IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting On - Part 4

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I am an adult, an experienced baker whose cookies and cakes are in demand at potlucks and sell fast at fundraisers. And I consider attractive cookie decorating (the sort people want for a party) difficult and time-consuming unless you just use sprinkles or sugar. 

I have baked with artistically gifted 4 year olds, and what they can do to decorate a cookie is not quite as polished as what I saw in the pictures of the baby shower.   So although I agree that even a four-year-old can make some "legible" designs on cookies, I think Joy may have been talking about something a bit more attractive.  

Let's rush to snark about everything they do and say.  There is plenty that really deserves snarking about, but saying that doing a good job on decorating cookies is hard is not snarkable, IMHO.   Heck, if it were easy, I might have opened a cookie business years ago. ;)

It's really not that hard, especially if you are patient. Anything worth doing well takes time, I will snark on complaining about it because there are harder and more time consuming things out there.

ha I finally finish it. I think it only took like three hours. I will say that Kristen looked very happy and she actually seems like a real person on camera.

35 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

It's really not that hard, especially if you are patient. Anything worth doing well takes time, I will snark on complaining about it because there are harder and more time consuming things out there.

Yes, there are "harder and more time consuming things" than decorating cookies.  

But I guess not everyone here has your patience and the skill shown by 4-year-olds in your family.  

I didn't think Joy was "complaining" that decorating cookies was hard. I "heard" it as a casual comment.  I could see myself making a similar remark (without it being a complaint) about something that took skill and patience and (what I think may be the issue here) practice before it becomes easy.

But by all means, snark away.

This episode was just another turd in a field of poop.

It is kinda disapppointing to me that the older kids decided to make the tree house so large and complicated that the howlers and littles don't really get to help build it. Even when they were building the TTH, the kids had their own drills and got to participate a little.

Furthermore, I get that the fort is a playhouse, but it's funny to me that Jana and them went to buy stuff to make a play kitchen. The tree house could be a great many things to the imagination, but let's put a kitchen in there so the girls can pretend-cook for the boys while they're being cowboys or astronauts. 

Can I take a moment to reiterate how miserable Jennifer seems? That poor girl always looks like she hates her life.

At least I can offer mild gratitude to TLC for sparing us from any Boob and Mechelle speaking scenes in CA.

I think this super-contrived show is either TLC's love letter to leghumpers, or the editors' secret plan to let the family's awkwardness and boring on-screen life kill itself off.

23 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

This episode was just another turd in a field of poop.

It is kinda disapppointing to me that the older kids decided to make the tree house so large and complicated that the howlers and littles don't really get to help build it. Even when they were building the TTH, the kids had their own drills and got to participate a little.

Furthermore, I get that the fort is a playhouse, but it's funny to me that Jana and them went to buy stuff to make a play kitchen. The tree house could be a great many things to the imagination, but let's put a kitchen in there so the girls can pretend-cook for the boys while they're being cowboys or astronauts. 

Can I take a moment to reiterate how miserable Jennifer seems? That poor girl always looks like she hates her life.

At least I can offer mild gratitude to TLC for sparing us from any Boob and Mechelle speaking scenes in CA.

I think this super-contrived show is either TLC's love letter to leghumpers, or the editors' secret plan to let the family's awkwardness and boring on-screen life kill itself off.

Who's jurisdiction will the fort be?  Someone is going to have to clean that thing! 

I kind of envision Josh hanging his flag out the side of the thing, installing air conditioning, and establishing his own fiefdom. 

Wasnt it boob's original intent to have homes built for all his progeny on the cult land?

On April 6, 2016 at 0:23 PM, Buzzard said:

Wasnt it boob's original intent to have homes built for all his progeny on the cult land?

Yep. Something like a 40 acre Duggarville. barf.

16 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Commercials for Nova Scotia, Canada:  The Boss, Credit Repair Pros, WWF, Mother's Day, Match.com, Quit Your Day Job - Oxygen, The Jungle Book, American Idol - Fox, RAINN, Fruitocracy, The Huntsman's Winter War, and Angel Care Ins. Services.

Not Ashley Madison?

16 hours ago, bella8050 said:

My favorite part of the episode: One of the older boys being shown walking on one of the loose "treehouse" poles a good 15 ft in the air and JD yelling for him not to do that, and in his TH says "we don't have insurance for stupidity".

I was impressed though, he was pretty agile and stayed up.  I would have guessed that maybe he'd trip over splinters because they got the poles from the second-hand gently-used section of the lumberyard.

On 1 April 2016 at 9:24 PM, choralcrusader8613 said:

Recap from Part 3:

Jana and Jinger are supposedly breaking jender roles by doing house repairs and selling cars.

Jinger's role in flipping the car is questionable.

Ben is snarky about the word babysitting when it applies to parenting his kid (gee, wonder why?)

Joy's "episode" is coming up on April 5.

The Duggars are as awkward as ever.

Take it away, y'all!

It's probably because Dertick received quite a lot of ballads when he said he was "babysitting" Izzy

Just now, Graceshepard said:

It's probably because Dertick received quite a lot of ballads when he said he was "babysitting" Izzy

I know ;) It was sarcasm from my being annoyed at Ben and Derick.

3 hours ago, BadMurphy said:

Also if I were Jill I would be a little sad that Joy had so clearly replaced me with Sierra, even though it was her choice to go to leave.

Wasn't there a scene in a previous show where Jessa acted kind of jealous when Jana and Jinger had a TH together and said they grew a lot closer now that the married girls were gone.  After all they are sisters, which means there was probably a lot of alliances forming and shifting and probably dissolving over the years.

1 hour ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Jennifer is miserable because she's been separated from her mother....Jill. Based on episode 3 though, it seems as if Joy is trying to fill that void to some extent. She took her along with her when she went to buy glasses.

I don't know how she'll manage when Joy starts courting..

From the size and complexity of the play fort, I think TLC provided more than just materials- more likely they found a design professional to create plans, submitted building permits and a construction crew to redo errr I mean "finish" the work the kidults started.  

After stalking cookie ladies instagram, I have to admit that she has some serious talent and seems to be attempting to make it into a job.  Seems to teach classes (at the kitchen shop perhaps?).  Sierra pops up on her instagram feed.  I wonder if Sierra didn't pimp out cookie lady and kitchen shop to TLC to try to work her "party planning skills" into their rather successful businesses?

Sierra and Joy must have driven her crazy with their crap decorating attempts and Sierra's mixer question (seriously? you don't know how to scrape the sides?)

Another props for cookie lady:  she posted a picture of her daughter practicing gymnastics in a (NIKE!) leotard.  She may be fundie, but she isn't full in cult.

Hey TLC, if you really want a special--give her a short term cooking show where she shares some of those industry secrets!

1 hour ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Oh no, future episode - Jennifer at Alert camp.

9 minutes ago, anotherone said:

Wasn't there a scene in a previous show where Jessa acted kind of jealous when Jana and Jinger had a TH together and said they grew a lot closer now that the married girls were gone.  After all they are sisters, which means there was probably a lot of alliances forming and shifting and probably dissolving over the years.

Yes, there was an episode where Jessa said Jana and Jinger had gotten closer, but Jinger still "tells her all the secrets so it's ok"

5 hours ago, Bazinga said:

RE- Coed Baby Shower. I truly think this is a new hyped up phenomenon (and maybe in my own unpopular opinion-another way to gift grab). My SIL is insisting on a coed shower (and we are FAR from fundie). My husband has been whining to me about it now for months. During our last conversation (a few weeks ago), she gleefully stated that there will be more then 175 people in attendance and she is renting out this huge room. Personally I don't get it. The way she discusses it, it sounds like a wedding reception. I just thank the Lord I'm not the one footing the bill for this thing.

Gone are the simple days where gals just get together and squee over little baby clothes and eat cake. Now everything is themed, catered, artfully decorated, and a small fortune.

175 people?! Dang...we didn't even have that many at our wedding. I am so not a party person so I would have hated a baby shower that large. Mine was just my female relatives. It was at my aunts house. We had food (just sandwiches, salads, fruit, vegetables), opened some presents, had cake and just hung out. It was nice. No theme. No pinterest decor.

I haven't been invited to a co-ed baby shower. I was invited to a co-ed "bridal" shower. It was okay. Just family and hanging out like above.

I think my family is just really boring or something. I'm okay with it.

She is renting out a room and throwing her own baby shower?  In my family- if a relative throws the shower then the invites are family only.  If a friend throws the shower- they invite whomever they want but usually ask for a list of people as well.  

I would seriously hate to have to sit there while someone opens gifts from 175 people- it might only be 50 gifts, but that is still about 40 more than I want to sit through....

20 minutes ago, Graceshepard said:

Jennifer is miserable because she's been separated from her mother....Jill. Based on episode 3 though, it seems as if Joy is trying to fill that void to some extent. She took her along with her when she went to buy glasses.

I think Jenny always seemed to be a generally unhappy kid, even before Mommy Jill abandoned her.

It might be because she's a strong introvert trapped in a world of endless noise and activity with no privacy or quiet place to recover from the constant chaos.   The TTH must be a hellish place for a quiet kid just looking for a little space and peace in her life.

It's so obvious that the treehouse is they guys' project. Jana's just observing and it's too dangerous for the younger kids

I planned my sister's first baby shower. It was the typical women only kind. I sent out invitations to our family, her now ex's family, and friends. Both sets families and friends lived in or very close to Tiny Town. Everybody knew each other and had a good time..

3 hours ago, TXGirlInAMaterialWorld said:

She is renting out a room and throwing her own baby shower?  In my family- if a relative throws the shower then the invites are family only.  If a friend throws the shower- they invite whomever they want but usually ask for a list of people as well.  

I would seriously hate to have to sit there while someone opens gifts from 175 people- it might only be 50 gifts, but that is still about 40 more than I want to sit through....

I totally agree with you..... and I bet the party took forever even with all the people and presents and game after game...and all had to be lit by crew and shot by crew... and it was an evening party as well...yawn

On April 6, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Graceshepard said:

Jennifer has seemed miserable to me long before Jill left

On April 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

I think Jenny always seemed to be a generally unhappy kid, even before Mommy Jill abandoned her.

It might be because she's a strong introvert trapped in a world of endless noise and activity with no privacy or quiet place to recover from the constant chaos.   The TTH must be a hellish place for a quiet kid just looking for a little space and peace in her life.

Agreed. I think it was the episode in 19 kids when Michelle takes her to go get her first pair of glasses, she describes Jenny as "very serious" or something like that, but I think she is a frustrated and annoyed little girl. I probably would be too in her circumstances...

I actually quite liked this episode. I think because the focus was on Joy and she is my favourite Duggar, when she said her cookies would look like trash I think she displayed more personality than all of Jill's THs ever.

Speaking of Jill, it kind of threw me that when DQ hugged her she wasn't letting go. Proof that DQ has a tiny maternal bone in her body.

The episodes are weird to be because they are like the biggest personal ad ever. Showing what the older girls can do, it should be called 'Date My Duggar'.

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode for 2 reasons...1) we get to see Bin making a tit out himself rapping and 2) I'm on holiday in New York, finally on the right side of the Atlantic to watch this the same time you guys do. I think the TV in my hotel room has all the cable channels, what time is it on in the US? I'll make sure I have the wine ready!

I only caught the last 20 minutes or so.  Three things that jumped out at me:

1) The scene where an infant car seat is in a moving car with the handle still up.  I see this all of the time on TV, and it makes me stabby - put the damn handle DOWN.

2). The two babies hanging out (in car seats, of course) at the nail salon - no one was available to watch them so they didn't have to suck nail salon fumes into their tiny developing lungs?

3). A quick shot of baby Meri on the floor, just off her blanket - I was rooting for her to make it away from the blanket and out the door.  :my_smile:

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived