IGNORED

Counting On (everyone being civil in...) - part 2

HerNameIsBuffy

We got a refurbished mattress and box spring for our spare bedroom. They're stripped down to frame and springs, sterilized, and all new materials. It's very comfortable.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a reuse centre in Whistler that my parents go to all the time.  In their previous house they got a rock  fireplace stand that made the fireplace more attractive.  They also got a murphy bed frame.  

Last spring I gave 40 of my husband's dress shirts to the Goodwill. He has at least three times that many more. I cannot keep up with him and his clothing. He's recently lost weight.. gone from a 38 waist (which was always too big) to a 34, but doesn't want me to get rid of his 38 waist pants. He wants to try them all on. I have to hide things that I donate, if I can't get them out of the house before he sees them. Or I have to have the donation truck come when he's at work. The kids are sworn to secrecy on what goes out of this house.  

Now, I'll admit that I have also contributed to the clutter and over-stuff-ed-ness of my home, but I am trying to reverse that, even as I help my sister clean out our parents' house... I do not want my kids to have to go through what I'm going through with that! Mr. Four still has broken, taped up tools that were his father's.... that do not work!

13 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Last spring I gave 40 of my husband's dress shirts to the Goodwill. He has at least three times that many more. I cannot keep up with him and his clothing. He's recently lost weight.. gone from a 38 waist (which was always too big) to a 34, but doesn't want me to get rid of his 38 waist pants. He wants to try them all on. I have to hide things that I donate, if I can't get them out of the house before he sees them. Or I have to have the donation truck come when he's at work. The kids are sworn to secrecy on what goes out of this house.  

Now, I'll admit that I have also contributed to the clutter and over-stuff-ed-ness of my home, but I am trying to reverse that, even as I help my sister clean out our parents' house... I do not want my kids to have to go through what I'm going through with that! Mr. Four still has broken, taped up tools that were his father's.... that do not work!

Cleaning out my mother's house was the worst. It took me forever, and I brought too much stuff home with me. Still working through it all, so you have my sympathies!

@Four is Enough I hear you. We need to do a lot of cleaning out too. I did just clean out my yarn closet, but I need to do a lot more, so that my kids don't have to. Things that are sentimental to me, mean nothing to them.

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

@Four is Enough I hear you. We need to do a lot of cleaning out too. I did just clean out my yarn closet, but I need to do a lot more, so that my kids don't have to. Things that are sentimental to me, mean nothing to them.

I love sentimental things. My mom is not a traditionalist - she likes to get rid of things. 

She threw away my xmas decorations from when I was a kid recently when they moved 

I am the traditionalist.  But I also like my apartment streamlined so it works :D

2 minutes ago, nst said:

I love sentimental things. My mom is not a traditionalist - she likes to get rid of things. 

She threw away my xmas decorations from when I was a kid recently when they moved 

I am the traditionalist.  But I also like my apartment streamlined so it works :D

My kids love their own homes streamlined, so they kept the sentimental stuff at my house, and my mom's. They seem less sentimental now when it comes down to keeping it themselves. 

1 minute ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

My kids love their own homes streamlined, so they kept the sentimental stuff at my house, and my mom's. They seem less sentimental now when it comes down to keeping it themselves. 

why do you think I keep my prom dress at my mom's ?

but she recently made me take my fisher price stuff and I put in my locker downstairs :D 

I am seriously thinking of selling them - they were second hand when she bought them 40+

A tip on a way to get rid of your clothes without guilt......

Turn all the hangers in your closet backwards. Each time you wear and launder a piece of clothing, rehang it the normal way. In 3-6 months go in and grab all the clothes on the backward facing hangers. You haven't worn it in 3-6 months, time to get rid of it.

I did that at the beginning of this year.  I'm extending to a year but same principle.  

I'm about to go into my closet and take things out that I haven't worn. Pretty soon, there won't be anything in there!! I'll admit to having a couple of items from the 80s that I kept because they were too danged expensive to give away, but they're also too danged ugly to wear!! I AM keeping my wedding suit, shoes, and purse. They don't take up too much room, but I doubt I'll ever fit into them again. (well, maybe the purse...)

Since retiring, I cleaned out my closet and got rid of all the scrubs, dress clothes etc. All I have left are play clothes: shirts, shorts, a couple pairs of jeans and what I call my "funeral clothes". One black pair of pants, one black skirt, a few dress shirts and a couple of summery, easy breezy dresses. I refuse to keep my "fat clothes" as I see it as a self fulfilling prophecy. If I keep them, I will eventually fit in them. So my incentive is to not gain weight since I would have nothing to wear and I hate (with a red hot passion) clothes shopping.

3 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Turn all the hangers in your closet backwards. Each time you wear and launder a piece of clothing, rehang it the normal way. In 3-6 months go in and grab all the clothes on the backward facing hangers. You haven't worn it in 3-6 months, time to get rid of it.

That wouldn't work where I live since we can go 6+ months without wearing warm weather clothes...haha!

On 31 March 2016 at 8:32 PM, OrchidBlossom said:

I think the best argument against courtship for the howlers will be watching it fail for all the older ones. If that doesn't convince em, nothing will. 

I agree. And looking at the 3 married couples so far, none of them are a match made in heaven:

1. Josh and Anna - I don't think I need to explain that this is clearly a failed marriage, being held together by Anna's guilt and need to stand by Josh and honour her marriage vows

2. Jill and Derrick: it's clear that the honeymoon is over for these 2 and they seem to lack direction as yo where they want their lives to go

3. Jessa and Ben: Ben seems increasingly fed up with Jessa 

so so worrying signs for all 3 couples, which could have been avoided if they had been allowed to really get to know each other prior to marriage in an open and honest manner

Argh, is anyone else annoyed by Ben and his basebal cap. 

5 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I've done this, but over the course of a year, just to make double sure I'm not throwing out something I'm going to regret in like 2 months' time.

5 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

this also works with any kind of housewares--pack up some boxes of stuff you don't use much, tape the boxes shut and write the date on them.  stash them away for a year.  any box you don't open is to be tossed, donated, or otherwise removed from your home *unopened.* 

23 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Derick and Ben are probably also seething with anger that Josh molested their wives and are expected to forgive, forget and let Josh be part of their lives.

OK, like, are they angry?  Or not?  I never heard anything nor saw anything in their demeanor that made me think they were mad.  Maybe they hid it well.  But we heard from Ben's dad on how bad Josh was for straying, but nothing about, how horrible you violated my daughter in law.  Or Ben spouting over it either. Those two never seemed afraid of speaking up. Maybe I missed some stuff. But a normal guy would have left Josh with a broken jaw after that.

17 hours ago, anotherone said:

OK, like, are they angry?  Or not?  I never heard anything nor saw anything in their demeanor that made me think they were mad.  Maybe they hid it well.  But we heard from Ben's dad on how bad Josh was for straying, but nothing about, how horrible you violated my daughter in law.  Or Ben spouting over it either. Those two never seemed afraid of speaking up. Maybe I missed some stuff. But a normal guy would have left Josh with a broken jaw after that.

I am going to assume until proven otherwise that Derick and Ben have drunk of the "Jesus forgave him so we have to as well" kool-aid when it comes to Josh. Although I thought there was some tense side-eyeing at Josh in that last 19KAC episode, we don't know if that was because of the molestation itself or because the molestation was being dragged back up and threatening the family or just because everyone hates when Josh breaks out his smuggy Smuggar attitude. Their attitude and stuff since then doesn't really indicate that they are angry, we are just assuming they are reacting as we would expect a person to react to that kind of thing, but that's a tall assumption for a cult like this.

One thing the aftermath of the dual scandals has left me thinking...perhaps the older girls were always annoyed by Josh's smugness and general ickiness.  Even if they had "forgiven" the molestations, it would not surprise me if they just generally found him obnoxious and didn't like being around him.  However...I believe that the older girls are very sincere in their love for Anna, and the M kids, especially as they have discussed it since the scandals.  Yes, their talk of her strength during "everything she's walked through" is nauseating, and it breaks my heart that any of these young women feel they have ANY obligation to stick around after a partner does what Smuggar did.  But it would not surprise me that the older girls have come to love Anna more and more over the years, and that one of the reasons they continued to interact with Smuggar so much was because they really do view Anna like a sister.  Perhaps in addition to the JB brainwashing about forgiving their brother, and the Jesus brainwashing, the oldest girls tolerated Josh simply because they love Anna and the M kids.

I personally think they only tolerate Anna and the M kids 

Jessa acts totally different with Iddy than she does with the M kids

as for Derick and Ben I think they have towed the party line re Josh 

So excited to see the next episode of Counting On that I forgot to even tune in to the show.  What did I miss?  I go to YouTube and see a clip of Jessa complaining about "how stressful it is having bangs." 

This turd won't float! 

23 hours ago, anotherone said:

Maybe I missed some stuff. But a normal guy would have left Josh with a broken jaw after that.

I'm pretty sure if Bin wasn't Bin, Josh would most certainly have a broken jaw...

On 4/6/2016 at 11:49 AM, nst said:

why do you think I keep my prom dress at my mom's ?

but she recently made me take my fisher price stuff and I put in my locker downstairs :D 

I am seriously thinking of selling them - they were second hand when she bought them 40+

My mom got mad one day when I cleaned out my closet and mentioned my bridesmaid's dress from my sister's wedding (now way too big and a color that doesn't flatter me) was going byebye and she insisted on saving it.  She got mad at me for entertaining the idea of holding onto a dress that doesn't flatter me because it was my 1 and only time as a MOH.  

She's a hoarder of antique knick-knacks.  However, antique is a fluid term.  Something fresh off the rack from the dollar store could be antique if someone sold it to her in the right way.  I have repeatedly told her that I'm not (or my sister) interested in them and when she goes the Goodwill gets them without blinking an eye.

Archived