IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

The girls look VERY different, I didn't even recognize Jana, Jessa & Jinger, in that pic of the 4 of them.  If this were any other family of sister, I would have teared up, it is such a sweet photo of a seemingly wonderful sister bond, and I do love their made down looks, they always wore too much make up and it looks like they lost that permed MEchelle do.  Which I hope they keep, I really do hope this gives them a way out, and allows them to be less self repetitious folks, and maybe just maybe get an education because right now, they have NO SKILLS and no ability to get skills to lead a "normal life".  Most of you who were raised in this life know that if they leave abruptly they will be cut off from everything and everyone they know.  

IMO a lot of you are way to hard on these kids, especially the younger adults.  I have an 18 year old who was raised to be an independent adult, and he still isn't ready to be off on his own totally. These kids even the married ones are nothing more than 14 year olds in adult bodies and adult lives.  Only Derrick has had the education, training and independence to know better, but even smart people can get turned into a cult.  I think JB is a cult leader, controlling enigmatic and shrewd.  But I still think Derrick is being an asshole, as for Joy & Josiah, Joe, and Jinger  (but even she is starting to be old enough ) are too young to know or be self aware enough that they do have options. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the Ancestry.com show they  have "Who Do You Think You Are". I hope that comes back but I haven't seen any promos and it has been awhile. That is a quality show. Maybe their only one, nothing else comes to mind at the moment. Watched "Married By Mom and Dad" and that was just sad. And invasive. 

I agree with the posters who think the show will be boring. These are just not interesting people, I can't imagine the show being a hit beyond the first few episodes - and that is only because people will tune in for scandal fallout.

I also wanted to mention Joy's tear - that was really strange. It was really kind of an odd promo all around, but that was some awkward faux-poignancy.

To sum up what I expect from the show?

:TrainWreckMotion:

Noticing that all the Duggars in the next season are over 18, I can't help but desperately hope wonder if they're starting to band together as siblings and push back from some of the shit JB&DQ put them through. Obviously not enough to pull away completely but just enough to assert themselves a bit more, have a teeny bit more autonomy. In that one 30-sec promo we've already seen more personality in the kids than we had in the entirety of 17/18/19KAC.

I have this great fantasy in my head where they do a season, save that money to move out and get jobs and support themselves far away from Jim Boob. Of course, it's a fantasy. 

But as another poster said, these kids are victims of their own upbringing. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they got a taste of the real world and embraced hard work and real life?

Wishful thinking. Anyway. I'm off to get my wine ready and get my snark on.

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

IMO a lot of you are way to hard on these kids, especially the younger adults.  I have an 18 year old who was raised to be an independent adult, and he still isn't ready to be off on his own totally. These kids even the married ones are nothing more than 14 year olds in adult bodies and adult lives.  Only Derrick has had the education, training and independence to know better, but even smart people can get turned into a cult.  I think JB is a cult leader, controlling enigmatic and shrewd.  But I still think Derrick is being an asshole, as for Joy & Josiah, Joe, and Jinger  (but even she is starting to be old enough ) are too young to know or be self aware enough that they do have options. 

Honestly you just reiterated what I see most people say here.  I dunno maybe we're just on different threads.

2 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

They've been laying the groundwork for this since they were first "cancelled". They read what critics said and addressed it during the three specials, especially by distancing themselves from Josh. They tried to stand by Josh at first and infuriated and alienated many viewers. When that didn't work they went with the public flow and began to curry favor by admitting he wasn't what he purported to be. 

I believe his siblings' reactions were scripted to please the audience. I don't believe John normally would have said he was disappointed in Josh, the girls wouldn't have basically said Josh threw them under the bus by not revealing his extramarital activities. They always show a united front--in my opinion their reactions were merely a performance for the audience. They were working on becoming palatable again.

The Duggars are masters of manipulation, and just by posting and being upset about this they are getting to me, too. I will not watch, look at websites that offer stories or updates, or buy magazines that promote them. Little good it will do in the long term, but I'm done.

It's pretty obvious that the 3 part mini-series was just to gauge the reaction of fans and audiences. There weren't any major problems and it got enough views. It was all a test- and it passed, albeit maybe not with the viewership they wanted. 

Playing the tearful victim worked-not the victim of sexual abuse or the victim of a destructive cult, but the victim of evil media being too hard on them. Now, we have to look at how brave and empowered they are by having babies in arranged marriages while their father controls all aspects of their life. 

That's their brand now and they're going to run with it. 

3 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Honestly you just reiterated what I see most people say here.  I dunno maybe we're just on different threads.

Possibly, or I'm just focusing on the negative words and missing their points. I have a tendency to do that. 

6 minutes ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

Noticing that all the Duggars in the next season are over 18, I can't help but desperately hope wonder if they're starting to band together as siblings and push back from some of the shit JB&DQ put them through. Obviously not enough to pull away completely but just enough to assert themselves a bit more, have a teeny bit more autonomy. In that one 30-sec promo we've already seen more personality in the kids than we had in the entirety of 17/18/19KAC.

I have this great fantasy in my head where they do a season, save that money to move out and get jobs and support themselves far away from Jim Boob. Of course, it's a fantasy. .

I do to, they are all they have really.  Yes they have a few friends, but those are new as well. It could be but, you are right it is probably just a fantasy. 

I predict the following:

1. A trip to Big Sandy to help Pecan & Pris on their house. (possible Josh sighting)

2. No Josh sighting in the 1st episode

3. Allusions to Josiah's dropped courtship with Marjorie; "we were too immature but we are good friends now, etc."  --perhaps even with hints that they may get back together .

4. Someone enrolling in sort of college class, or at least filming of someone studying for their real estate or commercial drivers license.

5.  Flying 

1 hour ago, Piano gal said:

All I can say is at least I'll have snark to read while I'm sitting around recovering from a double mastectomy. :56247958af296_32(20):

Piano gal, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

I'm 5 years out from being diagnosed with breast cancer, stage 1 and 0, in both boobs  :/

It's totally doable and surviveable and you will be fine.

xoxo!

Also, Anna is super briefly in the promo as well with new baby M.

Really, looking at the trailer you forget that they are fundies. And I think that's exactly what they were going for. You don't notice their modest clothes. Their hair and make up is more contemporary. Also JB and Michelle aren't squawking about God and future little blessings either.

Interesting how TLC really just cared about them in the beginning because of their separateness from modern Americans, but now they are trying to make them look like the Family Next Door. 

Yeah I hate Jessa's bangs. She looks like she is well into her 30's. Why her stylist would give her bangs is beyond me, out of all the Duggar girls she has the smallest forehead. They really, really age her. To the point I had to stop the clip and ask myself who that was.

1 minute ago, mausi said:

Are we sure TLC isn't re-staging the Arkansas version of The Lion King? It's the circle of life, y'all.

9Ymi3IQ.png

Reveal hidden contents

circle_of_life_simba.jpg

OMG you are so right. Jessa is doing the Simba thing and everyone else looks like they're doing animalistic dancing. 

Is that Jinger who almost has her knees showing? 

Wonder if one of the stories will be following Derick around on his DR appointments for his surgery and braces. Babies, braces, missionaries and I bet there's also a new set of Duggar kids that need to have their wisdom teeth out. So many story line possibilities!!

Spoiler

duggars.png.6946a54b90a9c2c8950aa23fbe1b

dug2.png.e397002d83352d3e91b43f1a53bba02

That first still reminds me of a tv show or movie trailer. Not the duggars. And I have no idea which one...
The last one is just weird. Jana is way too happy or Jessa + Joy didn't read the happy-vibe memo

5 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That first still reminds me of a tv show or movie trailer. Not the duggars. And I have no idea which one...
The last one is just weird. Jana is way too happy or Jessa + Joy didn't read the happy-vibe memo

They way they are holding each other in that first one seems so unnatural to me. Especially Jessa's hand on Joy's face. Maybe they're not used to trying to be affectionate with each other. Or maybe I'm just not used to seeing it. 

A few comments

First of all the show is called 'Jill and Jessa Counting On' yet the promo photos don't show Jill in there at all (I know the reasons why, but there's photoshop).   The girls look different in them, but I like that look for them.

This will come with an announcement from the family.  Either Jill's knocked up (the Spurge is too young, Anna's been apart from Josh) and/or there's a courtship brewing.  I'd love to see Joy pull an Alyssa Bates and get the hell out of dodge.

20 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:
  Hide contents

That is weird. Jessa looks too happy in the top photo, but not happy enough in the bottom....youd think the PR people would have reshots done until it was right...

54 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I really like the Ancestry.com show they  have "Who Do You Think You Are". I hope that comes back but I haven't seen any promos and it has been awhile. That is a quality show. Maybe their only one, nothing else comes to mind at the moment. Watched "Married By Mom and Dad" and that was just sad. And invasive. 

LOVE "who Do you think you are"

Do you watch the PBS show "Finding your Roots" with Henry Louis Gates Jr? That is really good.

I went to the Duggar site and found a 'season' summary:

Jessa and Ben are adjusting to life with baby Spurgeon, while Jill and Derick continue their mission work in Central America. Jana, Jinger, Joy Anna, John David, Josiah and Joseph continue to explore their own talents and passions, and the sisters take a much needed girls’ trip with sister-in-law Anna. JILL AND JESSA: COUNTING ON follows these older Duggars as they experience the growing pains of additional responsibility and figuring out adulthood for themselves.

So it does seem to mainly focus on the 18+ crowd (minus Josh)

The "girls" really do look different even compared to what we saw in the recent scandals. I guess TLC is really pulling out all the stops for their return. I'm not sure what can be shown about Joy or Jinger's lives that wouldn't indicate that they're spending the flower of their youth looking after their parents' kids. But I guess the leghumpers did have a problem with that before, so I guess it doesn't matter.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived