IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting On - Part 4

choralcrusader8613

8 minutes ago, Funwithfundies said:

I only caught the last 20 minutes or so.  Three things that jumped out at me:

1) The scene where an infant car seat is in a moving car with the handle still up.  I see this all of the time on TV, and it makes me stabby - put the damn handle DOWN.

2). The two babies hanging out (in car seats, of course) at the nail salon - no one was available to watch them so they didn't have to suck nail salon fumes into their tiny developing lungs?

3). A quick shot of baby Meri on the floor, just off her blanket - I was rooting for her to make it away from the blanket and out the door.  :my_smile:

Holy crap!  I went with a friend when she had a pedicure and literally could not sit there more than 5 minutes due to the noxious fumes.  Someone should do an investigation of some of those places!  No wonder the workers are always in masks.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, biblelandjunkie said:

I totally agree with you..... and I bet the party took forever even with all the people and presents and game after game...and all had to be lit by crew and shot by crew... and it was an evening party as well...yawn

And no alcohol!

When they talked about how much work it is for the shower, and how many cookies they had to make, etc, I was thinking that I know an easy solution! Don't invite every person you've ever met to your party!

In all seriousness, I just went to a bridal shower that was practically as nice as a wedding itself.  It was at a banquet hall, there was assigned seating and everything.  Now, a few years ago, my mom and I threw a bridal shower for my cousin in my parent's living room.  We fed guests food made in our crock-pot and store-bought cupcakes (and champagne!).  One shower was a lot less stressful than the other!

15 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

When they talked about how much work it is for the shower, and how many cookies they had to make, etc, I was thinking that I know an easy solution! Don't invite every person you've ever met to your party!

In all seriousness, I just went to a bridal shower that was practically as nice as a wedding itself.  It was at a banquet hall, there was assigned seating and everything.  Now, a few years ago, my mom and I threw a bridal shower for my cousin in my parent's living room.  We fed guests food made in our crock-pot and store-bought cupcakes (and champagne!).  One shower was a lot less stressful than the other!

That baby shower was nicer than all three Duggar weddings so far.

3 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

That baby shower was nicer than all three Duggar weddings so far.

I agree, and I bet it has something to do with it not being for a Duggar.  From what we saw, they could care less about their parties and the experiences they are giving their own guests.  Let's all recall Jessa's attitude towards planning her wedding... 

45 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Holy crap!  I went with a friend when she had a pedicure and literally could not sit there more than 5 minutes due to the noxious fumes.  Someone should do an investigation of some of those places!  No wonder the workers are always in masks.

There have been some  studies done, some even link long term exposure to horrible conditions like ALS. We had neighbors from Vietnam that run a nail salon (There should be some sort of reality series or documentary done on the nail  salon business). The competition is crazy, they spy on each other via their kids. I adored my neighbor's kids, the salon was open 8-10pm everyday and the mom and dad would work everyday so when I saw the kids going to the salon everyday I started letting them stay with us. Besides the fumes which I can't stand for more then a minute, 2 of the 3 kids had asthma type symptoms and one had a terrible rash from the remover. None of the kids had ever seen a doctor or dentist  and they had no insurance. They used the kids to remove the client's nail polish and these kids were in elementary school. Myself and a few school teachers were determined that these kids would not be in the business generationally and would go on to higher education. I'm happy to report the oldest is starting at dental school in the fall :)  with part of the reasoning to help the kids of the nail salon community that never see a dentist.

I got to know some of the workers that were not family but came from Vietnam. One worker who lived in a small "casita" (if you can call it that it was a 10x10 bedroom with a hot plate and mini fridge in the hall , next to a small bathroom) next door. He was married and left Vietnam when his child was born. The salon paid his way in return for him working for a certain numbers of years and giving him lodging. He walked 6 miles a day to the salon and it gets to be 105+ here. He would sit outside some nights and cry looking at pictures of his son grow up without him and he would point to the neighborhood  school and say that is the place my son will go to school. He admitted he hated doing nails, hated the fumes and had constant headaches. Five years later he was able to bring his wife and son here and his son does go to that school now. He still walks to the salon and says the joy of his family being here takes away for how ill he feels.

If you wonder why the many many issues especially with child labor and health issues  are not reported , it is because the state boards are controlled by friends and family.  I know several reports were filled by our school employees and nothing came of it because the board in the 2 states the reports were filed in were carefully chosen to overlook things.

9 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Admittedly, I didn't watch the show, but I am enjoying your recaps.

I really liked this conversation. Even though Joy isn't allowed to be closer with her brothers, I like that there is still a closeness that couldn't be stopped. I really think Joy's brothers will be more critical of her potential suitors and not let a Ben through, the way I have a feeling that JD has done for Jana. I guess we know where Jessa stood with her brothers.

Brothers having to approve spouses?  If these girls aren't mature enough to pick their own spouses, then they sure as hell aren't mature enough to be getting married.

11 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Brothers having to approve spouses?  If these girls aren't mature enough to pick their own spouses, then they sure as hell aren't mature enough to be getting married.

And certainly not to have their own child within 1 year's time.

@silverspoons The New York Times wrote a 2 part series on the conditions of the Nail Salon workers last year. It was an eye opening article! I don't know what changed after these articles. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/nyregion/at-nail-salons-in-nyc-manicurists-are-underpaid-and-unprotected.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/11/nyregion/nail-salon-workers-in-nyc-face-hazardous-chemicals.html

39 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And certainly not to have their own child within 1 year's time.

Why not?  You can start raising a baby at age 12 in these families.

56 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Unfortunately, under the regime which Joy lives, a suitor must meet with Jim Bob's approval in order to court one of the girls. I know that we on this board vehemently disagree with this system, and several have expressed their hope for Joy to escape, perhaps with the help of cousin Amy. I don't see this happening as quickly as I'd like, based on her "friendship" with Sierra. Therefore, I'm thinking that Joy will court at some point, although the thought makes me ill. Since all dates must be obnoxiously chaperoned, and since her suitor will be around her brothers, I can see those close to Joy offering their opinion. 

For those not in the quiverful lifestyle, I know of women who take into account the opinions of family members and male friends when starting to date a guy. Their opinions aren't the making or breaking part of a relationship, but sometimes guys see things about each other that they hide from women, at least for a little while. This goes the other way as well. I would have no problem speaking up to a male friend if he were in a relationship and I saw red flags for some kind of abuse. Again, they wouldn't need my permission to date or not to date, but opinions may be offered, whether they are followed or not.

2 hours ago, Funwithfundies said:

1) The scene where an infant car seat is in a moving car with the handle still up.  I see this all of the time on TV, and it makes me stabby - put the damn handle DOWN.

It's actually not required to be down, many infant carriers allow all locked positions, and some even require the handle to be up.

http://thecarseatlady.com/handle/

19 minutes ago, Felloffthetree said:

It's actually not required to be down, many infant carriers allow all locked positions, and some even require the handle to be up.

http://thecarseatlady.com/handle/

Wow - I stand corrected.  My last child in an infant carrier was nine years ago, and obviously things have changed.  At the time, the rule was handle down or else the car seat wouldn't move properly in an accident.  Thanks for the heads up!

2 minutes ago, Funwithfundies said:

Wow - I stand corrected.  My last child in an infant carrier was nine years ago, and obviously things have changed.  At the time, the rule was handle down or else the car seat wouldn't move properly in an accident.  Thanks for the heads up!

Absolutely! It's amazing how things change with time, but that's why I'm a car seat tech, so that I can get that information out there and keep littles safe. 

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

Why not?  You can start raising a baby at age 12 in these families.

Not successfully.

Proof is in the outcome- 0 for 19-

I know that the Duggars have some serious issues regarding bias and racism, but has anything ever been said about POC? The reason I wondered is because of Ben and this rapping business. Would JB and Michelle have an issue because Flame is a POC?

5 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I know that the Duggars have some serious issues regarding bias and racism, but has anything ever been said about POC? The reason I wondered is because of Ben and this rapping business. Would JB and Michelle have an issue because Flame is a POC?

it's a storyline - it has already ended - 

you don't see any more pictures do you :D

Is there really that big of a difference between a Duggar girl hanging out with Sierra than with Amy (Duggar?) If they can't hang out unsupervised with Amy then why with Sierra?

3 minutes ago, Withagrainofsalt said:

Is there really that big of a difference between a Duggar girl hanging out with Sierra than with Amy (Duggar?) If they can't hang out unsupervised with Amy then why with Sierra?

Because Sierra drinks the kool-aide and Amy might have them question things.  Sierra's a good influence, a nice young lady who is married and produces a new baby every 18 months.  Amy wears pants and listens to regular music.

Of course, now they might actually have a good reason: Sierra is invested on helping this family rebuild and return to the spotlight, while Amy has been selling  criticism and dark secrets to tabloids.  

I don't like Sierra, but if I had a relative selling stories to People, I wouldn't want anyone hanging out with her unsupervised anyway.   Who knows what she might twist and sell? 

Just realized. Of COURSE Jinger can't be a professional photographer.....portrait photographer. Even in the fundy world, how many clients would follow Duggar modesty and courting standards? Mom and Dad would insist on that. Someone needs to send the girl a book of Ansel Adams' work.......even Jim Bob couldn't find nature objectionable, could he?

This may be the only time I ever say this, but I think they have the right idea about coed showers. Not to eliminate any awkwardness, because why are you inviting people you feel awkward around, but because baby showers (and bridal showers) are just so freaking boring! 

I've been to at least a dozen of each over the last five years and they're just painful. Dressing up, sitting in a church social hall or some relative's living room, playing awful games, and balancing a plate of frankly mediocre party food on one's lap--woo hoo. If the presence of men livens that up, because let's face it, what man would do that?--I'm in favor. 

2 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

I didn't take it that brothers have to approve spouses but that the brothers will be looking carefully at potential suitors because they care.  I have run into this in non-fundy families as well, and sisters may "look out" for brothers as well as vice-versa.

22 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Because Sierra drinks the kool-aide and Amy might have them question things.  Sierra's a good influence, a nice young lady who is married and produces a new baby every 18 months.  Amy wears pants and listens to regular music.

Of course, now they might actually have a good reason: Sierra is invested on helping this family rebuild and return to the spotlight, while Amy has been selling  criticism and dark secrets to tabloids.  

I don't like Sierra, but if I had a relative selling stories to People, I wouldn't want anyone hanging out with her unsupervised anyway.   Who knows what she might twist and sell? 

That makes perfect sense. I didn't start reading on Duggar drama until after Amy was fired/canceled. Thank you for the information. 

Are we sure it was Amy selling Duggar details to the tabloids? I thought there were a couple of sources but I could be wrong.

Finally watching it.

What is up with Sierra holding her chin up when she is on camera, even when driving the car.  Is it that selfie thing, to make herself look better.

I'm sorry, amateur baker here.  Decorating cookies isn't really that hard.  It is time consuming.  All they are really doing it outlining and filling in.  With some detail lines added.  For someone who has supposedly made chocolate covered strawberries professionally, it shouldn't have come as a surprise.  Perhaps it was just the volume that has overwhelmed her.

The scene of the glasses search was filmed before the trip to CA. Because the office was filled with the backpack boxes.

The tree house thing is just stupid.  The girls shopping trip doubly so.  Of course, the perfect kitchen set was there.

Ah, yeah, these are advertisements for 'we have an eligible daughter or son."  Keeps making me think of the Betazoid tradition of the family going into mourning because of a spinster daughter. (my nerd is leaking through)

Sierra didn't show up until what, about three seasons ago.  Weird that she's been the best friend for all these years. 

Notice there weren't as many 'likes' in this episode?  Though still "and, and and...".  Now if we can only get the to stop using the phrase 'us girls' and substitute instead 'my sisters and I'.

Yes, Mr. Tribe just verified that Joy does not have to grow out of 'being one of the boys".  Guys actually like that. I was 'one of the boys'.  Been happily married for over 30 years. One can enjoy doing guy stuff, and still be girlie''

Mr. Tribe just commented, during discussion of courtship "Do they check her teeth?"

Yup, yup, they brought in an actual contractor to finish the tree house project. 

In most of these talking heads, Joy has no spirit, no soul, in her eyes.  Neither does JD in his. 

Jessa is trying so hard to be hip and relevant. She comes off as somebody's parent or grandparents trying to be hip and relevant.  it's just not working

They took their babies into the nail salon, with all those fumes?  Yuck.

Mr. Tribe asks if this cult has a contest to see who can come up with the stupidest name for the baby?

"I ever seen...."

Is Spurgeon a read head? I've seen several pictures where he looks like a red head.

As to the previews, Ben rapping. Apparently someone else is glooming onto the Duggars in a sad attempt to bolster their careers.  OMG. And, OMG WE CAN'T GET A HOLD OF JILL FOR FIVE MINUTES.  GOD FORBID WE SHOULD HAVE LIVED IN A TIME BEFORE THE INTERNET OR CELL PHONES!!!!!  MANUFACTURED DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA

Sorry this episode as just too dull to really snark on.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived