IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting On - Part 4

choralcrusader8613

What Sierra's comments about including men in showers pointed out to me is that their lifestyle impedes any sort of normal friendships in all phases of life.  Their family is everything and the only thing these women have.  She didn't say the more the merrier but that it would be awkward to have a social gathering of just women.  

Most showers I have been to where women only- which I didn't mind.  The guys usually met up and did something else and then dropped by at the end to thank everyone, load up gifts and nosh on any leftover food.  Baby showers generally have tots running around but I prefer bridal showers that are after dark adults only affairs.  That way you can have a few drinks and a few laughs as some of the more colorful gifts are opened.  

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when Bristol Palin was on Dancing with the Stars? She was soooo bad, but kept getting saved every week because of the rabid ferocity of her mother's conservative fans and their voting. It's the same mentality with the Duggar leghumpers and this new show. No matter how bland it is, they've got to rally behind it, because Jesus.

Didn't TLC do this with JK+8? When they could no longer hide the dis function from the public, the camera angles and the storylines all changed. We saw all the backstory stuff. I confess, the Palin camping trip drew me as a moth to a flame. PALIN came off the hero....and there was some petty something or another over RVs and the last piece of take out pizza later on. It was as though TLC was begging viewers to revolt. Here.....no trips. Unsafe projects. Incredibly repetitive, and boring, daily lives....with the underlying sadness of the girls hiding their lights under a bushel, so to speak, while they wait for God to speak through their father about their lives, due to their missing penises, and all. I can't watch it at all anymore. Jana's interview broke my heart. I want so badly for her to rescue herself.....to get herself up on that big white horse and gallop off into the sunset to a nice little Midwestern town with less humidity, a good liberal arts college nearby, and a thriving local foods  scene.

1 hour ago, nst said:

What we learned tonight

JD doesn’t live at home

During the last GMA interview, when asked who still lived at home, JD raised his hand. He may own a home but he's not living in it, presumably because that would mean being out from his parents' "umbrella of protection."

I'm not a fan of traditional showers for weddings or babies where it's in a restaurant and spend most of your time at the same table...and I hate the games. Some events I've been too I've felt very rushed because the staff started resetting the place even when there's still 30+ minutes left to the event, which becomes very distracting. The co-ed showers I've gone to have been at someone's home and it's more of a relaxed BBQ, get up and mingle atmosphere, which makes the difference to me not because the men are there to save the party from being "awkward". Some of my friends from college and I do have a girls only party every holiday season at one of our homes, and we are plenty of fun without men being there!

15 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I honestly thought that was Ben walking on the poles. lolololol.....talk about stupidity

LOL maybe it was. That would be even better.

Thanks for the recap, as I was painting a room and literally watching paint dry was better than the Duggars.

Caught bits and pieces later:  Who pays for these massive showers?  Sierra rents a space and prepares all this crap (does she only know how to make food that requires drizzling chocolate?)  I really can't believe that TLC cares enough to foot a shower for taco baby.  I'm guessing that cookie lady gave the cookies just so she could get product placement--which she got on Sierra's instagram.  And did anyone else get a chuckle over taco mamas reaction to her dad?  At first I thought she was greeting him (still blind folded) thinking it was her taco daddy.

Anna seems more real in the non TH moments.  When she's having a normal conversation (not answering questions about Joshley and not having coffee with Blessa), she doesn't do that strange mouth twisting thing and looks less pained.  She was sweet and engaging on the stupid glasses hunt and her comment about eating the cookies at the shower was actually rather funny.  Every so often, there's a glimpse that she may have a clue that they're counting on a train wreck.

So the "tree" house is getting a three episode arc? It's almost getting as much air time as the TTH build.

Why is the title of the show  Jill and Jessa?  Why not just "Counting On"?  Clearly Jill is filming her portion.  TLC didn't even send a crew with the family on their annual SOS trip.  TLC isn't putting as much money into these shows--even the tree house isn relatively cheap compared to other TLC giveaways/trips.  And what's with the constant questions about courting and marriage?  TLC producer is starting to creep me out with the constant need to track the kidults dating habits.

36 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

During the last GMA interview, when asked who still lived at home, JD raised his hand. He may own a home but he's not living in it, presumably because that would mean being out from his parents' "umbrella of protection."

I actually just saw the episode, and the exact quote was, "I have a place to live." So he is intentionally misdirecting people. Because that statement is ambiguous at best. 

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

SO...

Sierra has been Anna's BFF

Sierra has been Jessa's friend

And now, she purportedly has been Joy's friend for years?

Can TLC not remember the shit they shill or have shilled?

Maybe they should just say "Sierra is the only non-Duggar who will let us film her constantly hanging out with the Duggars." 

Decorating cookies is hard? When my younger cousins were 4 they could make legible designs on cookies. These are supposed adults?

I'm guessing that when Anna says Joy treats the m kids like siblings she means that Joy basically raises them right? I mean that's what being a sibling seems to mean in this family.

Hi All!  As you can tell by my name, I'm new to Duggarland & I find these people really fascinating (in a can't stop watching a crazy spectacle kind of way).  You're all really hilarious and I've enjoyed reading your comments, lol.  One thing I've noticed after watching the Counting On episodes is that Anna seems a lot more candid and unfiltered than the rest of the Duggars.  A couple of episodes ago, when everybody was saying "We're going to Cintral America ..." , she actually specified El Salvador - as if she was the only one who didn't get the memo that the country was to remain a secret.  And then tonight, when all the sisters were going on and on about how great the shower was and how talented Sierra and Joy are, Anna revealed that no one was eating their cookies so she ate a whole bunch so they wouldn't feel bad.  That made me chuckle :my_biggrin:    

Asking who will be the next to court is just getting annoying. Why are they now including the production prompts? Previously the actual questions the TH were responding to were seldom heard. 

And J'Chelle had one of those cheap "get to heaven" backpacks on when she and boob were visiting. 

5 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Maybe they should just say "Sierra is the only non-Duggar who will let us film her constantly hanging out with the Duggars." 

Or maybe she is one of the few non Duggars who can stand to hang out with them. Dull, dreary people.

7 hours ago, marmalade said:

I actually just saw the episode, and the exact quote was, "I have a place to live." So he is intentionally misdirecting people. Because that statement is ambiguous at best. 

Sharing a room with Jackson and 7 other younger brothers probably wouldn't come to mind as a good thing in his life at age 26.

My own guess is that he's been living on his own for some time, but they won't come out and admit it.  I agree with poster who said he's probably resisting getting a steady girlfriend because he'd have to go through a courtship that is supposed to lead to marriage.  On television.  Another example of the show derailing lives. 

I confess I am fascinated by the Sierra fixation.  TLC, why?  She's not talented or interesting or funny or photogenic.  Half the time you seem to be making fun of her overall incompetence but it's never funny because we know in the end the crew will help her pull off whatever she's been tasked to do.  She's a poor substitute for cousin Famy.  At least Amy had some real world spark. Sierra's just a hyperactive fundie.

I get that TLC needs cheap story lines because they aren't going to invest money in what is likely a limited venture.  But a baby shower for a totally random woman who appeared to be about 5 months pregnant at the time?   Proof they are desperate for story lines but apparently don't want to spend too much time in Central America with one of the headliners of the show for some reason.

20 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I confess I am fascinated by the Sierra fixation.  TLC, why?  She's not talented or interesting or funny or photogenic.  Half the time you seem to be making fun of her overall incompetence but it's never funny because we know in the end the crew will help her pull off whatever she's been tasked to do.  She's a poor substitute for cousin Famy.  At least Amy had some real world spark. Sierra's just a hyperactive fundie.

I couldnt put my finger on it, but you're right.  Sierra is a Famy sub.  She's "wild" and has "energy" and functions as an "independent woman."  Famy had her musak kareer and Sierra plans parties! They're exactly the same in Duggarville!

sierra.jpg

Sierra certainly seems to be giving herself top billing - "...laugh until you cry watchign Jess, Joy, and I pull it all together!"  Um... it wasnt funny, not in the least.  Its also interesting that she clearly did some product placement.  We already knew that was the deal with the coffee shop and the taco joint, but it looks like Sierra did a bit more pimping that we are used to in a Duggar Show.  

Doughmestichousewife - http://thedoughmestichousewife.blogspot.com/

Her blog has been around since 2012 and she has 285 followers as of right now.  I'm not sure what she meant by "trade secrets,"  because her recipes and instructions are on her blog. When you click on the "prices" tab, you get this...

prices.jpg

So, either she's upping her prices or never really sold them... or something in between.

Its a real rockin blog.  I wonder how they REALLY got hooked up with her because the only comments are from 2012

aboutme.jpg

She did a crappy job pimping "beljoy" because I didnt notice any of their product.  Anyway, its another "mission."

https://beljoy.myshopify.com/

beljoy.jpg

I have no problem providing employment to people that otherwise wouldnt have it, but hold off on the Jesus.  I'm pretty sure he'd love them even if they werent making clay beads to sell to white folk in Arkansas.

Eunamaes has a whopping 4594 likes on facebook and a whole 164 check ins.  They do NOT mention that they were on the show as far as I see and they dont seem to have some squicky agenda.  The site looks like a pretty normal store with a Christian owner.

https://www.facebook.com/eunamaes

http://www.shopeunamaes.com/

cookingstore.jpg

They may very well have chosen a bad show to be a part of, but they pretty much got cut out so not too much damage done.  It was clear she was wrapping something, so she definitely "gifted" a lil sumin sumin to be a part of the show.

I cant remember the name of the "contractor" that really built the tree fort to look him up, but he's been on the show before.  I also cant remember his association with the Duggars but I'm assuming TLC hired him to prevent any more on camera Duggar accidents.

I need to correct my prior statement about Eunamaes, it was definitely an intentional plant.  That is unfortunate, because some of their stuff is ADORABLE, but is clearly unwelcome in my home.  Check out her instagram

eunamaes.jpg

So Sierra seems to have pulled all this together, and there is definitely a connection between Holly and Eunamaes (which makes sense).  Interesting that they were also involved in last week's shit show?  I missed that... Were there plants in a background somewhere? Maybe at the coffee shop?

eunamaes2.png

10 hours ago, bella8050 said:

My favorite part of the episode: One of the older boys being shown walking on one of the loose "treehouse" poles a good 15 ft in the air and JD yelling for him not to do that, and in his TH says "we don't have insurance for stupidity".

I don't want to watch the whole episode but I want to see this clip :pb_lol:

I don't think JD is living on his own. I do think he has freedom to come and go without question. I can see him saying I have work and leaving whereas if it were a female Duggar they would have to give a time or go with a buddy. Besides the Duggar control, I don't see JD giving up his free meals , laundry and maid service. That property he owns is not next door and I don't see him driving 45 minutes for his sisters to make him lunch and dinner twice a day.

If JD does not want to court on TV, the best bet is for him to find a future wife that is a missionary with Jill or from an out of state family. I'm sure TLC would still film but much less. Also Jd has to see Jill and Jessa's paydays. Is it worth having 3-4 episodes filmed and some photos taken for magazines if you get 6 figures? It would be pretty hard to turn down and it is not like we haven't seen JD life for 12 years on TV.

As for baby showers I'm glad my neighborhood is switching to a new system. I would think it would be beneficial for the Duggar's circles to look into this. Basically you sign up for something to help with and bring a gift during that time. It can be helping get the nursery ready, bringing meals, or helping with something after the baby is born (like driving older siblings to sports for a week). That way you get some one on one time  with what hopefully is your friend and not a mass of people invited to a shower for more gifts.

The whole coed baby shower thing...it's probably that women only is what they normally do but they're trying to appear hip and modern by including men.

10 hours ago, Carol said:

After reading tonight's comments I really am beginning to wonder if the Duggars have been played.  I've read that some people think Jim Bob has something on TLC and that is why the show returned in a different format.  Is that possible?  I can't find another credible explanation because it seems like TLC put almost no effort into making this anything other than a deliberate disaster.  It's so awful I can't even find anything to snark on.  It doubles down on their boring, repetitive lives that that seem anything but spontaneous or natural.  It's exactly like a parody of how they are perceived by their critics. 

Maybe this was meant to be for their fans who are easily entertained.  I'm afraid you could show them 45 minutes of a still photo of the Duggers and they'd still tune in.   

It's incredible, isn't it? The fact that TLC had to be dragged kicking and screaming into canceling the show in the first place is what has always led me to believe that they new everything about the molestation, because Jim Bob told them from the beginning. And tptb know that if Jim Bob comes out with that bit of information, they'll bleed advertisers from every corner, not just for the Duggars' show. As for how bad the show is---even worse than before, which I didn't think would be possible? Either TLC has their D team working on the show and this is the best they could do. Or the family is insisting on creative control and because they're stupid this is the result. Or whoever is in charge really hates the family and they're getting all the digs in they can. Editors can be shady assholes when they want to be. :pb_lol: 

Random thoughts

Since Sierra and Joy are best friends, is it a best friends' thing that makes them stop the eyeliner halfesy on their bottom lid? It was driving me crazy.

I have been to both types of baby showers. Honestly, when you know the people at the shower, ackward moments are less likely to occur. This is why most people don't invite strangers to their parties/showers/weddings. Sierra doesn't bother me. She isn't great at what she does but she at least puts in effort. 

Why did they need to go to the thrift shop for stuff for the "tree house?" We know they have a warehouse full of junk. 

I don't for a minute believe that Jill was happiest to see Michelle of both her parents. She was head Daddy's girl and none of the kids, other than Josh, have ever seemed close to Michelle. 

This show is completely tone deaf as to what is interesting. A whole segment on lost glasses? I misplaced my dust buster a year ago. Should I wait for TLC to show up before I start looking for it? 

2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

The whole coed baby shower thing...it's probably that women only is what they normally do but they're trying to appear hip and modern by including men.

It's incredible, isn't it? The fact that TLC had to be dragged kicking and screaming into canceling the show in the first place is what has always led me to believe that they new everything about the molestation, because Jim Bob told them from the beginning. And tptb know that if Jim Bob comes out with that bit of information, they'll bleed advertisers from every corner, not just for the Duggars' show. As for how bad the show is---even worse than before, which I didn't think would be possible? Either TLC has their D team working on the show and this is the best they could do. Or the family is insisting on creative control and because they're stupid this is the result. Or whoever is in charge really hates the family and they're getting all the digs in they can. Editors can be shady assholes when they want to be. :pb_lol: 

I am in the camp of TLC has their D and E teams working on this slop.  I can see maybe Jessa wanting to talk more because she is the married one and requesting it per say.  But the constant courtship questions are getting old and ridiculous to even watch, much less for them it looks like. 

Sierra I think is the new Amy just over exaggerated 

Imagine how Amy feels

13 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Producer - If a guy was interested in joy what would you say?

Jed/Jer - He would have to be almost perfect. 

Joseph - There would be a lot of us checking him out

(didnt that say that about bin)

Jinger - There has been some interest, we're seeing where life leads

Joy is asked if she sees herself entering a courtship.  She blushes and doesnt answer.  Who knows if that was actually the question she was asked.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the show, but I am enjoying your recaps.

I really liked this conversation. Even though Joy isn't allowed to be closer with her brothers, I like that there is still a closeness that couldn't be stopped. I really think Joy's brothers will be more critical of her potential suitors and not let a Ben through, the way I have a feeling that JD has done for Jana. I guess we know where Jessa stood with her brothers.

RE- Coed Baby Shower. I truly think this is a new hyped up phenomenon (and maybe in my own unpopular opinion-another way to gift grab). My SIL is insisting on a coed shower (and we are FAR from fundie). My husband has been whining to me about it now for months. During our last conversation (a few weeks ago), she gleefully stated that there will be more then 175 people in attendance and she is renting out this huge room. Personally I don't get it. The way she discusses it, it sounds like a wedding reception. I just thank the Lord I'm not the one footing the bill for this thing.

Gone are the simple days where gals just get together and squee over little baby clothes and eat cake. Now everything is themed, catered, artfully decorated, and a small fortune.

I wonder if the pained looks the young adults get when asked about courtship spring from embarrassment/humiliation, because no one is interested in "becoming the next Duggar-borg."

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived