IGNORED

Counting On (everyone being civil in...) - part 2

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JillyO, please see my apology to you, last post of closed thread.

I want to again express my appreciation for @Buzzard taking one for the team. Are you accepting drink coupons?

The last thing I hate watched was the sexual abuse special, and it sickened me. Can't even hate watch anymore.

Counting on is such a weird title for the show. How about moving on? There are so many things I can think of for counting on, money, audience forgetting about Josh, people not being bored out of their minds, etc. All I can think of is negatives for counting on. If they wanted to make a break from and counting, then why not come up with a different title?

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Counting on is such a weird title for the show. How about moving on? There are so many things I can think of for counting on, money, audience forgetting about Josh, people not being bored out of their minds, etc. All I can think of is negatives for counting on. If they wanted to make a break from and counting, then why not come up with a different title?

I don't think they wanted to make a break from "And Counting."  I think the reference is supposed to be to how the next generation is going to have more babies.  That is why Jill and Jessa (the daughters who are married and procreating) are in the title and why Anna and the M kids are part of ongoing plot lines.   On some level, the TLC folks seem to see the Duggar success as connected to their fecundity.  

I totally agree that it is a stupid title.  It lends itself to a lot of snark, though, so we shouldn't complain.

13 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

@JillyO, please see my apology to you, last post of closed thread.

Thank you for that. I don't like it when someone puts words in my mouth, so I appreciate your apology, and I apologize for reacting so harshly in my initial reply.

I am also curious about who designed the treehouse and if any professionals checked it out. Hopefully it's safe for those kids.

Duggars and safety? They can't even figure out how to use car seats correctly, and children running barefoot across the counters is perfectly OK. My guess is that TLC had some professionals come in.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Because the Duggar children are continuing to add to the "count" of Arrows in the Army.

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

I am also curious about who designed the treehouse and if any professionals checked it out. Hopefully it's safe for those kids.

Don't worry.  I'm sure Michelle's homeschooling qualifies Jana to be a professional architect. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Duggars and safety? They can't even figure out how to use car seats correctly, and children running barefoot across the counters is perfectly OK. My guess is that TLC had some professionals come in.

Oh good! i'm not the only one who notices the carseat usage.  (did you know you can't safely secure a carseat in a motor home/rv, btw? yeah, you can't.  also, you aren't supposed to buy used carseats).

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

Don't worry.  I'm sure Michelle's homeschooling qualifies Jana to be a professional architect. :pb_lol:

The sad part is that drawing they showed of the future tree house. It was actually pretty good.  Whoever made it, it's implied that one of the girls did, has potential to be an architect, artist, graphic artist or whatever. She'll just never get the chance.

I've talked to people here about the car seat issues before too. Drives me insane. But I am one of those super annoying people who constantly posts blogs and articles about car seat safety and proper usage on Facebook. :)

I think I can count on one hand the times I've seen the Duggars use car seats correctly. Normally the straps are too loose. They are in puffy coats. Forward facing way too early. Etc. And I'd be shocked if the car seats WEREN'T used.

This is awful.

ziunwjjG5OR0F8NhkQbOfo6X43Q37kDe_lg.jpg

3 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I've talked to people here about the car seat issues before too. Drives me insane. But I am one of those super annoying people who constantly posts blogs and articles about car seat safety and proper usage on Facebook. :)

I think I can count on one hand the times I've seen the Duggars use car seats correctly. Normally the straps are too loose. They are in puffy coats. Forward facing way too early. Etc. And I'd be shocked if the car seats WEREN'T used.

I'm the person sharing your carseat posts. and hang out in carseat groups. my kid rear faced till she hit the limits, close to 4. Wish i made it to 4.

I remember the duggars, in some episode years ago maybe? or their book or blog, mentioning that they buy everything used, and that included carseats (so much cheaper!)  we buy almost everything used too. We use those savings to invest in high quality, high limit, brand new, car seats.  i've seen the duggars put bucket seats on a sideways facing rv bench seat. NOOOOOO. just no. Even adults aren't supposed to be in those when the vehicle is moving. 

In the ER, whenever a child in a carseat was in an accident, however minor, we always told the parents that the recommendation was to get a new carseat. I can't tell you how many parents and grandparents would say things like "Oh we looked it over and it looks fine". We finally had pamphlets printed up explaining the recommendations, and gave one to every adult that had a carseat in the car during a crash. Stupid people did I just say that?

That picture is giving me a mild panic attack. Holy cow.  Everything @Bad Wolf said, plus it's clearly outgrown. His head looks above the shell, and most seats are 1" below shell, though they vary, none allow what i'm seeing there. I doubt it's installed right, either.

@Chickenbutt- most insurance companies will replace a carseat if it was in a wreck, even if a kid wasn't in it.  Even low speeds, where no one was hurt. A seat can look fine, but be damaged. Which is why you avoid used. That and who knows how the straps were washed. or the seat cover.

Yikes.

I don't have children and even I know buying a used carseat is a huge no no. 

You'd think someone who has popped out 19 kids would know that. 

@quiverofdoubtYep. I spent many, many hours in my career trying to educate parents/grandparents about carseats after crashes. Including insurance reimbursement, not being able to assess a carseats safety by looking at it, the fire department and police department expertise in installation. Some people are just too stupid to understand the importance of it all.

I think when forward facing, kid's heads can be closer to the top. Not sure though because my son (2.5 years old) is still rear-facing. We even bought a new seat so he could rear face longer. When we purchased his first convertible seat, I didn't think about how quickly he'd outgrow it rear facing. I was not comfortable turning him yet so we bought another seat. I'd love to make it as close to 4 as we can but he's a pretty big kid so we'll be lucky to make it to 3-3.5. 

We also use a Car Seat Poncho in the winter instead of a coat.  http://www.carseatponcho.com/

Traveling in an RV isn't really safe at all is it? I've heard horror stories about them crumpling like a tin can in an accident. 

Just now, ClaraOswin said:

I think when forward facing, kid's heads can be closer to the top. Not sure though because my son (2.5 years old) is still rear-facing. We even bought a new seat so he could rear face longer. When we purchased his first convertible seat, I didn't think about how quickly he'd outgrow it rear facing. I was not comfortable turning him yet so we bought another seat. I'd love to make it as close to 4 as we can but he's a pretty big kid so we'll be lucky to make it to 3-3.5. 

We also use a Car Seat Poncho in the winter instead of a coat.  http://www.carseatponcho.com/

Traveling in an RV isn't really safe at all is it? I've heard horror stories about them crumpling like a tin can in an accident. 

A little bit closer to the top. But it looks like, from this angle, he is over the top. Their whole head needs to be inside the seat, to support the head and neck in a collision. My daughter outgrew her britax because her head was so big that despite not outgrowing the height limit (ff) or the weight, her head was within an inch of the shell top.  My kid always just got a blanket or extra jacket thrown over hte seat, even in really cold weather.  We rarely ever took the bucket seat out anyway, she hated being in it while awake.  

Pretty sure rv's are pretty dangerous, yes.  Carseats require the seat they are on to be bolted to the frame, and the only seats that do that in an rv are  the two front seats.  So you have to put the carseat in the front, turn the airbag off, have kid forward facing, and push seat as far back as possible.  Not a great compromise, really.  The duggars drive those big rv's around with no one strapped in.  Heart attack.

@Chickenbutt Thank you so much for that work! I hope it made a difference for some of those kids.  People get so stubborn about their carseats, and think it's a personal attack when you are trying to help them.

According to pickles jessa and jinger and some others are off to either El Salvador or somewhere else.

no pictures of Ben or spud at the airport.

first 

i totally called it -storyline purposes

two

storyline Ben and spud home alone or in his hometown 

or he meets Jill and Derick by himself 

this could go on forever

21 minutes ago, nst said:

According to pickles jessa and jinger and some others are off to either El Salvador or somewhere else.

Jessa? El Salvador? Zika?

Oh my.

Maybe when she said "we won't be having 19 biological children" at that Southern Women's Conference she meant that she was planning on using bc and is now doing so and thus can travel to El. Salvador without risk of exposing a fetus to Zika.

Let's hope the story line isn't Blessa adopt an orphan from another country.

1 minute ago, sndral said:

Jessa? El Salvador? Zika?

Oh my.

Maybe when she said "we won't be having 19 biological children" at that Southern Women's Conference she meant that she was planning on using bc and is now doing so and thus can travel to El. Salvador without risk of exposing a fetus to Zika.

Let's hope the story line isn't Blessa adopt an orphan from another country.

I think it's entirely that. P,us with the sisters nonetheless.

girls weekend trip

entitlement 

28 minutes ago, nst said:

no pictures of Ben or spud at the airport.

first 

i totally called it -storyline purposes

two

storyline Ben and spud home alone or in his hometown 

*sigh*

I guess this means Spud is no longer breastfeeding?  I would have figured the Duggar women to breastfeed their offspring for as long as possible.

On a similar (but kinda not) train of thought:  I heard someone on public radio talking about the first person to use chloroform for surgeries.   He was scoffed and criticized by many at the time who felt that doing such interfered with God's design for us to have pain during invasive medical procedures.  I wonder if this might be part of the thinking in Gothardism about women having unmedicated childbirth at home?

Mr. Chloroform Guy in history--from all of us who have undergone or will undergo surgery, THANK YOU!

5 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

*sigh*

I guess this means Spud is no longer breastfeeding?  I would have figured the Duggar women to breastfeed their offspring for as long as possible.

On a similar (but kinda not) train of thought:  I heard someone on public radio talking about the first person to use chloroform for surgeries.   He was scoffed and criticized by many at the time who felt that doing such interfered with God's design for us to have pain during invasive medical procedures.  I wonder if this might be part of the thinking in Gothardism about women having unmedicated childbirth at home?

Mr. Chloroform Guy in history--from all of us who have undergone or will undergo surgery, THANK YOU!

This is why. I love FJ - no clue about breastfeeding.

so in other words, regarding jessa what does that mean?

and does this surprise you mothers out there?

I think Jill still breastfeeding. Maybe she left 86 bottles for spud.

but why would she leave him?

4 minutes ago, nst said:

This is why. I love FJ - no clue about breastfeeding.

so in other words, regarding jessa what does that mean?

and does this surprise you mothers out there?

I think Jill still breastfeeding. Maybe she left 86 bottles for spud.

but why would she leave him?

I don't understand the leap to no longer breastfeeding? maybe she's been pumping all along and has a freezer full of milk. 

Also, baby's don't need plane tickets, so who says baby is being separated from mom?

Also, michelle said she stopped breastfeeding most of hers around 6/7 months- usually when she was pregnant with the next baby. Pregnancy can change the taste/supply etc of your milk, and some babes don't like that and quit on their own.

Archived