at least in local and state government here, require a completed background check beforehand, not just pending results.

Even then, it only takes a couple of days for the results to come in. At my job (as a camp counselor) they accepted everyone and just told us to get fingerprinted before orientation. 

Well, at least he's doing something, I'll give him that. Here, anybody with a BA can substitute teach. It's a really popular job for those of us who went to law school/something until a lawyer job comes along. This area has a huge need for that. 

I wonder how long it'll be before someone  puts in on his heart to quit because he can't teach about Jesus. Do private schools have a sub system? I'm surprised he wouldn't aim for a religiously affiliated school. 

Maybe he's the type who wants to work and just wanted to get back in there. I won't give him too much shit for this but the gloves are gonna come off if he starts any of that anti-education crap because no Jesus...

I have to give Derrick props here. If he's just doing this as a one time thing bc a student died and they needed extra subs do his teachers could attend the funeral, then at least that's a good deed that doesn't involve preaching/grifting/religion in any way. If he's really going to be a substitute teacher on the public school system I think it's a great positive. I can't see JB endorsing earning money from the ebil public school system and he will have to teach kids w/o preaching. So I think it's cool and interested to see if he's really doing it. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived