IGNORED

Counting On (everyone being civil in...) - part 2

HerNameIsBuffy

41 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

While I hope to breastfeed when I have children, I hate the fact those who choose formula for what ever reason get made to feel guilty. Of course formula feeding is not as dangerous as not having a proper Car seat. choosing formula doesn't make you a bad parent but not ensuring your childs car seat meets the correct regulations and is fitted properly does.

I'm the opposite. When I have children I'm not going to breastfeed, because of the medication I need to control my mental illness. I know well about the health benefits of breastfeeding and the fact you in some way have to be completely selfless as a parent by putting your child's needs first, but when it comes to my mental health it's me first. I figure a happy, healthy, sane mummy will be more beneficial than breastmilk.

Regarding seat restraints and car seats, no question there they are beyond important. I can't drive so it's a moot point if I have kids. However, I do remember driving down from the North East of England to Dover on the way to a holiday in France in 1991 in my mother's car. There were no seat belts in the back as the requirement for back seat seatbelts only came into law in 1987 and that was only in new cars, which my mums wasn't the law for older cars was pretty much a meh and a shrug! I was 6 years old and it was a lot of fun, me and my 3 year old sister decided to sit on the floor and try to sleep underneath the front seats. If we had a crash I dread to think, but it's still a happy memory for me!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

So who will actually be watching tonight? I will be DVRing it. I hate to 'support' them by watching but I have a good reason to DVR it. But it's embarrassing and I will be judged so I won't say...haha.

That's OK.  We here at the forum fully support a woman's right to choose and control her own viewing habits.

My mom told me that my brother's car seat was some kind that hooked over the seat or something. Wasn't secured at all. Terrifying. And I remember my parents letting me take my seat belt off on road trip. They'd make me wait until we got onto the interstate. Because apparently traveling at 70mph was safer than in town?! Scary to think about now.

I formula fed my son from the very beginning. As far as we know he has no allergies (maybe seasonal like my husband and myself.) He is 2.5 years old and has only been sick once...just a cold. He did have reflux as a baby which may or may not have been from the formula (we ended up having to give him a 'special' more expensive kind.) He does have some developmental delays that I'm sure a certain type of person would blame on the formula. But I don't believe it to be the cause in the slightest. If I were to have a 2nd child, I would 100% use formula again.

In the real world, I was never judged by anyone for using formula. None of my friends or family made any rude comments about it. It just wasn't an issue at all. It seems like the jerks are usually just faceless internet people.

7 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

So who will actually be watching tonight? I will be DVRing it. I hate to 'support' them by watching but I have a good reason to DVR it. But it's embarrassing and I will be judged so I won't say...haha.

I can't watch it because it's not on in the UK and I can't seem to find out if it will ever be shown here. I will have to rely on the snark of you guys until I can find it online!

13 minutes ago, Bushes of Love said:

I'm the opposite. When I have children I'm not going to breastfeed, because of the medication I need to control my mental illness. I know well about the health benefits of breastfeeding and the fact you in some way have to be completely selfless as a parent by putting your child's needs first, but when it comes to my mental health it's me first. I figure a happy, healthy, sane mummy will be more beneficial than breastmilk.

Good for you! I think this is so wise! 

I just realized my cable company has moved TLC into the premium channels (WTF?!? is wrong with this picture??), which I don't subscribe to. I was wondering why I hadn't seen any contrived bride dress drama or disturbing shows about people getting gastic surgery :D

Strangely, I haven't missed the wonderful aray of TLC programming, but now that the Duggar sh*t show is back, I am somewhat torn between being peeved that I can't snark watch and relieved that I'm not going to be in danger of alcohol poisoning... Oh well, not paying an extra $10 a month for that pleasure.

And in a futile attempt to aid against this thread derailing into a fracktacular breastfeeding vs. formula mommy forum - peanut butter rocks... I am allergic to tree nuts, however, so almond butter is the devil's food ;):devilish:

are we onto car seats - how about anything not to do wtih kiddo's :D

ok car seats - apparently we drove to Banff in the 70's and I was in the backseat of a mercedes convertible with no car seat or seat belt

and again I am ok - apart from the fact I can't do multiplication tables without using my fingers

There is currently a banner ad for Counting On showing up for me at the top of the page. Oh boy! We just cancelled DirecTV a few days ago in favor of a Roku so now I don't have to worrying about resisting the temptation to watch.

I can BEAT you about being EXCITED - I AM DOING my bosses taxes and all I can think about is Ben's monotone voice and Jessa' not supporting Spud's head

how many hours till TEQUILA time five :D

Car seats and seatbelts were pretty optional when I was growing up - almost nobody secured the car seats into the cars, they were just kind of free floating in the backseats. Kids pretty much had the run of the backseats and floorboards, and I remember crawling between front and backseat over the bench seat when the car was in motion. Also was very jealous of kids with station wagons as they had all the additional play space... Kids whose parents had pick up trucks often got to ride in the back (totally unsecured) and nothing was thought of it. My grandpa was very safety conscious and wouldn't let me ride in the back of his truck with his dogs, and five year old me felt quite bitter about it..

I also remember my mother and her friends believing that the lap belts in back seats were more harmful than not wearing a seat belt at all. They always told us that they would cut us in half, and we'd be better off taking our chances with the windscreen. It was rather terrifying when we had to ride with a parent who was all "buckle up back there, dears". Sigh... The 79s and 80s were so bizarre.

6 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

Car seats and seatbelts were pretty optional when I was growing up - almost nobody secured the car seats into the cars, they were just kind of free floating in the backseats. Kids pretty much had the run of the backseats and floorboards, and I remember crawling between front and backseat over the bench seat when the car was in motion. Also was very jealous of kids with station wagons as they had all the additional play space... Kids whose parents had pick up trucks often got to ride in the back (totally unsecured) and nothing was thought of it. My grandpa was very safety conscious and wouldn't let me ride in the back of his truck with his dogs, and five year old me felt quite bitter about it..

I also remember my mother and her friends believing that the lap belts in back seats were more harmful than not wearing a seat belt at all. They always told us that they would cut us in half, and we'd be better off taking our chances with the windscreen. It was rather terrifying when we had to ride with a parent who was all "buckle up back there, dears". Sigh... The 79s and 80s were so bizarre.

My husband was actually in an accident and we were told that had he been wearing his seatbelt he would have died on the scene. Lucky that day that he didn't put it on.

However as a rule, we wear our seatbelts. No kiddos but our dogs also ride in car seats.

Reminder: FJ does not permit linking to illegal software or entertainment. That includes Counting On. Hate watch if you wish, or just read Buzzard's recap, but please don't link or discuss locations for illegal copies of same. 

Thanks. :)

Did anyone see the most recent clip from the show? It's a few minutes of Jill and Derick. It shows Izzy crawling around and 'cruising' while holding onto chairs. Typical 'blah blah blah' it's not safe here stuff.

The producers definitely read gossip sites or maybe even this site. They are clearly trying to show "see, look...Izzy isn't blanket trained. We let him crawl all over."  Hopefully that is actually true and not just for show.

9 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

My husband was actually in an accident and we were told that had he been wearing his seatbelt he would have died on the scene. Lucky that day that he didn't put it on.

However as a rule, we wear our seatbelts. No kiddos but our dogs also ride in car seats.

I grew up in the 60's, seat belts were optional unless you were in a car with my parents.  My dad saw several vehicles flip during the war, and refused to even start the car unless he heard all three of the seat belts in the back click.  It was sort of my mom's job to check.  By the time I got my own car and could drive without a seat belt, the government decided to pass the seat belt law.  I think I have only been without a seat belt a couple of times during college. (stupid kid stuff).  I don't have kids, but if I drive my niece and nephews, they are buckled and strapped in, I made my sister show me how all that kid stuff worked before I agreed to take her kiddo's anywhere.  My fur babies ride in carriers that I strap to the seat...

In my vehicle, everyone wears a seatbelt. Regardless of what you do in your own car, if I'm driving I am not going to take responsibility for someone not wearing theirs. This is absolutely not negotiable for me. If someone wants a ride from me, they're going to have to buckle in.

Here in Thailand, seatbelts in the front are the law.  Many vehicles (including mine) do not even have seatbelts in the back. And children are not only rarely strapped in, but ride on motorbikes from birth - and drive them from the age of about 12 - younger in the more rural areas. ( I had an 8 year old arrive to collect her sister who was working for me...)

A friend lost his daughter when she was going back to the village to visit with her mother's family. In his absence, she was not in a child seat. No one else in the car was seriously injured, but she was less than a year old, and thrown forward. Child road casualties are very high here.

I wish Thailand would pass seatbelt and child seat laws.  And get kids off motorbikes.I don't give a fuck about formula.

As far as CA being "dangerous"......fine for Jill and Derrick....but Izzy doesn't have a say in this if it is indeed so dangerous. They don't HAVE to be there to be putting their child in this danger.

And, really, I mean, how are Jill and Derrick going to feel if someone shows Izzy how to say the rosary, I mean, that is REALLY dangerous. Totally. 

I'll actually be watching the episode tonight (and probably the re-runs, too).

Don't know if I can promise any worthy recaps.  Hopefully Buzzard will come through!

See you all later ...

I really dislike the "we never had seat belts, were free in the car, and we're fine" argument. I was born in 87- and my parents had me out of carseats once i was past the infant stage (and those seats probably weren't great.  I remember being in a low speed accident when i was 3 or 4.  no belt on.  I rolled off the seat and my shoe came off. Yes, I was fine, but if the car that hit us was doing more than 5 mph, or my dad wasn't stopped at a light, i probably would've been killed.  Many many children died in car accidents. Many. Speed limits are higher, and there are more cars on the road now. Also, children spend way more hours in cars now then ever before, statistically.  Almost no children walk or bike to school, and are shuttled everywhere in cars.

When i worked in pre school a few years ago we had a little boy. He was 3. He had a horrible limp, was covered in scars, and severe impulse issues, and all kinds of delays.  Turned out he went through the windshield at 9 months old, and spent 9 months in a coma.  His seat wasn't installed properly, and it sounded like he was forward facing.  He was lucky to be alive, but he will never be the same.

A lot of parents use the "we never had carseats and we're fine argument"- i think mostly they don't like the change, are ill informed about modern car seats, and find them expensive and inconvenient.  Too many children needlessly suffer or die because of that thinking.

16 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I really dislike the "we never had seat belts, were free in the car, and we're fine" argument. I was born in 87- and my parents had me out of carseats once i was past the infant stage (and those seats probably weren't great.  I remember being in a low speed accident when i was 3 or 4.  no belt on.  I rolled off the seat and my shoe came off. Yes, I was fine, but if the car that hit us was doing more than 5 mph, or my dad wasn't stopped at a light, i probably would've been killed.  Many many children died in car accidents. Many. Speed limits are higher, and there are more cars on the road now. Also, children spend way more hours in cars now then ever before, statistically.  Almost no children walk or bike to school, and are shuttled everywhere in cars.

When i worked in pre school a few years ago we had a little boy. He was 3. He had a horrible limp, was covered in scars, and severe impulse issues, and all kinds of delays.  Turned out he went through the windshield at 9 months old, and spent 9 months in a coma.  His seat wasn't installed properly, and it sounded like he was forward facing.  He was lucky to be alive, but he will never be the same.

A lot of parents use the "we never had carseats and we're fine argument"- i think mostly they don't like the change, are ill informed about modern car seats, and find them expensive and inconvenient.  Too many children needlessly suffer or die because of that thinking.

Yes! Also, the kids who didn't have car seats back then and "aren't fine" generally aren't here to tell us about it.

I like to call these kinds of things stuff that "is okay until it's not." As in, you can drive around every day without your child in a car seat and they're going to be okay but the one day that you get into an accident, it's not. If you never get into an accident, then people draw the conclusion that there's no need for car seats because they never had the experience where the "it's not" comes into play.

Sometimes living in the UK sucks. I really want to watch this shit show and snark along with you, but in stead due to time differences I'm now off to bed and wont be online until tomorrow afternoon. Enjoy the snarking and drinking games! I'll catch up with all this tomorrow.

Daughter was born in 1978. The nurse told me I should hold her on the way home!!! We drove into the parking lot and got her in the car seat. In1982 when son was born, they wouldn't let us leave without a car seat. They weren't as safe as they are now, and the rules about forward or rear facing were different. We did our best with the knowledge we had then.

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Daughter was born in 1978. The nurse told me I should hold her on the way home!!! We drove into the parking lot and got her in the car seat. In1982 when son was born, they wouldn't let us leave without a car seat. They weren't as safe as they are now, and the rules about forward or rear facing were different. We did our best with the knowledge we had then.

I'm sure many children were brought home the way your daughter was. Myself included. 

Archived