IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 15

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, hapamama said:

The elementary school my kids attend (or have attended) has a rattlesnake problem during the warmer months. The school is located next to an Open Space and the snakes come down to feast on the rodents that live on campus (ground squirrels mostly).

They hustle those kids away from the snakes pretty fast when they're found on the soccer field or on the playgrounds, but not to the point of a lockdown...

Well, with snakes you can operate on the "give them space and they won't bother you" principle. With bears, that's true to some extent, but if a bear's on a playground, there's no safe distance at which it and the kids can coexist. Keeping the kids away and inside until the bear is gone is the best solution.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is Colbert when you need him? Bears in schools? Disgusting. 

Seriously though, what happens if the bear is able to gain access to a pair of flip flops, or some tator tots?

This is my backyard (right now!) and partially why I don't own flip flops. Also a great place for wildlife sightings.  I don't even think our local stores sell flip flops. Low demand.

IMG_7280.JPG

3 hours ago, bingbangboom said:

Seriously though, what happens if the bear is able to gain access to a pair of flip flops, or some tator tots?

Now I'm imagining a bear dressing up like a Duggar with crunchy curls, deniem skirt, and flip-flops like Chicken Boo from Animaniacs, a giant chicken who would disguise himself like various humans.

I hate the term "crunchy" because all of the moms I know personally that follow that are really arrogant and look down on any mom that *gasp* uses formula.

I realize not everyone is rude like that, but in my real life, crunchy is a word full of annoyance for me. :pb_lol:

Please.  I've got pumas, bears, pythons, rattlesnakes, sharks, stingrays and fence climbing gators....Racoon just destroyed my bird feeders.  Coyotes roam our yard. 

Can't let my dog near fresh water here.  Though we love the dog beach.  Neighbor had to call wildlife control because some idiots were feeding two gators in their pond.  Which is illegal for a reason.  Have a friend in Orlando who regularly gets bears in his yard.  When I first got my cell phone number, spent a year fielding calls for some local drug dealer.  Kept asking these idiots "Do I sound like my name is Bruce" at 3 am.  Neighbor was threatened with a gun by someone on the beach.  Luckily her husband had his gun with him. I live in Florida for gods sake, look us up. 

On 12 April 2016 at 4:09 PM, MatthewDuggar said:

I grew up in Wisconsin with no AC and that was fine, but here in FL, it's beyond unbearable in the summer with out AC, mostly due to the humidity.  I have ceiling fans, and the AC man usually can make it the same day if there is an issue.  

The funny this is that when it dips to 55 degrees and everyone is wearing winter coats, hat and boots as if it's some sort of major cold front.

That the same temp as our summer!!( most years). We take our coats off!

41 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Please.  I've got pumas, bears, pythons, rattlesnakes, sharks, stingrays and fence climbing gators....Racoon just destroyed my bird feeders.  Coyotes roam our yard. 

Can't let my dog near fresh water here.  Though we love the dog beach.  Neighbor had to call wildlife control because some idiots were feeding two gators in their pond.  Which is illegal for a reason.  Have a friend in Orlando who regularly gets bears in his yard.  When I first got my cell phone number, spent a year fielding calls for some local drug dealer.  Kept asking these idiots "Do I sound like my name is Bruce" at 3 am.  Neighbor was threatened with a gun by someone on the beach.  Luckily her husband had his gun with him. I live in Florida for gods sake, look us up. 

I live in Florida too.  I can't stand morons who feed gators.  There's a couple of fish camps we go to where people toss them hush puppies and stuff.  It makes them unafraid of humans, which is really bad.  I've never seen one climb a fence before though!  That's amazing and scary at the same time.  My brother hit one that was sunning on a golf course once (on accident.  Didn't realize it was near the water hazard when he teed off).  Needless to say, he didn't get close enough to get his ball back.  Lol.

Chiming in from Northern NY, in my backyard, at any given time, there can be bear, fox, turkey, bobcat, rattlesnake, "coy-dogs" haven't seen any, but there have been moose sightings.  Deer, of course.  Then there are wolves and mountain lion.  Yes, they will tell you that neither are in this region, yet I have seen both.  No mistaking what you see, and the paw prints of a bob cat or large house cat don't measure 3 inches across!

5 hours ago, bingbangboom said:

I've heard of this happening, Quite a sight. The bears were fighting over the flip flops, apparently one pair was more bearish than the other. The tator tots they just threw at each other. 

3 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

This is my backyard (right now!) and partially why I don't own flip flops. Also a great place for wildlife sightings.  I don't even think our local stores sell flip flops. Low demand.

IMG_7280.JPG

Beautiful. We were screwed out of snow this winter. No joke, we live in a pocket where snow would fall 25 miles away on all sides, but not at home. I missed it, but I can't complain. Life is easier without it.

I guess the topic is schools or weather right now but I am going to bring it back to the Dullards for a second.

On my drive home the other day, I was listening to an NPR report about the violence in El Salvador and how it affects everyday life. I think it was part of a larger series on El Salvador but I only heard the part they played that day which talked about gangs targeting bus drivers during a violent flare up. One of the men they interviewed who dealt with this on a daily basis (I think he was law enforcement) told the reporter that the one thing that helped was his religion and the catholic community. It really made me think about these two aholes playing missionaries down there. So not only are Derick and Jill completely out of their depth in dealing with the actual problems down there, but they are trying to discourge people from one of their sources of relief and comfort by telling them its wrong and sinful because they are the "wrong type of christian"

36 minutes ago, artdecades said:

I guess the topic is schools or weather right now but I am going to bring it back to the Dullards for a second.

On my drive home the other day, I was listening to an NPR report about the violence in El Salvador and how it affects everyday life. I think it was part of a larger series on El Salvador but I only heard the part they played that day which talked about gangs targeting bus drivers during a violent flare up. One of the men they interviewed who dealt with this on a daily basis (I think he was law enforcement) told the reporter that the one thing that helped was his religion and the catholic community. It really made me think about these two aholes playing missionaries down there. So not only are Derick and Jill completely out of their depth in dealing with the actual problems down there, but they are trying to discourge people from one of their sources of relief and comfort by telling them its wrong and sinful because they are the "wrong type of christian"

I was just thinking along these very same lines. The Dillards are a travesty. I do not know what the people they "minister' actually really need, but I might guess some things along the lines of medical, improved housing, necessary household goods and clothing. Although I really have no idea. And someone posted earlier a good description of the Gothard way of life, which offers the people they are trying to "convert" a misogynistic, guilt-filled, patriarchal way of life with backward thinking in terms of education....which is such an important thing for people in terms of  moving ahead and improving their life situation.

The Dullards missioncation is such a complete waste. So ridiculous. I'm sure Cathy Dillard Byrum is sorely disappointed in this venture. And to top it off, now with Zika, they are putting a potential future child at risk for no good reason at all. 

End of my rant. 

I am so annoyed that SOS Ministries built them a house. All the money could have been better spent on housing or other basic needs of local people.

50 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I was just thinking along these very same lines. The Dillards are a travesty. I do not know what the people they "minister' actually really need, but I might guess some things along the lines of medical, improved housing, necessary household goods and clothing. Although I really have no idea. And someone posted earlier a good description of the Gothard way of life, which offers the people they are trying to "convert" a misogynistic, guilt-filled, patriarchal way of life with backward thinking in terms of education....which is such an important thing for people in terms of  moving ahead and improving their life situation.

The Dullards missioncation is such a complete waste. So ridiculous. I'm sure Cathy Dillard Byrum is sorely disappointed in this venture. And to top it off, now with Zika, they are putting a potential future child at risk for no good reason at all. 

End of my rant. 

Love x1000! When I first graduated from college I knew a newlywed couple fresh out of medical school. Very Catholic. At the time they made it very clear that one of their goals was to be medical missionaries once out of residency. We lost touch within a couple of years (they had a kid exactly nine months after the wedding and were traveling to South America and such to do medical mission work), but the last time I read about them they both have thriving practices here in Milwaukee, 6 kids, she travels one week a month to Kansas City to do medical mission work at a clinic for the needy and they spend their summers in Africa doing medical missionary work, oftentimes bringing one of more of their children with them (grade school age) to experience the culture and learn about giving to others. The other children stay back in the States with Grandma and Grandpa.

Point is, these two people have a talent and skill set and they bring it to where it is most needed in this world. They aren't preaching to people (though they do "bless" the patients they treat) and trying to convert them. It's not about "winning souls for the right Jesus", it's about helping people. Jill and Derick don't have any skill set that is needed and unique - that's what makes it such a tragedy to me. Instead of fundraising for those who can legitimately help folks, these dorks are taking funds and using those funds for their missionication. How about coming back to the US and using your God-given talents as an accountant to support your family and help a religious organization on the side? That would be using your talents for God. But since there's little martyr status in that, I can see why it wouldn't be appealing. 

9 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

End of my rant. 

I totally agree that the Dillards are not really doing anything useful.  I am not too worried that they will create doubt and disturb any of the people who find comfort in their Catholic faith, but I could see them being a bad influence anyway.

For example, there are very strong patriarchal and machistic elements in Salvadorean culture that do not need to be reinforced by the stupid missionaries from the north.  And I am a lot less worried about Jill and zika than about the Dillards discouraging some women from using birth control even though the Pope has given people in that area a dispensation.  Because the idea of birth control being allowed is new to them, some people may be ready to be persuaded that Pope or no Pope it is still wrong. (I used to know women, who were exempt from fasting because they were over 60, but they feel that they had to fast because "God said so.")

I don't worry a lot about Jill and Zika because even if Derrick isn't abstaining during her fertile periods (either to let her heal after the C-section or because of  Zika), there is a good chance Jill won't get pregnant in the next two or three months. (Each normal cycle, the chances of getting pregnant are only 20%.)  Even if she does get pregnant, her lifestyle (mostly indoors in mosquito-sprayed areas with mosquito-screens and mosquito repellant) puts her at less risk than the average person who takes public transportation and has to move around areas that have not been sprayed, etc.  Now, if she is pregnant already and she is still there, then she is really being stupid. But until she actually gets pregnant the risk she is taking is fairly moderate.  I think she is nuts to take any risk, but I think she is more likely to be a bad example than to be seriously at risk herself.

Hopefully, her Spanish is so bad and she remains so self-absorbed that she doesn't have a lot of people who trust her enough to be influenced.

But they should just come home.

55 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I am so annoyed that SOS Ministries built them a house. All the money could have been better spent on housing or other basic needs of local people.

They built them a house? I thought they were just providing the house.  By the way, do we know exactly where in El Salvador they are?

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

Wait...they built them a house for an eight month staycation?

@SassyPants, can I come live with you? Pretty please with sugar on top??

I used to have a poster on my wall that said "Goodbye, California, Goodbye" with a list of things and people in California.  My sister got it somewhere, but I can't remember where.  I wasn't a bit afraid that California was going to fall into the ocean, though.  

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I totally agree that the Dillards are not really doing anything useful.  I am not too worried that they will create doubt and disturb any of the people who find comfort in their Catholic faith, but I could see them being a bad influence anyway.

For example, there are very strong patriarchal and machistic elements in Salvadorean culture that do not need to be reinforced by the stupid missionaries from the north.  And I am a lot less worried about Jill and zika than about the Dillards discouraging some women from using birth control even though the Pope has given people in that area a dispensation.  Because the idea of birth control being allowed is new to them, some people may be ready to be persuaded that Pope or no Pope it is still wrong. (I used to know women, who were exempt from fasting because they were over 60, but they feel that they had to fast because "God said so.")

I don't worry a lot about Jill and Zika because even if Derrick isn't abstaining during her fertile periods (either to let her heal after the C-section or because of  Zika), there is a good chance Jill won't get pregnant in the next two or three months. (Each normal cycle, the chances of getting pregnant are only 20%.)  Even if she does get pregnant, her lifestyle (mostly indoors in mosquito-sprayed areas with mosquito-screens and mosquito repellant) puts her at less risk than the average person who takes public transportation and has to move around areas that have not been sprayed, etc.  Now, if she is pregnant already and she is still there, then she is really being stupid. But until she actually gets pregnant the risk she is taking is fairly moderate.  I think she is nuts to take any risk, but I think she is more likely to be a bad example than to be seriously at risk herself.

Hopefully, her Spanish is so bad and she remains so self-absorbed that she doesn't have a lot of people who trust her enough to be influenced.

But they should just come home.

They built them a house? I thought they were just providing the house.  By the way, do we know exactly where in El Salvador they are?

Yes, SOS built them a house. Pickles posted the SOS blurb about how they needed $20k and it had to be completed by July 2015 (which is when the Dullards first left for Danger America). 

Secondly, they are based in Antigua, Guatemala, not El Salvador. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Wait...they built them a house for an eight month staycation?

only because they fundie royalty and would be filming 

wait 

they aren't 

next 

a cheeto fell into my bra 

carry on 

Yes, the house was built for them. Well...not JUST them. I imagine when they move...some other S.O.S. missionaries will move in.

6 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Yes, the house was built for them. Well...not JUST them. I imagine when they move...some other S.O.S. missionaries will move in.

like me :D

not 

On 4/6/2016 at 10:07 AM, HereticHick said:

Maybe she plans to hold that against Izzy for the rest of his life!

Everyone agreeing  with this has obviously never labored for days and then had a c/section. I give Jill some slack here, I only labored for 22 hours  before my c/section, my son is now 18 and I still give him crap about it. His dad still gives him crap for ruining his Thanksgiving diner.  It is mostly in good fun now but  I still roll that story out when he starts to give me to much grief.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived