IGNORED

Brooklyn Elise Countdown Is Over - She's Here!

JMO

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Every dog is unique of course and I'm just speaking from personal experience: my parents had a lab, my sister has a beagle, and we have a beagle mix. 

Erin mentioned they think it's a Lab/Beagle mix - so quite possibly a high energy, wicked smart puppy. Possibly highly trainable if motivated, but also possible that the dog can get into a great deal of mischief if not trained properly. Not sure if they adopted or bought - today was Clear the Shelters across the nation though, so it's possible they adopted. Still could have been an impulse decision or they could have given it a lot of thought - they didn't mention either way. Just that Carson loves animals and they decided to get a dog for him.

I agree the timing really isn't ideal to be honest. Carson being young or having multiple young children aren't issues - it's more the fact that they're set to welcome Brooklyn anytime now. That's going to take a lot of time and attention away from the puppy during a time the little furball should be getting settled into their new home. Bringing home a baby can be chaotic, which isn't the best environment for a puppy trying to learn the rules or place in the family.

A lot will depend on the puppy's personality, how relaxed they are when accidents or naughty behaviors happen, and how consistent they are on training the dog. As well as the training method they go with - positive reinforcement training is far more gentle and productive for many dogs than other forms. 

Totally superficial note: The picture they posted is freaking adorable. I honestly hope they really thought this through and have a solid plan in mind for properly caring for this puppy. Like @actuallyjessicasaid, I would side eye the fuck out of them if they rehome the puppy anytime soon.

My hope is that they'd been looking for a dog for a while, and just happened to find 'the one', and wanted to get it even though timing wasn't ideal. As fundies go, Chad and Erin seem to be decent human beings with some measure of intelligence, so I'm hoping for the best for the puppy :)

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cherin: Stop testing God. You should be lucky and content with your two healthy children. Two is enough.

14 hours ago, JillyO said:

Who wants to bet that at some point, they'll just stop mentioning/showing the dog and we'll never hear about it again?

I suspect the puppy will (supposedly) decide he or she's happier at Gil & Kelly's.

Why would Erin decide on more work than a newborn and a one year old, plus the possibility of barking/crying setting off crying/barking during the wee hours?  Won't she need rest?  Will Chad be home full-time with the furniture business?  I can't imagine the situation working otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I suspect the puppy will (supposedly) decide he or she's happier at Gil & Kelly's.

Why would Erin decide on more work than a newborn and a one year old, plus the possibility of barking/crying setting off crying/barking during the wee hours?  Won't she need rest?  Will Chad be home full-time with the furniture business?  I can't imagine the situation working otherwise. 

Erin has at least 4 babysitters right down the road, and it wouldn't surprise me if one decided to stay with her a while to help out.

She only has a two bedroom cottage. Where would they put her? 

As for the Bateses, let's not forget that their "pet" dog lives on the porch, and they took away his favorite chair, poor old guy. Hopefully, Chad knows better, but the way Erin was raised around animals, I don't expect stellar care for the little guy. 

I think Erin is not nearly as neglectful as her parents and has evolved a lot since the green hair incident. Everyone was like 'uuuh' 'aaaah' 'how great for her' when Sarah Maxwell got a dog, just because she hasn't procreated yet. Who knows, maybe the young Paines know exactly that Brooklyn will will be their last kid so they got a dog to take care of as well. Getting the dog while Brooklyn is still in utero makes it easier for them to integrate it into the family. Unless proven otherwise I assume she will responsibly take care of the dog.

I don't think I would have coped well with a new puppy, a toddler and a new baby.  All three deserve more attention than I think I'd have been able to give them if there were three at once.

On the subject of living close to family, my MIL lives in the next suburb.  She's never been one to just pop in.  My parents were one suburb away but are now a 10 minute drive away.  It was invaluable having them close when the kids were little and I needed help babysitting.  Heck, it's still invaluable. My daughter and I stayed overseas a week longer than DH and DS on our recent holiday.  Our 16 yo son has some special needs and since DH was back at work, my parents phoned DS each morning to wake him up, drove to our home, made sure he'd had his medication, locked the house, drove him to school, picked him up on the rainy day, collected him each night to have dinner at their home, and then took him home (along with dinner for DH).  A week's respite from him was very much needed and  appreciated. My parents are awesome.  (NB my mil didn't offer to do a thing...)

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

My concern is that Chad and Erin have a small cottage & don't seem to have a fenced in yard--But I think Zach and Whit do. I can see the puppy ending up there. 

On 7/24/2016 at 10:39 AM, imokit said:

With Erin living so close to her family, and having small siblings - I'll imagine that the puppy will get lots of attention, the question is will they be able to train the little kids to train the puppy.  Plus if they're really not coping they can quietly rehome with the rest of the family.  They have a set up for a puppy.

Bad timing, but plenty of support and options.

I just think about how the rest of the family treated their poor horses and I am not sure that rehoming with family would be good for a pet. The Bates parents barely seem to care about the safety of their children, how are they are to treat the safety of an animal.

Has the cat the Bates got ever been mentioned again? And what has ever happened to the poor neglected horses? 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I just think about how the rest of the family treated their poor horses and I am not sure that rehoming with family would be good for a pet. The Bates parents barely seem to care about the safety of their children, how are they are to treat the safety of an animal.

Has the cat the Bates got ever been mentioned again? And what has ever happened to the poor neglected horses? 

Wanna-be Cowboy Lawson posts pics with their horses all the time on Instagram

I hope the poor pup doesn't just wind up booted outside. I have unbelievable rage for the "Oh they're so much HAPPIER outside!!" crap.

Respect if they adopted from a shelter but that poor thing is gonna have a hard enough time growing and adjusting to his new family without the addition of an infant in a few weeks.

And I echo what everyone else has said - where are they gonna fit everybody in that tiny cottage?

3 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I hope the poor pup doesn't just wind up booted outside. I have unbelievable rage for the "Oh they're so much HAPPIER outside!!" crap.

Respect if they adopted from a shelter but that poor thing is gonna have a hard enough time growing and adjusting to his new family without the addition of an infant in a few weeks.

And I echo what everyone else has said - where are they gonna fit everybody in that tiny cottage?

I echo your rage about pets tossed outside. In my mind, the exception is actual working animals. I have a friend who has a farm. She has a couple of herding dogs and several barn cats. They are obviously outside, but they have shelter, good food, lots of water, and attention from the family.

I recently heard about an acquaintance's son and daughter-in-law who live in Hawaii. They got a puppy, even though they have a toddler to whom they barely pay attention. My acquaintance told me that she was upset because the son and DIL went on vacation and tied the dog outside their house, saying, "someone will feed him". I was so furious I couldn't see straight. Thanks to Google and Anywho, I found their address and called Animal Protective Services, who came and picked up the poor puppy, who was tied outside with no shade or water. Supposedly they have been cited for animal neglect and cruelty. 

I hope Cherin treats the pup well.

The Paines barely got the dog a few days ago. Let's at least let them prove they're inept pet owners before we send them to FJ court for it.

I never give fundies the benefit of the doubt on anything.

I never give fundies the benefit of the doubt on anything.

Well, Sarah Maxwell got in the car with two men she didn't know and JRod let her children go to "camp", so stranger things have happened around here in the past few weeks than Cherin being responsible dog parents.

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I echo your rage about pets tossed outside. In my mind, the exception is actual working animals. I have a friend who has a farm. She has a couple of herding dogs and several barn cats. They are obviously outside, but they have shelter, good food, lots of water, and attention from the family.

I recently heard about an acquaintance's son and daughter-in-law who live in Hawaii. They got a puppy, even though they have a toddler to whom they barely pay attention. My acquaintance told me that she was upset because the son and DIL went on vacation and tied the dog outside their house, saying, "someone will feed him". I was so furious I couldn't see straight. Thanks to Google and Anywho, I found their address and called Animal Protective Services, who came and picked up the poor puppy, who was tied outside with no shade or water. Supposedly they have been cited for animal neglect and cruelty. 

I hope Cherin treats the pup well.

How horrible!

My brother left his cat outside when he went on a holiday recently. However, he lives in the country side, the cat is the type of cat that wanders and has been away from home for 6 months at one point and he has someone who will come twice a day to give it food and water and it has an outdoor sheltered bed. If this had been an indoor cat with no "street smart" I would not approve but with this cat I do even though I think this might be a slight violation of the animal care laws (I think it should have slightly more supervision to fulfill them)

Well, Sarah Maxwell got in the car with two men she didn't know and JRod let her children go to "camp", so stranger things have happened around here in the past few weeks than Cherin being responsible dog parents.

The jury is still out on what kind of human parents Erin and Chad are. I'm not buying the sugary sweet shit. Nope, not at all.

• 2 weeks later...

On tonight's BUB, there was a scene with Dr. Vick & the Paines.  Dr. Vick is joking about Erin having as many kids as her mom and says is this the 2nd of 19?  And Erin laughs and says no, this is the 2nd of two.  I found it very interesting.  Maybe they are going to limit (either chemically or permanently) the size of their family due to her health issues.  I really hope so.  Hateful beliefs or not, I think Carson and Brooklyn deserve a mother to raise them vs. a martyr for the cause.

On tonight's BUB, there was a scene with Dr. Vick & the Paines.  Dr. Vick is joking about Erin having as many kids as her mom and says is this the 2nd of 19?  And Erin laughs and says no, this is the 2nd of two.  I found it very interesting.  Maybe they are going to limit (either chemically or permanently) the size of their family due to her health issues.  I really hope so.  Hateful beliefs or not, I think Carson and Brooklyn deserve a mother to raise them vs. a martyr for the cause.

I also really hope so. What is really frustrating me about that clip is that Dr Vick is a DOCTOR and he is still talking like it'd be perfectly reasonable for Erin to have hundreds of kids despite the fact that she nearly died giving birth the last time and there is no evidence to suggest (unless I missed something/they're not telling us something) that this birth is going to be any less high risk. I know he's a fundie or something and therefore I shouldn't be applying logic to the things he says but WTF? He's been to medical school, right? Does he really think that Erin risking her life/wellbeing and the wellbeing of her already born child is worth it? I know he does, but it just seems crazy to me.

I hope Erin sees sense and decides to stop with Brooklyn. So far, she has said twice that she wants two. I'll wait and see if she and Chad are smart enough to permanently stop future pregnancies (through vasectomy or whatever). She could set a good example for her siblings.

4 hours ago, kettlingur said:

I also really hope so. What is really frustrating me about that clip is that Dr Vick is a DOCTOR and he is still talking like it'd be perfectly reasonable for Erin to have hundreds of kids despite the fact that she nearly died giving birth the last time and there is no evidence to suggest (unless I missed something/they're not telling us something) that this birth is going to be any less high risk. I know he's a fundie or something and therefore I shouldn't be applying logic to the things he says but WTF? He's been to medical school, right? Does he really think that Erin risking her life/wellbeing and the wellbeing of her already born child is worth it? I know he does, but it just seems crazy to me.

I am going to hope the doctor was trying to make a joke for the camera rather than endorsing Erin having twenty pregnancies. 

It was pretty clearly meant to be a hearty joke, though it came off kinda weak.

And, just from TV editing of course, but it seems to me that Chad loves Erin much more than the idea of putting her through that experience over and over again.

Ok, I'm really happy that I misread the situation, I'd much rather that he was joking and would advise her realistically.

I'd like to think that Erin means it about only having two children, but I still think there will probably be another "surprise" next year or maybe the year after. I hope time proves me wrong though. I disagree with Erin on a lot of things, but no one deserves to die for their beliefs. 

I could totally see Erin choosing to have another kid a couple years down the line, I just hope she takes a break and gives her body time to heal fully. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived