IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

Out of all the interesting things you could make into a TV show, TLC went with the Duggars. None of these kids are ever going to leave of their own accord. They're all gonna be under the thumb of Jim Boob and Michelle for the rest of their lives. The only things they can expect from life are courtships, marriages, and babies.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a sinking feeling that crazy-eyed Sierra will be costarring as their wacky friend.

I much prefer Amy over Sierra.

Sierra and her bug-eyes; she is an over the top carachiture of a parody of a trainwreck.

1 hour ago, Jucifer said:

Piano gal, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

I'm 5 years out from being diagnosed with breast cancer, stage 1 and 0, in both boobs  :/

It's totally doable and surviveable and you will be fine.

xoxo!

Thank you so much.  I'm glad you are doing fine. 

I'm blessed in that mine is preventative due to the Brca2 gene. Still no fun but I'm glad to have the knowledge. Peace to you. 

Thanks everyone else!

How is this even possible without advertisers and viewers?

It's the beginning of the end for TLC 

Is Jessa's hair with bangs really a wig?? Because the bangs keep disappearing and then coming back.

I am glad they are showing more of Jana, she seems a bit more open in promos. I also notice she has the same laugh as Jessa which gets on my nerves.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

Oh fuck all of this with a rusty spoon. They're the goddamn teflon family. What's it take!?!

For so many reasons, but right now for the above, I love you, mela!

This is definitely the Jessa show, which is fine by me because Jill is even MORE boring and gets on my nerves... and i think s. Elliot is adorable.

39 minutes ago, Piano gal said:

Thank you so much.  I'm glad you are doing fine. 

I'm blessed in that mine is preventative due to the Brca2 gene. Still no fun but I'm glad to have the knowledge. Peace to you. 

Thanks everyone else!

I'm glad to hear that it's preventative. :)  It really sucks, though, and believe me, I feel your pain.

My mother and maternal grandmother both died from breast cancer.  In her last years I talked my mom into getting tested for the Brca gene.  I was concerned that my little sister might have inherited it.

My mom tested negative.  It just goes to show how much is yet to be learned about the causes for BC. :(

Anyway, you still have my good thoughts and X's and O's too! :)

There's more than a good chance of JBoob and Mullet being prominently featured in this new series. They did "surprise" visit Jill and Derick in Central America recently. I'm sure that will be a plot point for one of the episodes. Blech.

30 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

How is this even possible without advertisers and viewers?

It's the beginning of the end for TLC 

The specials got good ratings without many advertisers. TLC can use the data from the specials to get advertisers back in. Some advertisers just care about viewership and some advertisers don't check public opinion. I'm sure TLC is telling them that America is embracing the girls and are willing to look past Josh. I guess in March after the first episodes airs there will be some advertisers that wake up to twitter and facebook accounts full of angry comments for their sponsorship of the show.

3 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

I guess in March after the first episodes airs there will be some advertisers that wake up to twitter and facebook accounts full of angry comments for their sponsorship of the show.

Counting on that!

4 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I think people tuned in to see how they would respond to the trainwreck.  I highly doubt they can maintain an audience for a full season.  No one cares about Bin and Jessa not working, going shopping, or watching J'derick proselytize to catholics. 

If they'd cut the bullshit & start w/Anna & Josh & show us how it's REALLY going, yeah, ratings.

1 minute ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

There's more than a good chance of JBoob and Mullet being prominently featured in this new series. They did "surprise" visit Jill and Derick in Central America recently. I'm sure that will be a plot point for one of the episodes. Blech.

I have no doubt in the mind that is why they did it. The "suprise" element, and probably the trip in general was definitely for the cameras and to make sure Jill doesn't stray too far from the cult ideology. 

There is no doubt in my mind they will be a part of the show. 

22 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Is Jessa's hair with bangs really a wig?? Because the bangs keep disappearing and then coming back.

I am glad they are showing more of Jana, she seems a bit more open in promos. I also notice she has the same laugh as Jessa which gets on my nerves.

Something I didn't realize but apparently happens in lots of families: members have the same type of laugh.  My soon hone SIL mentioned it over a dinner one night- all my 6 kids and I have the same laugh.  We all denied it, and other soon to be SIL affirmed, saying when we all laugh together it sounds like a chorus harmonizing...same song, different tones? notes?   Idunno.  Strange.

2 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Also, Anna is super briefly in the promo as well with new baby M.

Really, looking at the trailer you forget that they are fundies. And I think that's exactly what they were going for. You don't notice their modest clothes. Their hair and make up is more contemporary. Also JB and Michelle aren't squawking about God and future little blessings either.

Interesting how TLC really just cared about them in the beginning because of their separateness from modern Americans, but now they are trying to make them look like the Family Next Door. 

I was thinking about this (bolded part), and I agree. What I still wonder about is how JB justifies all of this to himself and his faith. They used to be so openly conservative Christians, calling the show a ministry, wearing pro-life shirts on air, using homeschool curriculums that teach biblical patriarchy... are they really going to be done paying lip service to all of that?

I know cognitive dissonance is a force, but I feel like members of their hyper-fundie community should be calling out this pandering to the "world" by now. It seems like without that (albeit shitty) philosophical background, the rest of this nonsense (like courting, skirts, echewing birth control, etc.) could easily fall by the wayside. 

Without the just not-just-wholesome-but-EXTREME Christian image, what are they? What is their community? I don't honestly see the Duggars turning fundie-light, but it would allow them to keep making money off their fame without the facade of it being a ministry and there being nothing worldly about it.

2 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Really, looking at the trailer you forget that they are fundies. And I think that's exactly what they were going for. You don't notice their modest clothes. Their hair and make up is more contemporary. Also JB and Michelle aren't squawking about God and future little blessings either.

Interesting how TLC really just cared about them in the beginning because of their separateness from modern Americans, but now they are trying to make them look like the Family Next Door. 

You're right.  The real tip-off is the end of the promo clip where Jessa says, "Family is everything."  It used to be Jesus was everything.  No more.

1 minute ago, DuggarWatch said:

You're right.  The real tip-off is the end of the promo clip where Jessa says, "Family is everything."  It used to be Jesus was everything.  No more.

Good catch, good catch.

Also a good segue into opening their arms wide for Josh to come home :roll:

3 minutes ago, TheSilverTongue said:

More promo photos looking all serene and artsy in black and white. No more curls I guess :(1916729_1870308786529007_887915384437030

Well, I mean, it's not like they can really do the quaint, wholesome thing anymore.

Guess TLC is trying to do the image makeover thing.

Also, thanks @Buzzard and the rest of FJ for recapping this so I don't have to. God knows any free time that's not on here has to be spent watching un-wholesome things, like Gordon Ramsay cussing dramatic people out on Hell's Kitchen.

Seriously, why do people watch this boring shit? I'd rather watch the Kardashians, truthfully.

20 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

I'm glad to hear that it's preventative. :)  It really sucks, though, and believe me, I feel your pain.

My mother and maternal grandmother both died from breast cancer.  In her last years I talked my mom into getting tested for the Brca gene.  I was concerned that my little sister might have inherited it.

My mom tested negative.  It just goes to show how much is yet to be learned about the causes for BC. :(

Anyway, you still have my good thoughts and X's and O's too! :)

Wow. I'm super sorry for your loss. Hugs. 

So I found more info. 

Here's the site http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/jill-and-jessa-counting-on-is-coming-back-find-out-what-youll-see-this-season/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=countingontlc&sf21413143=1

Here are a few moments that we are excited about seeing in this season:

- Jessa and Ben are adjusting to life with baby Spurgeon

- Jill and Derick continue their mission work in Central America

- Jana, Jinger, Joy Anna, John David, Josiah and Joseph explore their own talents and passions

- The sisters take a much-needed girls' trip with sister-in-law Anna.

I'm excited to see the Duggar men. God knows what they've been up to all this time. I'm convinced John David is a secret rebel. He's the most independent of the Duggar clan.

Seriously though, what are those kid's talents and passions besides Jesus and doing chores for the family? Playing mediocre piano? 

What if they are allowed to explore other interests thanks to TLC prompting them and JB&M can't say shit about it or else stop the money from coming in? I secretly (and probably stupidly) hope that TLC is going to put these older kids out into the world in more age appropriate situations. Maybe they could interact with non-JBM approved friends and actually enjoy life a little bit. Or pick up some books to read. Not saying it will happen, but it would make me smile if they got some freedom out of this crazy train. 

I'm sure Jinger's photography will be featured. We also have the treehouse lumber shopping episode to look forward to:my_sick:, as well as the Sierra/Joy shopping outing.

I definitely think the boys will be the most interesting to watch. Jana seemed to get more airtime than usual, Jinger didn't get much in comparison.

20 minutes ago, TheSilverTongue said:

More promo photos looking all serene and artsy in black and white. No more curls I guess :(1916729_1870308786529007_887915384437030

Wtf!?  That is just a strange photo.

So this is why I woke up with the stomach flu this morning. God wanted me to express my feelings about this as literally as possible.

Brb. Have to vom.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived