IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 15

samurai_sarah

I kind of remember Mac or Michael in one... perhaps I'm imagining it.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I wish I could believe that Jill and Derrick had that much common sense. Sadly, I think the fact she isn't pregnant comes down to pure luck and that Derricks sex drive may be way down due to whatever is going on that makes him look like a castaway. 

I was trying to be all high minded like Bad Wolf and believe they were growing and evolving and then you snark like that and I have my daily spit take!

Bumper seat up high with a small baby unattended/not in physical contact with a grown up...That's safe?

Bumper seat with a baby who's too big for it and certainly strong enough to throw weight around, and mobile enough to attempt to climb out of it and thus more likely to tip it over than a smaller baby...even safer :teasing-dunce:

Interesting....I can't recall seeing high chairs either. But maybe I just never noticed.

The only thing I can remember seeing is one of those seats that attaches to the side of the table.

And maybe once in the background one of those restaurant-type high chairs.

I think I remember booster seats with a tray that go on a chair in the TTH. Knowing the Duggars, they probaby didn't strap them down.

Anyone else think that this will be their last "mission" trip, even if Jill doesn't have another baby for a few years? I get the idea that they are unhappy and this probably isn't the awesome experience Jill thought she would have converting Catholic Christians to Gothard Christians. I think they know they are way in over their heads and can't admit it. Other than Derrick "preaching" twice a week, they likely spend most of their time at home. If they were doing so much more or having such a great impact, they would make sure we know it.  I wonder if they have come in contact with real missionaries that feed the poor, administer to the sick and provide real educations to kids who otherwise would not get one. 

1 minute ago, socalrules said:

Anyone else think that this will be their last "mission" trip, even if Jill doesn't have another baby for a few years? I get the idea that they are unhappy and this probably isn't the awesome experience Jill thought she would have converting Catholic Christians to Gothard Christians. I think they know they are way in over their heads and can't admit it. Other than Derrick "preaching" twice a week, they likely spend most of their time at home. If they were doing so much more or having such a great impact, they would make sure we know it.  I wonder if they have come in contact with real missionaries that feed the poor, administer to the sick and provide real educations to kids who otherwise would not get one. 

I'm a little confused about how SOS fits into this. Weren't the Dullards announced as employed by SOS? When did that begin/end, or did we know? And what did that entail, just being hosts during fundie missioncations?

6 hours ago, anotherone said:

If so, why can't they just say so?  Maybe the key to success of "reality" TV is to not say anything real at all.

Or the heat or danger in CA! Do they have A/C? Can't imagine "hey, hey, hey" when it's hot and humid and all you want to do is lay around and not touch anything! And why should they say so if they're preventing? Would you tell the Internet about your sex life and plans for children? They've already stated that they are leaving it up to God. I don't think they owe anyone an explanation beyond that, whatever it is that means for them. 

Would you tell the Internet about your sex life and plans for children?

No.  But then I don't chose to be a reality TV show star.  People wonder if she is using birth control because their family makes a BFD about NOT using birth control but in Jill's case her Caesarean and the Zika virus both make it dangerous for her to get pregnant at this time.  It would be far too much truth for Jill and Derick to announce that they are waiting to have another baby because of the danger of the Zika virus so we just have to speculate. 1.) They are relying on NFP or 2.) abstention for whatever reason (I agree that Derick might be having health problems) or 3.) they really are "leaving it up to God" or as I prefer to call it, mother nature, in which case Jill may be pregnant already. 

You're right; they don't owe us an explanation but I think it's possible both J&J found their deliveries & motherhoods to be a little more than the breeze their mother let on to. Jessa is such a princess, I can't imagine her handling 2. And we don't really know what the dill's are doing down there. They might be doing just fine & respecting the ppl they meet by not invading their privacy w/cameras. Derrick did say they wanted to go on a mission trip after they got married & before they got too "tied down." And he is a well-educated boy, I think he knows when they get home he has to find another job & shelter before they are saddled w/any more blessings.

You know, there is so much real reality going on in their lives. If they would just show THAT instead of showing them drinking coffee. Like, how did it go w/Anna's M's when "daddy" got home. How is she making out w/the house. How does Jenni feel about her braces? What the heck is wrong w/Derrick.  Give up this front about being the perfect little Christian family. Frankly, given the politicians, they are not making being a Christian look all that appealing down here, right now.

38 minutes ago, Snarkylark said:

Or the heat or danger in CA! Do they have A/C? Can't imagine "hey, hey, hey" when it's hot and humid and all you want to do is lay around and not touch anything! And why should they say so if they're preventing? Would you tell the Internet about your sex life and plans for children? They've already stated that they are leaving it up to God. I don't think they owe anyone an explanation beyond that, whatever it is that means for them. 

OK, like, they started it.  They (or JB) start spouting off on how they are trying right away, the mother went on about her cycles, they went on about not trying to prevent it.  So the horse has left the barn long ago on not telling the internet about their sex life and plans.  If you're going to talk about it on a "reality" show, at least sort of kind of maybe tell something somewhat close to bordering on the truth.

I am hoping Jill and Jessa don't want anywhere near 19 kids.  These aren't the same people we saw as indoctrinated, straight arrow children.  Their TV series opened up a totally different life to them than what they had been living.  They've gotten out(albeit in twos) and seen how other people live, dress, act, think, talk, etc.  They go to the mall, to movies and out to eat among heathens.  I think a lot of our culture has creeped in no matter how hard Michelle and JB have tried to keep in out.  Additionally, and maybe more importantly, they have had to deal with the second fallout of Josh in addition to the first.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out they've given some thought to reproducing like bunnies and how it affected their lives. 

I don't think they are as naive as a lot of people believe.  I think Derrick is a stronger force on Jill, now, than her parents and hopefully wants to space the children they have so as to be a better parent to them.  I think Jessa is never going to give birth to a lot of children because of how it will affect her body...she likes to look good.  I think Ben is gobsmacked by the amount of time and attention S receives/needs and is likely rethinking his idea about having a ton of kids. 

I think reality has set in for all of them.  They don't want to eat out of cans, buy secondhand clothes for everything or put six kids in a room.  I'm hoping they've seen the light.  My guess is 6-8 kids each.

5 hours ago, anotherone said:

Yeah it's too dangerous.

My daughter in South America has one. They are expensive. Anything that your average American (as in NORTH American would want, is very expensive south of the US border). Imported items are often heavily taxed.

On 4/8/2016 at 11:30 PM, Snarkylark said:

Do they have A/C?. 

I don't think they have A/C. While Izzy chewed on the fan, Derick talked about how Izzy doesn't realize that AC is "normal in the US" and has gotten used to sleeping with a fan on to keep cool.

I'm really very impressed with everything that they have in their house.

They have a full sized refrigerator, four burner stove, running water in the kitchen and bathroom and what appears to be a washing machine (she does line dry the clothes).

That is living very well--I would suspect they have substantially more luxuries than most people whom  they are "ministering" to. 

I had a friend who was a missionary in Guatemala for 20+ years.  In 20 years, she didn't acquire more than two burners and a small refrigerator.  Washed her clothes in a wash tub--like the women in her community.  She left Guatemala two years ago, so this wasn't a standard from decades ago.

ETA:  and by impressed I mean surprised that they managed to acquire all of this by grifting.

On 4/10/2016 at 10:28 AM, missegeno said:

I don't think they have A/C. While Izzy chewed on the fan, Derick talked about how Izzy doesn't realize that AC is "normal in the US" and has gotten used to sleeping with a fan on to keep cool.

Heck, in the last 5 years, I've had AC for 2 years and 3 months of it. In the states. 

I'd extra-super-double-extra roll my eyes if they had AC AND kept talking about how hard everything was. 

I don't have AC now- Now generally I do not need it but, last Tuesday, as an example, it was 90 here, in early April, so it does occasionally happen.

TG for ceiling fans!

Most people in El Salvador don't have ac but you'd be surprised at how comfortable it can be. In fact, I'd rather spend my summer there than in NYC (weather wise). I think it's that the houses are designed differently and use different materials. I've seen houses that don't have walls all the way through, so it's just a flow into the backyard.  

I think Dericks comment about Izzy being more used to having no ac was kinda stupid. I mean, I grew up in the states and never had ac until last summer (I ponied up the $120 at Sears for a small window unit). Also, he's an infant and will have approximately zero recollection of his 6 months in El Salvador with out ac.  

I have ya had ac in any place I've lived in the last 11 years. College was actually not so great. My apt had zero airflow, and my last summer there it was in the 90's, with humidity reaching well into the 90s  I lived in my swim suit, alternating between the pool and a hammock strung up In my lofted bed. 

I currently live in a cold climate, so it's really only hot a few weeks out of the year. Then the monsoons come in and cool things off. Usually right around the time we start thinking how nice ac would be. 

A young friend is teaching in a city in Madagascar. She has running water only a few hours a day, and it is not always warm. Cooking and baking are done with help of a small hot plate and a fuel fired traditional oven. No gated community.  She says that she has learned far more from her students than she could ever have dreamed.....and I can only hope J and D have at least a taste of her experience. Her job is through the ELCA (Lutherans). A family member left today after taking a job in the Middle East with a company from that country that works in tandem with USAid. She's 21 and is gone for 18 months, to start. Here is my bias and my frustration: my personal theology says get your hands dirty.  To me, Jesus said 'Feed my lambs....tend my sheep'.....not 'pray for these poor confused sheep because they are following a different shepherd'. Yes, personally, I pray a lot. But if someone is in need, they need someone with REAL SKILLS working in tandem with their community, not coming in and saying....or implying....that their home, their faith, their tradition, their culture is desperately in need of white salvation and a Chick Fil A franchise or two! Supposedly, they read their Bibles. In Genesis, God created the world, and God said that the WORLD was good. Not just Gothard's part. And yes, that was before Eve snacked.....but after the Flood, after the Resurrection.....so how can they possibly think that they are free to judge  SINtral  Americans' faith and culture?  Doesn't Gothard teach them that  to think they know everything is prideful, and that's a  no-no in Big Sandyland, right?  * please note:  trying to process  their......whatever....through the prism of my own beliefs, which may not be yours, and I'm not trying to proselytize.  Plus  I'm  crabby  with myself  for getting upset, because if I truly believe  it is everyone's right to decide what  they believe, then I shouldn't be getting  my undies in a bunch over a bunch  of people  on  a  ' reality ' show.  Oh, well.....I don't yell at the tv during all manner of sportsing broadcasts.   Maybe this  IS sportsing, Kjaerringa style! Perhaps I should finish my cup of Earl Grey tea and pound a brewski  and burp.......

I've never actually lived in a home with ac. In part because I've lived mostly in the northern us, so it's rarely been as intensely and unfalteringly hot as an Arizona or Texas summer.

I have had AC in every house I've lived in. Though I briefly lived in CA where we had a crappy wall AC in our apartment. It was basically useless. I was miserable.

I've turned AC on in our house when it's in the 60's outside (if the sun is streaming in...it's too hot inside.) So yeah...I am spoiled and need my central AC! :)

I grew up in Tennessee and didn't have air conditioning of any kind until I was about nine or ten. We had a really hot summer and my parents got one of those window units for our living room. (I also got my hair cut short for the first time due to the heat.) We didn't have central air till we moved to another house when I was eleven. 

We moved to a different state when I was in high school and I have never had air conditioning where I lived since, including right now.

For me, having air conditioning has been much less common than not having it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived