IGNORED

Jinger's Engaged to the Son of a Preacherman

SpoonfulOSugar

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To me, hatred actually implies some level of regard. Hatred is a strong emotion, and for someone to feel that, they have to consider the target worthy of that sort of emotional response.

I think it's entirely possible to oppress someone through disregard and a willingness to thoughtlessly benefit from a system stacked against them. It's possible to oppress someone through indifference. It's possible to oppress someone by simply not making them a priority, or not recognizing a sense of common humanity with them.

It's possible to oppress someone without having conscious negative feelings about them at all... and I think we see that playing out in America every day.

Maybe it's just semantics, but for me the word "hatred" has a pretty specific meaning, and not everything oppressive falls under it. Not being hatred doesn't make it better - it can be even worse when the oppression is so ingrained that it becomes automatic.

Precisely.  Elie Weisel is quoted as saying "The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference" in a context where he also said that he thought that indifference was "the epitome of evil."

It is worse to be "indifferent" than to "hate" because at least with hatred there is feeling.

A lot of bad things in our world happen not out of deliberate malice or hatred but out of lack of feeling, sometimes a deliberate indifference because "caring" is too costly (emotionally, physically. or economically, socially...).   

Maybe sometimes we attribute "hatred" or malice to the "oppressor" because it makes us feel less insignificant.   It is similar to the way fundies like to see the Hand of God (or the Hand of Satan) in every little thing connected to them.  Ironically, the preoccupation with how God cares for them sometimes leads them to indifference to the feelings and needs of others.  Indifference is, in some contexts, a type of selfishness.  

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SpoonfulOSugar I have the same problem that now I have that song as an earworm ;) .

Probally also has to do that everytime I check this site I hear that song in my head. More so now that is a thread title.....

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

<snip> ... I have to say that the history of slavery does not support your generalization that racism came first.  Historically, the first slaves were people very much like their masters who were enslaved in war or for debt, etc. The slave that is a slave because s/he comes from an "inferior" race (chattel slavery) is connected to early modern European history.   To be sure, racism and slavery are closely intertwined in America.

Not so long ago I found an interesting article that touches on this very subject. It talks about how slavery evolved during history and theorizes how slavery still exists to this very day: http://www.ethicalqueries.com/slavery.html

I don't know if oppression is hatred, but it isn't love.  And it definitely isn't "loving your neighbour as yourself".  You can't do that while treating or regarding any group or person as less valuable or deserving of respect than yourself.

13 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

As to the question if Jessa is pregnant or not, RELAX, people! This was the woman, I recall, who coyly hid her stomach under pillows, made little, "We have nothing to say" announcements, before she finally announced herfirst pregnancy. It was like a game to her... So when I said, "I think she looks pregnant"....... to me, it was part of the game. 

Last night at 0400 I got up, and it struck me that Jessa could very likely be playing the other side of this coin.. the one labeled, "My sister is in the news so what can I do to deflect attention away from her and back onto me?" Of course, pregnancy rumors can do that.. so hang out your shirt, pooch out your belly, and haul in the attention!

So for me, I'm not snarking on Jessa's body, but I am looking at the cues and clues she uses to try to hide or direct attention onto her.

Jeremy's grandparents made a congratulatory video. Didn't we hear that his grandparents disowned his parents for changing denominations? Well, either they came around eventually, or it's some kind of "keeping up appearances". Or was the person that reported that another fake?

7 hours ago, Angelic83 said:

@SpoonfulOSugar I have the same problem that now I have that song as an earworm ;) .

Probally also has to do that everytime I check this site I hear that song in my head. More so now that is a thread title.....

Every time I see the title of this thread the song pops in my head.  Glad I'm not the only one.  Lol!

As for all of this- I hope Jinger is happy.  She won't be free, but maybe she can find her own version of happy.

37 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

Jeremy's grandparents made a congratulatory video. Didn't we hear that his grandparents disowned his parents for changing denominations? Well, either they came around eventually, or it's some kind of "keeping up appearances". Or was the person that reported that another fake?

What the fuck? How do these attention whores keep finding more attention whores to hook up with? And how is literally almost everyone on board with this? The only people who've refused to capitalize on the dog and pony show, if I'm not mistaken, have been a few of Anna's siblings and Derrick's step-dad. That's it. Everyone else has been just as attention-whore-y as the Duggars. FFS!

1 hour ago, BullyJBG said:

Jeremy also made a thank you video (on the Duggar Family YouTube channel).

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Last night at 0400 I got up, and it struck me that Jessa could very likely be playing the other side of this coin.. the one labeled, "My sister is in the news so what can I do to deflect attention away from her and back onto me?" Of course, pregnancy rumors can do that.. so hang out your shirt, pooch out your belly, and haul in the attention!

So for me, I'm not snarking on Jessa's body, but I am looking at the cues and clues she uses to try to hide or direct attention onto her.

Somehow I doubt she has the capability to be that subtle.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

What the fuck? How do these attention whores keep finding more attention whores to hook up with? And how is literally almost everyone on board with this? The only people who've refused to capitalize on the dog and pony show, if I'm not mistaken, have been a few of Anna's siblings and Derrick's step-dad. That's it. Everyone else has been just as attention-whore-y as the Duggars. FFS!

Haven't Ben's parents also, sort of, been absent of late?  They weren't shown once in Counting On.

9 hours ago, eveandadam said:

And as for the leghumpers comment: oh come on! I really think that if you registered on this forum you either have a fundie past or are at least 1% leghumper.

[snipped/my bold above]

@eveandadam, You may want to check out the FJ Polling link. I realize the number of poll participants is a factor, however; it's very insightful.  Regarding your stat, I doubt 99% of FJ members have a fundamentalist past.  As far as leg-humpers, I have no idea, I imagine one must factor in the family being discussed, the Duggar family comes to mind. :pb_rollseyes:

4. How would you describe your connection to fundamentalism? (Please select all that are appropriate)

Sorry, spoiler isn't cooperating at the moment.

31 minutes ago, RandomNoob said:

Somehow I doubt she has the capability to be that subtle.

Jessa is pretty savvy. Each one of those kids has been jostling for attention their entire lives. She's smart enough to do something like I described. Dunno if she is actually doing it, but she sure has people talking! (Imagines Jessa twirling her mustache and laughing maniacallly...)

2 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

Every time I see the title of this thread the song pops in my head.  Glad I'm not the only one.  Lol!

I am now trying to figure out when/where to work "This is the song that never ends . . . . " into a thread title.

You may thank me in advance, or I can ban you from the thread so you don't have to see it . . . . 

Also, FF recently used "It's a small world."  I'm surprised more people haven't commented on that one.

I want to give Jinger a clip or something so she can clip part of her hair up and straighten in layers. :pb_lol:

The best tip anyone ever gave me for straightening is to have the heaviest part of the straightener be the closest to your head. Makes a huge difference. 

15 hours ago, awkwardblackchick said:

Has anyone seen this yet http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/jinger-shares-her-haircare-regimen/.  TBH, I thinks this is an improvement from this last Duggar hair tutorial

Just watched it. Anyone else driven crazy by how softly she was speaking? Maybe it's the whole "keep sweet" mentality that was instilled in them, but I wish she would speak confidently/more assertively and not use that soft Michelle-baby-voice.

Maybe making the video was the only way they knew he would see it/get attention? He might not take their calls and vice versa. Sad situation though. If they're invited to the wedding I wonder if they'll have a reception with the theme Convert the Catholics...

For those who can't get the song out of their heads, here are the Jingerized lyrics:

(The bullets are because I don't know how else to do the single line breaks. The words of the Chorus are unchanged from the original.)

• Jeremy was a preacher's son
  • And when I needed courtin', he came along
  • When the show depended on my courtin'
  • Jess and Ben took us a-walkin' 
  • ' Talkin' and prayin' and missionarin'
  • Till I saw something in his eyes . . .
  • Lord knows, to my surprise
  •  
  • The only one who could ever reach me (Chorus)
  • Was the son of a preacher man
  • The only boy who could ever teach me
  • Yes he was, he was, ooh, yes he was
  •  
  • Bein' good isn't always easy
  • No matter how hard I try
  • But when Daddy said "Court him," to me
  • It was not so hard to say "All right"
  • Now we hug and say "Everything is all right"
  • Comin'' soon enough, there's the wedding night.
  •  
  • The only one who could ever reach me  .. (Repeat chorus)
  •  
  • Oh yeah, I'll always remember
  • The look that was in his eyes
  • Stealin' kisses from me on the sly
  • Takin' time to make time
  • Tellin' me that he's all mine
  • Learnin' from what he's knowin'
  • Want to think how much I'm growin'
  •  
  • The only one who could ever reach me ....(Repeat chorus)
  •  
  • He was the soccer-playing' son of a preacher man
  • The only boy who could ever teach me...

3 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

I don't know. But, it sounds like I just walk in on the grandparents checking off their bucket list: Jeremy getting married. done 

Nothing brings together family than a wedding.

Just caught up completely now. I saw the trailer and I think Jinger seemed happy. I can hope they will move far away, maybe do some world traveling before kids and maybe even wear pants around her own home.

I am still reeling a bit from the realization about what misogyny is and that it fits my dad 100%! So don't mind me! 

3 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

Haven't Ben's parents also, sort of, been absent of late?  They weren't shown once in Counting On.

True. Their blog hasn't been updated since then too. I guess they figured out they were ripped apart by being co-in-laws of public figures, and are trying to not cause any more of that. Sad. I think we all have a little wanna-be-celebrity in us, until we read stuff like this. I'm still waiting for a Duggar or Bates to announce the wedding of one of theirs, saying the new in-law doesn't wish to be on TV and we respect that. It can be done; Dolly Parton's husband remains very much in the background, and that's the longest celebrity marriage I've heard about.

1 hour ago, shock928 said:

Just caught up completely now. I saw the trailer and I think Jinger seemed happy. I can hope they will move far away, maybe do some world traveling before kids and maybe even wear pants around her own home.

I am still reeling a bit from the realization about what misogyny is and that it fits my dad 100%! So don't mind me! 

Yes, this is the most I have seen her smiling and the expression is complete joy. So, it just makes me wonder about her life a bit.

Can I say this: I saw a articles talking about Josh may be on the show and will not be on the show and then, bam, Jinger is engaged. Will Josh be on the show now?

18 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Jinger needs a tail comb to section her hair pronto! I also hope she detangled before straightening! Technique is everything when straightening hair. 

Pro-tips: try running cool air from your blow dryer over your hair to seal the hair and prevent frizz. Anti-frizz serum is also good. She's right though, brushes are the absolute worst for curly hair. 

At least she used heat protector but not the best straightening job I've seen. I don't know why the Duggars post videos and tips on stuff they're not particularly great at. 

TLC posted it. I assume that means they also filmed it. I guess it's now a "tradition" that Duggar girls get to do a hair tutorial once they land a man? They've sucked so far, but I'll wait for Joy's. She has gorgeous hair. 

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Given that Jessa also released Spurge's 8 month pictures (almost a month late) on the day Jinger's engagement was announced, I wouldn't put anything past her. She is a stealth bitch. 

5 hours ago, obiwanfreak said:

Jeremy also made a thank you video (on the Duggar Family YouTube channel).

Jinger also has a short video on the Duggar's youtube channel

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Yes, this is the most I have seen her smiling and the expression is complete joy. So, it just makes me wonder about her life a bit.

Can I say this: I saw a articles talking about Josh may be on the show and will not be on the show and then, bam, Jinger is engaged. Will Josh be on the show now?

TLC confirmed that Josh will not be on the show

18 minutes ago, Kira said:

Jinger also has a short video on the Duggar's youtube channel

TLC confirmed that Josh will not be on the show

Wasn't the wording sneaky? I thought it said Josh will not be in the new or next season of counting on. It never said he will never appear again on the series. I guess with lots of good editing they can erase him from Jinger's wedding episodes.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived