IGNORED

Counting On (everyone being civil in...) - part 2

HerNameIsBuffy

I thought Michelle stopped breastfeeding at six months so she could get pregnant again. 

I see Jill and Jessa doing what they know from "mom" and taking a lot of shortcuts and a whatever attitude toward parenting. 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Maggie Mae said:

I thought Michelle stopped breastfeeding at six months so she could get pregnant again. 

I see Jill and Jessa doing what they know from "mom" and taking a lot of shortcuts and a whatever attitude toward parenting. 

I'm guessing that's the real reason she quit. She claims that "unlike most women, i can get pregnant while breastfeeding".  actually, most can, especially after 6 months.  Not all, but many. which is why your ob/mw starts discussing bc with you before you even deliver.  I think she claims baby just didn't want the breast anymore, but i'm guessing she heavily encouraged that, and pushed solids/bottles early, to make her cycle come back faster. fertility/breastfeeding/pregnancy is complicated, and it can be hard for a woman to know exactly what's going on with her system.  

Yup, we had two sets of carseats replaced by the insurance company.  One was a car vs deer.  No kids in the seats.  All three were replaced.  The second was a rear ending at slow speeds, two seats occupied, and all three were replaced.  The insurance company was a bit suprised at the cost of the seats and we had to send in three forms of proof that we actually had them for a total of $1800 to replace each time.

Michelle said she passed the babies off at 6 months when she stopped breast feeding. Whether her milk changed, or she wanted to get pregnant again, we may never know.

I just checked out the pictures on pickles and hairspray. A woman commented, "God bless you Jessa. We need more people like you who are willing to help those in need". Someone responded, " Jessa isn't doing anything to help anyone. She's on vacation. The woman who saw her in customs is providing medical care to those in need". 

And her response was, "She deserves a vacation they are always doing mission work. Good for her hope she had fun"

Seriously?! Do people actually believe that? :tw_astonished:

12 minutes ago, BenjerminSeaOtter said:

I just checked out the pictures on pickles and hairspray. A woman commented, "God bless you Jessa. We need more people like you who are willing to help those in need". Someone responded, " Jessa isn't doing anything to help anyone. She's on vacation. The woman who saw her in customs is providing medical care to those in need". 

And her response was, "She deserves a vacation they are always doing mission work. Good for her hope she had fun"

The leghumping is strong with some.

3 hours ago, BenjerminSeaOtter said:

The Facebook comments can be just astounding!! Usually following that exact formula - someone saying how wonderful they are, then bending over backwards making excuses for them if it turns out they actually aren't being all that wonderful. Then for bonus points, adding a whiny remark about how no one should ever be allowed to say anything bad about the Duggars because they're just such good Christians, and besides, it isn't nice. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

What I don't understand are the people who can't grasp that the Duggars (or other celebs) aren't going to see your comment on Facebook. Especially if it's not even on the official brand page. Pickles is not a Duggar. Come on!

3 hours ago, BenjerminSeaOtter said:

That's... so untrue I almost wonder if it was sarcasm.

It would be one thing if the person had just said, "She deserves a vacation. Good for her and I hope she has fun." Not really anything to argue with there. Anyone can use a vacation, and she does have a small child who is doubtless keeping her busier than she's used to. 

The statement that they're always doing mission work baffles me because I don't think even they would exaggerate enough to claim that.

I don't see why the poster felt that adding some objectively false information would make their claim more credible.

6 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

A little bit closer to the top. But it looks like, from this angle, he is over the top. Their whole head needs to be inside the seat, to support the head and neck in a collision. My daughter outgrew her britax because her head was so big that despite not outgrowing the height limit (ff) or the weight, her head was within an inch of the shell top.  My kid always just got a blanket or extra jacket thrown over hte seat, even in really cold weather.  We rarely ever took the bucket seat out anyway, she hated being in it while awake.  

Pretty sure rv's are pretty dangerous, yes.  Carseats require the seat they are on to be bolted to the frame, and the only seats that do that in an rv are  the two front seats.  So you have to put the carseat in the front, turn the airbag off, have kid forward facing, and push seat as far back as possible.  Not a great compromise, really.  The duggars drive those big rv's around with no one strapped in.  Heart attack.

@Chickenbutt Thank you so much for that work! I hope it made a difference for some of those kids.  People get so stubborn about their carseats, and think it's a personal attack when you are trying to help them.

Thankfully our car seat has insane height limits so we can use it for a million years. In the car we often just use a blanket. But the poncho is great walking to and from the car when we're shopping and stuff. Much easier than fussing with a coat or a blanket. We plan to buy a bigger one next year.

I would love a camper some day. But we'd get a travel trailer that hooks onto the back of the vehicle.

Don't get me started on unsecured kids on airplanes...haha!

5 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

*sigh*

I guess this means Spud is no longer breastfeeding?  I would have figured the Duggar women to breastfeed their offspring for as long as possible.

On a similar (but kinda not) train of thought:  I heard someone on public radio talking about the first person to use chloroform for surgeries.   He was scoffed and criticized by many at the time who felt that doing such interfered with God's design for us to have pain during invasive medical procedures.  I wonder if this might be part of the thinking in Gothardism about women having unmedicated childbirth at home?

Mr. Chloroform Guy in history--from all of us who have undergone or will undergo surgery, THANK YOU!

What's the big deal if she stopped breastfeeding? What am I missing here?

7 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Pretty sure rv's are pretty dangerous, yes.  Carseats require the seat they are on to be bolted to the frame, and the only seats that do that in an rv are  the two front seats.  So you have to put the carseat in the front, turn the airbag off, have kid forward facing, and push seat as far back as possible.  Not a great compromise, really.  The duggars drive those big rv's around with no one strapped in.  Heart attack.

Also, car seats require the seat they are in to face the front of the vehicle. So even if there is an RV that bolts the seats to the frame, the sideways and rear-facing vehicle seats can't be used for car seats. The only safe way to bring children with an RV is to tow a trailer behind a vehicle that transports passengers, or bring a separate car. And RVs are full of projectiles. 

It makes me sad that some people don't take car safety seriously especially with their kids. You can tell people who have never been in a bad wreck. I was in a 1 car crash in my early 20s (no kids). My ex-bf just zoned out going 80 mph down the interstate, lost control and flipped the car in the median. It happened in the blink of an eye on a sunny afternoon and our seat belts saved our lives. Car seats aren't just a place to hold your kid while you drive or just a silly law, the entire point is to ensure they're as save as possible just in case. How is that not a top priority?

11 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

@quiverofdoubtYep. I spent many, many hours in my career trying to educate parents/grandparents about carseats after crashes. Including insurance reimbursement, not being able to assess a carseats safety by looking at it, the fire department and police department expertise in installation. Some people are just too stupid to understand the importance of it all.

They didn't have carseats in the Bible, so how could anyone know what's true?

God thinks their car seat use is just fine! Or that's what the Duggars would tell you.

8 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I knew someone would comment on this, because (see my last sentence)...

It's not a big deal and I didn't say it was, now, did I?  My remark was simply an indication that I would be surprised given that these people love home births, home schooling, not wandering too far outside the fold, thriftiness, etc.  I would have imagined that breastfeeding would go on for the better part of a year.  I didn't make a judgement call on what Jessa should do or whether it would be a good or bad choice.  

I tell ya, just mention the word "breastfeeding" on FJ or "breasts" in relationship to a baby's nutrition and you really get people's attention, don't you?

4 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

tell ya, just mention the word "breastfeeding" on FJ or "breasts" in relationship to a baby's nutrition and you really get people's attention, don't you?

I don't think it's just a FJ thing. Breastfeeding is just a hot button topic in general. People take offense one way or another.

IMHO as long as you are feeding your baby I don't care if it's breast milk or formula as long as the baby is fed and being taken care of that is all that matters

Thankfully our car seat has insane height limits so we can use it for a million years. In the car we often just use a blanket. But the poncho is great walking to and from the car when we're shopping and stuff. Much easier than fussing with a coat or a blanket. We plan to buy a bigger one next year.

I would love a camper some day. But we'd get a travel trailer that hooks onto the back of the vehicle.

Don't get me started on unsecured kids on airplanes...haha!

one thing to be aware of, that i didn't realize till very recently, is that there are essentially three height limits per seat. The stated height limit. The overal torso + head limit, and the harness slot height limit. My daughter is around 40" tall, but her torso is like 15/16 inches of that, and her head is probably another 8-10. Yeah, all head and torso.  So while she would have fit the seat height wise, she outgrew the shell height rf.  And she was maybe 3/4 of an inch away from the harness limit ff as well.  If your seats harness slots are really low the overall height limit is worth less.  So now  before buying seats i dig through the internet to find the harness height limit.  

7 hours ago, Felloffthetree said:

Also, car seats require the seat they are in to face the front of the vehicle. So even if there is an RV that bolts the seats to the frame, the sideways and rear-facing vehicle seats can't be used for car seats. The only safe way to bring children with an RV is to tow a trailer behind a vehicle that transports passengers, or bring a separate car. And RVs are full of projectiles. 

Yes, this too!  I'm like 90% sure I've seen the duggars put their bucket seats in the side facing rv seats. While everyone else was running around free, or at least not in seat belts. Making themselves projectiles.  I guess if the kids die in a wreck it's just part of god's plan?

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!

Gimme a free RV, or camper, or RPod, or 5th wheel, or teardrop, or conversion van, or any kind of temporary home on wheels.

11 minutes ago, nst said:

So who took one for the team and watched gma.

my plane leaves in two hours so I can't.

i did a recap in the paroled from jesus jail josh comes home part 14  thread

5 minutes ago, Diggingupdirt said:

i did a recap in the paroled from jesus jail josh comes home part 14  thread

Does the video at the link I posted have the entire interview you watched or was there more???

I watched the 15 min counting on preview last night & there's a talking head of Anna saying "have the next right thought, do the next right thing, for the next 5 minutes." Assumed in reference to getting through her current circumstances. So sad she thinks this way.

Wow. JD sounds just like Jim-Boob. They should realize by now that people would be more sympathetic and understanding if they'd just admit that Josh (and their parents) did wrong; the "devil" did not take his best shot. I guess Jessa and JD are the new spokespeople instead of Jill and Josh.

Also the interviewer asking if their Mom still does their laundry. Please she hasn't done their laundry in 20 years!

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

I knew someone would comment on this, because (see my last sentence)...

It's not a big deal and I didn't say it was, now, did I?  My remark was simply an indication that I would be surprised given that these people love home births, home schooling, not wandering too far outside the fold, thriftiness, etc.  I would have imagined that breastfeeding would go on for the better part of a year.  I didn't make a judgement call on what Jessa should do or whether it would be a good or bad choice.  

I tell ya, just mention the word "breastfeeding" on FJ or "breasts" in relationship to a baby's nutrition and you really get people's attention, don't you?

I was just curious about the *sigh* at the beginning. Made it seem like it was sad that she quit breastfeeding or something.

The only thing reason I would be surprised about them stopping breastfeeding early is that formula is super expensive and they are super cheap. I wonder if they are the type of morons that would water it down to save money.

1 hour ago, quiverofdoubt said:

one thing to be aware of, that i didn't realize till very recently, is that there are essentially three height limits per seat. The stated height limit. The overal torso + head limit, and the harness slot height limit. My daughter is around 40" tall, but her torso is like 15/16 inches of that, and her head is probably another 8-10. Yeah, all head and torso.  So while she would have fit the seat height wise, she outgrew the shell height rf.  And she was maybe 3/4 of an inch away from the harness limit ff as well.  If your seats harness slots are really low the overall height limit is worth less.  So now  before buying seats i dig through the internet to find the harness height limit.  

Yes, this too!  I'm like 90% sure I've seen the duggars put their bucket seats in the side facing rv seats. While everyone else was running around free, or at least not in seat belts. Making themselves projectiles.  I guess if the kids die in a wreck it's just part of god's plan?

Hmm...I'll have to see if I can find the harness height limit on both of our seats. They are both convertibles that go to belted boosters though so would that matter when they get to that point? Thankfully for rear facing he will outgrow with weight before height so it's much easier to know when it's time to turn him.

1 minute ago, ClaraOswin said:

I was just curious about the *sigh* at the beginning. Made it seem like it was sad that she quit breastfeeding or something.

The only thing reason I would be surprised about them stopping breastfeeding early is that formula is super expensive and they are super cheap. I wonder if they are the type of morons that would water it down to save money.

Hmm...I'll have to see if I can find the harness height limit on both of our seats. They are both convertibles that go to belted boosters though so would that matter when they get to that point? Thankfully for rear facing he will outgrow with weight before height so it's much easier to know when it's time to turn him.

If you're using the seat belt the harness height doesn't matter.  But i prefer to harness as long  as possible, at least in our main vehicle.  I think they have to be 4 at least before you can use the belt, although the law varies by state.  Most kids aren't physically ready, or mature enough, for a belt, even with a high backed booster, until much later than that.  The britax frontier has the longest harness capabilities of all the current ff seats on the market, so that's what we moved to when she outgrew her convertible.  Our convertible went to 40 lbs rf i believe, but she outgrew it around 35 lbs, height wise.

Archived