IGNORED

Brooklyn Elise Countdown Is Over - She's Here!

JMO

Does anyone know if the Bates brand of fundie is traditionally anti-epidural? 

I know a lot of the fundie lites I use to know believed that pain in childbirth was part of the punishment for Eve and that it was ungodly to allow a woman to miss out on that and the Duggars have made similar comments before if I am not mistaken. 

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, tumblr said:

Does anyone know if the Bates brand of fundie is traditionally anti-epidural? 

I know a lot of the fundie lites I use to know believed that pain in childbirth was part of the punishment for Eve and that it was ungodly to allow a woman to miss out on that and the Duggars have made similar comments before if I am not mistaken. 

I don't think so. Erin openly talk about wanting an epidural with the first baby, so she wasn't a "crunchy natural birth mummy". If epidural was a sin, she hadn't told it, had she?

Bates breastfeed for a short time (Kelly and Alyssa for sure) and Whitney doesn't breastfeed at all.

Both epidural and bottle feeding are "sins" for Zsuzsu, but not for Bates.

Short breastfeeding means sooner pregnancies and less bonding with the baby. At least for Kelly.

The fundies in my family and those I know are all for hospital births with epidurals. They believe in doing everything possible to bring a baby into this world healthy at all costs.

5 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

The fundies in my family and those I know are all for hospital births with epidurals. They believe in doing everything possible to bring a baby into this world healthy at all costs.

In fact, a hospital natural delivery without epidural is better for the baby. I understand using epidural, I used it with my little one, but let's face it, epidural is about mother's confort,not about baby's safety.  I don't want to start a flame, as I said I used it, but if you're looking for maximum safety, do It natural. 

My fundie family members don't listen to other opinions. Thus why I spend as little time as possible with them. LOL

Kelly made a comment after her first birth with an epidural along the lines of why didn't I know about this sooner or I wish I'd done this earlier.  She encouraged Whitney to have an epidural if she wanted it and seems to have an attitude of why suffer needless pain.

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

In fact, a hospital natural delivery without epidural is better for the baby. I understand using epidural, I used it with my little one, but let's face it, epidural is about mother's confort,not about baby's safety.  I don't want to start a flame, as I said I used it, but if you're looking for maximum safety, do It natural. 

It's my understanding that the pain medication from the epidural is so small it does no harm to the baby? 

I started out this pregnancy talking all kinds of big talk about how I thought I wanted to do everything natural, etc. etc. I still think that's the best way to go if you can because from what I can understand inductions (pitocin) make the pain worse/more intense and epidurals can slow labor or cause you to need a c-section at times. 

BUT on the flip side of that there's labor that's just slow on its own. There's needing a c-section anyway. There's apparently something awful called back labor. And there's also the reality that there's no standard "this is what labor is like" story. Someone can say this was the worst thing they've ever experienced and someone else can say that it was not even that bad and both be telling the truth.

So now that I'm in my second trimester and looking into the eye of the coming storm in December, I've been watching some videos of births on youtube. I think I could probably labor for 12-18 hours if it didn't feel like the worst pain I've ever felt but just intense pain. I've had migraines that have lasted for 3-4 days without relief. I know what I get like 72+hrs in, though, and it's not a good place. Everything is terrible. Somebody kill me. Hatred and anger paired with apathy for life, doom and destruction, etc. 

I had a kidney stone for over a week and didn't think it could possibly compare to what I've seen as labor (I think migraines are worse). Everyone says stones are just as bad. From what I've seen though, I have to say I'm pretty skeptical. I know the size of that kidney stone and I know what size a baby usually is in comparison, I wanna say it'll be harder. So I am going to have to go into it knowing that there's no way to know if I can handle it or what it's going to be like. I'm going in with my options open. I wanted to be natural, but I also wanna not be an idiot who suffers for days unnecessarily. 

Props to Erin for doing what she wanted with her own body. 

I'm dropping by to say please no mommy wars here.  If that discussion needs to be held, no holds barred would be a far better place. 

Purple is my modly color.  It was suggested we try colored type as kinder and gentler than a nasty ole red box.  We'll see. 

7 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

I started out this pregnancy talking all kinds of big talk about how I thought I wanted to do everything natural, etc. etc. I still think that's the best way to go if you can because from what I can understand inductions (pitocin) make the pain worse/more intense and epidurals can slow labor or cause you to need a c-section at times. 

BUT on the flip side of that there's labor that's just slow on its own. There's needing a c-section anyway. There's apparently something awful called back labor. And there's also the reality that there's no standard "this is what labor is like" story. Someone can say this was the worst thing they've ever experienced and someone else can say that it was not even that bad and both be telling the truth.

So now that I'm in my second trimester and looking into the eye of the coming storm in December, I've been watching some videos of births on youtube. I think I could probably labor for 12-18 hours if it didn't feel like the worst pain I've ever felt but just intense pain. I've had migraines that have lasted for 3-4 days without relief. I know what I get like 72+hrs in, though, and it's not a good place. Everything is terrible. Somebody kill me. Hatred and anger paired with apathy for life, doom and destruction, etc. 

I had a kidney stone for over a week and didn't think it could possibly compare to what I've seen as labor (I think migraines are worse). Everyone says stones are just as bad. From what I've seen though, I have to say I'm pretty skeptical. I know the size of that kidney stone and I know what size a baby usually is in comparison, I wanna say it'll be harder. So I am going to have to go into it knowing that there's no way to know if I can handle it or what it's going to be like. I'm going in with my options open. I wanted to be natural, but I also wanna not be an idiot who suffers for days unnecessarily. 

Props to Erin for doing what she wanted with her own body. 

My personal birth plan for January:

- Get. Baby. Out. Safely.

Other than that, all bets are off. I plan to make decisions as things progress. Lol!

6 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm dropping by to say please no mommy wars here.  If that discussion needs to be held, no holds barred would be a far better place. 

Purple is my modly color.  It was suggested we try colored type as kinder and gentler than a nasty ole red box.  We'll see. 

But, but.... I like the mean and harsh red box of doom... :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Thank you, mommy wars are annoying.

I came here to giggle over the fact that the puppy's name is Max Paine. Makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Homer renames himself Max Power ..... "Maaaax Paine is the puppy with the name you want to touchhhh ... But you mustn't touchhhh ..."

A while back I was really curious about the advantages and disadvantages of natural birth vs. epidural vs. c-sec. There's a now rather long thread in No Holds Barred where many FJites have posted amazing birth stories, opinions, regrets, recommendations etc. and it all happened in a very respectful manner, no mommy wars at all. So if there's a need to discuss issues of the various ways to bring a child into the world I assume that thread in NHB would be a great place to do so. FJ has come a long way, and there's no need for mommy wars anymore. 

I'm just glad Brooklyn Elise got here safely and she and Erin are doing fine. I read in the other thread that the Cherin stated they were only going to have two children. Is that hearsay or is that a fact?!

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

A while back I was really curious about the advantages and disadvantages of natural birth vs. epidural vs. c-sec. There's a now rather long thread in No Holds Barred where many FJites have posted amazing birth stories, opinions, regrets, recommendations etc. and it all happened in a very respectful manner, no mommy wars at all. So if there's a need to discuss issues of the various ways to bring a child into the world I assume that thread in NHB would be a great place to do so. FJ has come a long way, and there's no need for mommy wars anymore. 

I'm just glad Brooklyn Elise got here safely and she and Erin are doing fine. I read in the other thread that the Cherin stated they were only going to have two children. Is that hearsay or is that a fact?!

Erin said Brooklyn was the"last of two" on camera, to her doc.

I sincerely doubt that that means they'll only have two kids tho. I predict at least 3 more 'surprise' babies.

And any one of those "surprises" could have tragic consequences for mother and/or child.

On 8/8/2016 at 11:24 AM, formergothardite said:

I'm always jealous of people who give birth and then look fabulous. I looked like death. 

I'm jealous of people who know what they looked like after giving birth! I bet my first pic is 3 to 5 days after when I held one of my boys for the first time. I looked awesome by then, still had the nice full pregnancy face and glow. I guarantee I looked like crap the day they were born from terror, the magnesium IV, the emergency section, and the nonstop round the clock crying. I almost wish I had a picture of myself then because I only have memories of how it all felt emotionally but nothing from reality.

And this is totally unrelated, but whatever, I would give anything for pics of my kids the day they were born. My brother and his wife also had a preemie this past year (4 weeks farther along than mine though) and they have his entire birth photographed. I have one hazy memory of a teeny face swaddled in a blanket as they whisked baby A off to NICU and no memory of baby B, except that he cried when he was born and we weren't expecting that at all! 

On 8/8/2016 at 0:18 PM, JMO said:

This.  Some kids are more compliant/ "easier" children.  Some need more repetition to learn things and for some, curiosity is hard to contain.

OMG, when my twins were 2 years old we visited a friend with an 18 month old. They had a tv on a very low shelf with DVR and XBox within reach of the baby. They had a laptop of the floor, plugged into an outlet with a cord right there. They had their Christmas tree with glass ornaments from the floor to the top right in the center of the room. My 2 year olds would have DESTROYED that house. I would pee for 30 seconds and find them having climbed onto my desk and playing with my computer (which was gated off, but they learned to climb the gate!), or on a book shelf that they dragged a toy in front of to climb onto. Or they'd pull a curtain down by climbing up the baby gate and leaning across the tv stand.

I was hardcore about pulling them down and teaching them no and not letting any shenanigans go unpunished (by useless timeouts that did nothing and distraction, no spanking or hitting). But no matter what they were crazy curious, they were amazing climbers, and they had no fear. Our friend's son was really calm and a really good rule follower. They were just SO different, lol. 

And I'll add that at 4 years old now, climbing in the house is long gone. They play really well together and I can leave them alone for hours while I get things done! Furniture is still bolted to the wall though, just in case :)

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

OMG, when my twins were 2 years old we visited a friend with an 18 month old. They had a tv on a very low shelf with DVR and XBox within reach of the baby. They had a laptop of the floor, plugged into an outlet with a cord right there. They had their Christmas tree with glass ornaments from the floor to the top right in the center of the room. My 2 year olds would have DESTROYED that house. I would pee for 30 seconds and find them having climbed onto my desk and playing with my computer (which was gated off, but they learned to climb the gate!), or on a book shelf that they dragged a toy in front of to climb onto. Or they'd pull a curtain down by climbing up the baby gate and leaning across the tv stand.

I was hardcore about pulling them down and teaching them no and not letting any shenanigans go unpunished (by useless timeouts that did nothing and distraction, no spanking or hitting). But no matter what they were crazy curious, they were amazing climbers, and they had no fear. Our friend's son was really calm and a really good rule follower. They were just SO different, lol. 

And I'll add that at 4 years old now, climbing in the house is long gone. They play really well together and I can leave them alone for hours while I get things done! Furniture is still bolted to the wall though, just in case :)

I just have an image of you leaving the room, and one twin giving the other a boost onto one piece of furniture and then that one pulling them up... probably not what was happening, but definitely makes me laugh.

I asked Erin on her last IG post if she was induced as she'd indicated she wanted to be or if was natural labor. She answered and said it was a natural labor. 

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

I asked Erin on her last IG post if she was induced as she'd indicated she wanted to be or if was natural labor. She answered and said it was a natural labor. 

Oh shit. That makes me nervous. That she wasn't induced and everything went so smoothly. I hope they don't use it as a reason to keep trying for kids. I don't mean to say I wish she had an awful terrifying birth experience again, just that I hope she doesn't look back on it with rose colored glasses and think "Well, that wasn't so bad. How bout another round?"

5 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Oh shit. That makes me nervous. That she wasn't induced and everything went so smoothly. I hope they don't use it as a reason to keep trying for kids. I don't mean to say I wish she had an awful terrifying birth experience again, just that I hope she doesn't look back on it with rose colored glasses and think "Well, that wasn't so bad. How bout another round?"

She will definitely be pregnant next year.

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

She will definitely be pregnant next year.

i agree. i really do not see them doing anything to stop at 2 children.

New picture:

image.png

Glad to see Puppy Paine looking healthy and being included in the first official family photo at home.

Also, love how he has a protective paw on Carson's arm and he's watching him so carefully. So stinking cute!

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

Oh geeze... Well, I'm very glad things went better this time. I really hope they don't take this as a divine sign or something - Erin still has serious health issues to deal with and those aren't going to magically go away.

Hopefully they listen carefully to her Doctor's recommendations.  

6 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

I had been wondering if she had been induced or not, this answered my question. 

Glad to hear that she had a much easier time with this birth, but to the bolded, I was thinking the same thing.   With her clotting issues, every single pregnancy is going to be a risky venture for her (and the baby) and for the sake of her husband and the 2 kids she has now, I hope she doesn't keep rolling the dice.   I get that it's her and Chad's business of course, but given their particular background, I hope they don't feel compelled to keep on having them in spite of the risks but who knows.

11 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

I just have an image of you leaving the room, and one twin giving the other a boost onto one piece of furniture and then that one pulling them up... probably not what was happening, but definitely makes me laugh.

I'm not sure if they ever boosted each other up, but there was the one time they detached the baby gate from the wall and one held it open while the other accessed the XBox, etc. lol 

monkeys.jpg

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived