IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

I can't believe that promo has a song playing that has the word courage in it. I yelled at the screen while it was on saying, "Hey Duggars, if you want me to think you're courageous why don't you try living your life out of the spotlight and then leave the cult." 

I predict a pregnancy announcement from Jill and Derrick the day the first episode airs. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Suz8710 said:

Poor JD...they kept his pit stains in for all to see. :giggle:

image.png

That was the first thing I noticed, too... other than Jinger's weird straitjacket pose!

Agree with the others who have said she is way less orange, though. Being paler suits her. Sad to see her hair so straight, though -- isn't she the only one with real curls? I also hadn't noticed before how strongly she resembles Michelle.

18 minutes ago, lascuba said:

"Healing from the past" is such a bullshit concept for them unless they're going to retract their previous statements that the molestation wasn't a big deal. The only thing they believe they need to "heal" from is the evil media being "mean" to them.

this is what I have been thinking all day.  Healing from the past is such bullshit because they all think they didn't do anything wrong. And Jessa's meme attitude with crowning child in toe is just silly. 

I knew they would come back - and notice all the adult children  - all around Jessa - who loves being the centre of attention - and Ben is just in the background - its pure coincidence - he is interchangeable - i said it before.

the pictures especially the black and white is so predictable and so let us heal you vibe 

39 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Alright, I've had the time to analyze the new promotional pictures TLC has put out for the new show *vomit*. Has anyone noticed what TLC is doing? Look closely. Observe. The images, mostly are in black and white. Look at their faces. There is a sinister message being sold to the public here... Most of them are NOT doing the same "keep sweet show your teeth smile" they always do. Most of their faces look solemn, and most of the girls are huddled together. They even show a close up of Joy crying, with a tear dripping down her face.

Now ask yourself, WHY would TLC choose to portray the Duggar girls in this way?
My opinion: They are portraying them as sad, victims. They hope that by doing so, the public will have sympathy for them and want to "support" them by watching the show. They also end them showing somewhat "happier" but have them all huddled together to look as if they are ALL being victimized by the media and Josh, hoping the public takes pity on them all. TLC WANTS to portray the Duggars as victims, but more also to portray them as "authentic" and "real" since they KNOW the Duggars are criticized for not being authentic.  This reeks of PR doing MAJOR image rehab...

tlc2.png
Look at this one. How does it make you feel? Sad? Good. It's what TLC wants. It makes me feel uncomfortable and sad for the Duggar girls. Why black and white? Why have them huddled together, eyes closed? To paint them as sad and victimized. OT, but this looks like a promo for a motion picture drama about 4 sisters banding together against devastating odds. One sister, suffering from a divorce, another, escaping from her abusive husband while pregnant with his child, the other, possibly suffering from a heartbreaking loss. 

tlc3.JPG
Look at this picture. How does it make you feel? Does it make you feel sad? Good... that is what TLC wants. They are using this one to justify going forward with the series by portraying them as victims, abused by Josh and the media.  They hope the public will take pity and "support" them by tuning in. This reeks of  PR doing MAJOR image rehab...

tlc4.JPG
Look at this one. How does it make you feel? Makes me feel uncomfortable, which is what TLC wants. This is just cruel. Exploiting poor Joy's sadness for $$$.

tlc5.JPG
None of them are showing their "perfect IBLP keep sweet" usual smiles. All of them have a solemn, sad, and quite exhausted expression.

tlc8.JPG
All huddled together, trying to say "We are ALL victims, of Josh & the media, support us."

tlc6.JPG

Here is Jessa going, "Me me me! Everyone is around me. Everyone bow down to me and my beauty, while just sit pretty and rake in the $$$!" She and TLC know they have everyone fooled. I will not buy it. 

JD and Joseph look really awkward in these "candid" pictures that are supposed to convey how spontaneous and fun they are. I hope they're getting checks for participating in this nonsense, but I suspect it all goes into a central Duggar bank that the parents have control over.

The show being boring won't be a problem--it was boring as hell before and people still watched. The ratings will be fine, at least for the first season. They're probably holding Josh in reserve for when/if the ratings start to lag. 

I doubt they'd ever go there, but I've always thought they would be a lot more better received--or *I* would "like" them better as far as TV shows go--if they actually put some real in reality tv. They need to stop trying so hard to sell the lifestyle. Let Josiah say how bored he is when they're doing their big family outings with the little kids; let Joy talk about how much it sucked to have to go from little girl having fun with her brothers to lady-like elder sister; have Jana talk about the almost courtships (because there must have been at least one) and any disappointments over JB rejecting suitors; show a real argument between Jesaa and Ben over whatever; let Jinger say out loud, "Forget contentment. The idea of getting married and being stuck in the country forever makes me want to eat my face off." Let them honestly discuss the relationships among themselves...who really gets along, who can barely tolerate each other and why. Hell, even simple statements of major pet peeves would be a breath of fresh air. Just...honest human emotions and interactions, with no godly lessons in the end about how they might have felt the way for a bit, but it's fine now because Jesus. 

Apologies if someone already said something like this, but I'm in the midst of editing a 100-page paper (with edits due in a few hours), so have not yet read the thread...

They should call it "Breeding Like Rabbits: The Next Generation."

Or maybe "Bad Baby Names by the Dozen."

Or a nod to The Book Of Mormon (the play, not the actual book): "God Wants Us Fucking."

3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

JD and Joseph look really awkward in these "candid" pictures that are supposed to convey how spontaneous and fun they are. I hope they're getting checks for participating in this nonsense, but I suspect it all goes into a central Duggar bank that the parents have control over.

That is the ONLY reason why the Duggar children are doing this show. At first, when TLC approached JB back in June after the scandal broke about doing a spin-off focusing on Jessa & Jill he was adamant and refused. When he realized the cash was drying up, he gave in, most likely ONLY allowing it if the money goes to him. Also, many of the Duggars in this show still live under his roof. You can BET JB only agreed to this because he gets control over the $$$. He is pimping out his daughters.

54 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

@choralcrusader8613 and I had a little idea in chat... 

<bingo snip>

There a few more at this link.

Does it only count if someone says Nike, or if someone is Nike? :P

1 hour ago, nst said:

saw the video - ben is way to happy - it's sickening yet real 

I hope they all get their own pay 

yes Jessa you get it - you want to adopt 

it's overthetop 

Of course he's happy. Now he can get a TLC paycheck and not continue to be his father in law's toilet boy. 

9 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I was just talking to @happy atheist about that.  Pretty sure I signed on to a lifetime of Duggar recaps. I will be there, reisling in hand.

Grateful for you, Buzzard. Those lazy flucks avoided working like the rest of us yet again. There must be something odd about my life that I can grift on...

The thing is, these folks are too BORING for an hour long TV show.

Such hypocrisy, rejecting popular culture and entertainment yet making a living off of having a TV program. 

2 hours ago, Jessalyn said:

There is a different series promo on the TLC page that has more of Jana, adoption talk, and Jessa bangs

First off, TLC's video ads are completely messed up and play over the actual video (if they don't repeat over and over)

Second, Jana can laugh?

The 52 sec promo looks better than the 34 sec 

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Grateful for you, Buzzard. Those lazy flucks avoided working like the rest of us yet again. There must be something odd about my life that I can grift on...

The thing is, these folks are too BORING for an hour long TV show.

Such hypocrisy, rejecting popular culture and entertainment yet making a living off of having a TV program. 

exactly what you said - I think they will be all boring in the way and bring in the person who i don't like to interact with them 

I have been reading the labor laws of Arkansas in relation to child labor and there is a section on "entertainment", but I was actually looking for info about the kidults money. TLC cannot just pay JB for the kidults can they? Unless the kidults gave their written permission for their paychecks to go to JB? Any contract that JB had in regards to the kids that are now adults would have had to have been re-negotiated when the kids became adults I would think. Maybe a lawyer could weigh in? And that does not even scratch the surface of what is happening to the littles money.

ETA: If Spurge and Izzy get paid (?) then their parents would be in control of that money. Not JB. All so complicated.

I had the same impression as others on here that they're being marketed to look more like the Bates'. The siblings seem  a lot more chummy than they normally do.  The jumping for joy and hugging each other is out of character for them.  Maybe this is how they are without cameras around   I wonder if being filmed away from the parents and younger siblings will bring out some real conversations.  I hope Jinger does get a chance to pursue her photography.

I'm wondering how much of the fact that the show was about the "family" mattered.

As in, the show is about the family, so the family is paid. Head of family is Jimboob, so there we are?

I am no lawyer, but I don't think that JB can sign a contract for his adult children. Probably for the littles, but not for anyone over 18. And I suspect that contracts had to be negotiated every time a child turned 18.

I have s sneaking suspicion that if the girls, aka Jessa, couldn't/didn't demand their own compensation, their husbands may have. Derick strikes me as bold enough to stand up & I think Ben would if his father was behind him to offer counter against JB. If Big Daddy was appeased with a sum he could live with... Why not let the girls have their moment. He still gets his "ministry" & the family gets the royal spotlight. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived