IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 15

samurai_sarah

I'm quite jealous of all of you who have A/C.  Im in the UK, other than maybe 4/5 nights a year we have no need for it!  It's currently 12 degrees centigrade and foggy! 

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up, we only had a window unit AC in our kitchen.  My dad would only allow us to turn it on if it got to 100 degrees.  We live in Georgia.  I couldn't imagine not having AC down here!

I live in Kentucky. We have hot and humid summers. I also work in a hot warehouse. its nice to come home to a cool house.

I don't ever remember not having AC.  But I live in Florida, so the couple of times when the AC breaks (always in August of course), it's freaking MISERABLE.

I couldn't fit my baby in his bumbo seat after 7 months or so, his thighs were just too chubby. I'm not shocked that Jill is still nursing as she looks like the stereotypical crunchy mom. (I hate that term, btw)

Frankly, I'm glad her and Derick don't have any more children because they're well, them.. but I think Jill is probably upset they don't.

I imagine she can't wait to get home so she can start her repo schedule. If Derrick has any sense, he'll put the breaks on.

What does "crunchy mom" mean?

6 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I imagine she can't wait to get home so she can start her repo schedule. If Derrick has any sense, he'll put the breaks on.

I think it has something to do with granola.  As in hippies, eating natural things such as granola, which is crunchy.  Maybe - I'm not 100% sure lol.

11 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

Kinda what @EmmieJ said. They may breastfeed for an extended period, use cloth diapers (mostly or exclusively), may or may not vaccinate (depending on their beliefs about vaccination), and generally like things to be "natural".

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Kinda what @EmmieJ said. They may breastfeed for an extended period, use cloth diapers (mostly or exclusively), may or may not vaccinate (depending on their beliefs about vaccination), and generally like things to be "natural".

So is "crunchy" an insult? I see nothing wrong with wanting to be as natural as possible... If I ever had kids I'd love to be the same way (except I am pro-vaccination, just using the Japanese vaccine schedule instead of the US.) I don't judge any moms for their choices, but I also don't see what's wrong with being crunchy. 

Just now, Casserole said:

So is "crunchy" an insult? I see nothing wrong with wanting to be as natural as possible... If I ever had kids I'd love to be the same way (except I am pro-vaccination, just using the Japanese vaccine schedule instead of the US.) I don't judge any moms for their choices, but I also don't see what's wrong with being crunchy. 

To some people, crunchy is an insult. I don't use it as one, because there are more accurate terms I could use to talk about parenting techniques I don't think are the best idea.

Temperature here around 40C the last few days - I know that is over 100F, but not sure exact temp, but  37C=98.6F. I have a/c in bedrooms, but only for guests - I don't use it, as it gives me chest infections and colds. I like nice, strong fans, and at the moment am sitting between two!

29 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

To some people, crunchy is an insult. I don't use it as one, because there are more accurate terms I could use to talk about parenting techniques I don't think are the best idea.

Quoting myself to say that as long as the baby and parent(s) are doing the best that they can, there's no abuse or neglect, etc., I don't care what parents do as far as parenting techniques.

40 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Not necessarily. It can be used snidely, but it can also be used by the person themselves as a shorthand description of their lifestyle. It really depends on the context. 

45 minutes ago, Casserole said:

I can't be sure as I am an ESL person.  But I think that "crunchy" is often used to snark on the trend you can see a lot lately when moms try to out-natural each other, sometimes a bit senselessly. I extended breastfed dd, used cloth diapers, try to eat local organic food (much easier to do here in Italy than in the USA I think) and vaxxed dd. I think that sticking to natural things can be very good if done with sense, remembering that natural doesn't mean "good", illnesses are natural, as are arsenic, jimson weed and water hemlock.

@laPapessaGiovanna, wish that I could "like" your comment that 1000 times!

I'm pretty crunchy, but like you I use common sense and remember natural doesn't mean good.

I'm just an old hippie!

4 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@laPapessaGiovanna, wish that I could "like" your comment that 1000 times!

I'm pretty crunchy, but like you I use common sense and remember natural doesn't mean good.

I'm just an old hippie!

Crunchy granola, hippie, tree-hugging, old peacenik here.  I embrace the terms. :my_biggrin:

9 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

I don't ever remember not having AC.  But I live in Florida, so the couple of times when the AC breaks (always in August of course), it's freaking MISERABLE.

I grew up in Wisconsin with no AC and that was fine, but here in FL, it's beyond unbearable in the summer with out AC, mostly due to the humidity.  I have ceiling fans, and the AC man usually can make it the same day if there is an issue.  

The funny this is that when it dips to 55 degrees and everyone is wearing winter coats, hat and boots as if it's some sort of major cold front.

4 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Quoting myself to say that as long as the baby and parent(s) are doing the best that they can, there's no abuse or neglect, etc., I don't care what parents do as far as parenting techniques.

I agree. I roll my eyes a lot at the nitpicky parenting stuff generally and anything "natural is the best!!!!" specifically, but if it's not harming children, it really doesn't matter. 

2 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I grew up in Wisconsin with no AC and that was fine, but here in FL, it's beyond unbearable in the summer with out AC, mostly due to the humidity.  I have ceiling fans, and the AC man usually can make it the same day if there is an issue.  

The funny this is that when it dips to 55 degrees and everyone is wearing winter coats, hat and boots as if it's some sort of major cold front.

I use 55 degrees as an excuse to wear something other than tank tops and sandals.  Lol!  Although I do get chilled sometimes in 55 degrees, not gonna lie.

On the other end of the spectrum, my relatives up north are sweating up a storm at 85 with 30% humidity and I'm in jeans enjoying the nice weather!

A/C is now becoming more common in areas with mosquito illnesses. My niece got dengue a couple months ago, and now my in laws are planning to install ductless air conditioning units in a couple of the bedrooms. The big drawback is the energy costs that are sky high.  

The only people I know in the Middle East are in Saudi Arabia. They definitely use air conditioning when it's very hot. They also tend to stay indoors during the day and go out at night. 

3 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

I use 55 degrees as an excuse to wear something other than tank tops and sandals.  Lol!  Although I do get chilled sometimes in 55 degrees, not gonna lie.

On the other end of the spectrum, my relatives up north are sweating up a storm at 85 with 30% humidity and I'm in jeans enjoying the nice weather!

85?! I'm miserable when it reaches 75. Ha!

7 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

We lived in Key West for 3 years and an hour north of Tampa for 2 more.  I miss the heat (its currently 29 degrees up here in the Midwest) and the beautiful lightning storms but not the humidity and the mosquitos.

10 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

We lived in Key West for 3 years and an hour north of Tampa for 2 more.  I miss the heat (its currently 29 degrees up here in the Midwest) and the beautiful lightning storms but not the humidity and the mosquitos.

I am currently getting bitten like crazy by mosquitoes in Australia. It's autumn (fall) here.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived