IGNORED

Counting On (everyone being civil in...) - part 2

HerNameIsBuffy

Just now, 2manyKidzzz said:

I'm totally on board with the ISIS thing. I think that's how it happens. Liquid autism is great. You are a smart, sarcastic snarker. HO HO

Haha, I try. I also hate when people use autism as a boogeyman and scare word, or imply that autistic children are broken, undesirable, the result of bad parenting (well, bad parenting won't HELP, but it doesn't CAUSE it unless you're talking about really, really shitty, like, call CPS right fucking now parenting), or can/need to be "cured" through dubious lifestyle or dietary changes.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I also hate when people use autism as a boogeyman and scare word, or imply that autistic children are broken, undesirable, the result of bad parenting 

Not autism but a similar rant:  a deaf friend of mine was in a car accident this morning.  One of the ladies she works with sided up to me and said, "Did she tell you she was in a wreck this morning?  She doesn't need to be driving.  I don't see how she got a license."

"Why?" I asked, knowing what her answer would be.

"Because she can't hear horns or sirens."

"Deaf people get driver's licenses all the time.  They aren't prevented from driving."

**crickets**

I should have said, "What's the difference between her and the driver who turns her music up so loud that everyone at the traffic light can hear it, too?"

So last night @OperaRocks said that feeding a baby formula was as dangerous as an incorrectly installed carseat. I slept on that comment all night. If he/she is reading, I would like to know how the following scenarios even slightly compare.

BTW, I have two boys whom I formula fed (for reasons that are no one's business but my own). They are currently healthy, happy grown-ass men.

What of male gay couples who adopt an infant? If it is dangerous to formula feed, how are they to feed their child? A wet nurse?

What of couples who cannot conceive and adopt a infant? How are they to feed their infant?

What of a couple that uses a surrogate? How are they to feed their infant?

Now to carseats:

If above mentioned gay couple just lays their infant on the backseat and a crash happens and the baby is ejected through a window onto the highway, how does that compare to formula feeding?

What if the infant is in an incorrectly installed carseat and becomes a projectile through the front window?

Apparently I have seen too many healthy happy babies that were formula fed and too many critically injured/dead infants who were not in carseats or in an incorrectly installed carseat, to recognize the difference.

Someone, anyone, explain this to me. I am not getting the comparison.

10 hours ago, season of life said:

I just saw the stupid video. Watching his body language, I felt like he wanted to set himself apart from the others and shout something at the camera. He looks so hyped up for a video message, lol.

Oh, and Ben said, "Run with endurance the race that is set before you looking to Christ." Someone with good hearing commented this on the official Facebook page for the Duggars, so that's how I know.

LOL - thank you season of life for providing me with the correct translation of what Ben said.  Perhaps someone ought to create an app that translates Ben Seewald-speak into English. 

2 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

:pb_lol:

There's apparently an FJer who doesn't like for me to mention breasts or breastfeeding and down votes me for it.  So darn cute.

• loved breastfeeding--thankful I could
  • love my breasts
  • did formula and breast with my first
  • got a staph infection from breast feeding my second.  Took the antibiotics, formula fed while on antibiotics, returned to breastfeeding afterward.
  • breast, BREAST, B.R.E.A.S.T, BREAST, B to the R to the E to the A to the S to the T., est-bray

B to the R to the E to the A to the S to the T!!!  LOL, love it

Breastfed (with damn painful latch on every single time) for the first 2 months of my son's life, then I had to return to work, so I did a combo breast and bottle feeding, then weaned completely to bottle before he was 5 months old.  Son was an average baby, had the average amount of ear infections, has no allergies, but he is near-sighted.  I don't think there is any connection to being formula-fed ;)  I and my 7 siblings were all bottle babies and that was back in the 50's and 60's - who knows what was in the formula back then?  Still, we all were healthy with only various pollen allergies.  And we all bonded very deeply with our mother.

Are we really doing the formula feeding shame thing in this thread?  Really?  I have lost friendships over sanctimonious La Leche League / anti c-section ridiculousness, and it really angers me when women judge other women for exercising options that make their own lives more live-able.  Eff that noise.  Go eat your placenta and leave others to their own decisions.  /rant over.

My boys are grown. I learned quickly and instinctively never to mention how the infant is being fed, and also, why people only have one child. Tears, sadness, secondary infertility.....

Least said, soonest mended. 

22 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

If Central America is as dangerous as the Duggar's say, then why would Jessa dare travel there with or without Spud? Why risk something happening to your infant or risk leaving the infant motherless? 

Where is the line? Should all mothers just locked at home in the suburbs with their baby for "safety?" People have traveled with babies for as long as there have been babies. 

22 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Still, we all were healthy with only various pollen allergies.  And we all bonded very deeply with our mother.

I was breastfed until I was 3. Can't stand my mom for more than a few hours at a time. Never had any sort of meaningful conversation. She asks me about my life, I tell her the surface stuff. If I bring up feelings she gets upset and shuts down. PRETTY SURE its because I was breastfed too long, right? Or maybe infant nutrition has nothing to do with bonding?

11 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

My boys are grown. I learned quickly and instinctively never to mention how the infant is being fed, and also, why people only have one child. Tears, sadness, secondary infertility.....

Least said, soonest mended. 

I am an only - never bothered me -

:D

Watch or swatch

swatch

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Where is the line? Should all mothers just locked at home in the suburbs with their baby for "safety?" People have traveled with babies for as long as there have been babies. 

I was breastfed until I was 3. Can't stand my mom for more than a few hours at a time. Never had any sort of meaningful conversation. She asks me about my life, I tell her the surface stuff. If I bring up feelings she gets upset and shuts down. PRETTY SURE its because I was breastfed too long, right? Or maybe infant nutrition has nothing to do with bonding?

I'm talking specifically to this region, ya know that one the Duggar's keep talking about as being dangerous? They are so worried about Jill and Derrick for being in this dangerous area yet Jessa has no qualms with traveling there while she has a 4 month old....never said she couldn't travel with her baby or that mother's should just shut themselves up in their houses.

28 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

So last night @OperaRocks said that feeding a baby formula was as dangerous as an incorrectly installed carseat. I slept on that comment all night. If he/she is reading, I would like to know how the following scenarios even slightly compare.

BTW, I have two boys whom I formula fed (for reasons that are no one's business but my own). They are currently healthy, happy grown-ass men.

What of male gay couples who adopt an infant? If it is dangerous to formula feed, how are they to feed their child? A wet nurse?

What of couples who cannot conceive and adopt a infant? How are they to feed their infant?

What of a couple that uses a surrogate? How are they to feed their infant?

Now to carseats:

If above mentioned gay couple just lays their infant on the backseat and a crash happens and the baby is ejected through a window onto the highway, how does that compare to formula feeding?

What if the infant is in an incorrectly installed carseat and becomes a projectile through the front window?

Apparently I have seen too many healthy happy babies that were formula fed and too many critically injured/dead infants who were not in carseats or in an incorrectly installed carseat, to recognize the difference.

Someone, anyone, explain this to me. I am not getting the comparison.

I was formula fed - and I seem fine - apart from the eye twitching and irritation over the duggars especially ben of late is seems

HE IS A DUGGAR :)

19 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Are we really doing the formula feeding shame thing in this thread?  Really?  I have lost friendships over sanctimonious La Leche League / anti c-section ridiculousness, and it really angers me when women judge other women for exercising options that make their own lives more live-able.  Eff that noise.  Go eat your placenta and leave others to their own decisions.  /rant over.

It's another form of fundamentalism, and most of us here don't care for fundamentalism.

I have autism. I also became a tenure-track university professor at 27. My cousin has autism. She is a great mom and has three wonderful children who happen to NOT have autism. Both of us were breastfed. I guess we would have gotten the *other* kind of autism, the kind that makes your life not worth living and your mind a shriveled vegetable, if we'd had formula? 

Screw the fucking obsessive formula-shaming bullshit and the hysteria over "this causes disabilities!!!!!1!" crap.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I really, really hate dogma. Especially dogma that relies on sexism and ableism to keep its motor running. Now that I'm trying to get pregnant and paying attention to online mommy stuff, I realize how upsetting it all can be. 

17 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think that's kind of the point, though. The Duggars have talked repeatedly about how "dangerous" this Central America trip is, but seem to have no qualms about another couple with a baby vacationing there. They're contradicting themselves.

I don't think the issue is that Jessa shouldn't go, I think the issue is that the Duggars need to stop exaggerating the situation to try to make this missionary adventure seem more exotic. Yes, there is an element of risk, but given their lifestyle choices, treating it as extreme danger is excessive.

I'm sure the Seewalds will be fine. I'm sure the Dillards will be fine too.

53 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

One word:  Sacajawea.

Ok one more word:  Badass.

breastfed #1 until i got pregnant with #2, so only about 6 months. almost died after birthing #2, was on some heavy duty drugs for 6 weeks, so formula fed that one. breastfed #3 for over a year, turns out he was my most sickly with severe asthma and multiple allergies. granddaughter #2 lost so much weight during her first month her mama had to switch to formula. each of my children and grands were different, that's just how it goes. every mother, baby, family is unique and so is their feeding of their children. as to carseats...when you have a relative who killed their baby because it wasn't in a carseat and they had an accident...then you are damn careful with your own grand/children. its a tragedy waiting to happen to these fools. i see people every day at my grand's school just casually putting their kinderkids into the backseat. the law here is 8 and 80...who knows when mine will get there, though, she is a tiny lil thing...but how can anyone be so cavalier about their own child? i just can't imagine it. 

While I hope to breastfeed when I have children, I hate the fact those who choose formula for what ever reason get made to feel guilty. Of course formula feeding is not as dangerous as not having a proper Car seat. choosing formula doesn't make you a bad parent but not ensuring your childs car seat meets the correct regulations and is fitted properly does.

4 hours ago, twinmama said:

best.jpg

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Gimme a Free RV said:

I was just with my moms group as we met with the toddlers at McDonalds playland.  A few went proudly on about how they exclusively breastfed till almost two years.  I'm thinking, you're saying this as you're feeding your 3 yr old processed chicken nuggets, sugar loaded chocolate milk, and fried French fries....   But I thought it wise to keep my mouth shut.

So, TLC has been reading the blogs and the responses to JB and DQ's lack of appropriate response to the molestations and in their infinite money grubbing wisdom deemed that the solution was to make the show about he next generation.  You're not fooling us TLC--the reach of JB is far greater than you're letting on.  He might not be in front of the camera, but his influence is still very obvious from behind the scenes (e.g. JD "the devil tried...").

Then TLC's continued money grubbing wisdom dictated that they would name the show "moving on".  Apparently, to remind all of us who think that molestation is a BIG DEAL, that the Duggars have moved on...they've forgiven...no problems..lets go back to taping.  So, apparently, we all need to be as generous as the Duggars and move on too.

Not happening TLC.  One look at Joy's face and I'm not buying anything that you're selling.

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

Thankfully, I think it's only 2 people in this thread who are attempting to shame. Otherwise, it seems like the rest of us are all on the same page which is kind of nice.

Formula feed autistic person here. Sorry to crush all your formula is good dreams. I'm kidding!!!! ;-)  

Looking forward to reading about the show tonight/tomorrow. I would watch it if I could. I saw the promos on the TLC YouTube channel. Seriously, I almost spit out my drink at "you're crowning, Jessa". I normally love TMI talk, but that is just too much.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I think that's kind of the point, though. The Duggars have talked repeatedly about how "dangerous" this Central America trip is, but seem to have no qualms about another couple with a baby vacationing there. They're contradicting themselves.

I don't think the issue is that Jessa shouldn't go, I think the issue is that the Duggars need to stop exaggerating the situation to try to make this missionary adventure seem more exotic. Yes, there is an element of risk, but given their lifestyle choices, treating it as extreme danger is excessive.

I'm sure the Seewalds will be fine. I'm sure the Dillards will be fine too.

:clap:

FWIW:  My father didn't breastfeed me.  To this day, we have a hard time getting along.

Peanut butter!

Sorry, I just thought I'd throw in something else to derail this thread.

Meanwhile, the Duggars are making big bucks selling their own F*cked up brand of crazy....so, let's snark about that thing that we can all agree on!

So who will actually be watching tonight? I will be DVRing it. I hate to 'support' them by watching but I have a good reason to DVR it. But it's embarrassing and I will be judged so I won't say...haha.

1 minute ago, ClaraOswin said:

So who will actually be watching tonight? I will be DVRing it. I hate to 'support' them by watching but I have a good reason to DVR it. But it's embarrassing and I will be judged so I won't say...haha.

I'm gonna be actually watching when it airs because I have no DVR.

Archived